Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't need to return any servos since I wanted to check everything out before I purchased anything. I have a bunch of standard size servos I was going to use, but as we found out, they wont work. The HiTech 225s have less torque than the previous servos so now I need to figure out if they are going to be strong enough. As far as the 6s set-up, I'm actually going with a 5s set-up using E-Flite 32s that I had on the shelf. I'll try 4s first and see if that flies it well enough. With the possible AUW being as much as 15lbs, I want plenty of power even if I fly at half throttle. My smaller 52 inch wingspan OV-10 is using two Rimfire 32s on 4s and it flies at half throttle with no problem. I know from that kit that this plane flies like a trainer even with the smallish looking wing.

Comment

Lord HELP me. Mine should arrive Thursday and yeah, it’s gonna nickel and dime me to death! LOL
      it looks awesome but you can keep the gas power accessories, two blade spinners, non- scale non-retracting undercarriage to nock the price down, or maybe throw in the second pilot/observer.
      What size spinner does it take?

Comment

It comes with spinners. I'm going use two 100 amp ESCs that I have from a crashed Freewing A-10. The good thing is that they have long leads and I don't have to add extensions. They also come with capacitors to account for the long length. It also has a separate BEC. I will check the programming of the ESCs once I get a programming card to make sure they are set up for props and not EDFs. I was checking the struts that come with it and you can use the retract set that the A-10 uses but I think I'll wait for the all metal ones that Motion will be stocking soon. One thing about the struts is the spring action is very stiff. It takes a great amount of force to actuate them and I believe that the spring might have to be shortened to relieve some of the tension. I also decided to use the HiTech HS-225BB servos since I have a few already. They fit perfectly and should have plenty of torque. I found some digital servos that Flex Innovations sells will fit as well but this plane should be fine with the analog servos. I will be putting in an Aura for a gyro to make it fly smooth. Once I get all the servos I'll start assembly. Can't wait to get started. Once all the servos are mounted the rest should be quickly.

Comment

Rosytime, I’m aware it comes with spinners, but they are two blade spinners. Why use nonscale two blade props on an electric powered model? That’s one of the things we love, besides no oily mess, we can use scale propellers! So what size are they? ;)

Comment

Rosytime, the power 32s should be ideal! I’m thinking of using FMS 4258-650kv or FW 4258-580kv, but then finding the compatable 3 blade spinners becomes an issue.
            Hey Woody you can put me down for proper struts, just doesn’t look right with those skinny legs and tiny tires, not really the all terrain look!
            This video should make everyone a Bronco believer, you’ll swear he flies it thru a tree!

Take a look at this buge Bronco! Steve Holland is flying it at the International Model Air Show at Weston Park UK. This giant twin is impressive on the fligh...

Comment

On my smaller OV-10 I have 3 bladed props. I did a google search once I figured out what size I needed. The only downside is that I had counter rotating props and they don't make the spinners in both patterns. I had to carve out the clockwise spinner to make it work. Now if you want to spend the money Dave Brown and some others will make whatever size and orientation spinner you want. The spinners in the kit are just a tad over 2 1/4 inches.

Comment

I'm busy doing my equip mod research and posted earlier on my power plant selection. My next task is a better LG. Just as Boots wasn't too excited based on his remark about them, I too am looking to remedy the not so stellar stock provision. Since I don't have a bird in hand.........yet, maybe one of ya'll that does could provide some measurements of the struts(both nose and main) to further my research.
                Possibly a rough drawn hand sketch posted as a PDF.:Cool:
                I'm close and can't wait to share but don't want to jump the gun if my discovery dimensions aren't gonna hack it.
                Boots, give the 4258-kV460 motor some serious consideration. ;)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hi OV10, this is taken from the manual that's on our site ;) Hope this is helpful and that you get your's by the weekend.

S.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 06.25.23.png
Views:	1146
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	196157

Comment

I couldn’t wait, had to see how it looks, so like a kid on Xmas morning I tore thru the wrapping! This is a big beautiful Bronco!
                    Just shy of six foot by six foot.

Im going four cell with the FMS 4258-650kv and ZTW Beatles 70A ESCs.

Question about the ZTW Beatles, will they provide adequate power for eight servos, three retracts and lights? After I got them I see they are 3A, all my others are 5A. :Confused:

Comment

I'd run a separate battery to power the electronics. .
                      Mike
                      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

I have been searching for the dia of the real prop but haven't found that yet. Does anyone know what the prop dia is and what size of MA 3 blade prop may be most suitable? As for spinners, Tower has Dubro 3 blade spinners in 2.5" that will fit and the MA props do come in a pusher version that i can have counter rotating.
                        Im thinking a 50ish size motor as like the MRC Tomcat 5035 or similar running on 6s, i have plenty of those 6s for the EDF's.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                          Hi OV10, this is taken from the manual that's on our site ;) Hope this is helpful and that you get your's by the weekend.

S.
                          Stuart...........Thanx for posting those dims. When this was first announced the manual hadn't been put on the site.
                          I have now D/L'd the manual. It is a better rearrangement of the PICHLER manual and more comprehensive at 45 pgs versus 36 :Cool:
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
                            I have been searching for the dia of the real prop but haven't found that yet. Does anyone know what the prop dia is and what size of MA 3 blade prop may be most suitable? As for spinners, Tower has Dubro 3 blade spinners in 2.5" that will fit and the MA props do come in a pusher version that i can have counter rotating.
                            Im thinking a 50ish size motor as like the MRC Tomcat 5035 or similar running on 6s, i have plenty of those 6s for the EDF's.
                            Hello Sam..........sorry ya missed post #33 where I indicated what the scale prop size would be at 14.5".
                            I did forget to give the full scale diameter as a reference............102 inches.;)
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                              I couldn’t wait, had to see how it looks, so like a kid on Xmas morning I tore thru the wrapping! This is a big beautiful Bronco!
                              Just shy of six foot by six foot.

