X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
    So had the hard landing a few weeks back. Been working on the issues from the crash and the original build. Pressing beyond the crash damage was the wing warping and alignment at the root. I used CF rods and strips along with epoxy and some persuading blocks to get things straight. I'm now happy as everything is straight and I have a smooth line on the trailing edge.
    here is the list

New retracts
    new springs with higher compression on the mains (old fms springs too soft, tail was sagging)
    refit gear, grind to get more clearance and epoxy and cloth in the gear bays to add strength (more room makes gear more reliable)
    fix gear doors (minor)
    new props and decals by callie, light coat of lacquer to seal
    wing straiten and align plus flap fix
    some body work here and there
    made some changes to the radio set up, tune flap mix with down ele , add a little up ele with gear down
    will move cg back a little to see what I can get away with.

She is ready to re-maiden, most all of the trims are now void so it will be a real re-maiden Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_215812.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	72023Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_174143.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	72024Click image for larger version

Name:	20170412_194326.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	72025Click image for larger version

Name:	20170417_191451.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	72026Click image for larger version

Name:	20170417_191721.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	72027Click image for larger version

Name:	20170411_140957.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	72028Click image for larger version

Name:	20170417_193207.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	72029Click image for larger version

Name:	20170411_140911.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	72030Click image for larger version

Name:	20170417_191331.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	72031
    Yeah, those remaidens are special,just like a maiden for a whole different plane. Once again you get to peg the pucker factor!!!:Whew: Been there ,done that, waiting for the Tee-shirt! :Confused:Brad

Comment

• Thanks, yea, getting the pucker already just knowing she is ready ! Will report..........:Scared:
      rc flyin addict

Comment

• Oh I know that feeling all too well

Comment

• Stay positive borther and you'll geter done. Work looks great. Cant wait on the outcome. Bet it will be sweet

Hey Ridleman how we doing on the wing now.
          Dewey l

Comment

• She's moving along, replaced the nose gear retract body due to the original one allowing the gear to collapse. I feel better about it because it didn't shoot straight up like the first couple attempts. So the CG I feel is good to go finally. The flight line p38 motors definitely have the power to push it skyward. Now that the gears are solid. I have all the confidence it'll rise this time :)

Comment

• Hey man you sound a little down there:Straight-Face:. Don't let it get you down. Take a little time and get a fresh look at it and youll solve everything. Routeing for you man. Ready to see it fly.:Cool:.

Dewey l

Comment

• Absolutely! I'm sure it's gonna fly soon

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                  Absolutely! I'm sure it's gonna fly soon
                  O.K. , took me awhile to catch on that this is a flying wing, not the P-38. I'm coming into this cold but just wondering if there is some info to be had on RC Groups re: flying wings for input on the elevon set ups and CG. Forgive me if you've already done that. It looked like it was this close to " slipping the surly bonds"!!!:Cool:Brad

Comment

• Landed today and noticed my landing gears are getting sloppy. Not very many flights on this plane. Especially the nose gear. Guess I'm going to have to switch out the landing gear struts now. I have the upgrades, just waiting until this moment might come. Hoping it wouldn't actually! :( At least I don't have to disassemble the whole plane to pull the nose retract controller out. Just need to unplug at the RX. The mains are different headache altogether. It looks like I'll have take off the trough covers and remove the booms to get to the mains retract controllers!!!!:Angry: Comments please!
                    Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

• Originally posted by BadBob View Post
                      Landed today and noticed my landing gears are getting sloppy. Not very many flights on this plane. Especially the nose gear. Guess I'm going to have to switch out the landing gear struts now. I have the upgrades, just waiting until this moment might come. Hoping it wouldn't actually! :( At least I don't have to disassemble the whole plane to pull the nose retract controller out. Just need to unplug at the RX. The mains are different headache altogether. It looks like I'll have take off the trough covers and remove the booms to get to the mains retract controllers!!!!:Angry: Comments please!
                      Understand your situation. what I'm in the process of doing, is to cut the servo wires close to the retracts, and put connectors. That way when i need to change retracts or work on the landing gear. 4 screws and unplug the servo wires right there close.Don't have to try and snake new/old servo wire leads. And i'm going to shorten my spare retract servo wires too. So if i'm at the field, in just a matter of a couple minutes, switched out!
                      Had to invest in a servo wire crimping tool and connector parts. But it will be worth it to me.
                      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

O.K. , took me awhile to catch on that this is a flying wing, not the P-38. I'm coming into this cold but just wondering if there is some info to be had on RC Groups re: flying wings for input on the elevon set ups and CG. Forgive me if you've already done that. It looked like is was this close to " slipping the surly bonds"!!!:Cool:Brad
                        It's all good, I feel it would have made it this past weekend had the gear not given way. Exciting times! All the trials and tribulations are on​ my boredom post. Slowly I've been making headway. That reminds me, some time soon I should fly my p38 line of sight instead of FPV. It's just too much fun flying it fpv though! Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

Understand your situation. what I'm in the process of doing, is to cut the servo wires close to the retracts, and put connectors. That way when i need to change retracts or work on the landing gear. 4 screws and unplug the servo wires right there close.Don't have to try and snake new/old servo wire leads. And i'm going to shorten my spare retract servo wires too. So if i'm at the field, in just a matter of a couple minutes, switched out!
                          Had to invest in a servo wire crimping tool and connector parts. But it will be worth it to me.
                          I really like that idea!

Comment

• Maiden my friends P38 on Sunday , she was a sweetheart no issues flew very nice , and landed nice very smooth flyer was nose heavy with the 4s 3300 s might add a little tail weight to see what happens , we got the sport motor upgrade so that will be next .

Comment

• Hey mavdriver, I think you can deal with the nose heavy situation by just blocking the batteries back from the front of the battery enclosure incrementally. I used scrap packing foam front and back to keep the batteries from sliding around. Once I found the sweet spot, I was going to do something more permanent to hold the batteries in place but decided the foam would make a nice lightweight shock absorber. I just marked the position on the floor of the battery box with a felt pin so I didn't lose track of which foam block went where. Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post

I really like that idea!
                                Excellent idea!!!! Wish it occurred to me earlier!
                                Bob Duncan

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

Excellent idea!!!! Wish it occurred to me earlier! (put this in the wrong post) LOL!
                                  Bob Duncan

Comment

• Can someone tell me how you dealt with the wheel collars on the Robart wheels being to big to allow the spoked hub caps to go on?

Comment

• Originally posted by WW2rcpilot View Post
                                      Can someone tell me how you dealt with the wheel collars on the Robart wheels being to big to allow the spoked hub caps to go on?
                                      Welcome to Hobby Squawk! You will need to cut some of the stock axle off so they will fit, here's my build thread that shows some of the Robart tire mods.
                                      TiredIron Aviation
                                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thank you, after I posted this I tried using my heat gun and and using a dowel pushing down on the spoke cap until it flexed out. allowed it to cool while still applying pressure and voila' It fits. Curious what C.G did you end up with and did you measure wheels up or down?

Comment

• Originally posted by WW2rcpilot View Post
                                          Thank you, after I posted this I tried using my heat gun and and using a dowel pushing down on the spoke cap until it flexed out. allowed it to cool while still applying pressure and voila' It fits. Curious what C.G did you end up with and did you measure wheels up or down?
                                          I can't remember...I'll try to measure it this evening...I use a single 4S 5500 all the way forward.
                                          TiredIron Aviation
                                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                                          X