Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An experience that I've had with this plane on the last 2 outings ....................... I fly off a very lumpy bumpy grass field. After a couple of take-offs and landings, the main gear has bent back just enough to cause one of the retracts to bind up when closed, making it not deploy for the next landing. Twice, I've had to belly land it. Luckily the drop tanks and their pylons have taken the brunt of the impact and the only breakage was one blade on one prop, each time.
    I've now made it a routine to give each main strut a bit of a bend forward to place it back to the angle they need to be so it doesn't bind up upon retraction. I hopefully shouldn't have this problem anymore.
    A minor nuisance and the price I pay for flying off such a strip. I can live with it. The nose gear has so far not been affected since it's the first to lift and the last to touch down and doesn't get the same kind of bashing that the mains do. I've also augered out some foam in the wheel compartments to aid in stowage of the bigger P-51 wheels and stock main for the nose. Still flies great and continues to draw a lot of attention. Many observers say that of all my planes, the P-38 is their favorite. Most comment on the wonderful sound it makes on a fly by and how beautiful it looks in the air. I'm not sure it's my favorite but of my 30+ planes, it's in the top 5.

Comment

• Thanks Shirty for the great response i.e. incidence. I have definitely witnessed first hand most of those characteristics in play, especially the corkscrew-like rolls and the high alpha while inverted. Makes perfect sense. Definitely count me in the camp that doesn't mind the 4mm up for neutral on the H stab even if it creates these side effects. Ultimately it just doesn't bother me all that much based on the overall quality, scale appeal, size and performance for the price.

And agreed xviper2, kudos indeed OV10 for not lashing back to MikeT.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Yes Arycon I can confirm a 1/8th AOI pilot will fit but will need a little trimming down to fit under the canopy, but not much
        Brandon Moon

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
          Thanks Shirty for the great response i.e. incidence. I have definitely witnessed first hand most of those characteristics in play, especially the corkscrew-like rolls and the high alpha while inverted. Makes perfect sense. Definitely count me in the camp that doesn't mind the 4mm up for neutral on the H stab even if it creates these side effects. Ultimately it just doesn't bother me all that much based on the overall quality, scale appeal, size and performance for the price.

And agreed xviper2, kudos indeed OV10 for not lashing back to MikeT.
          Thanx Aros, so lets chat about that Lightning some more.
          As I was the one that has put the finger on the incidence issue with this bird, I am surprised though that you ultimately just aren't bothered especially since you own a Legends(old VQ) 83" Lightning. I really was expecting more of FlightLine to be the new guard for us warbird fanatics and as such I'm not giving up hope. The old ways of "it is good enough" and "I can live with it" should not be acceptable. That's what happened for way too long with the old guard and since you are one of the advocates(as a Motion representative) for the upcoming new guard(I hope) to have them hear us and fix it. That is the basic premise behind all the rhetoric I have posted on this issue in the recent past. I just want it to be correct for the good money to be laid out for it and not have to get into another what really should not be needed mod as I have had to do so on several occasions in the past. Whisper in Alpha's ear and lets have you guys reinforce the fact there IS a new guard to fill the hangars of warbird pilots.
          Best regards,
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Hello MikeT,
            Actually I am not a FMS fan because of their recent grab this past year of pricing greed and inability to move the market in a direction as asked for by the customer base. And yes I do own a FlightLine product and actually have contributed in great detail on both a build and flight review of it on this forum that many have appreciated. The other forum that you elude to I left behind in the dust 3 years ago when I found the Squawk. I hope that I've answered your questions satisfactorily.
            Best regards,
            Thanks now I'll give you my take on this. It's a model nothing more made to resemble the full scale and is not advertised or touted as to be a exact replica of such. The up elevator deal is nothing and cut up the tail and remount the stab if you wish. Seems like the majority is very happy with it as it is.
            I hope that I've explained my position on the subject and hope we can move on.

Mike
            \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• You know, I am hoping that alpha might weigh in on this issue and put an end to this back and forth. I think that aros has done a great job of trying to keep this discussion positive but the main reason for this forum, as I understand it , is to share building and flying tips and experiences to help us all increase our enjoyment of this P-38. Also, on a different subject please, maybe an improved set of landing gear with functional oleos and even a nose gear that extends 105 degrees instead of 90 could be offered as an upgrade so that the buyer could have a choice like the speed upgrade. For some folks, those things just don't matter that much. Cheers, Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                maybe an improved set of landing gear with functional oleos and even a nose gear that extends 105 degrees instead of 90 could be offered as an upgrade so that the buyer could have a choice like the speed upgrade. For some folks, those things just don't matter that much. Cheers, Brad
                That's apparently already in the works.

