X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post

I used the Minwax Flat finish on my Spitfire after applying the paint and have not had any trouble yet. The only place I could find the flat (as opposed to the Matte finish) was online. I sprayed it on for maximum 'flatness'. As I've stated before, for maximum gloss, use a brush, for maximum flat, use a spray gun.

With a black finish, I think I would do a post paint coat. Easier than dealing with the gatoring. I refinished my P-40 in gloss and it took 6 coats and some sanding, then two more coats of gloss to get rid of the gatoring. Good thing I have a 6s system in her.LOL Actually. I find it funny when people worry about how much extra weight you add when applying a water based finish but don't seem t worry about the extra weight that a sound system adds. HMMM:Thinking::Thinking:

Grossman56
    LOL ain't that the truth.
    Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Gross man,
      Are you spraying or brushing on your Minwax?
      I brush on two “primer” coats over the factory paint, the “rattle” can spray for larger sections. After the “base” coat of color, then the airbrush comes out to complete the paint. Then I’ll seal the graphics with spunged brush Minwax.
      PS. Where on line do you get your FLAT Minwax?

:corsair:saywha

Comment

• My rule of thumb is...
        For glossiest, use a brush, for flatest, use a spray gun. I found the Flat Minwax online, I'm at work right now, but I'll think it was on Amazon, I'll check when I get home.

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Code:
          I’m
          using this (Rust-Oleum clear dead flat) product. Dries Flat and offers UV protection. Costs less than $7.00 at Lowe’s. :Cool:

Comment

• Looks like a great product Alfer!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Got 2 good flights on my Tcat today:). I had a scary first flight which scared the crap out of me. I took it up and went to bank to the left and it went to the right I had the ailerons reversed! I was able to get it back to the ground with no damage I cant believe I didn't catch it before I took off, stupid move on my part. After I set the ailerons to move correctly I was able to have two great flights! It sure looked great flying with the new paint scheme.

Comment

• That paint scheme really stands out to me! It looks like a completely different aircraft. Well done as always, Mad Baron!

I'm glad you caught the aileron reversal issue before it became fatal!
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I was flying the plane when I dicovered my problem with the ailerons

Comment

• You did see Ryan's Video, "How to make a grown man cry" didn't you?

Enjoy! Subscribe if you like it and give us a thumbs up..Support our channel here: https://teespring.com/stores/rc-pilots-lounge-2 https://www.patreon.com/P...

I know how it is, you get excited and before you know it, if you're lucky, you're flying and suddenly, OOOPPS!
                    At least you got back on the ground!
                    Preflight, preflight, preflight !!!
                    I did it last season with a buddies brand new Pandora and managed to get it on he ground. got talking and didn't do a preflight. For all the preflights that I've done since my first year when I flew P-1 for the first time, and didn't do a preflight (GOTCHA!) and have nevr ran into an issue, the one time I forget and guess what, Murph's Law gets me.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                      the one time I forget and guess what, Murph's Law gets me.

Grossman56
                      I Hate Murphy and his silly Laws! :Angry:

Comment

• Murphy had nothing to do with this. It was Nick's for not doing a proper preflight. I changed radios to my new Spectrum and didn't check the ailerons for proper movement. Glad it was stable enough to get back on the ground. I think I am going to make out a preflight checklist to follow before flying my planes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                          Murphy had nothing to do with this. It was Nick's for not doing a proper preflight. I changed radios to my new Spectrum and didn't check the ailerons for proper movement. Glad it was stable enough to get back on the ground. I think I am going to make out a preflight checklist to follow before flying my planes.
                          A good stable machine and don't forget a very attentive Pilot to bring it back to earth in one piece!;)

Great job Nick! :Cool:

Comment

• MB:
                            Back in the “Day” I flew an Aeronca 7DC. It doesn’t get any simpler than that; I STILL USED A CHECK LIST (Five items I think).
                            You know the saying about “old” and “bold” pilots. ;)
                            I’m glad to be an “old” one - Thanks to Check Lists :Cool:
                            Keep ‘me flyin’ !

Comment

• I luckily one day was fixing to fly my Pandora in the taildragger mode and didn't take check and do a preflight and caught it when I wanted to go left and it went right. I stopped and reversed everything. I learned then to check and do a proper preflight every time before I go up.
                              Still Learning:D

Comment

• Been flying R/C for 40 years and lost my Pattern ship few weeks ago due to "reversed ailerons". In my case I had to plug each one in to its own channel in the Rx at assembly and ----------- ! I do dumb thumbs but thought I was beyond that one ! I always tell newbies that even though the surfaces wiggle when you move the sticks, they got to do it in the correct direction !
                                You have to admire the skills to get her back down safely even after figuring out the problem -- that is instant muscle memory reversal. Way more than my old brain can achieve.

Comment

• Quick question, I bought my TigerCat used and I want to do a slight custom paint job on the nacelles and I'm wondering, does it matter which prop goes on which nacelle? Does it matter if they turn inboard or outboard? It doesn't really say in the manual, so it probably doesn't matter, but I was just wondering. Currently they're set to turn outboard.

I realize it probably doesn't matter on these planes, but the P-38 initially turned inboard but the prop wash caused problems with the twin tail and it was changed to turning outboard.

Comment

• The “reverse” prop goes on the starboard (right) side as per factory setup.

Comment

• My rule of thumb is if I look down on the blade from the top. it should angle to the wing tip.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellke View Post
                                        Quick question, I bought my TigerCat used and I want to do a slight custom paint job on the nacelles and I'm wondering, does it matter which prop goes on which nacelle? Does it matter if they turn inboard or outboard? It doesn't really say in the manual, so it probably doesn't matter, but I was just wondering. Currently they're set to turn outboard.

I realize it probably doesn't matter on these planes, but the P-38 initially turned inboard but the prop wash caused problems with the twin tail and it was changed to turning outboard.
                                        Thought I would add to what the other said - and tell you that you also need to look at the prop adapters. One of them is normal, the other has a reverse thread... chances are they weren't moved around, but they are like that so that the prop nut tightens against the prop rotation.
                                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Ordered the landing gear upgrade just need to clear off my workbench before I can do the install

Comment

Working...
                                          X