Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I spent 20 minutes on the phone with Horizon this evening. made him look at their pictures and then pull up the updated picture on AliExpress. Also for warn him that these new retracts require a little bit of foam surgery which is no big deal.
    unfortunately for me given that I'm going to use my aluminum side plates this retract is basically worthless.. don't get me wrong it's a perfectly good unit. I am not just going to give up on my expensive side plate and trunnion kit though

Comment

• Originally posted by putput View Post
      I spent 20 minutes on the phone with Horizon this evening. made him look at their pictures and then pull up the updated picture on AliExpress. Also for warn him that these new retracts require a little bit of foam surgery which is no big deal.
      unfortunately for me given that I'm going to use my aluminum side plates this retract is basically worthless.. don't get me wrong it's a perfectly good unit. I am not just going to give up on my expensive side plate and trunnion kit though
      So I'm guessing your etract with the alum side mod had the circuit card go bad.
      Here's a fix that allows the use of the etract without an internal card.
      https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-metal-upgrade)
      The article is about the 1700 FMS etract but I've done it on the 1400 etract also. I was a contributor to the article back in Jan 2016.
      Quite a few of the links have gone outdated so here is one of the controllers that I have used.;)
      RC from BananaHobby.com. Shop our selection of RC Airplane Parts to find your including the Radio Controlled and other quality BlitzRCWorks 8 CH Green Super P 40E Warhawk RC Warbird Airplane Parts

Hope this helps.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Yes, broke a micro switch when I snapped trunion on hard landing. Out the CNC trunions in and lasted a few days lol. Then the switch have up.
        i just ordered a couple of the jp controllers, one for these and another as a spare for when my p40 retracts lose a switch lol.

Comment

• so here's some more pictures to show you the internal differences between the original retracts and the newest model from FMS.
          Attached Files

Comment

• I actually like the straight slider design. :Cool:
            The motor/worm drive looks like the one from the RE003 "old" style being replaced without the plastic housing encasing the motor/gearbox. (pic 3 is a good compare);)
            As I mentioned earlier in post#1060, it looks like FMS is designing similar to the newer FW retracts (ie..... like on the A-10 & Spitty)
            Thanx for the additional pics putput:)
            How does the new trunnion look regarding casting.:Thinking:

And lastly, what's the "new style" cost

EDIT........never mind the cost inquiry...........found it on the FMS website @ $23.99 ($9 more than the similar FW style) $6 cheaper than old RE003 style
            The new part number is.......... RE042 (FMS shows a pic of the foam surgery required)
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• The trunion looks decent, but the legs are longer to accommodate it. Unfortunately ipaid full retail to Horizon of 37.99 because they got them back in before motion at 29.99.. they're both still listing them as re003. Both are still showing the original pictures as well.
              Again again I think it's a perfectly good retract and will will work just just fine as an or replacement

Comment

• Originally posted by putput View Post
                The trunion looks decent, but the legs are longer to accommodate it. Unfortunately ipaid full retail to Horizon of 37.99 because they got them back in before motion at 29.99.. they're both still listing them as re003. Both are still showing the original pictures as well.
                Again again I think it's a perfectly good retract and will will work just just fine as an or replacement
                You sure Motion has the new RE042?? They are usually right on top of document changes when they receive upgraded or new hardware. WHITE CORTESY PHONE FOR AROS PLEASE
                Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Honestly not completely sure. The package I received still says re003 right from FMS.
                  I haven't called motion to have them check their stock and part numbers. When I talk to Horizon all are there current stock is re003 on the package. It appears FMS made a rolling change as of March. All they are releasing now is the new units.
                  At this point I'm going to keep the retract lesson learned... I am now waiting on a retract controller as as the only failure in the original is with the board

Comment

• Well, I am disappointed.. Apparently Visual aids, leads to the correct information and concern about the rest of the customers getting a product that they know what they are getting is not in the best interest....

