Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought this a year ago and finally getting around to building it. I thought I made a mistake buying it when I first starting reading this thread, but I think it's going to be a pretty good plane now.

I do have a couple questions though... first, does anyone know what screw is used at the bottom of the rudder to secure it to the fuse? The tail wheel package only had two screws and the screws I've tried appear to be too big.

Second, after reading Adam's posts about the slats, am I to understand that they are to be left unconnected from the flap servo? It sounds like they will act as slats or spoilers automaticcaly depending one the planes attitude.

I was going to get it ready to fly tomorrow. After reading through this entire thread though, I'm going to push the maiden back a week or so and make sure everything is set up correctly.

Comment

• The rudder is secured with a very small screw. They have a habit of throwing in extra screws which is great but not very helpful when trying to work out which goes where. Look for the smallest screw and if it's not there then you'll have to get one!

I smashed up my Bison - I didn't appreciate how much power to use when landing so damaged my undercarriage many times. Finally i allowed it to fly too slowly and it stalled into some power lines, shorted across them and caught fire! I'spent a fortune on new parts and this time I spent ages setting up the slats and flaps so that the slats open and close properly and evenly. The slats were a bit stiff so I oiled all the hinges and worked them until they freed up. I think it is worth watching the AV8R videos on YouTube. He has spent some time flying it with and without flaps and discussing landing techniques. I'm going to be a lot, lot more careful about how I fly her this time round. I've removed the Y harness from the ailerons so that I could make them droop a little with take-off flap. I had intended to do the same with the flaps so I could have full-span ailerons, then realised the flaps won't go upwards so abandoned that idea! Good luck.

Comment

• I watched one of his videos and need to watch the other two. I did connect a 6s lipo to set up the radio. For the roughly 5 minutes or so it was connected, the light controller didn't get very hot. I will probably still use a separate bec anyway to be safe. Regarding the main lights, using a three position switch in the middle position causes the lights to flash every few seconds. Something I haven't seen mentioned yet here. For now I will finish the build and see what screws are left to use on the rudder.

Comment

• I disconnected the lights whilst I was setting up the radio because I could feel the controller heating up. You have reminded me to secure it in a position where it will get some airflow. In or post crash I disconnected all the light leads and of course now don't know where they should go! The lights work but no flashing or control. Where should the twisted black and white wires be connected. Are they the 'control' wires. Did you have to put them onto a channel to be able to switch the lights. If so, I think I will have to connect them - with a Y cable - to work with the flaps.

Comment

• The black and white wire connector goes into your receiver. I had it controlled by a 3 position switch and had off, flashing, and steady on. The other 2 connectors for the remaining lights just plug into an empty rx slot.

I've got the plane done, just need to glue and air up the tires. Can I just leave the slats loose or do I need to secure them to the wing? I have them completely disconnected from everything right now and they can move freely.

Comment

• Thanks very much for all of that. As regards the slats. If they are as stiff to move as mine were, I would leave them loose in the closed position and put a bit of tape over the actuating arm to secure it. All on the basis you will eventually want to use the slats. I think I would be inclined to use a couple of small bits of duct tape or whatever to secure the slats in the closed position.

Comment

• After fighting with the slats all last year, I just removed them even though that was one reason I bought it. It flies like a different plane great now with no bad tendency and still has a great stol attitude. I really enjoy flying it now, it is my every day flyer. I just wish they would get the floats in another reason I bought it.

Comment

• Thank You!!! for finally coming out with the float set last Friday, order it right away and received it 24 hrs. later on Saturday...👍 Always shocked on how fast your shipping is for standard FedEx...👍
                  . My question is there are no instructions with the floats or online.
                  . Plus it looks like I am missing one of the brackets with the peg single screw on the left only have 3 need 4 and they gave me 5 of the brackets on the right and only need 4.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Are there instructions for the float set?

