X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
    This Gal is very easy on batteries! I go with the 3600 PRO's but hey I have a ton of them and I'm down to two 4000's, which I prefer in the Tomahawk and the Bearcat, so its a matter of choice.

Grossman56
    That ton of Pro 3600's was in you're uninformed stage LOL before you learned that you don't need high C batts on prop planes.
    Spend $5 less and get 400mAh more capacity. ;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
      Looks great Dave, looks like he flap/elevator mix is spot on as well. I've found that if I deploy the gear and wait 'til they're down then deploy flaps really helped to keep her level as there is such a delay in gear deployment.

Good luck with her, she's a great flying plane!!

Grossman56
      Six more flight on her last night, I LOVE this plane! I like it more than the P-38.

My last two flights were with a 10 mph direct crosswind, the plane didn't care. I'm mad at myself for waiting so long to get this one in the air.

My landing technique so far is to cut the throttle to 50%, let her slow down a bit then drop the gear on the upwind leg. On downwind it's flaps 1 then flaps 2 before turning base leg and power to about 25%. On final power all the way off until she slows down then I add some back in to allow the plane to settle in.

Comment

• Originally posted by farmflyer View Post
        I am now the proud owner of one and am going to have to buy batteries for it. The question is what do I buy? I would rather not have to cut it up and would like to be able to fly around 6 minutes of mixed throttle with only a couple of short full throttle passes.
        I'm using a pair of Admiral 3600's in mine. No issues with the CG and I can fly at full throttle for 5 minutes. When I land the cells are between 3.8 and 3.85 volts. I would easily get another minute out of this, if I fly at mixed throttle I could do a bit longer.

Comment

• I forgot to mention, last night I flew six times. When I went to take the wings off one of the bolts was missing.:Scared:

Not sure how many flights it was missing but I'm glad I didn't loose a wing, the remaining bolt did it's job.

I'm also using crxmanpat's settings for the control throws, they are spot on for my style of flying.

Comment

• I got everything set up according to the manual but the down mix on the flap settings looks like too much down on the elevator. You guys that have flown this for a while what kind of mix are you using.

Comment

• 2mm down at half flaps, 4mm down at full. Works perfect.
              Pat

Comment

• Nothing on half flaps and 4 mm on full. Because of the delay on the gear when it extends, drop the gear first, once its down, drop the flaps. It's not a huge thing, but it looks more scale. Trial and error. Find a starting point and add to it. I had way too much at first so rolled everything back to no mix. I found that half flaps didn't need anything, and full needed a bit so I added some in, in small increments.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9780.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	101412

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                  2mm down at half flaps, 4mm down at full. Works perfect.
                  That's exactly what I had set up so I'll go with that to start with then change if necessary.

Comment

• Hi everyone. I'm a new member who has been flying this F7 Angel of a plane for about two months. Just love her! I wound up breaking off two nose gears right where the shaft exits the servo twice now when landing on the rough grass I have here at my house, but have not had any issues on the grass at our flying field. Since breaking the nose gear I decided to upgrade her with the 80mm nose gear strut off the A-10, which worked out pretty nicely since I now have nice big landing light on the nose gear now, which I wired into the left wings landing light. All you have to do is run some extra servo extensions to the left wing's electrical connection and you will find a spare spot next to where the wings landing light is plugged in. Doing this allows the landing gears landing light to come on only whenever the gear is lowered, using the same circuit that turns the wing landing light on.

You will have to carve out a little off the nose gear doors to accept the landing light and a little foam at the rear firewall of the nose bay. I also swapped out the A10 wheel for the original F7 nose wheeel with no problem so it maintains the original look. This mod makes flying at dusk a little easier, which at this time of year is an often occurrence.

Comment

• Originally posted by WildBillG View Post
                      Hi everyone. I'm a new member who has been flying this F7 Angel of a plane for about two months. Just love her! I wound up breaking off two nose gears right where the shaft exits the servo twice now when landing on the rough grass I have here at my house, but have not had any issues on the grass at our flying field. Since breaking the nose gear I decided to upgrade her with the 80mm nose gear strut off the A-10, which worked out pretty nicely since I now have nice big landing light on the nose gear now, which I wired into the left wings landing light. All you have to do is run some extra servo extensions to the left wing's electrical connection and you will find a spare spot next to where the wings landing light is plugged in. Doing this allows the landing gears landing light to come on only whenever the gear is lowered, using the same circuit that turns the wing landing light on.

You will have to carve out a little off the nose gear doors to accept the landing light and a little foam at the rear firewall of the nose bay. I also swapped out the A10 wheel for the original F7 nose wheeel with no problem so it maintains the original look. This mod makes flying at dusk a little easier, which at this time of year is an often occurrence.
                      Welcome to Hobby Squawk WildBill, the Flightline 1600mm Spitfire main struts are a perfect fit on the F7F.
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thanks TiredIron, I keep that in mind, especially since I have a spare 1600mm Spit wing with gear from a broken Spit Fuse. Which BTW is pretty weak in several spots, which a few well placed carbon rods would resolve.

Comment

• You wouldn't happen to be from Newport News would you? If so just wanna say hello and miss flying with you guys!

Comment

• Hey Wild Bill, welcome from me as well, great info on the nose gear, thanks. Also to TI, that's good news and something I haven't looked into yet, although I'm considering upgrading the gear on La Patrona.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by farmflyer View Post
                              I am now the proud owner of one and am going to have to buy batteries for it. The question is what do I buy? I would rather not have to cut it up and would like to be able to fly around 6 minutes of mixed throttle with only a couple of short full throttle passes.
                              I use (2) Gforce Elite 4000 batteries stuffed onto the rear tray. It flies great! After the last five minute flight, batteries had 54% remaining.

Comment

• Is anyone using 4500 mah batteries with good results? or are they not worth it?

Comment

• I use a pair of Turnigy Graphene 4000s, and that's pushing it, but they're heavy batteries. Depends on the brand and C rating, but you could probably use 4500s if they are light.
                                  Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Regatoni5 View Post
                                    Is anyone using 4500 mah batteries with good results? or are they not worth it?
                                    Bigger gas tank, I'd weigh the extra flight time versus the extra weight.
                                    CB and I have some ideas for power mods, will let you know how it works out in the Spring;)

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• I have a pair of TP 3850's that go in the top and bottom and a pair of Pulse 4100 35c's that I piggy back in the lower tray. The 4100's are listed at 436 grams. They do shift the CG to the tail heavy side but the plane doesn't seem to care.

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this thread, but not the Squawk. I have the FL P-38 in silver which I love! From what I've read here, The TC flies even better!
                                        I just received the Big beautiful Bird today ( early Christmas present )
                                        My question is; has anyone changed the xt-60 connectors to the T connector on the ESC's or did I miss something in the posts?
                                        This would make it easier for me to use the same battries as the P-38.

Comment

• The TC comes with T-connectors already, not XT60s. Same as the P-38.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X