Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a recommendation of a touch-up paint and color for the "Tigercat" that will not attack the foam?

Comment

• Take a flat piece of the plane and go to Home Depot or Lowe's and have them color match. Ask for a small tester pint in latex. You won't need that much, but it's the cheapest route, only $3 or $4 max.
      Pat

Comment

• alpha

on rcg there has been some talk of mixing rudder with opposite aileron with some down elevator for knife edge and slow roll flight.. any thoughts on mixing on this bird other than that of down elevator for flaps deploying

Comment

• Originally posted by lkruse View Post
          Anyone have a recommendation of a touch-up paint and color for the "Tigercat" that will not attack the foam?
          Home Depo,Behr ultra-Base UL203,,(CLRNT)-384,,(BL)-198,,(EL)-75,,(KXL)-54,,(VUL)-8,,Small 8oz test size.And I made mine a Shinny with 2 coats of Varthane(Gloss) Spar Urethane outdoor clear,with UV protect.Just brushed it on with a inch brush.thin coats to avoid runs.The paint is water clean up. FYI) In my member photo,I had not made the TC a Shinny yet.

Comment

• Take a look at this run up picture of my favorite Tigercat. It occurred to me that the reduction gear housing at the front of that big R-2800 engine is almost identical in size, scale wise, to the electric motor diameter of the model. As I mentioned before, I've been looking for a way to set the false plastic cylinders back a bit for a more scale look. Notice on the real bird how far back the actual cylinders sit. This is an issue that has bothered me on just about every model that used the P and W R-2800. So I'm thinking that if you cut the false reduction gear out with about a sixteenth inch clearance all around, you could slide the false cylinders back a bit for a more scale look. Maybe carefully paint the front of the electric motor to match the color of the gear reduction housing and let that act as the housing. I still don't have the plane yet, just the LX B-25 props but judging from the parts list of the Tigercat it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to adapt the false cylinders to attach farther back. Then I could paint that inner air direction ring white like the Big Bossman, and the rest of the plane black of course. Any thoughts gentleman? Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
              Take a look at this run up picture of my favorite Tigercat. It occurred to me that the reduction gear housing at the front of that big R-2800 engine is almost identical in size, scale wise, to the electric motor diameter of the model. As I mentioned before, I've been looking for a way to set the false plastic cylinders back a bit for a more scale look. Notice on the real bird how far back the actual cylinders sit. This is an issue that has bothered me on just about every model that used the P and W R-2800. So I'm thinking that if you cut the false reduction gear out with about a sixteenth inch clearance all around, you could slide the false cylinders back a bit for a more scale look. Maybe carefully paint the front of the electric motor to match the color of the gear reduction housing and let that act as the housing. I still don't have the plane yet, just the LX B-25 props but judging from the parts list of the Tigercat it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to adapt the false cylinders to attach farther back. Then I could paint that inner air direction ring white like the Big Bossman, and the rest of the plane black of course. Any thoughts gentleman? Brad
              Hello Downwind,
              Here's my thoughts.....................
              I think your being overly bothered to where what you want to do is going to get you little gains in aesthetics versus the required amount of surgery it will take to move that faux radial back.
              You'll definitely understand what I mean once you have the beast in hand to see what you'll be up against on that firewall.
              Here's a pic of mine with the LX prop and notice that the radial does set back a distance in a stock mount.
              I've added oil lines and the top cans for a little better scale look however.
              Just a reminder........that LX prop can be used on the stock motor with use of an FMS motor shaft I documented here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	68334
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Hey OV10, thanks so much for the feedback.Adding the spark plug lines is a nice touch. I guess I'll have to wait ,as you say, 'til I have the plane in hand to see what I'm up against regarding the faux radial. BTW thanks for the reminder on the motor shafts but too late, I ordered the whole motor/shaft assembly per TI. Right now I'm looking at the LX B-25 props mounted on their motor and shaft and that's what gave me the idea about replacing the front reduction gear housing with the motor in the first place. Anyway,we'll see how it goes. It'll have to wait 'til I get the A-10 payed for. Thanks Again, Brad

