Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For you guys that are painting the foam, is there a specific paint I need to ask for when I go to the hardware store? I was going to take a piece in tonight on my way home to have it matched.

Comment

• Hey planecrazy, just getting back to you. I actually painted my invasion stripes instead of using Callie's. It just seemed like the compound curves would would be too much, esoecially on the booms. Also, in answer to dkalwishky, I used Tamiya spray paints, they don't react with the stock paint and great colors including matt white and matt black for the invasion stripes. Also the best tape for masking is "frog tape". Get the yellow ,not the green. It's great and almost never lifts the paint. Good Luck

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
        Hey planecrazy, just getting back to you. I actually painted my invasion stripes instead of using Callie's. It just seemed like the compound curves would would be too much, esoecially on the booms. Also, in answer to dkalwishky, I used Tamiya spray paints, they don't react with the stock paint and great colors including matt white and matt black for the invasion stripes. Also the best tape for masking is "frog tape". Get the yellow ,not the green. It's great and almost never lifts the paint. Good Luck
        Ok thanks, I've got a friend that is going to spray paint the stripes for me as well as any other things I need. He suggested acrylic paints so where do you buy acrylic paint, not in a spray can and is more than a 1/2oz bottle?

thanks,
        Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
          I did my invasion stripes over the weekend and was noticing there was quite a bit of difference in the widths of different people's stripes. My understanding was that on twin engined planes they were supposed to be 24" wide on the real planes and 18" on single engine planes. Does anybody else have any info on that?
          That's also my understanding. Can't find my reference, but got this from Wikipedia:

The stripes were five alternating black and white stripes. On single-engine aircraft each stripe was to be 18 inches (46 cm) wide, placed 6 inches (15 cm) inboard of the roundels on the wings and 18 inches (46 cm) forward of the leading edge of the tailplane on the fuselage. National markings and serial number were not to be obliterated. On twin-engine aircraft the stripes were 24 inches (61 cm) wide, placed 24 inches (61 cm) outboard of the engine nacelles on the wings, and 18 inches (46 cm) forward of the leading edge of the tailplane around the fuselage.

Comment

• Originally posted by tdevince View Post

That's also my understanding. Can't find my reference, but got this from Wikipedia:

The stripes were five alternating black and white stripes. On single-engine aircraft each stripe was to be 18 inches (46 cm) wide, placed 6 inches (15 cm) inboard of the roundels on the wings and 18 inches (46 cm) forward of the leading edge of the tailplane on the fuselage. National markings and serial number were not to be obliterated. On twin-engine aircraft the stripes were 24 inches (61 cm) wide, placed 24 inches (61 cm) outboard of the engine nacelles on the wings, and 18 inches (46 cm) forward of the leading edge of the tailplane around the fuselage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_stripes
            They were also painted by hand so the lines were not real neat and defined. the crews just slapped them on.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
              For you guys that are painting the foam, is there a specific paint I need to ask for when I go to the hardware store? I was going to take a piece in tonight on my way home to have it matched.
              Home Depot. Behr flat interior matte paint. Get sample jars. Like 8oz of paint for $3- $4 each. Take the outer horizontal stabilzer fin you glue on. They matched mine perfectly using that fin. They just put it under the color match laser doohickey and out pops the same color. You cant tell where Ive painted over the stock paint. Blends perfectly. Cheap. Easy. Ive used it many times. Leaves loads for touch ups down the road.

As for invasion stripes, I painted mine on. Masked off the stripe area and sprayed it with white primer. Masked off the black stripes and brushed them on with Apple Barrel paint from Walmart. Voila. Much less hassle than vinyl stripes IMHO. Going over those booms with vinyl has got to be a pain.

I will get around to posting pics at some point. Im still weathering the plane little by little. Takes a long time but is worth it in the end. My planes look like hell. Worn in and battle hardened. Just the way they should be.

Comment

• Hey Planecrazy, If your looking for acrylic paints in small amounts you can usually get them at art supply stores. I use the americana brand but there are many. The ones I use come in two ounce bottles and there are many colors. Although I use the spray for bigger areas, the acrylics are great for smaller things like cockpits, wheel wells ,etc. and water cleanup! Also, I mix colors allot to get that perfect match.

Comment

• Hey, guys...

I just bought new lipos for my fleet and new to break them in. Charging new lipos can be hairy. Is it possible to parallel charge/discharge them safely for the first few times? I would likely be charging 2 at once at .5c or 1c charge and discharge. Never parallel charged and want to make sure I dont muck it up.

And trying to keep this question brief. I dont want to derail this thread. I just trust the experience here.

Comment

• Here's a glimpse at what's too come!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_3290_1460472191165_145[/ATTACH]Here's a glimpse at what's too come!
                      Ryan, if that broken picture link is intentional... you are an evil person and definitely not on my Christmas mailing list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_3290_1460472191165_145[/ATTACH]Here's a glimpse at what's too come!
                        There is no image. :(

Comment

• So glad I wasn't the only one who clicked on that little picture thinking it was an entry to the surprise. Surprise:D
                          What are you hiding from us Ryan?

Comment

• By the way,I would also use the acrylics for spraying but I haven't gotten around to learning how to use my airbrush. I bought a nice one years ago but haven't had the time to get comfortable using it - which is why I'm still building foamies instead of conventional kits. So until I retire, I'll have to stay with foamies and rattle cans. Cheers!

Comment

• naw..go for it..nothing wrong with some practice..besides, its easier to airbrush a large plane than it is small plastic models.
                              www.TSHobbies.com
                              Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
                                So glad I wasn't the only one who clicked on that little picture thinking it was an entry to the surprise. Surprise:D
                                What are you hiding from us Ryan?

Sorry guys, nothing to see here. It was the same image, I was playing with the sizes.

Comment

• So Ryan, what exactly is the friggin glimps ????

Comment

• After four days of rain, the skies parted and the wind dropped to zero. I took Battle Axe back out and ran all three batteries through it. The invasion stripes helped a bunch with orientation. I backed out some of the down elevator to flap mix, but I need to add some back in. Showed some ballooning, and my landings were a little Captain Kangaroo bouncy. No damage, just embarrassing. I'm gonna pull another half ounce of dead weight out of the nose, it's still flying rock solid, and showing no tail heavy tendencies, gear up or down. I'm flying with single 5000 batteries, and 5 minutes is going to about the max flight time to keep the batteries healthy, and have some reserve for an emergency go around.

All in all, a very successful day. Had an absolute blast, and even got a compliment from a guy flying a big Edge gasser!
                                    I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
                                    ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

• Arycon: Charging in parallel not a good idea. How will you handle the balance connections? Even if you built a y connector for the two balance ports, the charger will only see the average across two cells in parallel. You might get away with it if you charged without balance and used a "blinkey" later to balance. Parallel discharging is not such a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by mz34334 View Post
                                        Arycon: Charging in parallel not a good idea. How will you handle the balance connections? Even if you built a y connector for the two balance ports, the charger will only see the average across two cells in parallel. You might get away with it if you charged without balance and used a "blinkey" later to balance. Parallel discharging is not such a problem.
                                        Here's the answer:
                                        PRC Home - FPV Racing Drones, Fat Shark, Tiny Whoop - iCharger, iSDT, & FMA Battery Chargers - Mean Well & Iota Power Supplies - ProgressiveRC

Been using these for years. Often charge 4-6 batteries at a time depending on the capacity and if you have a good charger.
                                        Andy

Comment

• Andy: Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen these before.

Anybody: Has anyone gotten a good match from Lowes or Home Depot on Silver? If yes, would you please post the paint codes?
                                          Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                          X