Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have recommendations on the best way to change out a main gear door servo on the Flightline P-38? Like everyone else I love this airplane! I have some 15 flights on it and people are always asking to fly it again or if I'm bringing out to the airfield. The gear door servo just stopped working and I ordered a new one some time ago but now want to get it going before spring.
    Thanks in advance!!

Comment

• Originally posted by me109pilot View Post
      Anyone have recommendations on the best way to change out a main gear door servo on the Flightline P-38? Like everyone else I love this airplane! I have some 15 flights on it and people are always asking to fly it again or if I'm bringing out to the airfield. The gear door servo just stopped working and I ordered a new one some time ago but now want to get it going before spring.
      Thanks in advance!!
      The best straight away approach is usually the easiest. ;)
      Remove the main gear etract 4 screws and lift the gear out of the way to provide pretty much un-interfered access to the door servo's 2 screws.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks OV10! I couldn't recall if the servo connector goes all the way back to the cockpit area. I was hoping not to have to take the boom off to get the connectors fed back to the cockpit. I'll start with just removing the main gear and get the gear door servo out. I also have an OV-10 (electric) still in the box once I get the P-38 back in shape.

Comment

• Originally posted by me109pilot View Post
          Thanks OV10! I couldn't recall if the servo connector goes all the way back to the cockpit area. I was hoping not to have to take the boom off to get the connectors fed back to the cockpit. I'll start with just removing the main gear and get the gear door servo out. I also have an OV-10 (electric) still in the box once I get the P-38 back in shape.
          Hi 109. Yes, the nose door servo connects to the control board, so removal of the pod will be needed. Just a suggestion, if you haven't already done so, double check the servo connection to the board. If that seems good, then disconnect the servo from the board and test the servo itself. That way you can determine if the problem is with the servo or the board. Disconnect the linkage from the servo to the door before testing so it doesn't run the door into anything if it should work. Might save you some steps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

Hi 109. Yes, the nose door servo connects to the control board, so removal of the pod will be needed. Just a suggestion, if you haven't already done so, double check the servo connection to the board. If that seems good, then disconnect the servo from the board and test the servo itself. That way you can determine if the problem is with the servo or the board. Disconnect the linkage from the servo to the door before testing so it doesn't run the door into anything if it should work. Might save you some steps.
            Hello Twowingtj, it's the right main gear door servo but I think you're right in that I'll have to remove the pod to get to the servo connection at the board. I was hoping that I don't need to take the boom off as well to threat the servo wire back to the pod. I will check to be sure it's not loose at the board in the pod first. Thanks for the input!!

Comment

• Hello all, anybody here do the MPX mod to the wing wiring? I am having a problem wiring the left wing and having the nav and landing light work. I put all the grounds together on one pin and the 2 positives on separate pins as describe on pg 96 but it seems I blew out the nav lights and I now have no power at the board. No problem doing the right wing as only one light and I was able to put the neg and positive on separate pins.

Comment

• Since I was a little kid, now 67, I've had a fascination for the P-38. I really believe there is something to this, as I have had the exact same dream over and over since I can remember of a P-38 smoking in a dive to a large body of water and I'm in a parachute. I always wake up before either of us hit the water. If I could just get the tail number!!!!!! WOW!!!!
                Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

• I hope you got a couple bogies before you took hits!! Was your father or other relatives a P-38 pilot by any chance? Just wondering. BTW just started the process for building a 1/6 scale Yellow Aircraft P-38. I also love those P-38s.
                  Brad

Comment

• Motion RC seems to have captured that moment for you Bob.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	0B9EEB06-03BA-4E00-AB59-388468C15E37.jpeg
Views:	435
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	112992

Comment

• If I may go slightly off topic, I have the big boy version of the P-38 in the form of a
                      1/6 scale 100" wingspan Yellow Aircraft P-38 on it's way to be built up to the primer stage and sent to me hopefully this summer. Check out R C Groups Yellow Aircraft rebirth and conversion for the history here.
                      Brad

Comment

• I just got a Taranis X9D Plus transmitter for the 38. I'm new to this radio. does anyone have a clue what the settings are for the 38? Any help is appreciated....

Comment

• I have a 90" hanging in my garage. Just the engines haven't given me the confidence to try to fly it

Comment

• Originally posted by artistwood View Post
                            I just got a Taranis X9D Plus transmitter for the 38. I'm new to this radio. does anyone have a clue what the settings are for the 38? Any help is appreciated....
                            Are you looking for throws? Or what are you looking for. I have the horus x10. Just make sure the inputs match the control map you want on the controller and the output matches up with the channel you intend to use for the specific function. The frsky radios are the most intensive to program because of all the options available.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                              I have a 90" hanging in my garage. Just the engines haven't given me the confidence to try to fly it
                              Is this a brushless or fuel?

Comment

• Right now fuel. I'm thinking about converting it to brushless

Comment

• I'd say the brushless has to be way more dependable which is crucial in a twin like the P-38.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                                    I'd say the brushless has to be way more dependable which is crucial in a twin like the P-38.
                                    Right on..............no thinking about it rifleman, just do it and fly that beast.
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• You can and probably will have "single-engine-out" with electric. There are quite a few possible causes.

I've had one motor pull the firewall off (Dynam C-47), the collet for the prop come off the moor shaft in flight and ESC failure... Just as examples.

So you need to know the techniques and practice some flying on one working motor (each side)

Do initial practicing with LOTS of altitude and be ready to flip the switch you use to disable one motor and get it back working.
                                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Can someone tell me the specs on the struts for this plane? Specifically I need length (from the end to the axle or bottom of wheel) and diameter of the strut?

Thanks

Comment

• Am about to get this model after 2 years of drooling over it. I can not even relay how excited I am. I have a few questions for those of you who already have it.

I'll be installing a headtracking FPV system, and am trying to figure out how I'll need to set it up. First, how far from where the pilot sits can I install equipment downward? I ask because I'd like to be able to countersink the pan/tilt setup a bit so it has the right POV.

Also, how much of a difference does it make flying with the drop tanks versus without them? Normally I wouldn't even bother installing them, but I was thinking about concealing my FPV antenna inside one of them.

My other thought was to set up my P-38 like the P-38M night fighter. That way I could conceal the FPV antenna inside a fake radar pod.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                          X