Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well the weather is not at ideal right now. Snow is on the way. CRAZY!!!
    Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

Comment

• Hello everyone, I'm on the fence about the FMS or the FW P51D. I know the FMS is older but the consensus I'm picking up on is that it's a bit easier to fly than the FW. I guess my real reason for posting is that there is SUPPOSED to be a restocking of the FMS Red Tail 1450 coming in June. What do you guys think the chances are that there will be any improvements made to the plane?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Zoggan, Welcome to Hobby Squawk! My guess would be that unless it's stated this is a 'new and improved' version in the Product Description that it's not different. the "Red Tails" are just too cool for school and unless you want t smaller airframe, I would always opt for a wider wingspan. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Odds are slim that there'll be any changes, too old of a plane. I have the FMS and the FW version. The FW is more difficult, but not to a big extent. I just find the landing gear to be more intricate and takes more maintenance. Mind you, I've installed the metal retract sides on the FMS one. Best to consider upgrading the motor to a 650 kv, it gives it a more scale-like performance.

The way to go may be with the new E Flite P-51, haven't got one myself, but it would seem to be a pretty decent plane as well.
          Or you could just hold out 'til Alpha comes out with a new 1600 mm P-51B with the Malcom hood

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
            Or you could just hold out 'til Alpha comes out with a new 1600 mm P-51B with the Malcom hood Grossman56
            Gm, From your lips...err...fingers to Alpha's R&D Staff. A "B" would be a good thing. I would think there'd be a good long-term market if it was definitively done. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
              The way to go may be with the new E Flite P-51, haven't got one myself, but it would seem to be a pretty decent plane as well.
              I got the Eflite one but haven't flown it yet. On the first take off roll, the tail came up so fast, it snapped off 3 of the 4 blades. Horizon has no spares till late June. They must have had a run on them. Maybe I wasn't the only one to have this happen. The fit and finish on it is superb.
              I gave my old FMS 1450mm one, upgraded to 6s to a friend. Shoulda kept it a little longer but I had no room.

Comment

• I'm kind of surprised that FMS doesn't keep making this plane. It sure seems like everybody wants one?! With all of the discussions about the 1400mm size why would it be on it's way out? Couldn't FMS do some updating and bring it up to a little higher standard?

Comment

• I agree Zoggan, it is a great airplane and some updating would be a help, the updates being within the operating parts and not in the foam design, its' excellent. For instance, most of us have upgraded the motor/ESC to at least the 650 kv. Now, I notice that the 650 kv is a Predator motor with 4.0 mm wires which is different from the original 650 kv that came in the P-40 that had 3.5 mm. Even the early Predators had the 3.5s if I recall, anyway, they went with a Predator ESC which, from what I've heard is not reliable. Personally I went a 85A Mantis ESC in all my Mustangs and the combination works great, even used it in my 1200 mm Bearcat. The point being that if they upgraded to the same power/ESC combination as the P-40, we'd still be swapping out ESC's. Also, the all metal retract sides are a must but I can't see FMS putting out for them. A more robust strut to retract pin would be nice, but try to find them! I haven't had any experience with the new retracts they did come out with, but haven't heard anything good or bad about them.
                  BTW, I just finished installing an 85A ZTW Gecko ESC in the new P-40. Its taller than the Mantis and I had to do some digging to get it to fit underneath the battery tray.
                  Compare all this to a brand new 1600mm P-51B with all the latest in technology and 6s power!!
                  Alpha always said that there were two models that always made money. The Piper Cub and the P-51 Mustang, so maybe he'll take his own advice and make us one, maybe in Jim Howard's colors in keeping with my thought of a Metal Of Honor series of airplanes.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	media-377090.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	256902Click image for larger version  Name:	media-377112.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	256903Click image for larger version  Name:	media-377116.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	256904
                  That would be cool!
                  BTW, you can see in the top pic that the airplane was converted to a Malcom hood by then!

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks for the input! I'm planning on buying the FMS when it's restocked just for the almost universal love of this airframe. I'm a tinkerer and will update it slowly like some of you have. The "bones" of the plane are just too good, and we can build it to be what it should be.