Comment

• I just used this for the first time and it is much better than Min-Wax. I really like this this final finish it gives. I use a good brush to apply and there are no brush line visible. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                    Take a look at this run up picture of my favorite Tigercat. It occurred to me that the reduction gear housing at the front of that big R-2800 engine is almost identical in size, scale wise, to the electric motor diameter of the model. As I mentioned before, I've been looking for a way to set the false plastic cylinders back a bit for a more scale look. Notice on the real bird how far back the actual cylinders sit. This is an issue that has bothered me on just about every model that used the P and W R-2800. So I'm thinking that if you cut the false reduction gear out with about a sixteenth inch clearance all around, you could slide the false cylinders back a bit for a more scale look. Maybe carefully paint the front of the electric motor to match the color of the gear reduction housing and let that act as the housing. I still don't have the plane yet, just the LX B-25 props but judging from the parts list of the Tigercat it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to adapt the false cylinders to attach farther back. Then I could paint that inner air direction ring white like the Big Bossman, and the rest of the plane black of course. Any thoughts gentleman? Brad
                    I'm still listening,hope there are others looking for a more scale look,Brad

Comment

• I noticed that in the picture, the inside of the nacelle is white, now, that can help create the illusion in the model, that the cylinders are further back, especially if you went so far as to paint the tops of the cylinders white as well.
                      Might be worth your while to try. No cutting and paint is cheap, you can always repaint them if your not satisfied.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                        I noticed that in the picture, the inside of the nacelle is white, now, that can help create the illusion in the model, that the cylinders are further back, especially if you went so far as to paint the tops of the cylinders white as well.
                        Might be worth your while to try. No cutting and paint is cheap, you can always repaint them if your not satisfied.

Grossman56
                        Leave it up to the artist to think of that..........it is a known fact that white does create a perspective of depth.
                        Good suggestion Gman :Cool:
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks CB, the proof is in the paint!!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks for the input boys. I was going to at least do the white just to replicate that particular Tigercat. My tendency to make a plane look just right is my undoing sometimes. Not to excited about the way the gear doors operate either ,wish they operated like the P-38 .Right now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by how much work I'm going to have to do for an ARF. Unless I can make this plane look like the Big Bossman, it may not work for me. I may feel differently after I've got the hawg here and flying or it may have to wait 'til next winter. Thanks again, Brad BTW,my favorite plane of all time is the F4U 1A Corsair and I haven't done that one yet for the same reason-it just looks lame,sorry.

Comment

• Give me a Corsair PLEASE any day. I:Heart:them to.
                              Dewey l

Comment

• Hey Dewey, glad to hear it. There is no WWII plane out there that can hold a candle to the bent wing bird.:corsair I'm currently working on an ESM 85" corsair and probably still will be when they put me in the ground. I've spent more time and money on the gear and gear doors of this Corsair than the FMS P-51 and the Freewing P-38 put together!!!!! I'm hoping that Alpha and the boys and girls at MotionRC will hear my nightly plea for a 2 meter corsair that I can put together in less than a season of House of Cards with a cowling that doesn't look like a cut out sauce pan and a faux engine that doesn't look like it slid forward like freight in the box car of a train crash!!! I've got $10,000 invested in 7 foot wing scale aircraft-that's two incomplete planes- and I will give both of them to the first person who can talk the good folks at MRC into producing a 2 meter corsair, or a whole line of 2 meter single engine fighters from WWII. It's been done by Banana Hobbies so why can't they, and a damn site better! That's where I'm at, your Corsair buddy Brad P.S. Was that over the top?:Confused:

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	68739Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	68740Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	68741Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0666.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	68742 Lookie, lookie.... what I've been up to ;)
                                  Here it is again after a few tweaks and improvements Video #3....Now it's time to finish it up and paint the wings.
                                  Brandon Moon

Comment

• OUUUHHHHH, that's ballsie .:Cool: Can't wait to see the proof in the puddin flight video ;)
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• I HEAR YA BRAD. NO MAN NOT OVER THE TOP.:)
                                      Dewey l

Comment

• Thanks Dewey, I'm hoping more people will put their two cents in about larger WWII fighters, Brad

Comment

• Here is a little more progress on the Folding wing new Tigercat I've been working on

She's about 85% complete, still need to add ESC's and finish out the decals along with more detailing to come later.The Wings can be locked down with the ins...
                                          Brandon Moon

Comment

Working...
                                          X