Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like this Tom, the Bearcat and Tigercat are the same color stock, I have three coats of Spar Urethane on the Bearcat
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8895.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	74721Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9483.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	74722Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9566.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	74723
    Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Yes sir, that looks great!!!
      That's the way I want my F-7 to look. Hope I can do as good a job as you.
      Thanks a bunch for the info guys...
      Tom

Comment

• Use a soft brush or a foam brush. Go panel at a time, brush strokes width wise then in the direction of airflow. I use a hair dryer to get it set up quickly and watch out for runs I don't dilute it either). I usually leave it overnight before applying the final coat. The first one will look patchy, that's just the foam absorbing the paint. Second one will look pretty good, the third one will look even better. La Patrona has one coat of primer, two brushed one coats of silver grey, six sprayed on coats of Clear Pearlescent and two three brushed on coats of Spar Varathane, great results! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9678.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	74736

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• I have used both and prefer the Minwax because it is easier to sand. I used 7000 grit paper to sand and polish the final finish with Minwax, which I find hard to do with Spar Varathane. I guess it is a matter of preference.

Comment

• Yep, see I haven't sanded any of mine, never saw the need to, but if you do and you get a better result form Minwax, go for it. You're right it is a matter of preference. Sometimes it's a matter of whats sitting on my shelf as well:)

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• I gotta say Grossman56, your F-7 looks fantastic...
              Also, just curious, has anyone had any servo issues on this plane???
              I had a main gear servo go up in smoke on the second cycle of the gear. Motion sent me a new one out the day I called them, no questions asked... They seem to be a very customer friendly company, and is obvious reading these posts...
              Just a little concerned about the servo issue...

Comment

• One thing about us veterans, our values drive us to do all we can to make others lives a better place. Going the extra mile is the creed.

Comment

• Grossman56 Grossman56

You really have talent. I mess up every thing I try to paint or even apply stickers, and even Minwax. I generally have all the materials, but when it comes to application, I am just all thumbs. All I can do is admire others work and work. I have two Cats have yet to fly either. Still trying to heal from ulnar nerve surgery. I am hoping to get back in the air soon. Keep the pictures coming. I lean much from the discussion and the pics.

Comment

• Well, I couldn't find the products mentioned in the previous posts, but Lowes did have this... Water based, indoor/outdoor use, and UV protectant...
                    Here are some pics of the bottom side with 2 coats, going to put on 3 total using a foam brush as recommended by Grossman56...
                    Going to put 3 on prop also to preserve the decals...
                    Going on really easy and looks good to me so far, I like the shiny finish, some don't, to each his own... If we were all the same, it would be a pretty boring world...
                    Will post completed pics when done...
                    Thanks for the help with all the info you guys provide...
                    Happy flying...
                    Tom

Comment

• Forgot to mention, it only came in quart size for $17.00...
                      Guess I'm gonna have to buy more planes to use this stuff up :Cool:

Comment

• Heck, looks good to me!

Comment

• Looks good Tom, give her 24 hours to really harden up then get the final coat on her. You can also use a very soft bristle brush, like an oil painting brush, I have several so tried on of those on the Tiger cat, they work well too.

Looks great to me as well!!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Looking good Tom. The minwax spar you used is an excellent product. I have used it in many outdoor applications but as the product is fairly new i can't comment on long term. I do wood working for a living and have been useing it on alot of outdoor cedar siding. Sparys really nice and lays down nice with a brush also. Plan to start useing on my planes as well because the only way to get varathane in my area is off line. Home Depot is the only place ive found varathane locally but its the thick and for interior. Nice work though.:Cool:
                            Dewey l

Comment

• Here is the finished F-7 using the new Minwax Pro Series Spar Urethane. Looks good to me, we will see how she holds up this summer... Click image for larger version

Name:	20170510_221641_resized.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	75355Click image for larger version

Name:	20170511_083000_resized.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	75356Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_163218_resized.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	75357Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_163233_resized.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	75358
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Looks good Tom!
                                Aren't they a bird to be proud of ??

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Yes sir, they are... Military aircraft are my favorite, but the EDF Sport Jets with their speed and maneuverability are a blast to fly...
                                  Can't wait to fly the A-10, anticipating it as my all time favorite... We'll see...

Comment

• Grossman56

Grossman56

You really have talent. I mess up every thing I try to paint or even apply stickers, and even Minwax. I generally have all the materials, but when it comes to application, I am just all thumbs. All I can do is admire others work. I have two Cats have yet to fly either. Still trying to heal from ulnar nerve surgery. I am hoping to get back in the air soon. Keep the pictures coming. I lean much from the discussion and the pics.

Comment

• Thanks Pheonix!
                                      The healing will come, then you'll be back in the air, hang in there!
                                      Here's a slightly blurred, but nevertheless cool pic the wife got.
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9712.JPG Views:	1 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	75439
                                      And me walking her back after an early flight in which I landed with no flaps, this was while I was looking for the optimum flap elevator mix. She landed fine, but I was so focused on planting the nose that I accidentally hit the throttle forward instead of the elevator!!
                                      Immediately killed the throttle and pulled her over into the weeds to stop her rather than the sage brush at the end of the runway. A problem we're fixing at the field this morning during our annual field clean up Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9718.JPG Views:	1 Size:	34.8 KB ID:	75440Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9779.JPG Views:	1 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	75441
                                      So now that everything is working well and she's flying great, I'm keeping my eyes open for little things I can use for motor details. Came across some used manila tags that we were just going to throw out at work, the wires would be perfect for spark plug wires! So I scored some of them, things like that make for great detail and I get a kick out of finding things that 'look' right and adding them over prefabbing something, although I've done some of that as well, as in BBD's cockpit
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4411.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	75442Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4409.JPG Views:	1 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	75443
                                      the floor is made with tongue depressors and the throttle and flap controls are zip ties I bent into shape and painted the ends. Pilot got changed out as well. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4422.JPG Views:	1 Size:	136.9 KB ID:	75444 chopped the original pilot and glued the new bust to the old lower torso, worked great!

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• BTW, the gunsight was made from various pieces from a picture hanging kit

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                          She landed fine, but I was so focused on planting the nose that I accidentally hit the throttle forward instead of the elevator!!
                                          Grossman56
                                          Stop doing that !! LOL Practice what I recommended to ya the other day in the PM ;)
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X