X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oldschoolflyer View Post
    Thanks to all for there responses and support. I used the following for balancing the CG for my F7F Tigercat: An EZ lite balancer by Don's, the recommended CG measurement of 73mm (2-7/8") from the leading edge as indicated in the assembly manual. Both of my Admiral 4s 3000 batteries are touching the forward portion of the battery bay. Not sure what I missed , but I am going to recheck all of my measurements again. I will post my findings, Any and all input is welcome.
    I now see your issue clearly and this is what you missed.........
    As I indicated on post #1010 that there is plenty of room in each tray area to move the battery(s) around so move them in the tray(s) aft as required to get the CG.
    Just don't place them all the way forward in each tray and then resort to using an ounce and half(42G) of lead in the tail to achieve the recommended CG range as you have done. That is just :Silly:
    Setting CG is all about shifting required weight (batts, receiver, gyro, etc) around in order to minimize adding useless bloat to the airframe's AUW.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by rekit500 View Post
      I just got my Tigercat and the motor wires in the wings, by the gear are XT60's but the Admiral 4000 4S they sent me are Deans (T)'s. Anyone else seeing this?
      rekit,

If you aren't into clipping off the connectors and replacing them with something of your choice you can use an adapter.
      Look here first: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...o-esc-adapters

If you don't find what you need at MRC you can look here: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/chargers...-adapters.html

If you need any more help let me know,
      BB

Comment

• Originally posted by oldschoolflyer View Post
        Thanks for the response. I am using 4S 3000 mAh batteries and I had to use 42G of weight on the tail to get the CG correct.
        You must be doing something wrong , Im using 4s 3600mah and no tail weight

Comment

• Originally posted by rekit500 View Post
          I just got my Tigercat and the motor wires in the wings, by the gear are XT60's but the Admiral 4000 4S they sent me are Deans (T)'s. Anyone else seeing this?
          I soldered deans on mine , more better and work better then XT60s

Comment

• A nice review of the Tigercat from the FliteTest guys.

Check out the historic, scale goodness and flight of the F7F-3 Tigercat by Motion RC!Check out the F7F Tigercat here: https://goo.gl/Y7KqeNConsidering suppor...

Comment

• Thanks dkalwishky , really useful review and most thanks to the use of the drone on-board cam, we can see the behavior of the model in the air, from the close range :Cool:

Comment

• I know this is very late in the game but my port (left) side motor has developed the same loud - loose front bearing. Maiden flight was in late April. Going to try and replace both bearings in both motors. The starboard motor is starting to get rough as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwdawson5 View Post
                  I know this is very late in the game but my port (left) side motor has developed the same loud - loose front bearing. Maiden flight was in late April. Going to try and replace both bearings in both motors. The starboard motor is starting to get rough as well.
                  That's disappointing and a bit odd. One main reason for bearing failure in motors is an imbalance in the prop assembly. Did you weigh each blade before installing and did you balance the central hub assembly (back plate, spinner cone, etc.) before the blades went on? Then do a final balance check of the whole assembly? Also, the motor mount screws checked and re-tightened after a few flights as they can back out a bit, thereby aggravating any imbalance there could be.

Comment

• Here's a treat!
                    Check out a YouTube video called "F7F-3P Tigercat 'Here Kitty,Kitty! flight 2017"
                    Pure and perfectly recorded Pratt and Whitney tunage with no wind noise or music!
                    Oh ya, and turn it waaayyy up!

Comment

• Saaaweet :)
                      Brandon Moon

Comment

• I am using the MRC 3600, 50C and it balances very well. I did pick up some Graphene 3700 70-140C for the cats. There is a difference in weight between the two The 3700 weigh is 453g verses 388 for the 3600, 50C batteries. I still did not have to add an weight. I pushed the aft battery forward as far as possible. Using a Xicoy balancing machine, I got the CG as recommended. The Xicoy is a great investment when considering the cost of some of the planes. The Xicoy is very precise when data pints are entered correctly.

Comment

• How is the Lemon working out? I am thinking about some of these. I did the same thing for my receivers. I built a tray for the gyro and receiver over #2 battery position. I am using a Futaba 8-channel and do not have to worry about the satellite receiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
                            How is the Lemon working out? I am thinking about some of these. I did the same thing for my receivers. I built a tray for the gyro and receiver over #2 battery position. I am using a Futaba 8-channel and do not have to worry about the satellite receiver.
                            Lemons are Spektrum compatible. I don't think they'll work with Futaba unless you have some sort of module and I don't know if you can even get such a module.

Comment

• Hi guys (N girls), am in the process of rebuilding the Cat after a not so nice "landing" and decided to "dirty" it up a bit with some exhaust stains - like a line aircraft might have had during the Korean War... Just waiting for some additional markings from our friend Callie.

Comment

• To my friends at MOTION RC:
                                PLEASE CONSIDER FOR A FUTURE OFFERING EITHER THE A-26K OR THE P-61 IN THE SAME SIZE AS THE F7F.
                                THANKS!

Comment

• Lemons are awesome, I have a 10 channel in mine as well as the Avanti, they're flawless. As Ryan described the F7F, it's like a high wing trainer, just a big ***** cat. I love mine!!

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Looks great Oldalper, welcome to the Squawk !!

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• I finally maidened mine this morning, it flew well. I was surprised a little, not that it pitched up a little when I retracted the gear, but that I haven't seen that mentioned on the various sites. The dilema I think is going to be the delay built somehow into the retracts when I mix elevator to gear (assuming I can on Futaba 7C). Also the flight time was barely 5 minutes. I have only used the hi power motors. Admiral 4000's. Probably 60% mid throttle 40% full at most. Had 15.4 in both at landing. Balanced at 73mm. Flew like it was balanced well with the gear down, which is how I balanced it. Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F mine2.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	84625

Comment

• Hi Rekit500, The High Performance setup (both the intended motor and intended 2B prop) consumes more, so 5 minutes sounds about right to 3.85. My HP setup in one of my Tigercats averages 6 minutes to 3.74 unloaded with my kind of mixed throttle.

Regarding pitching up when the gear is retracted, others can weigh in here with their own experience, but my Tigercats don't do that. It seems peculiar that it noses up when the gear is going up (which is to say that they're moving forward... which if anything would shift the weight toward the nose and cause the model to nose down, not up as you've observed).

Would you mind posting a photo of where you're measuring your 73mm? Just to double-check and compare with what others have been flying here.

Happy Fourth!
                                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I haven't noticed any nose up pitching on gear retraction of the three different FLRC Tigercats I've flown. All are stock setup.

Comment

Working...
                                          X