X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
    For you guys that are painting the foam, is there a specific paint I need to ask for when I go to the hardware store? I was going to take a piece in tonight on my way home to have it matched.
    the depot has flat latex sample cans for $3, just bring a tailfin to match GREAT paint
    rc flyin addict

Comment

• got rid of the gatoring on the center section and ele, just the wings left to do. A light sanding on the booms produced a nice result, the wings a bit more leveling needed, wet sand with 400 on foam blocks and 2 rounds of painting/sanding and the gator barely perceptible.
      rc flyin addict

Comment

• the results
        rc flyin addict

Comment

• For those of you installing the FW or FMS struts in the nose gear....

, when you made the mod to the struts, I assume you left about 3/8" from the stock strut below the steering arm to install into the top of the oleo. With the mains compressing and the nose gear strut lengthened was there any concern on the change to the AoA. From what I can tell with my experimenting, the nose is going to raise about 1/2" with the length of the strut and the inclusion of the steering arm.

I have replaced the stock wheels with the Dubros, 2 3/4 on the mains, 2 1/2 on the nose gear.

Am I worrying over nothing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post
            For those of you installing the FW or FMS struts in the nose gear....

, when you made the mod to the struts, I assume you left about 3/8" from the stock strut below the steering arm to install into the top of the oleo. With the mains compressing and the nose gear strut lengthened was there any concern on the change to the AoA. From what I can tell with my experimenting, the nose is going to raise about 1/2" with the length of the strut and the inclusion of the steering arm.

I have replaced the stock wheels with the Dubros, 2 3/4 on the mains, 2 1/2 on the nose gear.

Am I worrying over nothing?
            You can always buy heavier springs here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=11yg9og

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
              the results
              That looks really nice! I don't mind my gatoring too much (I actually don't even notice it most the time) but seeing the results of a what a little work can do has me considering the same thing. Well done.
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Some cool pics of mine and Alpha's birds from this past weekend's fly in at Apollo. It was great to finally meet Alpha, along with Addison, Sam and Martin! Not to mention several other warbirds fans I had only known as screen names until Saturday.

Pat

Comment

• Nice looking birds there!

Looking to maiden tomorrow. Having a few minor issues to sort. Right aileron is off. More deflection down than up. Gotta reset it with my servo tester. Still need to check CoG.

Just to make sure: 1) CoG is 70mm with gear up and plane right side up. 2) elevator is 4mm up in the neutral position

Yes/no?

Comment

• Nice looking bird there Pat!

Arycon, yeah 70mm is right in the pocket, same with the 4mm elevator up at neutral. Good luck in the maiden!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2016-04-12 at 10.26.54 AM.png
Views:	346
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	38348 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2016-04-12 at 10.26.54 AM.png
Views:	560
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	38349 Here we go, I hope.

Comment

• Here we go, I hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                          Nice looking bird there Pat!

Arycon, yeah 70mm is right in the pocket, same with the 4mm elevator up at neutral. Good luck in the maiden!
                          Hello Aros,
                          Been following along for all 1550+ posts on this thread so far to stay in tune with any necessary mods I'll need/like to do when I order mine on the second round. My question is why the 4mm up elevator at neutral?? That is rather contrary to everthing I've practiced regarding control surface neutralization in relation to CG adjustments. Is it because the cockpit pod has no room to adjust the battery(s) aft more to zero the need for up elevator to hold level flight?
                          Best regards,
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Great...

So, had the wrong lipos and had to order new ones. Power supply wasnt working and ordered a new one. Paypal paid the retailer by eCheck and it took a week to clear and five days to get here. I was in the middle of my last lipo break in cycle. Stopped the charger and powered it all down. Walked my dog. Came back to finish the cycle and my iCharger isnt working.

Is someone telling me Im forbidden to maiden this plane? Lol. Well, guess I have more time to work on the scheme until I can buy a new charger. Too funny.

And thanks for the info, Aros. Much appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by PlaneCrazy View Post

You can always buy heavier springs here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=11yg9og
                              Sorry, I don't think I was clear. Wit the additional length of the NG strut, roughly 1/2" I am concerned it will drive the nose too high and alter the AoA upwards.

T

Comment

• Nice shot Ryan! Glad we finally got to see it. Any videos coming soon?

Comment

• got this battery, it was made for the plane :o)
                                  seller on ebay has a good deal on un, cheep for a tp

rc flyin addict

Comment

• Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. Wit the additional length of the NG strut, roughly 1/2" I am concerned it will drive the nose too high and alter the AoA upwards.

T
                                    Yes, but I was suggesting the heavier springs for the mains so the compression would be less.

Comment

• Well... my opinion on strut spring tension is: You want appx 1/4 to 1/3 compression just from the aircraft sitting parked.

Then the struts will kind of act like an RC car's shocks.

Clip or shim the springs to your personal taste. If you need stiffer, just insert a dowel piece that is
                                      ca hardened.

That is what has worked best for me on several aircraft, from appx 2 lb to 25 lb with functional scale struts.
                                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                        Hello Aros, Been following along for all 1550+ posts on this thread so far to stay in tune with any necessary mods I'll need/like to do when I order mine on the second round. My question is why the 4mm up elevator at neutral?? That is rather contrary to everthing I've practiced regarding control surface neutralization in relation to CG adjustments. Is it because the cockpit pod has no room to adjust the battery(s) aft more to zero the need for up elevator to hold level flight?
                                        It has to do with CG and Incidence but I don't know beyond that to be honest.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Your P-38 looks great Pat!

Comment

Working...
                                          X