Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butchn Charlie has the numbers for you!!! LOL Glad you asked and glad to have you on board at the Squawk!! Blue skies! Jerry

Comment

• I have downloaded the colored manual but it says nothing about gluing the wing halves together ... only the hold downs, seems kinda strange. Just wanted to check to make sure that they just didn't leave that part out of the manual. Butch

Comment

• Originally posted by Butchn View Post
        I have downloaded the colored manual but it says nothing about gluing the wing halves together ... only the hold downs, seems kinda strange. Just wanted to check to make sure that they just didn't leave that part out of the manual. Butch
        That's a personal preference with regard to transport and storage capabilities. My fleet always had the wings glued together if the span was 1600mm or less.
        I hear ya on strange about gluing the hold downs and not the center line butt edge of the wing...……...just don't make sense. My ol' V8 book says the same as yours (pgs 9-10)
        I can hear Doc saying to Kirk...........If you're gonna glue it, well then dammit man just glue it all.
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Okay then - glue it is!
          Thanks

Comment

• Just as an FYI, when I was going through all the upgrade motors on my P51 a few years back, here are the radar speeds from each setup to give you an idea of boost in performance. All done with no zip tie mod to the prop.

Stock - 67mph
            580kv/4s - 73mph
            650kv/4s - 78mph
            550kv/6s - 93mph

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post
              Just as an FYI, when I was going through all the upgrade motors on my P51 a few years back, here are the radar speeds from each setup to give you an idea of boost in performance. All done with no zip tie mod to the prop.

Stock - 67mph
              580kv/4s - 73mph
              650kv/4s - 78mph
              550kv/6s - 93mph
              Very enlightening. The most eye popping increase in speed is the mod to 6s. I think that's what Eflite has tried to do with their newest P-51, 1.5m.

Comment

• Just wondering out loud here ... is the Varathane the thing to do and why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Butchn View Post
                  Just wondering out loud here ... is the Varathane the thing to do and why?
                  Varathane, MinWax, Mod Podge - the purpose of all of these is to seal the foam, paint and decals. This reduces damage from handling, hanger rash, exposure to the elements, fingerprints and dents. Which one you use is a matter of personal taste. MinWax is thin, goes on easily but might need 2 or 3 coats to get the protection you want. Mod Podge is like a paste glue, goes on white, dries clear but can show streaks if put on too thick. I've only used Varathane on furniture but if I recall correctly, it's a bit on the thick side and could do with some thinning before applying onto a model foam plane - drying time is a bit longer if not thinned out. Mod Podge and MinWax can be dry to touch in less than an hour - doesn't need to be thinned. I don't do it to all of my models, only ones that are harder to keep nice looking due to their color scheme and the type of foam used.
                  I didn't do it for my FMS 1450mm P-51 V8. Wish I did.

Comment

• Just ordered some - thanks for the information!

Comment

• I've tried the Varathane and Minwax, so far my hands down favorite is the Spar Urethane
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	027426359055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	234940
                      It comes in Clear Gloss but the can looks the same, got it from Lowes. For the glossiest finish, apply it with a brush, probably four coats (the extra weight is minimal, its water based) letting each coat dry overnight. Conversely, if you're going for a flatter duller finish, spray it on. The best Matte finish, in my opinion is the Minwax Matte, which I could only find on line.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• I just picked up a FMS P-51D 1450mm Petie 2 at the Dayton RC swap meet. I think it is a V7 as it has no battery tray or inner LG doors. It's in great shape. The seller said it only had 10 flights on it and it looks it. I've been searching the web to find an owners manual but have had no luck. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Thank in advance,

Bernie

Comment

• Go to FMS models they are still selling the Mustang. You can access the manual there. Not much difference between the V7 vs the V8 manual. I think the inner gear doors closing with the gear extended was the big change.

Comment

• Here's the link to the page, you'll see the tab for the manual there, just download it.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks guys.
                              Just looked under the hood. It's only a 4250-500kv motor. Ouch!!

Bernie

Comment

• Quick, fix that!!

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

And you're in business

Grossman56

Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks Gman,

I already ordered the motor from Activepowersports.com, Backordered for now. Already ordered the ESC from MRC. Thanks for the heads up on the mount. Plenty of time until the field is rolled in April.

If worst comes to worst I'll make my own mount. I Crashed my EF P-51 1.2m last year and broke the motor mount. It was back ordered so I made my own out of 1/8th lexan from Home Depot. !40+ flights on it and the smoothest (quietest) plane I fly.

By the way "Paint Your Wagon" is a great movie.

Bernie

Comment

• Originally posted by rckruser View Post
                                    Thanks Gman,

I already ordered the motor from Activepowersports.com, Backordered for now. Already ordered the ESC from MRC. Thanks for the heads up on the mount. Plenty of time until the field is rolled in April.

If worst comes to worst I'll make my own mount. I Crashed my EF P-51 1.2m last year and broke the motor mount. It was back ordered so I made my own out of 1/8th lexan from Home Depot. !40+ flights on it and the smoothest (quietest) plane I fly.

By the way "Paint Your Wagon" is a great movie.

Bernie
                                    Your also gonna need the prop shaft from the FMS 1400 F3A Olympus in order to keep the appropriate cowl to spinner spacing.
                                    See my lengthy post # 1245 where I discuss the two most popular power upgrades and provide the links for the motor shaft.
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Oh yeah, that's right, I keep forgetting about the prop shaft. If you don't change it out the spinner sticks out
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6963.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	236212Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4113.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	236213 Look at Old Crow with the stock prop shaft and My Little Gal with the new one, takes care of the gap.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks OV10 and Gman,

I ordered everything today. Hopefully I'll be in business in a week or so. I ordered the motor direct from FMS. Never dealt with them before.

I also ordered the speed upgrade for my FL F8F Bearcat 1.2m.

Bernie

Comment

• You'll be pleased!!
                                          With my Bearcat, I used the same 650kv power system with the same 85A ESC and installed the 1400 mm FMS Corsair prop in front, incredible airplane, literally unlimited vertical.
                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9493.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	236314Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8931.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	236315
                                          Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment