Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty slick nose art: https://i.imgur.com/Ko6UK4M.jpg
    Alternate: https://thechive.files.wordpress.com...rip=info&w=600

Talked to Callie about it and the lines are too thin for a plotter, so it would have to be painted by hand. Still tempted to give it a try though.
    Last edited by SoLongSidekick; Jan 30, 2018, 10:43 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Comment

• It's not showing up

Comment

• I don't have any freaking idea why, but when I click on the top link it brings me to a Tumblr login page. It's clearly not a Tumblr link; is it doing that for you too?

Comment

• Yeah that's what it's doing

Comment

• I can see,how the lines are too thin. That's gonna take some doing to get it right

Comment

• I might try creating a vector out of it and cutting out a stencil on my laser engraver. I don't know how capable I am considering the cone shape of the nose though, especially since the art wraps around the entire nose continuously.

I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go with the livery. I have some shark mouths for the engine nacelles, but I'm not sure whether I'm going to go scale or ridiculous for the nose art. I do like the Journey's End art, but I also drew up a dickbutt with wings holding a pistol that I'm having to fight the urge to have printed.

I see a lot of people in this thread have used Home Depot to color match the paint, but has anyone tried using an airbrush for application? Is it even airbrush-able?

It's a latex paint right? Latex really isn't meant for airbrushing but I know with appropriate thinning, straining afterwards, and using a large needle it is possible. If no one else has tried this I will report back with my results.

Comment

• Found a pretty good drawing of Hagenback's P-38. Looks like a neat scheme!

Pat

Comment

• There ya go!

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                    Found a pretty good drawing of Hagenback's P-38. Looks like a neat scheme!

I need to file that away for future reference. Nice find.

Mike
                    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Wow that's awesome, great find.

I asked this question before but it got cut off as it was the last post on page 164, but has anyone tried setting this model up with differential thrust? I'm wondering if the amount of agility added would be worth the mod, or if the effects would be negligible on such a unique airframe.

Comment

• Never tried differential thrust on mine, so I don't know.

And for those of you who have trouble finding schemes, I've found that a Google Images search works wonders. I try to narrow down the search parameters as much as possible when searching. For example, for the one I posted above, I first searched "Hagenback P-38." When I saw that come up with the name "Bat Out Of Hell" I then refined my search for that name and P-38 and was rewarded with the 3-view scheme posted above.
                        Pat

Comment

• Udvar-Hazy has an original paint P-38. Sits under the Enola Gay’s left wing. It was flown by Dick Bong at Wright Field.

Click image for larger version

Name:	05DD03CD-262A-4233-9FE9-FE99816D69B2.jpeg
Views:	470
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	115499Click image for larger version

Name:	F467421C-B282-4877-B638-D0D416FA2878.jpeg
Views:	471
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	115500Click image for larger version

Name:	77096D0F-2EAF-44BD-B488-8F877E3454DD.jpeg
Views:	521
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	115498Click image for larger version

Name:	0BCA2DF7-B0D9-47BA-B845-12560DCB9EB4.jpeg
Views:	455
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	115497

Comment

• Thanks for those pics! Having images of real OG paint P-38s makes it so easy to tell where to apply weathering effects.

I kind of like the OD spinners. I might paint mine that way.

I actually had a really hard time finding any sort of livery artwork for P-38s. Googling "P-38 livery" and derivatives of it do return some examples but not nearly what you can find for the P-51 for example.

Comment

• Your welcome
                              Here’s a few more details of that Lightning

Click image for larger version

Name:	E4EFC2BB-B83F-486B-BD98-AE80173E051E.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	115512Click image for larger version

Name:	C0AB257F-FB78-4750-95DC-CB15CC1BFE0B.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	115514Click image for larger version

Name:	75F4D116-0FB6-4E5F-B49C-53729157C618.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	115513Click image for larger version

Name:	E700227D-BF77-469C-BFBA-981FF7A3458F.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	115511

Comment

• Great pics. Looks like you had fun.

Comment

• On the dif. Thrust, I would say don't since this has a rudder already. You hit it too hard and she will drop a wing and spiral in like a homesick rock. As for doing the nose cam, I'm not really a fan of that just because when it comes to warbird fpv, you gotta fly from the cockpit, that's the whole experience man! :) or for me any scale fpv bird. It's all about making it feel like you're in the bird yourself, now flying wing, twinstar 2, or something along those lines, nose cam is where it's at! Just my .02 on fpv projects :)

Comment

• People play games with the differential thrust on other models. including doing a 900 deg "pinwheel" at the peak of a stall turn.
                                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                      People play games with the differential thrust on other models. including doing a 900 deg "pinwheel" at the peak of a stall turn.
                                      That's exactly what I had in mind. Well, not a 900 but a 1-1/2 spin.

Comment

• Finally joined the ranks.

Comment

• For me to get back to this, first f7f, then I will get this one again :) am I excited for the spring? Dang right I am! Baseball and flying! Game on baby!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X