Comment

• Yes, thank you dkalwishky for that. I had read that as well some time ago. I guess the point I was trying to make was more about options for all of us. For those who are more budget driven, they could take the "base model" if you will and those willing to invest more in the interest of more scale details or functions could opt for some or all of those. This would potentially give, not just the P-38 but all future planes a greater availability and appeal range. Flightline has already raised the bar considerably with the various improvements on this plane but I think the opportunity is there to raise the bar in this realm as well by offering the base model versus all the potential bells and whistles. Continue to Endeavor to Persevere Flightline, Brad

Comment

• I think that is a fantastic idea. I just wonder how the logistics would work. I dont think Motion or any retailer could realistically offer multiple versions with upgraded components. Maintaining stock or gauging how much of a particular item to order would likely be a chore. Stagnant inventory kills. It would make more sense to allow upgrades similar to the "speed variant" with two bladed props and different motors that are essentially aftermarket , if you will, and need to be installed by the customer. More hassle for us but really the only way for a company to do it and meet an acceptable profit margin comparable to aging inventory.

I welcome upgrade packages. It is a sweet idea. Maybe an oleo package with scale suspension gear and diamond tires, or maybe just the struts alone with a new, drop in retract with thicker strut wire for increased rigidity for grass runway users. I have pavement and am lucky. Grass users need robust gear. It is a must. Different livery sheet sets might be a nice option as well. I would personally like to see a better stock pilot, but I already have the 1/8th Ace of Iron coming. Unfortunately, after some comparison, he is too big. I havent gotten him yet, but I already can tell he is too large to be perfectly scale. That being said, I think the stock pilot is actually too big, but it is what it is.

Im all for reasonable, constructive upgrades with miminal modification and expense required. The reason being is experience. I upgraded a Dynam T-28 with a Power 25, E-flite retracts and a fully customized and accurate cockpit. It looks fantastic. Unfortunately, the added weight makes the plane a rock. She flies, and flies well, but landing is precarious at best. You quickly reach a point with foamies where you are disrupting the flight envelope with every modification. Personally, Im saving my alloted modification weight for a 3300 lipo set and a Mr RC Sound module. I dont care about oleo retracts. They will be in the belly most of the time and you can barely see them when on the ground. A sound system...now that impacts everyone as soon as you click throttle trim to idle and it doesnt stop until the plane is shut down. A sound system is a must for me on bird this size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arycon View Post
                      I would personally like to see a better stock pilot, but I already have the 1/8th Ace of Iron coming. Unfortunately, after some comparison, he is too big. I havent gotten him yet, but I already can tell he is too large to be perfectly scale. That being said, I think the stock pilot is actually too big, but it is what it is.
                      Have you seen this guy? He looks outstanding. Doesn't come painted unfortunately but Greg who's painted nearly all of my Aces of Iron pilots - or Brandon if he has the time and desire - are possible sources (I love to paint my planes, but not my pilots). This guy is 1/10 scale too! I would chop off his cig but the rest looks pretty amazing in detail.

1/10 Scale Young Miniatures USAAF Fighter Pilot 1944
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Here's what it actually looks like when you get it...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Have you seen this guy? He looks outstanding. Doesn't come painted unfortunately but Greg who's painted nearly all of my Aces of Iron pilots - or Brandon if he has the time and desire - are possible sources (I love to paint my planes, but not my pilots). This guy is 1/10 scale too! I would chop off his cig but the rest looks pretty amazing in detail.

1/10 Scale Young Miniatures USAAF Fighter Pilot 1944

Got one on the way to paint up along with the RAF & Luftwaffe pilot
                          Brandon Moon

Comment

• Been finding good shots of "California Cutie". Mostly what I find is a 3/4 shot from the left side where the nose art is. I've finally found enough evidence to substantiate that the invasion stripes on this bird were only on the bottom side although a warbird expert buddy of mine said that they were always changing so I couldn't go wrong but I think I'll just do bottomside invasion stripes . If anyone knows of any other source for markings of "California Cutie", I appreciate the info.

Thanks,
                            Andy

Comment

• California Cutie, to the best of my knowledge, had both. That is to say she had full invasion stripes at one time and then was painted to have half stripes, being only on the underside of the wing and the same on the booms. Cutie is actually the livery I modeled my P-38 after. My P-38 is not an actual combat aircraft, but resembles Cutie quite a bit.