Response from Horizon:
                    Hello Michael,

So I was able to verify with someone regarding this part. The retract is the same as what you see on the picture on our website. We were not able to find a difference from your pictures you sent us. If the retract will not work out for you, pleas contact our customer service department so we can further assist you. Thank you for your recent contact with Horizon Hobby.

Now we have all seen the pictures I put up, and sent to them, along with leading the person on the phone to Ali- who already had the updated pics and information while I was on the phone, walking them to the website...So below is my response. Maybe I should have been a little nicer, but it irk's me that they are blowing me off, when I told them I want nothing other than for them to get the updated information on their site for the rest of people..... I did ask if they were able to get an original unit to exchange it on the phone, but if that was not possible, no problem...

1st let me reitterate that at no time have I been trying to get anything for free, I purchased the part, disassembled the part and own the part.. that is not in question, so there is no reason for me to contact your customer service dept.
                    Next, I also started that the part will work as an o.e. replacement just fine with a little foam cutting. That also has never been in question.
                    Not being able to see a difference however is a complete farse. You can look up the retract by application on FMS website.... Right there they discuss the change....
                    The entire purpose of this had been to try and get you the correct information to provide to your customers.. apparently this is of no value.. anybody ordering these with the intention of repairing an o.e. Retract will be out of luck.

Maybe I sound a little bitchy, sorry for that. Just rubs me the wrong way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flying Squirrel View Post
                      OK << JUST GOT MY FMS 1450mm P-51's V8, ? zip tie mods, will you be able to see an increase in speed once it its donnan are there anymore mods available ???
                      Do NOT zip tie the 540 or the 580 motors!!! It over taxes them and they will over a short period of time, fail in flight (ask my how I know). The BEST mod so far is put the 650 motor (like what's in the P-40 and the V4 T-28), along with a 70amp ESC or bigger. I use that set up in both my P-51D and my Corsair and it's perfect. Look on MotionRC's site for the FMS Predator 650 motor. Best investment you can make for your plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonbeam View Post

Do NOT zip tie the 540 or the 580 motors!!! It over taxes them and they will over a short period of time, fail in flight (ask my how I know). The BEST mod so far is put the 650 motor (like what's in the P-40 and the V4 T-28), along with a 70amp ESC or bigger. I use that set up in both my P-51D and my Corsair and it's perfect. Look on MotionRC's site for the FMS Predator 650 motor. Best investment you can make for your plane.
                        Actually, if you're going to change the ESC anyway, an even better investment would be to put in the drive system from the FMS P-47D Razorback 1500mm and a slightly even bigger ESC. That'll give you 6 cell performance and a few hundred more RPM on the top end. I've had mine flying this way all of last fall and all of this season and the thing is markedly faster and significantly quicker. Forget the zip tie mod. It was a reasonable mod in its day but there are better options today.

Comment

• I love the 6s system in the P-40 so, it would seem that it would be a good mod for the P-51's as well.
                          Meanwhile, have both my Mustangs running the 650kv with the zip tie mod, which has not given me any problems, mind you, it would depend on how thick a zip tie you use, mine are very thin (85A Mantis ESC btw). It helps to make up for the thin air at 5000 feet, which is where Cody sits. You notice it when you first move here, but you get used to it.
                          How does the spinner hold up with the Mustang? I run my P-40 with the stock spinner and it seems fine, but Charlie swapped his out as he had problems with it.
                          If you have the cash to invest in some 4500 6s batteries, the 6s system is a great way to go. If you have a ton of 4s batteries, the 650 is a pretty good alternative as well. All depends on what you're looking for. The P-40 flies very scale with the 6s system in that it can do some pretty fat loops and the vertical is extremely impressive. For flat out, blow your mind performance, I've found the most impressive airplane/ motor combination (so far) to be the 650kv in a 1200mm Bearcat with the 1400mm FMS Corsair prop.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                            I love the 6s system in the P-40 so, it would seem that it would be a good mod for the P-51's as well.
                            Meanwhile, have both my Mustangs running the 650kv with the zip tie mod, which has not given me any problems, mind you, it would depend on how thick a zip tie you use, mine are very thin (85A Mantis ESC btw). It helps to make up for the thin air at 5000 feet, which is where Cody sits. You notice it when you first move here, but you get used to it.
                            How does the spinner hold up with the Mustang? I run my P-40 with the stock spinner and it seems fine, but Charlie swapped his out as he had problems with it.
                            If you have the cash to invest in some 4500 6s batteries, the 6s system is a great way to go. If you have a ton of 4s batteries, the 650 is a pretty good alternative as well. All depends on what you're looking for. The P-40 flies very scale with the 6s system in that it can do some pretty fat loops and the vertical is extremely impressive. For flat out, blow your mind performance, I've found the most impressive airplane/ motor combination (so far) to be the 650kv in a 1200mm Bearcat with the 1400mm FMS Corsair prop.