Comment

• Hey everyone I hope all of you that have had the chance to really get out there and explore some of the unique flight envelope's the Bison has to offer. I may be around 50 or so flights so far and I'm just beginning to explore the limits of what it can do. I felt compelled to come back here and say out of all my planes I fly regularly, the Bison just keeps getting better and better, as fly it more and more I feel like I've just barely explored the limits of slow flight and short landings. Its just unique, with an AR637TA spektrum RX, I also installed an Avian 100 amp esc and setup reverse braking, with dual ailerons i've barely scratched the surface of slow approaches and extreme AOA landings. Its just fun and I am so glad I spent the time with it and figured out all the little problems, like the slats, tail wheel, landing gear..weak control surface hinges that rip off easily, the lights and wacky voltage regulator. Its been frustrating at times, but its all paid off, I'm running a Eolo 15x10 prop on the stock motor with a 4000 50c CNHL 6s and I'm getting 8-10 mins of flight using moderate to full throttle. I hope to further explore all the fun this unique aircraft has to offer in the coming summer, as I am still quite new to flying currently in my 3rd year of RC, one can start really exploring their true style of flying. Thanks and happy flying everyone.

Comment

• Hello, I am new to the forum and have a question - I bought a Bison XT several months ago. Started assembling it last week and realize that the wing tip plates are missing. They are not available on Motion RC as an item to purchase. Does anyone have a drawing for these objects? I can make them from sheet fiber glass but need the basic shape to do so.

thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Pahlevan View Post
                          Hello, I am new to the forum and have a question - I bought a Bison XT several months ago. Started assembling it last week and realize that the wing tip plates are missing. They are not available on Motion RC as an item to purchase. Does anyone have a drawing for these objects? I can make them from sheet fiber glass but need the basic shape to do so.

thanks
                          Have you checked all the packaging material in case they got lost in there? Also, check every nook and cranny of the box and the underside in case they got taped there. Have you contacted Motion customer service about this? Failing all this, you could make them out of plastic sheets or even foamboard if that's not too thick.

Comment

• Wesley recommends "Vaseline or lotion" for the tire valve stems to reduce leaking. Has anybody tried silicone grease? I don't think silicone will degrade the rubber over time.

Thanks! Woody

Comment

• We used to use silicone grease as a vacuum grease. It'll be fine. On my old DRACO, when I had blow up balloon tires, I didn't put any pressure in the them. They held up the plane just on the tire sidewall strength alone.
                              I even run zero pressure in my tires on the fat bike.

Comment

• Bonjour de France.
                                Je suis très intéressé par le Bison, car j'aime beaucoup le vol STOL ,j'ai eu pas mal d'avions de Brousse ( Cessna 170 Flex Innovations, Carbon Z Eflite, Bushmaster Extrême Flight) j'ai eu aussi des avions 3D Extrême Flight, j'ai 40 ans de modélisme. Et je suis grand père de 6 petits enfants. J'ai lu et visionné tous les posts et vidéos sur le Bison, je crois qu'il va me plaire, chez nous le terrain est assez petit avec des interdictions de survol , le lac et la route qui le borde, une piste en gazon synthétique de 60 mètres de long sur 8 de large et des approches bordées par de hautes buttes.

Hello from France.
                                I am very interested in the Bison, because I really like the STOL flight, I had a lot of Bush planes (Cessna 170 Flex Innovations, Carbon Z Eflite, Bushmaster Extreme Flight) I also had 3D Extreme Flight planes, I have 40 years of model making. And I’m a grandfather of six grandchildren. I’ve read and watched all the posts and videos about the Bison, I think I’ll like it, home the terrain is quite small with no overflights, the lake and the road that borders it, a synthetic grass track 60 metres long by 8 metres wide and approaches bordered by high hillsides.​

Comment

• Hello from France.
                                  I am very interested in the Bison, because I really like the STOL flight, I had a lot of Bush planes (Cessna 170 Flex Innovations, Carbon Z Eflite, Bushmaster Extreme Flight) I also had 3D Extreme Flight planes, I have 40 years of model making. And I’m a grandfather of six grandchildren. I’ve read and watched all the posts and videos about the Bison, I think I’ll like it, home the terrain is quite small with no overflights, the lake and the road that borders it, a synthetic grass track 60 metres long by 8 metres wide and approaches bordered by high hillsides.​

Comment

• Après avoir tout lu sur le Bison , je vous soumets la configuration que je veux adopter,
                                    Je reste en 6s ,j’ai des 6s 3500 mAh
                                    Je conserve le train et les pneus d’origine
                                    j’ai un ESC Hobbywing Platinum 100A
                                    J’ai 6 servos KST neufs
                                    Pour les lumières j’ai un contrôleur Unilight que j’alimente directement avec une batterie Life
                                    je monte aussi une Aura 8 que j’ai sur tout mes avions, car il y a toujours de vent chez nous.
                                    je prévois sur l’Aura 8 un mode Crow pour effectuer des ascenseurs et du vol très lent ,avec je pense ne pas mettre les lattes ou les laisser en place fixe.
                                    Voila ,qu’en pensez vous, je précise que j’ai l’habitude des aux grands angles et du 3D.
                                    Je vais l’acheter mais pas dans l’immédiat car je dois subir une très grosse opération du cœur au printemps, donc quelques mois sans voler.

