Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After watching many, and especially AV8R's videos, I want to go 4s and fly scale. Even at 4s, on the bench, the light controller is too hot to touch. I put in a BEC and things are much cooler. This is something they really need to address.

I'll put the slats/spoilers fixed in the retracted position.

Other than these issues if it flies as well as it does in Adam's videos I'll be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mea culpa View Post
      After watching many, and especially AV8R's videos, I want to go 4s and fly scale. Even at 4s, on the bench, the light controller is too hot to touch. I put in a BEC and things are much cooler. This is something they really need to address.

I'll put the slats/spoilers fixed in the retracted position.

Other than these issues if it flies as well as it does in Adam's videos I'll be happy.
      Thanks for watching my friend. Just remember...it takes power to get the nose up and ride the slats so to speak...and use the rudder. Use the rudder a lot. I hope you find yours as much fun as I do mine. It is challenging to fly really slow, but very gratifying when you get it right. You can also choose to use power to land it normally...you'll flare using both elevator and power. You don't have to get the nose at as high of an angle of attack as I do unless you want to. Happy flying!
      Big time propeller head
      Love flying scale and 3D
      Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt G View Post

Well today was beautiful and just the opportunity to try out my props and get some real numbers. ESC was recalibrated .All three flights were 8 mins and the results were:
        1. 15x8 APC prop on 6s x 5000 measured 42 A and landed with 33%. Performance was good.
        2. 16x10 APC prop on 4s x 5000 measured 32 A and landed with 50%. Performance was subdued but good for pattern work and touch and goes.
        3. 16x10 APC prop on 6s x 5000 measured 62 A and landed with 35%. Performance was very lively.

My preference is the 16x10 on 6s for spirited performance . If you only have 4s that's fine as the plane will still fly ok.
        (checked the motor after landing and was barely warm)

PS - the spinner would not fit with the 17x10 APC so i did not use that prop
        How did you get the APC 15x8 to fit the 8mm motor shaft? I ordered one direct from APC but the inside hole diameter won't fit its too small...it comes with the adapter rings, but I'd have to drill it out for it to fit.. they all have 1/4 size hole and nothing I found any bigger or what am I missing here?

Comment

• Prop reamer…

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbilstrom View Post

How did you get the APC 15x8 to fit the 8mm motor shaft? I ordered one direct from APC but the inside hole diameter won't fit its too small...it comes with the adapter rings, but I'd have to drill it out for it to fit.. they all have 1/4 size hole and nothing I found any bigger or what am I missing here?
            just drill it out

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              Thanks I bought one rite away, got it a few days ago and refitted that APC 15x6 for the Bison. Perfectly balanced, smooth and a lot more power ! Awesome!! Click image for larger version

Name:	Night bison.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	331690

Comment

• Help. Finally got a break in the northwest weather and managed to get a few flights in. Pulls real hard to the left on takeoff and landing. Landing always rolls over and scrapes the wing tip. I have to punch it and take off quick or it'll run off the runway. Both main wheels free spin - no binding. I used Dave Brown 6" foam tires so it isn't a low tire issue. The tail wheel was given lots of oil. I put zip ties in the springs so they can't stretch. Dead stick landings are the same so not P factor, torque, etc. This thing is great to fly - only a few clicks of right rudder trim and aileron. But landings are destroying the wingtips so until I have other things to try to fix it, it's grounded.

video below

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by mea culpa View Post
                    Help. Finally got a break in the northwest weather and managed to get a few flights in. Pulls real hard to the left on takeoff and landing. Landing always rolls over and scrapes the wing tip. I have to punch it and take off quick or it'll run off the runway. Both main wheels free spin - no binding. I used Dave Brown 6" foam tires so it isn't a low tire issue. The tail wheel was given lots of oil. I put zip ties in the springs so they can't stretch. Dead stick landings are the same so not P factor, torque, etc. This thing is great to fly - only a few clicks of right rudder trim and aileron. But landings are destroying the wingtips so until I have other things to try to fix it, it's grounded.

video below
                    Hey bud...watched your video several times. You need a lot of rudder throw and you need to use the rudder. You can't be shy with it...it takes a lot of rudder to counter P factor on takeoff (and your issue on takeoff is absolutely P factor...they all go left) and I'm not seeing you use any really. If it wants to turn left on landing then you now can anticipate that...that is what your plane does, and a lot of planes have a tendency to go one way or the other on roll out. My Corsair for instance goes the same way your Bison does...I know this so I start feeding in right rudder just as I touch down as the plane begins to roll out to correct it. I'm ahead of the tendency...not waiting until I see it go left...at that point I'm already behind it. It may take full deflection...that is fine, and normal in this case...you are slow so the rudder is less effective...so it takes all of it. Set up lots of throw...and use as much as it takes. Dial in as much expo as it takes not to be so sensitive around center stick so you can fly smooth, but remember you may have to move the gimbal a lot to get the deflection you need to correct on landing. As your plane begins to go left...I'm not seeing any rudder input on your video. Not trying to be critical or mean so please don't take this in a bad way, but I can't help you by BSing you. What I'm doing isn't magic in my videos...I just use a lot of rudder and you are not. Hope this helps you my friend.

