Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to hear Gman but thanks for the tip I have A-3 gyro's in all mine to but never thought to check the tape in fact your the one that gave me the idea to use the heavy duty tape. I don't like flying my P-51B Dallas Darling it's irreplaceable.

Comment

• :(:(:(:( Sorry!!

Comment

• Sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing though. That is one of those things that is easily overlooked.

Comment

• Sorry Grossman, that was a gorgeous bird.

Comment

• Thanks guys, its one of those things, I really can't complain as I have literally hundreds of flights on her. In hindsight, I could have hit the gyro switch and disengaged her, but in the moment, it was all I could do to wrestle with her while trying to get the gear down.
            A Flightline P-51B would be awesome though...

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• new to HS I like all the buzz about the 460KV and 550KV on 6s....don't own this model yet trying to decide between this one and the 1.5meter 47 any thoughts?

Comment

• hi HH, the FMS P51 is an older design than the P47. Most of us have upgraded the motor in the 51's to at least the 580kv if not the 650kv which is the stock setup in the FMS P40B. You can also go to 6s power and use the P47's stock system. I have the 6s system in my P40 and its great, very scale, some of the guys have the 6s in their Stangs, CB went with a bigger prop and a 4s system on his P-47, it rocks as well.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Sorry to hear this Gman my son lost his 1400 mm Gunfighter a little over a week ago. We probably won’t see these made again so I guess it’s just time to move on to something different.

Comment

• AAAHHRIGHT!!!!

Nothing says challenging like rebuilding a crashed bird, I've done it before...…
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4046.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	189873

And I can do it again!!

Assessing the damage, I found that there isn't a whole lot of damage, other than the split fuse...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4309.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	189874

and believe it or not, it was a clean break. The nose came through with some compression wrinkles and some splits along the factory glue line, no big deal...…

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4315.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	189875

The wings sustained some damage on the starboard side but the port wing came through in good shape....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4308.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.6 KB ID:	189876Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4310.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	189877Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4312.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	189878Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4313.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.8 KB ID:	189879

So, all in all, she could very well see the air again :Cool::Cool::Cool:
                    I may have to order some graphics from Callie to match up the nose art that will have to be removed, but short of a few new parts and a lot of Foam-Tac, some body putty and some sanding and painting, she should be good. I'll run all the servos through the tester to ensure there's nothing wrong there and I'll replace the retracts if needed. Note: the Small Parts CNC retract sides lived up to their reputation!!
                    The motor came through fine, a little adjusting on the motor mount and she should be good..:):):)

Stand by for the resurrection.....right at Easter time, go figure!!!!

Grossman56

Team Gross!

Comment

• You know what the hardest thing to find will be??
                      The canopy..
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4318.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	189881 So if anyone has one laying around, let me know if you want to sell it.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Amen to that Dan!!! I love the P-51B!!!! Go for it!!!!!! :Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:

Comment

• With your talent and skill she will be as good as new.

Comment

• I think you could change her personality with a Malcolm canopy. Start with a Spitfire canopy mated to a p-51 windscreen. :Thinking:

Comment

• Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                              I think you could change her personality with a Malcolm canopy. Start with a Spitfire canopy mated to a p-51 windscreen. :Thinking:
                              :Cool:................;)
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I was thinking of that, but stumbled on a complete B hatch for $22. Had to lower myself to buy it from HH, but what can you do...

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Update on Shangrila, fuselage and wing repair started and filling on the nose started. The Fuselage is now one piece again and the wing crack is, at present drying while in traction.
                                  There is a convenient slot on either side of the fuse that I took full advantage of by running a square piece of balsa through, helping to connect both sides, this combined with liberal amounts of Foam-Tac produced an almost perfect remate.
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4321.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	190829Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4322.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	190830
                                  Also, what is handy, for all you Denny's burger fans, is to keep the skewer sticks, they can be run into one piece and through to the other, which really helps to hold the piece together, afterwards, you have the option of either removing them or sawing the end off flush and leaving them in.

So, we went from this
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4309.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	190831
                                  To this
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4323.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	190832
                                  The wings had a major crack on the port side, if you recall, so I utilized Velcro straps that I picked up from Wallyworld. These are so much better than trying to use elastic bands as they come in a roll and you simply break them off at whatever length you need. Being Velcro, you can tighten them up to whatever tension you want, no more trying to find the proper elastic band size.
                                  So, we went from this...
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4313.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	190833

To this...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4324.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	190834Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4332.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.2 KB ID:	190836Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4325.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	190835
                                  So now I'm at the stage where I can sit back and let her dry for a day and start some more body work. Right now the nose is ready for a light coat of paint to see where it may need some more sanding, but it feels pretty good. The only thing that hasn't arrived yet is the new battery hatch which is the only piece I've replaced, not counting the 10 channel Lemon receiver that I'm swapping out so I can have the gyro gain on the roller knob. As for the gyro, its getting glued in this time, but I plan to fly without it if the winds are down. So far so good

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Wow... Awesome job so far Grossman! :Cool:

Comment

• Should have thrown in this poster, says it all!

Name:	We_Can_Do_It!.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	190841

BTW, I renamed the basement/hangar
                                      Top Fun:)

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Flaps are on!
                                        Came up with a way to center them onto the wing, it's undoubtedly not a new method, but its a great method...

Name:	IMG_4338.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	190916

popsicle sticks under and over the wing and I also made good use of the stir sticks you get with every can of paint, worked great!

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Seeing these pics reminds me of the rebuild on my Tcat. Your P51 is looking good waiting to see the renewed P51 in one piece again.

Comment

Working...
                                          X