X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
    Nice! Awesome collection! I only hope I didn't come off as an ass, just wanted a clear picture of what was going on. I never have done a flap mix, I just fly it. She's a great plane and she will spoil you, as she will be as smooth as the cub, and it doesn't need the as3x to accomplish it. :)
    Not at all.

I'll give it a go with no mix. I bought a new receiver for this one and I didn't go as3x. I figured with the size and weight, I shouldn't need it.

Comment

• Nothing new to those of you that have been flying for a while but damn there is a rats nest of wiring on this bird. I guess I'm going to have to remove the fuselage so I can get to the servo wires so I can test the servos and center them before buttoning everything up.

Comment

• For what it's worth, I have mixed in 27% down elevator with full flap deflection. This seems to keep the glide slope perfect for my landings...without down mixed in she would balloon on me a bit.

Comment

• So I posted this in rcg, thought I would put it here too...

There has been some discussion on going to normal 3 blade props but of course you then need to get spinners. I thought it might not be much of a problem to modify current spinners and decided to give it a shot. Ordered a set of spinners from MRC for proof of concept.

Since I had one on hand and the thread mentioned it, I used a MAS 13x8 prop as my objective. I figured I could just cut off the center post then mount the prop. Picture shows the flaw in that thinking--the prop is 5/8 inch thick so no way to secure it.

So next was to cut off the rest of the prop platform. It sounds a lot harder than it was--use a good quality saw and let the saw do the work. The picture with the magnets is staged to show how I made the cut. I actually held the back plate in one hand and cut with the other. I also rotated the spinner 1/3 every so often so that I made the cuts equally going from outside in. I then dressed it up with a little bit of sanding to take off any fuzz and to ensure flatness.

The second mounted picture shows plenty of thread to secure the prop.

I then temporarily glued the prop to the back plate ensuring the back of the blade was aligned with the spinner groove. I cut a pattern (use file folder material, I used 1/64" ply since I didn't think of file folder first) and marked the spinner. A little quality time with a Dremel and X-acto knife and there it was.

Total time I would say was about an hour from start to finish. Since the back plate is now non-load bearing without attached prop blade, I don't think strength is a concern. I would note for this prop, it would be necessary to shorten the spinner bolt about 1/32" to allow the spinner to seat completely. Would not be an issue for anything smaller--for example, I have a MAS 12x8 two blade prop and the hub is only 1/2". So should be fine for either the 12x6 or 11x7. My thought is I want to try the 11x7 and 6S--and will just order another set of spinners if the cutouts look too big...Pete M

PS--re: potential prop slippage. Either leave the prop glued (Foam Tac or similar) or like I will do, glue some sandpaper on the back plate. Don't think it will be an issue....

Comment

• Crashed my bird last night and it didn't even leave the bench. The problem is it crashed into me and my arms. Fortunately, no damage to the plane. Busted a prop so I'll like need new ones and based on feedback, I should replace the back plate.

Comment

• I've busted 4 blades on the same back plate. No problems still flys great

Comment

I've busted 4 blades on the same back plate. No problems still flys great
                Good to know. I was able to look at it today and I don't see any cracks or anything.

Comment

• I think the trick is tighten the screws down to the point where there is no play in between the blade and the back plate. No tighter. Too tight you stress the threads too loose you stress the plate

Comment

• I checked them today and the blades are loose on the back plate. I didn't try to tighten them down yet. I was trying to get my front landing gear upgrade finished when I bumped the throttle and my arms stopped the propellers. I had to pull the casing apart several times cause I couldn't get the gear to retract. I got it now. Next will be to deal with the props to make sure everything is ok.

Comment

• Ah yeah that's what ended up being the reason for me busting my props the nose gear didn't deploy and thump down on the nose popping the props

Comment

Ah yeah that's what ended up being the reason for me busting my props the nose gear didn't deploy and thump down on the nose popping the props
                        Yeah rifleman-btx, I've gotten in the habbit of making one more circuit around the field after dropping the gear to verify that everything is down. If not, at least you can try cycling them a couple more times before holding the nose off to avoid prop damage.Brad

Comment

• Hello gentlemen!

Just purchased this beauty, was wondering if anyone knows were I can get the Strut Upgrades. Unfortunately it looks like MRC is out. :(

Comment

• R C Castle sells them, but they're not the same set. I actually got one set of each. The RC Castle set has a better nose gear and the MRC mains are better than Castle.You may be able to get both from Castle....not sure. Brad

Comment

• Yes they do carry both.
                              Official Flightline Gear Upgrade set: http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=6032
                              RC Castle Custom Gear set: http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=6140

Comment

• Hi Plastic_Aviator, welcome to Hobby Squawk! If you didn't want to order overseas, I'd recommend submitting your email address in the "Notify Me" field on the strut set's product page to receive an automatic email once the next shipment arrives. It shouldn't be long before we receive the next batch within the month. In the meantime, I always recommend flying the aircraft stock, first. Or break out your airbrush as I know you're a skilled plastic modeler and can really bring out the best in a model's finish.

Just as a fun data point, according to our sales information of the aircraft and the upgrade strut set, about 98% of the FlightLineRC P-38s in the world are flown stock.
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                  Yes they do carry both.
                                  Official Flightline Gear Upgrade set: http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=6032
                                  RC Castle Custom Gear set: http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=6140
                                  Thank you!!!

I just ordered 2 sets just to be safe ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                                    R C Castle sells them, but they're not the same set. I actually got one set of each. The RC Castle set has a better nose gear and the MRC mains are better than Castle.You may be able to get both from Castle....not sure. Brad
                                    I had that reversed, the MRC set has the better nose strut with the scissor on the oleo and Castle has the better mains. And I agree with Alpha on the stock set up but on grass the bumpy field doesn't telegraph to the air frame so much with the functional oleo struts and plane looks much more scale taxiing. Brad

Comment

• Since I own both sets of struts I've thought about using the RC Castle on the mains and the MRC set on the nose.

Anyone else doing that?

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Yeah rifleman-btx, I've gotten in the habbit of making one more circuit around the field after dropping the gear to verify that everything is down. If not, at least you can try cycling them a couple more times before holding the nose off to avoid prop damage.Brad
                                        Indeed I normally do when not in FPV, the hard part about keeping the nose up on my field is it's no was improved enough to keep the speed needed to keep the nose up, and soon as the mains touch it's like catching the 3 wire the nose comes down hard and fast. On my friends field I can ride on the mains all the way across the runway if I wanted. For what it is the field sucks but it's free, and the group of guys flying are top notch like those on here. So I wouldn't trade it for anything. The company sometimes outweighs the runway. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                          Just as a fun data point, according to our sales information of the aircraft and the upgrade strut set, about 98% of the FlightLineRC P-38s in the world are flown stock.
                                          Make it 97% LOL for us modders that used the FMS 1400 P-51 port main gear on the nose and the FMS 1400 P-40B gear on the mains.
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X