Comment

• Had mine up today, it's her 7th season and she flew awesomely!!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	animated-aeroplane-image-0073.gif
Views:	266
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	257040

Name:	animated-aeroplane-image-0147.gif
Views:	256
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	257041

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Amain Hobbie had said the FMS 1450 Red Tail was expected to arrive June 16th. Now it says July 28th. Frustrating!

Comment

• Doesn't Horizon Hobby now own Amain? Nevertheless, it's Horizon that controls the distribution of FMS in N. America and their webpage says "late July". I think Horizon's information will be more up to date and reliable right from the get go.

Comment

• I think your right. My point being that I now have to wait another month to get one. Oh well, there's a lot worse things

Comment

• Since Eflite just came out with their 1500mm 6s, P-51 (made by FMS), they're going to control the release of the next run of the FMS version so they can at least sell a few more before that happens. IMO, the FMS 4s model is much better value at $200.00 less. The FMS model has been very popular and will likely continue to be, far more popular than the new Eflite one will ever be.P-51 and
                              I've had the FMS V8 and currently have the new Eflite one although I've yet to fly it. I have a feeling that I won't see the $200.00 premium over my old 6s converted FMS.

Comment

• Xviper, keep us informed as I'd like to know what you think of the HH version as compared to the FMS. It looked to me that Pilot Ryan had his share of troubles trying to land the thing, and I've never had a problem with my V8 that I couldn't attribute to fumble fingers. Into her seventh season, so far I've replaced the tires and some prop blades.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman56 Roger that!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_170240.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	260685Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_170313.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	260686
                                    Here are both KV650 motors by FMS. One is from the P40, The other is from the V4 Trojan. The difference is the Trojan motor wires are 12 gauge with 4mm bullets and can handle a 6s pack. See Trojan specs at Horizon or Tower Hobbies page. The P40 motor wires are 14 gauge and have 3,5mm bullets and is a 4s motor. I have run the P40 motor on 6s, but it runs hot, and a bigger speed controller is required. Now that our airfield is back open, We are in process of making a video showing the difference between the 2 motors and will be doing a speed test in the video as well.
                                    Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

Comment

• Originally posted by FLY BOY View Post

Name:	20200619_170240.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	260685Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_170313.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	260686
                                      Here are both KV650 motors by FMS. One is from the P40, The other is from the V4 Trojan. The difference is the Trojan motor wires are 12 gauge with 4mm bullets and can handle a 6s pack. See Trojan specs at Horizon or Tower Hobbies page. The P40 motor wires are 14 gauge and have 3,5mm bullets and is a 4s motor. I have run the P40 motor on 6s, but it runs hot, and a bigger speed controller is required. Now that our airfield is back open, We are in process of making a video showing the difference between the 2 motors and will be doing a speed test in the video as well.
                                      What do the specs say about internal construction like "poles", windings, magnets, etc.?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        What do the specs say about internal construction like "poles", windings, magnets, etc.?
                                        FMS has NEVER published that info.
                                        Of the info they did publish they took down over three years ago but I was able to publish that info before it happened.
                                        I know you're aware of this info XV but maybe FB isn't. https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/el...f-spread-sheet

My many years of FMS motor knowledge and am very skeptical of FLY BOY above claim for the Trojan motor using 6S.
                                        He mentions see specs on either HH or Tower and they both claim 4S operation.
                                        They are also showing the majority of replacement parts for the Trojan as "no longer available" and don't even list the motor

The 6S capable motor in the 4258 can size is the 460kV with 4mm connectors used on the 1500 Razorback and then about 6 months after the initial release of the 1700 Tigercat.
                                        (The original Tiger had 4250-440kV motors with the 3.5mm connectors)
                                        Although I'm not from Missouri, still claim ya gotta "show me". Look forward to the vid

Best regards,
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                          Although I'm not from Missouri, still claim ya gotta "show me". Look forward to the vid
                                          Should we expect to see some smoke?

Comment

Working...
                                          X