Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Plastic_Aviator View Post
    Hey guys,

Quick question about the new Admiral 3600's. These new ones are square so from what I've read in previous posts, they wont fit. Has anyone figured out a way to fit them in the plane without too much surgery? If so, would you mind posting your workaround and maybe a pic or two?

Thanks
    Hey Aviator,

I got the new batch of 3600's also and ran in to the same problem. I did a little cutting and gluing to remedy the problem. I am at work this evening, been a long weekend of 12 hr night shifts. I will take a couple pictures when I get up tomorrow and post them.

Basically, I cut the front tab off flush with the canopy that holds it in place to the fuse. I then glued that tab into the slot that it normally sat in when the canopy is in place.
    I also removed a portion of foam below the cockpit, this will leave an open space at the bottom front of cockpit floor that can be covered with tape, I left it open, not that noticeable.

I then used a piece of Sullivan pushrod and outer pushrod housing to make a pin to hold in place. It is working out very well for me. Care must be taken to align the pushrod and housing for a good fit. I put it all together and trial fit the assembly before gluing in place.

I drew a sketch here to give you an idea what I am talking about, as you can tell, I'm not to busy at work this evening... It may not be exact to scale as I am drawing from memory. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Hope this helps...

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post

Hey Aviator,

I got the new batch of 3600's also and ran in to the same problem. I did a little cutting and gluing to remedy the problem. I am at work this evening, been a long weekend of 12 hr night shifts. I will take a couple pictures when I get up tomorrow and post them.

Basically, I cut the front tab off flush with the canopy that holds it in place to the fuse. I then glued that tab into the slot that it normally sat in when the canopy is in place.
      I also removed a portion of foam below the cockpit, this will leave an open space at the bottom front of cockpit floor that can be covered with tape, I left it open, not that noticeable.

I then used a piece of Sullivan pushrod and outer pushrod housing to make a pin to hold in place. It is working out very well for me. Care must be taken to align the pushrod and housing for a good fit. I put it all together and trial fit the assembly before gluing in place.

I drew a sketch here to give you an idea what I am talking about, as you can tell, I'm not to busy at work this evening... It may not be exact to scale as I am drawing from memory. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Hope this helps...

Tom
      Hi Aviator,

Here are some pics of my canopy, You can see I didn't cut much off the bottom of the cockpit area, and it does leave that area open that could be covered by tape. I did remove a bit of foam in front of that area, a couple notches on each side.
      On this one I was mistaken about using the pushrod outer housing for the pushrod pin to go into, that was the first one that is no longer with us... On this one I actually used the cap off a bottle of CA glue and cut it down to fit. It actually works better as the opening is wider and tapers down for a good snug fit.

Hope this helps...

Tom

Comment

• I am so envious of you guys that have flown your F-7. I have two and have not had the opportunity to fly either yet. I am still recovering from had surgery. As far as the Admiral 3600 go, I have both kinds and enough of one to just use these in one cat.For the other cat, I use Graphene 3700 70-140C and they fit very well. For the CG, I used the Xicoy digital machine and the CG is right on. This machine works very well for all models under 50lkg.
        Last edited by Pheonix; Jul 19, 2017, 12:38 AM. Reason: Sorry for the spelling guys. Still having issues with my hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
          I am so envious of you guys that have flown you F-7. I have two and have not had the opportunity to fly either yet. I am still recovering from had surgery. As far as the Admiral 3600 go, I have both kinds and enough one to just use these in one cat.For the other cat, I use Graphene 3700 70-140C and they fit very well. For the CG, I used the Xicoy digital machne and the CG is right on. This machine works very well for all models under 50lkg.
          Hi Pheonix,

Could you post some info on the product you use for setting the cg and where it can be purchased. I have never heard of it and am interested in something better than the Great Planes model I have now.

Thanks...
          Tom

Comment

Hi Pheonix,

Could you post some info on the product you use for setting the cg and where it can be purchased. I have never heard of it and am interested in something better than the Great Planes model I have now.

Thanks...
            Tom
            Google .......................................... http://www.chiefaircraft.com/xcy-cgcombo.html
            Amost $400.00 ...................... :Silly::Scared::saywha

Comment

• Hello xviper2 , for the first time I see that this exists ..in the model's world.....you expanded my knowledge...thanks alot.

Comment

• Originally posted by MesRcPilot View Post
                Hello xviper2 , for the first time I see that this exists ..in the model's world.....you expanded my knowledge...thanks alot.
                :Cool: Not something I'd buy for myself, but I can see this being attractive to a certain modelling clientele.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                  :Cool: Not something I'd buy for myself, but I can see this being attractive to a certain modelling clientele.
                  That's right, but it's good to know...