Edit: A little more info...Some planes need more rudder than others. Some may seem almost automatic, some not that way at all. With models...depending on the design - the power, the amount of right thrust it has, the size of the rudder and throw, how long the tail moment is, what the angle of attack at rest is, how tall the gear is, how narrow the stance is, how high the center of mass is relative to the wheels, and where the main gear is relative to the center of gravity on a tail dragger can affect how easy/hard the ground handling will be. I have said before about the Bison...it is a rudder plane. It is relatively short coupled, has tall main gear, sits at a high angle of attack at rest, has a lot of power, and a high center of mass. It has enough rudder and throw if set up right...but you need all of it at times. There is nothing automatic with this plane...has to be flown all the time...including on the ground.
                    Big time propeller head
                    Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

• I'll also mention I didn't check the installed tail linkages. The elevator was loose and sliding a good 1/8 inch on the servo causing that porpoise landing. This was a very short maiden.
                      Been out one more time with it since this post. I've been to an asphalt runway with no bumps trying to get past this. Full rudder on takeoff ends up with a left ground loop. Had two guys at the field say give it right rudder. I let them try. Ground loop. Let them land. Ground loop. The plane is a treat in the sky. 25° to 30° bank, rudder, and you get a nice scale turn. But the landings just ruins it. This time of year our weather sucks. When my schedule and weather let me go to the field I don't want to waste time with this. When nicer weather comes and more people are flying I may put it up as best offer.

Comment

• Well my friend all I can do is throw a little logic your way. I read what you are writing, but I can't inspect your plane and look at your set up. All I can do is judge the one thing I can see...in your video you are not using rudder properly. There has to be something in your set up, your gear alignment (maybe something is bent?? Too much toe in or out), or your ground handling technique.

If it was the plane I couldn't do it, much less repeat it over and over again with no ground loops. We are doing a third video on the Bison next Monday where we fly it without slats to do a comparison. Another video with no ground loops and lots of take offs and landings. I get you let other people try...they may not be any better with rudder than you are. My plane doesn't have anything special that yours doesn't...stock rudder, tail wheel, main gear and even the stock tires...which are sometimes not equal in pressure. Still it will take off and land without a ground loop if I do my part. If I do my part. So many RC pilots get behind a taildragger and don't know it. It takes a lot of practice to get ahead of them...to anticipate a tendency. The Bison is demanding in this regard, and you won't get there (learn these techniques well) in one additional trip to the field. In your video...you are way behind it. By the way...the pavement isn't helping you. It is much harder to handle a taildragger on pavement than grass...even rough grass.

The saving grace...these skills can be learned and then repeated consistently.
                        Big time propeller head
                        Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

• Our latest video on the Model AV8R channel will be up on Monday...the third on the Bison. We will post it here. Flying performance with no slats, and a bit on the tires/gear...we may have figured out something that might make the ground loop/wing scrapes worse that has to do with gear set up.
                          Big time propeller head
                          Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

• Here is our latest episode on the Model AV8R Channel!

In Model AV8R Episode 15, we revisit the Skynetic Bison. We assess the Bison's performance with the slats removed and discuss a new theory on the tire/gear s...
                            Big time propeller head
                            Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

• \

Comment

• Originally posted by Nutz4flying View Post
                                Landing Gear Bracket Replacement

One of the features of the Skynetic Bison XT model is the unique metal articulating undercarriage. This design features breakaway parts that can be repaired or replaced while limiting risk of damage to internal parts of the model. Two of the breakaway parts are the brackets which attach the undercarriage to the bottom of the fuselage. The brackets that are supplied with the mLodel kit are made of molded metal, which when put under stress, will break at the attachment point to the bracket base or elsewhere. A replacement bracket from the model manufacturer is not available, except as one of the parts included in the undercarriage replacement package.

Big A Tools, an Ohio-based small business, has designed a replacement bracket specifically to fit the Bison XT. The replacement bracket will fit the fuselage’s recesses and the screw holes align with the fuselage attachment points as well as the undercarriage attachment points.

There is a quantity of 4 brackets shipped with each order. Keep two brackets in your field box for an on the spot repair if needed after your next hard landing. Use the original screws included with the kit.

Order the brackets directly from Big A Tools. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1110617...r-brackets-for

Caution: These replacement brackets are not worth buying. They are made out of cheap plastic and will break very easily. Bracket broke taking-off from a grass field, leaving my landing gear hanging resulting in a crash landing. Worse $10 I've ever spent!

Comment

• For those with the Light Controller heat issue.
                                  I opened a ticket about the issue many months ago.
                                  Received an updated controller yesterday.

Will let you know how it works.

Comment

• What ever happened to the floats? I wanna get this plane but not without the floats.

Comment

• My Swedish version 😄

Comment

• Have anybody fixed the heat problem with the strobe circuit

Comment

• Anyword on when the floats will be in stock, been waiting a year now.

Comment

Working...
                                          X