Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad you found that before disaster struck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
      I think I found the problem of the buzzing noise on my maiden flight it would only happen at full throttle. When I crashed it the props didn't break but one of the hubs had cracked where the prop blades mount to the hub so I replaced both hubs and went ahead and installed new props for my piece of mind. The pics show where the crack occurred I'm sure glad that the hub didn't come apart in flight, I'll be sure to inspect them before each flight.
      Good catch MB! Luckily it didn't come apart in flight:Whew:
      Remember....No Lock-tight around any plastic:Cool:

Can't wait to see the repaint! Keep us posted.

Comment

• I thought it was strange that it only buzzed at full throttle that is why I checked the hubs. I shutter to think what might have happened if it threw a prop. I really didn't want to do another rebuild.

Comment

• I went to put mine in the air Friday after work and 30ft or so down the driveway about 1 ft in the air a prop blew off and it did a nose dive breaking the front gear pin. Pin of course is on backorder (wonder why) and no reverse props. I inspected the prop assembly that thank God blew out front instead of into the plane and the spinner screw is still in the shaft. Must have just busted right through the plastic...doing the LX B25 fix for the props. Silly we cant get the props, and even goofier the plastic crap inside the spinner on a plane this heavy and with that much torque. I did notice a few of the single props were kind of loose in the housing but on trying to tighten them in all I did was strip the screw heads. REALLY glad it wasn't in the air and had this issue...would have been a dead plane with probably no idea what happened. First disappointment with flightline...this is a REALLY crappy designed prop assembly now that I am looking into it.

Comment

• Before I launched my Tcat I hold on the plane and run up the motors to full speed for a few seconds it gives me piece of mind knowing the props are secure.

Comment

• Yeah I should have known better. During my pre flight I noticed both props had a few with a tiny bit of movement. Kinda figured that's the way it is...the B25 mod is cheap enough though. Banana total was 38 bucks. I am going to try and find a pin in my pile of crash/leftover stuff today. Hopefully have one somewhere. Just looking at it afterwards and comparing it to all my others...it's a bad design.

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post
                Yeah I should have known better. During my pre flight I noticed both props had a few with a tiny bit of movement. Kinda figured that's the way it is...the B25 mod is cheap enough though. Banana total was 38 bucks. I am going to try and find a pin in my pile of crash/leftover stuff today. Hopefully have one somewhere. Just looking at it afterwards and comparing it to all my others...it's a bad design.
                Prestonowtn-
                Can you please provide details/links if possible to the B25 mod for $38?
                I am unable to fly my TC due to broken prop hubs that have been out of stock for weeks.
                They seem to be a weak point and I would like to avoid this situation in future.
                I am assuming you replaced the Props and spinner hubs but what about the motor prop shaft?
                I am really discouraged with this situation so any help getting me in the air again is greatly appreciated.
                KC

Comment

• Sure man. Banana Hobby for the LX B25 props and prop nuts .. then motion has the FMS prop shaft adapter 1300mm 3D. I did run into an issue today though...maybe someone here has a trick...two of the hex heads holding the prop adapter on the motor stripped right out..the heads just tink..wallowed before either one broke loose. Never had that happen before. Any ideas? I was going to see if the adapters from the P38 would work with the 2 blade system while I wait on parts.

Comment

• Make sure it is the BIG B25 from BlitzRC..they have a large one and a small one.

Comment

• OK...went out to the shop and took a 600kv I have from a P38 ground explosion and it hooks up just fine, the single "speed" 12/8 props go right on it and the original prop nut from the P38 work. I am betting Motion has all of that stuff in stock instead of ordering a bunch of different stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kencz View Post

Prestonowtn-
                        Can you please provide details/links if possible to the B25 mod for $38?
                        I am unable to fly my TC due to broken prop hubs that have been out of stock for weeks.
                        They seem to be a weak point and I would like to avoid this situation in future.
                        I am assuming you replaced the Props and spinner hubs but what about the motor prop shaft?
                        I am really discouraged with this situation so any help getting me in the air again is greatly appreciated.
                        KC
                        Hey Ken...I wouldn't go spend the money on the mod just yet...I may have wasted mine. Since I couldn't get the hex screws out I swapped out for the motors from a trashed P38 and put the single "speed" props on that I was going to use on the P38. If you can get those pesky hex screws out of the prop shaft the standard P38 shafts work great and they are a stock item....if not... That was the easiest motor swap I have ever done and the single props look great on it. Same size as the 3 bangers but for some reason they look bigger and more scale.

Comment

• I was thinking today about the prop hubs on my Tcat and I am concerned that the prop hub might fail where the screw that holds the hub to the motor. The reason I am concerned is that I have to remove the props for transport and install them when I get to the flying field and I think that might weaken the plastic hub where the screw contacts the hub.

Comment

• That's exactly where mine failed..the screw ripped right through the hub. I tweaked it a bit pre-flight to make sure they were tight and BOOM. Glad I wasn't way in the air when it happened. The P38 prop shafts work perfect with the two blade prop and the prop nut from the P38 also...I wasted some time and money with the B25 stuff. Good thing is I will have a spare set to make it a 3 blade again I guess...lol Will post pictures tomorrow...

Comment

• This is how I fixed mine also I called motion rc and sent a picture to Derik.I used a washer from the frame side on a trex 450 and a screw long enough to tighten into the motor shaft

Comment

• Originally posted by rcboone2000 View Post
                                This is how I fixed mine also I called motion rc and sent a picture to Derik.I used a washer from the frame side on a trex 450 and a screw long enough to tighten into the motor shaft
                                I was thinking of the same fix just have to find a long enough screw to secure the prop

Comment

• Here is the fix with the single prop. Still have to try and make a front pin for the landing gear since they are on backorder for God knows how long

Comment

• OK front nose gear pin. Ordered the spring loaded gear. The center gear does NOT come with a pin. The broken pin I have is a cast metal..thats why it broke. Great design, flared end that keeps it in place instead of the C clip. I took the plastic off one of the old side gear leg, measured it off to the size of the front gear pin, used a die grinder to cut the long slot. To get the flare at the bottom you need an acetylene torch. Tried a propane torch first and it does not get the metal hot enough. Got the metal glowing and popped it with a steel hammer a few times until I got a flared end. Went back to the die grinder and ground off the curve from the flared end until the bottom of the pin is the same diameter but still has the flare at the end so the pin sits flush in the housing. A little of a pain in the ass but the steel quality is far greater than the cast pin that breaks. This pin should last a long time. Hope this helps any of you out there with the broken front pin issue.

Comment

• Here is another setup. Received the B25 props today. They kinda fit on the P38 shafts but were about an inch or more from the housing. Looked kind of off..I cut the back half inch off the props and they look much better now. Glued some sandpaper to the back of the prop so they would grip the aluminum shaft plate. There was no size or pitch info on the props. They measure 3/4 in longer than stock and look to be a lighter pitch. A- 6 or 4 possibly. Weather permitting I will take it up tomorrow and see how she flies. It does look better with the three blades on it and if anything it looks more realistic with the bigger props. Ground clearance in 1 3/4.

Comment

• Started on the paint job on the Tcat today. Got the wings primed this afternoon.

Comment

• Make that magic airbrush sing brother!

Comment

Working...
                                          X