Im going four cell with the FMS 4258-650kv and ZTW Beatles 70A ESCs.

Question about the ZTW Beatles, will they provide adequate power for eight servos, three retracts and lights? After I got them I see they are 3A, all my others are 5A. :Confused:
                              I think that's a really nice looking model. Don't be to hard on the foam folks that have never flown a plane like this. They will not be believers until they have flown one of these. I believe Balsa and Composite flys better than foam, but this may be chalked up to personal opinion. My foam planes seem to fly fine. But when you land, a balsa plane does not sound like you just landed a foam bear cooler with wheels. They sound much better, feel better to the touch, solid, and smooth. The finish of a balsa model will hold up much better over time, with no gatering ever.

Woody

Comment

Having flown both foam and balsa for years I can say unequivocally that there's definitely a more solid feel with balsa. Both in the air and on the ground as mentioned. It's not a slam on foam, in fact the new gen foam models we are producing with Freewing have most definitely bridged the gap between the two, where foam has a more rigid feel to it than in year's past. As much as I love my foam models it's hard to replace the look and feel of flying balsa and composite.
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I've had some balsa models for over 20 years. Very durable and more resistant to hanger rash. You still have to handle them like you care about them and maintain them well of course.

Comment

Hey OV-10, glad you found the new manual helpful.

Its an over used saying but balsa does indeed fly better, and like Aros said, nothing to take away from the massive progress in foam, but if you are looking for a more all weather model and great longevity, balsa and composite is where its at. Its perhaps a larger investment, but its sound one that will be far longer lasting. After a year I think most find that you struggle to keep a foam model looking pristine, but a balsa (and especially composite models) will keep their looks for years if take care of.

If you havn't yet taken the plunge into balsa but are considering it, you'll not much more better placed than with one of the BH range.

S.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Hello Sam..........sorry ya missed post #33 where I indicated what the scale prop size would be at 14.5".
                                      I did forget to give the full scale diameter as a reference............102 inches.;)
                                      Thanks as I overlooked that post. So I'm trying diff props in ecalc to get a feel for several combinations.
                                      I got mine today and will retrieve it a little later.
                                      One thing needs clarified on the spinners, one diagram has spinner dia at 258mm(2.25") but another diagram of the cowl has dia at 263mm(2.5") I think. 2 1/2" three blade spinners can be had at tower by the way.
                                      Can anyone confirm spinner dia that will fit the cowl flange please?

Update: motors on hand EMax 4030/10, 6s 6250, Castle Ice 100a.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                                        I'd run a separate battery to power the electronics. .
                                        Mike
                                        So I use one of these?
                                        ZTW 10A Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC/UBEC) - ZTW300200010 The ZTW Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit or UBEC is the easiest and least expensive way to protect your plane from an ESC failure or "brown out" condition. The ZTW UBEC is a crucial device if your ESC does not have a battery eliminator circuit o

and what battery should I use? I’m new to electrics but remember reading on the official FW A-10 forum that it didn’t require the removal of one of the ESC power wires, both could remain to power the rec? Help!:Confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post

So I use one of these?
                                          ZTW 10A Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC/UBEC) - ZTW300200010 The ZTW Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit or UBEC is the easiest and least expensive way to protect your plane from an ESC failure or "brown out" condition. The ZTW UBEC is a crucial device if your ESC does not have a battery eliminator circuit o

and what battery should I use? I’m new to electrics but remember reading on the official FW A-10 forum that it didn’t require the removal of one of the ESC power wires, both could remain to power the rec? Help!:Confused:
                                          Here's the real deal Bob ;)
                                          The A-10 came with OPTO ESC's which means they had no internal BEC whereas the Dual 100A ESC's came prewired with a 8A UBEC into one of the EC5 connectors.
                                          Now the ZTW UBEC that you referenced is a great choice and one that I plan to use (have about half dozen in the parts supply bin).
                                          You have 2 choices on wiring this in. You can wire this into the two Beatle ESC's you mentioned(similar to the A-10 config) or go with a separate battery powering the ZTW, but either way the red wires of the two throttle connectors on the Beatle ESC's need to be isolated (cuts out the internal BEC). If going with a separate battery for the ZTW UBEC, I would recommend the 1300mAh 2S Admiral LiPo.
                                          A separate power battery is a pain in the arse to incorporate into the electrical system. I prefer to wire into the flight battery and then use the Scorpion BackupGuard for those instances where pilot/mechanical errors zap the flight battery.
                                          With the Scorpion, that is where the ZTW adjustable voltages of 5, 5.5, and 6 are perfect. I set mine usually at 5.5v when used on most systems that aren't using Hitec servos and at 6v in those that are.
                                          The reason for the higher BEC voltage is because the Scorpion kicks on at 5v which is where the majority of BEC's on ARF planes are set which just drains the Scorpion as soon as the system is initialized.
                                          As always, if you need some further technical insight just feel free to give me a jingle.;)
                                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                          X