Here are some good reference shots of California Cutie with the "half set" of invasion stripes. The last photo is my P-38. Hopefully it will give you a better idea of how to replicate the stripes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon Moon View Post
                                Got one on the way to paint up along with the RAF & Luftwaffe pilot
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I would accept the 4mm or an 1/8" up neutral as a small drawback. The joy of a great scale bird like this is worth it - besides it's better than having a "compressiblity" problem...LOL. The idea of upgrade components for the landing gear is solid. I understand the potential inventory issues - but look at what happened when someone found a very good substitute with the FW-51 struts - I think they sold out in a week. I know the LG's get tucked away for flight but believe me, folks notice sexy gear on the flight line. Other than the gear, what else could be upgraded - maybe the cockpit as the canopy is large and clear. Perhaps a drop in upgrade if there is demand. The bar has been risen for this model.
                                  Tom

Comment

California Cutie, to the best of my knowledge, had both. That is to say she had full invasion stripes at one time and then was painted to have half stripes, being only on the underside of the wing and the same on the booms. Cutie is actually the livery I modeled my P-38 after. My P-38 is not an actual combat aircraft, but resembles Cutie quite a bit.

Here are some good reference shots of California Cutie with the "half set" of invasion stripes. The last photo is my P-38. Hopefully it will give you a better idea of how to replicate the stripes.
                                    Arycon, thanks for the help...........like I said, my buddy said that this was in constant flux so I'm going to do the half-under body stripes. Thanks for the pictures!

Comment

• Originally posted by PlaneCrazy View Post

Arycon, thanks for the help...........like I said, my buddy said that this was in constant flux so I'm going to do the half-under body stripes. Thanks for the pictures!
                                      Happy to help. Dont match my stripes though. The OCD in me is nitpicking a small mistake on my part. My atripes arent wide enough. The strips appear to split the boom intake in half. That is from the leading edge of the scoop to the trailing edge at the back of it...white on the left and black on the right. I believe the magic number is 59mm. That is how wide each stripe should be (as near as I can tell by photos) to be scale. Mine are shorter than this, maybe 54-55mm but I didnt realize it until it was too late. Doh!

Be sure to double check these measurements before you commit to them, so you avoid my error. And the stripe width should be used for the underside of the wing as well. Good luck!

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YOUNG-Miniatures-YM1856-1-10-USAAF-FIGHTER-PILOT-1944/361491530277?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkpa rms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc% 3D20131017132637%26meid%3D323bb50fbe264c1a97e1d218 8022eed0%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D 361491530277"]1/10 Scale Young Miniatures USAAF Fighter Pilot 1944[/URL]
                                      I have seen him. Fantastic bust with great detail. I just wasnt sold on it because I believe it is a mini bust. I think it is intended as a display piece and has a stand. In any case, easily modified for use in an rc. I wanted a pilot that looked more like he was flying, that is to say, in the midst of looking for enemy fighters. Hence why I picked then Aces of Iron pilot. He has already been shipped and should arrive by lunch on Monday. Im off this coming week and plan to get him painted up for installation Tuesday night. Depends how difficult he is to paint. Hoping for maiden Wednesday with him at the controls.

Comment

California Cutie, to the best of my knowledge, had both. That is to say she had full invasion stripes at one time and then was painted to have half stripes, being only on the underside of the wing and the same on the booms. Cutie is actually the livery I modeled my P-38 after. My P-38 is not an actual combat aircraft, but resembles Cutie quite a bit.

Boy Arycon, putting some of the decals on was a bit challenging. The "S" on the inside of the vertical's was a bit much and I had to slice the "cutie" and the "California Cutie" nomenclature because they went above the hatch. I'm not going to put on the boom decals until I put on the invasion stripes because a couple of places by the slices I had to make for the decals that flowed onto the hatch peeled a little paint. My paint match from Home Depot was right on though so all is good. I have almost all nomenclature for California Cutie on now so what's left is all the other little detail nomenclature that is provided with the plane.

Cheers,
                                        Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by PlaneCrazy View Post

Boy Arycon, putting some of the decals on was a bit challenging. The "S" on the inside of the vertical's was a bit much and I had to slice the "cutie" and the "California Cutie" nomenclature because they went above the hatch. I'm not going to put on the boom decals until I put on the invasion stripes because a couple of places by the slices I had to make for the decals that flowed onto the hatch peeled a little paint. My paint match from Home Depot was right on though so all is good. I have almost all nomenclature for California Cutie on now so what's left is all the other little detail nomenclature that is provided with the plane.

Cheers,
                                          Andy
                                          A tip for putting large or complex shaped decals on an aircraft.....use water with a few drops of detergent added. Spray the surface with the water, apply the decal, slide it around to get it correctly positioned then squeegee out the water. You'll have to wait up to 24hrs for it to fully dry. Another tip is to coat the surface with clear gloss first.

I've posted this tip in the Airplane Tips and Tricks sub forum btw.

Phill
                                          The home hangar seems to breed!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X