After reading all about the Bison, I submit to you the configuration I want to adopt,
                                    I stay in 6s, I have 6s 3500 mAh
                                    I keep the original train and tires
                                    I have a Hobbywing Platinum 100A ESC
                                    I have 6 new KST servos
                                    For the lights I have a Unilight controller that I power directly with a Life battery
                                    I also ride an Aura 8 that I have on all my planes, because there is always wind at home.
                                    I plan on the Aura 8 a Crow mode to perform lifts and very slow flight, with I do not put the slats or leave them in fixed place.
                                    Here, what do you think, I specify that I am used to the great angles and the 3D.
                                    I’ll buy it, but not right now because I have to have a very big heart surgery in the spring, so a few months without flying.

Comment

• Aujourd’hui j’ai commandé le Bison v2 chez Motionrc Europe, il devrait arriver lundi prochain, j’ai hâte de le monter, je vais faire quelques modifications.

Today I ordered the Bison v2 from Motionrc Europe, it should arrive next Monday, I look forward to mounting it, I will make some modifications.

Comment

• Fogly That sounds like an exciting setup! I hope you share some photos.

Je vous souhaite tout le meilleur pour votre opération. Ayant moi-même subi une intervention cardiaque majeure, j'ai une idée de ce que vous devez ressentir. Et maintenant, un an et demi après mon opération, j'espère que je peux être un exemple pour vous en gardant la foi et le courage que vous récupérerez et que vous serez meilleur grâce à cela. Je suis heureux que vous ayez décidé de prendre l'avion. Mes projets d'avion m'ont permis de penser positivement pendant le dernier an et demi. J'attends toujours avec impatience de voler ! C'est l'essence de la façon de voir la vie, un grand projet vers lequel nous pouvons toujours nous tourner, les épreuves et les tribulations ne sont que des choses mineures à réparer ou à contourner. Bonne chance et je vous souhaite la paix!

Comment

• Merci beaucoup pour vos encouragements cela me touche vraiment.
                                          Bien sûr je posterai des photos sur le site.
                                          Mes modifications seront un peu différentes après réflexions.
                                          Voici comment je vois cela.
                                          Toujours 6s
                                          Aura 8
                                          Pour les lumières je vais voir si le nouveau contrôleur fonctionne bien.
                                          J’ai un jeu générateurs de vortex que j’avais avec mon ancien Carbon Z , que je vais peindre et monter sur le bison à la place des lattes.
                                          Je vais voir si le moteur Dualsky qui est sur mon Gamebird EF va sur le bison.
                                          Et bien sûr les 6 servos KST ms 589 brushless et à capteurs électroniques qui ont un retour au neutre parfait.
                                          Peut être une double alimentation.
                                          J’adore modifier mes avions (surtout les mousses ,en changeant les composants de médiocre qualité par des bons) ça m’occupe bien et ça m’oblige à réfléchir.

Thank you very much for your encouragement that really touches me.
                                          Of course I will post photos on the site.
                                          My modifications will be a bit different after reflection.
                                          Here’s how I see it.
                                          Always 6s
                                          Aura8
                                          For the lights I will see if the new controller works well.
                                          I have a vortex-generating game that I had with my old Carbon Z, which I will paint and ride on the bison instead of the slats.
                                          I’ll see if the Dualsky engine on my Gamebird EF goes on the buffalo.
                                          And of course the 6 servos KST ms 589 brushless and electronic sensors that have a perfect return to neutral.
                                          Could be a double feed.
                                          I love to modify my planes (especially the foams, by changing the components of mediocre quality by good ones) it keeps me busy and it forces me to think.​

Comment

Working...
                                          X