Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've seen you in shorts and tshirt - I'm not jealous. ;):)

Comment

• G'day Shirty,
      Waddaya mean... I have a great pair of legs!;)
      Just finished replacing the jackscrew and tee bar in the retract of Shangri La. After 250 cycles plus a cycle each time I go to fly it, plus testing, plus just looking at how good it works, it has a heap of cycles.
      The tee bar was gritty in its action and was showing signs of wear and tear. It was just on one hour to replace the motor / shaft combination and test it. The tee bar was not stripped as such but it was worn. The other side was not too bad and I did not replace it but it will only be half the time next time as I now know how it all happens.
      I think the reason for both seemingly failing at the same time was the overload draw shutting the system down.
      All good now, looking forward to the weekend with good weather, with a few showers predicted. Really nice here right now.
      Regards and respect
      Daryl

Comment

• Well I'm jealous 'cause I've seen ME in a pair of shorts! Best wear your sun glasses, my legs are so white they're transparent !LOL
        Besides, that's CB's realm !:Cool:
        I struggled a bit with landings and it was kind of hit and miss until the guys pointed out the use of throttle to control descent while keeping the fuse level. That really drove it home for me. Took a 2300 mile trip, but it was well worth it!

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Should we start calling you "snowy" grossman? ;)(One of my best mates has very white skin, couldn't get a tan if he lived on the beach. Snow has been his nickname for over 20 years)

Looks like it's going to be a pearler out my way Daryl, no wind, blue skies. I'm charging batts like crazy for the weekend lol :)

Comment

• Enjoy it guys!
            The next season is a long one;)

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Well, at the field now and only one flight with the mustang. Did my preflight everything's ok, ran the retracts a few times as I always do - and wouldn't you know it - one retract wouldn't come down and one of the flap servos stopped working after it deployed on the first flight. Bit of a hairy landing but only damage was ripping the fuel tanks off. Wish they would sort out these retracts, this has gotta be like my 7th or 8th set failing on a mustang over the years. Some days you just can't win. :-S

Comment

• G'day Shirty,
                That is pay pack for slinging off about my legs;)
                I had a gear failure last Sunday and pulled them apart yesterday and I found the whole left mechanism was full of crud and more junk. I was surprised as I do look after my gear as you do.
                I cleaned every thing and reassembled and then tested out of the airframe and all worked. Put it back in and ..... you guessed it, it failed.
                As I had a few spare circuit boards and motors, I replaced the guts and tested out of the airframe and all was good and .... the bloody thing failed as soon as I screwed it back into place.
                I then loosened the 'back' screw off a tad of a tenthteenth and all worked beautifully again and ten cycles had me giving it the OK for flight.
                I stripped the original unit down and discovered that the tee bar was almost worn completely out and some of the thread was actually starting to come away inside. And lack of lubrication can not be blamed. I think it is a case of two different types of metals coming together and doing nasties to each other as can happen.
                This, in turn, was causing a great amount of drag, along with the dirt and stuff, and played havoc with the jack screw and tee bar. The overload protection then played its part by shutting everything down and I may well have screwed everything too tight.
                The big test will come tomorrow.
                I was also lucky that my gear failed in the down position.
                I hope you are getting good flying weather. I have not looked at the forecast just yet but if tomorrow is as good as today, I will be happy.
                Johnathan is hogging the TV of late watching either Peter Rabbit or Madagascar. It is funny when he tries to vocalise the next part that it coming. Then it is time to hit the computer and the call of 'planes daddy' so your videos get a good watching. He does not move while the planes are in the air and I soon get the call of 'fix daddy' when the videos are finished.
                He also grabs the old TX and flies the planes on the screen. I will have to get the sim up and running. He will be twenty eight months old on Thursday and already know his planes.
                I am proud of him. He learns so fast.
                Anyway, enough bragging about my boy and aveagoodweekend!
                Regards and respect
                Daryl

Comment

• Lol mate. You too. ;)

Comment

• G'day gang,
                    After 250 plus flights, I managed to smear Shangri La all over the runway after what seems to be on face value a receiver burn out.
                    I will wait until tomorrow the examine the wreckage fully but I think the bulk of the airframe will be in the garbage can by this time tomorrow,
                    I was doing a full throttle low pass along the runway when she just dived into the deck. As I was only five feet or so off the grass, I did not have much time to think about what had just happened or why.
                    Still, she bounced back into the air and was heading towards the BBQ area with a number of my fellow club members sitting under it. At this point I tried to crash her fully but there was no response to the controls. With the prop smashed to pieces, there was no power but the model still glided for sixty metres or so before finally missing everyone and coming to a halt.
                    She had hit so hard that the entire plan form of the model was left on the grass, along with a big hole.
                    Most of the fuselage is compressed and twisted and the wings have major compression damage as well.
                    I am trying to replay the incident in my mind and think the fail safe has kicked in but the throttle did not have time to react to the loss of signal.
                    My fail safe is set to dive and pull the throttle back. I now think it worked as set.
                    The very scary thing is that as she headed towards the BBQ area, many of my fellow club members would not have been able to get out of the way as they are not young men. The all joked that they were 'watching' but they all knew what was unfolding.
                    I could not believe how much energy was left after the heavy ground contact and just how far she went after the hit.
                    Two of the prop blades were found on the runway and the other two were found thirty metres away down the taxiway. Past the pilots box. I am so grateful that no one was hit by the model or the bits and pieces flying off her.
                    After not crashing a model for five years, it was sacrifice to the gravity Gods.
                    Regards and respect
                    Daryl

Comment

• :(

Comment

• Remember what happened to the Full size Shangrila?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	shangri-la-2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	127650Click image for larger version

Name:	7874b9429cb91aef0c995a473c553fe7.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	127651Click image for larger version

Name:	20160304195954.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	127652Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1).jpg
Views:	269
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	127653Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	127654

So don't feel too bad, happens to the best, just ask Don. He was doing a low altitude high speed pass over the runway, low altitude became no altitude!!

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• My condolences Daryl.:(

Comment

• G'day Grossman,
                            Looks very much the same LOL
                            And thanks boomer. It is shame to wreck a well flown and nicely flying model but these things happen and it has been five years since I pranged one.
                            And thanks to all the others as well.
                            On the bright side, if that were to be the worst thing to happen to me, I would happily live with that.:Cool:
                            There will not be a replacement at the moment as our dollar is a bit low and makes the FMS unit a bit pricey and I do want to get my 134" Lancaster under way as well and that will suck up some dollars. Mind you, I have two other Mustangs, a Zero, 2 x Corsairs, 2 x T-28's, 1 x Bf109, 1 x FW190, a FW Mossie and a FW B-17 and a FMS Lightning. So it is not like I have nothing else to fly.;)
                            There is never to be any crying over spilled milk.
                            Yes, it was a shame to crash it but the end of the world it is not.:)
                            Regards and respect
                            Daryl

Comment

• And at least you don't have Col Blakeslee trying to kick you out of the unit now that you pranged the plane. Gentile was forced to do a war bonds tour after that mess.
                              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Looks like I will have to get a new motor mount for my P-51 Red Tail. The one on the 540 doesn't fit the KV650 Motor. Anyone happen to know which mount to get?

Comment

• This is the motor mount....
                                  At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

And this is the prop shaft you'll want as well.....
                                  https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...ropeller-shaft.

This motor mount fits in perfectly and the prop shaft eliminates the gap between the spinner and the fuse.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                    This is the motor mount....
                                    At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

This motor mount fits in perfectly and the prop shaft eliminates the gap between the spinner and the fuse.

Grossman56
                                    Thanks Grossman, I have the prop shaft, didn't have the mount. Guess I will order it, and of course have to order something else to make the shipping worth it. LOL

Comment

• Some of the kits came with bad gear from the start. Mine was one. The replacement has been strong.

If you put in the P-40 motor/mount and Beaver prop adapter, you will not need any mods to fly scale or sport.
                                      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• I've had it since 2016 flying on the stock motor. My first tail gear was bad out of the box. Called Horizon for replacement. Everything I have gotten since then has been from Motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                          This is the motor mount....

Grossman56
                                          Thanks again Grossman. the mount came yesterday and I spent about 2 hours with the soldering, bolting, blue locktite and getting it ready. Why is it that whenever you connect a brushless motor, you NEVER get the connections right the first time. You always have to swap two LOL

After got it going in the right direction, I fired it up and I could almost hover it in my garage. Can't wait to fly it this weekend with John.

Comment

Working...
                                          X