Grossman56
                            I don't believe it's the zip tie mod as such that is the problem with the higher kv motors. The recipe calls for something no more than 1mm thick. The greatest issue with this type of prop/hub is that some people will screw those blades one with gorilla strength. I did that on my first attempt and I could see the zip tip compress and actually shear a couple of those thin plastic border ridges. Now, that's too tight and also it's too tight for the plastic hub the blades go on. Those things have been known to crack under strain and explode. The final thing is that not everyone balances the hub piece. Add in more kv and the forces exerted on that plastic multiplies. I even use the stock prop on mine as it's the same pitch and size as on the P-47. So far, so good. A straight, level pass at full throttle is stunning for a relatively large airplane.
                            I use 4000mah, 6s bats with mine but then, I have several planes that use that size.

Comment

• I agree with you there. Now there was an aluminum prop hub from Custom RC Parts, but it looks like its not available any more, which is too bad. I like the system they used for reinforcing the Spitfire prop, too bad something like that isn't available for the Mustangs. Might be something for Smallparts CNC to look into...

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Totally agree there, that would be a great thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                  I agree with you there. Now there was an aluminum prop hub from Custom RC Parts, but it looks like its not available any more, which is too bad. I like the system they used for reinforcing the Spitfire prop, too bad something like that isn't available for the Mustangs. Might be something for Smallparts CNC to look into...

Grossman56
                                  Dan........Appears that Customs RC Parts is most likely permanently closed based on the dates below. They presently have no products listed on their web page.

Temporary Closure

Temporary Closure

A family emergency and a recent equipment breakdown is forcing me to close Custom RC Parts for about a month while I get things back in order.
                                  After I get back in town and get the mill fixed I will start on the FMS Spinner Bases.
                                  I appologize for the inconvenience.

Gary

And regarding Small Parts CNC, I had some very lengthy email discussions with Terry during Sept of 2017 regarding a version of that back plate from his shop at a more affordable price.
                                  He knew of Customs effort and elected not to step on his toes due to their friendly business relationship.
                                  He however was interested in looking at the cross brace used on the Flight Line 1600 Spitty and using that idea for the FMS 1400 Mustang as well as on the FL P-38.
                                  I think I will go ring his door bell again and see if maybe there is a possibility for him to reconsider in light of what appears to have happened with Custom and if he made any progress on the cross brace.;)
                                  Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Sounds like a good idea! If he knows the guy, he could check to see what's up and if the path is clear, it'd be a great product.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Really cool video

Comment

• Very cool indeed

Comment

• Great video! Man do we live in an awesome age, where you can actually feel and see what it was like to fly a P-51 in formation! I found myself appreciating how much they gained with the bubble canopy versus the birdcage.
                                          Getting a ride in a P-51 is on my bucket list, but not likely to happen, still I can dream and be envious of those who DO get the chance!!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X