Comment

• I did not pay this much for my Xicoy machine. I just purchased the basic unit with out the angle measures at:http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...aft/xicoy.html. The basic unit is about $300.00. I think it is really worth the money as this machine takes the guess work out of balancing the plane. This one is also very good and costs less than $90.00 dollars: http://www.ezbalancer.com/id74.html. I have used both and of course I like the Xicoy better. EZ balancer.pdf

Comment

• I like the Xicoy and just purchased the basic unit at $299.00 dollars. The EZ balancer also is very good at a reasonable price of about $85 dollars. EZ balancer.pdf . http://www.ezbalancer.com/id74.html. Obviously, both are better than the GP machine.

Comment

I like the Xicoy and just purchased the basic unit at $299.00 dollars. The EZ balancer also is very good at a reasonable price of about $85 dollars. [ATTACH]n88135[/ATTACH] . http://www.ezbalancer.com/id74.html. Obviously, both are better than the GP machine.

+1 on the EZ Balance one of the guys picked up the big one ($229.99) and lets me use it for setting CG on my stuff. Awesome.

Mike
                        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• I like the Xicoy and just purchased the basic unit at $299.00 dollars. The EZ balancer also is very good at a reasonable price of about $85 dollars. . http://www.ezbalancer.com/id74.html. Obviously, both are better than the GP machine.

Comment

I like the Xicoy and just purchased the basic unit at $299.00 dollars. The EZ balancer also is very good at a reasonable price of about $85 dollars. [ATTACH]temp_13960_1500447735476_799[/ATTACH] . http://www.ezbalancer.com/id74.html. Obviously, both are better than the GP machine.
                            Yeah........we got it 3X ;)
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Yeah........we got it 3X ;)
                              Hehe! ......................... "Dumb thumbs" on the keyboard? LOL Even 3 times won't compel me to spend that kind of money when my fingers are free. :Don't-tell-Anyone: Now, if it'll make my plane go way faster, that's a different story. :Silly:

Comment

Hi Aviator,

Here are some pics of my canopy, You can see I didn't cut much off the bottom of the cockpit area, and it does leave that area open that could be covered by tape. I did remove a bit of foam in front of that area, a couple notches on each side.
                                On this one I was mistaken about using the pushrod outer housing for the pushrod pin to go into, that was the first one that is no longer with us... On this one I actually used the cap off a bottle of CA glue and cut it down to fit. It actually works better as the opening is wider and tapers down for a good snug fit.

Hope this helps...

Tom
                                Tom, Thanks a bunch for all your help. Definitely may need to do this.

Appreciate the time taken to do all that. :Cool:

Comment

• I find it interesting that everyone is having such a time with the new batteries. I fly mine with both old a new 3600 Admirals. First thing I did was to trim the bottom of the tongue off a bit to fit over the batteries. I fly the new battery on the bottom, but tried the new one in the upper position and it works no problem at all. Can't figure what the fuss is about........

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                    I find it interesting that everyone is having such a time with the new batteries. I fly mine with both old a new 3600 Admirals. First thing I did was to trim the bottom of the tongue off a bit to fit over the batteries. I fly the new battery on the bottom, but tried the new one in the upper position and it works no problem at all. Can't figure what the fuss is about........

Grossman56
                                    That is really odd that yours will fit. There must be a difference in your canopy or placement of top battery tray. On mine the only way I could get the canopy on was to remove the tongue altogether. Then I had to remove a portion of the foam under the cockpit to allow the canopy to set level without being humped up in the middle.
                                    I would like to see a picture of your placement of the top battery. Mine hangs over the rear of the battery tray maybe an inch to get cg.
                                    I was flying with old style battery on top and new style on bottom but I got 2 more batteries and had to do something if I wanted to fly more than twice without charging at the field.
                                    I brought this up with MRC and they said they realized the problem with the new batch of batteries and offered to let me return them and get a different battery. I didn't do that, I just modified it a bit to make them work instead of going thru the return thing. Thanks MRC for the option though.
                                    They also do not recommend that battery for the F-7 anymore on the overview page...
                                    The only thing I can imagine is your top tray must sit lower than mine...:Confused:
                                    Wish I would have taken a closer look at yours at NEFI...
                                    Last edited by TomPatton; Jul 20, 2017, 01:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Sure, here you go Tom
                                      here's the old battery Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1158.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	88526
                                      And here's the hatch over the old battery Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1159.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	88529
                                      Here's the new battery in position where I fly it Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1160.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	88527
                                      and here's the hatch closed over it Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1161.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	88531
                                      here's a good look at the hatch floor Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1162.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	88528Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1162.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	88532Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1163.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	88530
                                      Hope this helps, but yeah, all I did was trim the bottom of the tongue and she works great as you can see.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• That's the difference Gman..........they are talking about the black case 40C 3600's;)
                                        Those 40C's are short portly buggars. They would be better off running the new 40C 4000........mine fit perfect and 9 min times:Cool:
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                          That's the difference Gman..........they are talking about the black case 40C 3600's;)
                                          Those 40C's are short portly buggars. They would be better off running the new 40C 4000........mine fit perfect and 9 min times:Cool:
                                          OV10 is correct. Were having issues with the new Black 3600's. They arent rectangular like the Yellow series batteries.

Comment

Working...
                                          X