Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been playing around with screws for mounting the props looks like servo mounting screws might work. The included screws arent going to cut it.

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Yep Lon is right (sorry late to the party...It's been a long week at work) Arycon...I always manage altitude with throttle these days...I used to think pitch was the trick but far from...Just like full scale, you use the throttle to manage your descent rate and elevator for flaring. Establish your approach profile on final and from there it should be pretty much throttle management...Grease her in with pitch control and proper landing speed which for me (at flare) is around 10-15% power.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
        Completed my Oleo installation via FMS 1450mm P-51D Oleo struts on all three legs.....I was able to retrofit the nose gear without removing anything from the airframe - but I did modify the FMS Oleo strut so that it would be the correct length and fitted one of the stock wheels for the nose wheel. The mains are a bit soft with 50% compression at rest while the nose gear is spot on. I see no danger of dragging the rudder fins even when the mains are totally compressed. I felt compelled to modify my P-38 since I operate 100% off of grass field....smooth and short Bermuda grass but still way bumpier than roadway cement landing strip. ​I do like the over-all presentation with the larger wheels...but the real press of my modification was for performance. I do see a little bit of slop in the landing gear compared to the Oleo retrofit.....This is a heavy bird so both mains are indeed loaded up pretty good but I can't see any weak points yet that would cause issue.

TwistedGrin
        I have Oleo Envy. Thanks a lot. ;)
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Here's a bit of confession...I am realizing I need to work on my stick skills with this bird. I've flown several P-38's through the years but this one is making me honest. What I mean by that is I am finding that I can't get away with sloppy stick management...For instance, An aileron roll looks like a barrel roll even if you don't intend it to be in a heartbeat. A loop can end up to be an unintended Immelman before you even realize what just happened.

Okay fine, maybe it's just me. :)

The point is, I love how this P-38 flies like I imagine a full scale P-38 flies like. It flies heavier in the skies than she is. She reacts heavier than she is. Everything you would expect a full scale P-38 to fly and respond like is almost exactly what you get with this bird and I LOVE IT!

I've never met a P-38 I didn't enjoy flying, but this is the first that I not only enjoy flying, but makes me an honest pilot because it flies like the real thing just shrunk down (at least how I imagine it would be).

And because this is fun to watch, take a look at an in-cockpit view of Chris Fahey and his Skidoo!

(Note the delay from stick to response...A bit different than our models, lol)

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Some progress on "My Little Pig"

The home hangar seems to breed!!

Comment

• Sweet!!! "We're having fun now!"
              Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
              Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Nothing special here....ya it's a long video and not professional.....shot from Mobius Hat cam.

Maiden day FlightLine 1600mm P-38 flight number 6:

​TwistedGrin

Comment

• Looking great Phill!
                  Learning to fly........FAST!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                    Here's a bit of confession...I am realizing I need to work on my stick skills with this bird. I've flown several P-38's through the years but this one is making me honest. What I mean by that is I am finding that I can't get away with sloppy stick management...For instance, An aileron roll looks like a barrel roll even if you don't intend it to be in a heartbeat. A loop can end up to be an unintended Immelman before you even realize what just happened.

Okay fine, maybe it's just me. :)
                    I've seen you fly Todd and I highly doubt it's you!
                    Lauren

Comment

• Bit more progress. Now on to the centre section.

Comment

• All these beautiful 38s being posted. It's killing me. Just going to have to get one. Missed it by about 3 minutes last round.
                        Dewey l

Comment

• Originally posted by Flygirl View Post

I've seen you fly Todd and I highly doubt it's you!
                          It isn't Todd. This plane does not fly like a small air splitting foamy. This P-38 shreds air but she doesnt just have presence in the air. She has serious weight. Im not saying the plane is heavy. It just flies like a huge hunk of graceful, beautiful metal. This plane makes me nervous for that very reason. You really do have to actually fly it and that keeps one honest. There isnt any stick banging this plane. It doesn't respond like that. Tells me I need more practice. Lots of it.

Proof positive, the last time I went flying an elderly gentleman walked up to me and complimented how good the plane looked in the air. His words were "It looks like the real thing in the ai. I should know." He went on to explain that he was born in 1932 and was about 12 or 13 when the war ended. He remembers it all very well. He also remembers being a kid in New Jersey and watching P-38''s flying overhead. It was eye-opening talking to him. I immediately thought "I would love to have seen P-38's flying back then." Then I thought about what that meant and it sank in. Wasnt such a romantic thought afterward. Sobering is a good word. The guy loved the plane though. He said it looked beautiful up in the sky.

I promise you that wasnt because of my flying. This plane is extremely well designed and built.

Comment

• Managed a few flights today with the P-38. This is my first flight with the Mobius mounted on the plane.

Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Antoine de St. Exupery's P-38 Photo Recon F-5. Author of "the Little Prince" and an important aviator. He was lost at sea in 1944....

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post
                                Managed a few flights today with the P-38. This is my first flight with the Mobius mounted on the plane.
                                . That field looks familiar Lon .... It was nice flying with you today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon Moon View Post
                                  Have the TT25 speakers installed....just waiting on the new "Aspire" sound unit from Andrew [ATTACH=CONFIG]n40235[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n40236[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n40237[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n40238[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n40239[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n40240[/ATTACH]
                                  Brandon,

Happy to see you tackling the Mr RC Sound System install. I intend to do this myself. With a bird this big, how can you not?

How difficult was mounting the TT-25's?

Are you planning on permanently affixing the cut foam back on the pylon it or making it removable?

Where do you intend to mount the sound card unit?

There isnt much room on this plane for additions. Im curious how much the TT-25's will shift the weight forward of the CoG. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on everything and how the sound build is going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iowa54 View Post
                                    . That field looks familiar Lon .... It was nice flying with you today.
                                    Iowa54, besides the great time flying. It was so nice to meet you inperson. I'm sure this is just the first of many times to come. Let's break out the DHC-Beavers for the next meeting. Maybe come my way!
                                    Lon

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

Iowa54, besides the great time flying. It was so nice to meet you inperson. I'm sure this is just the first of many times to come. Let's break out the DHC-Beavers for the next meeting. Maybe come my way!
                                      Ditto and yes its time to maiden Beaver #2

Comment

• Touch-N-Go trials in crosswind - thanks to Steve for spotting with me ...never mind the domestic chatter during the flight

​TwistedGrin

Comment

• Slowly getting there. Both booms are now finished, the assembly now starts!

Comment

Working...
                                          X