Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yup,. saw the info on page one,just wasnt sure if the zipties would do it alone for more vertical climb, or if that required more power. hated to spend the extra bucks,but if it requires it, then so be it. seeing the P-51 climb is a must to me

www.TSHobbies.com
    Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post
      yup,. saw the info on page one,just wasnt sure if the zipties would do it alone for more vertical climb, or if that required more power. hated to spend the extra bucks,but if it requires it, then so be it. seeing the P-51 climb is a must to me
      I hear good things about the 650kv motor on 4S, but I'm reasonably certain even this will require an 85 amp ESC upgrade because of the 4 blade prop. vs. the 3 blade on the P-40, if you want to run WOT for any length of time without frying the stock ESC.

I went the route of the 550kv motor, 100 amp ESC and 6S batteries. The plane with this combination will climb until it's out of sight. It was an expensive route to go, but my Petie 2nd has all the vertical you could ever use for line of sight flying.

Comment

• I'd try the shim first mate, it's only going to cost you some time and zip ties. Mizer is correct, if you plan on staying 4s the 650kv is your best option, but will require a esc upgrade. I've also gone with the 550kv, 100 esc for 5s/6s in both my mustangs. Running for over a year no issues. Vertical is pretty much unlimited. Hope it helps. :)

Comment

• Hey guys, good advice,I have the 650kv already and am going to put it in my Freewing P51 with sound, just to increase the power to weight ratio, the ESC makes great sense I'm wondering if I need to go a little hotter than an 85A though. I have the shims in the prop already to try and make up for the altitude here (5000')

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• thanks guys for the input..I'll go ahead and do the zippy mod first and see what I think of it.
            www.TSHobbies.com
            Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
              Hey guys, good advice,I have the 650kv already and am going to put it in my Freewing P51 with sound, just to increase the power to weight ratio, the ESC makes great sense I'm wondering if I need to go a little hotter than an 85A though. I have the shims in the prop already to try and make up for the altitude here (5000')

Grossman56
              I don't know the numbers on a shimmed 650 mate, (I don't think anyone has shimmed s 650 as yet), but 85amp esc for a 650 unshimmed is on the mark for 4s. Watt tester is your friend. ;)

Comment

• Thanks Shirty, I just got my Watt meter, but haven't got the plugs yet, have to go shopping on the weekend. I ran the number through the Static Thrust Calculator, and they were a little high, great to hear some confirmation, appreciate it

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• My in flight data on the 650 on 4S shows higher than 70 amps only on the initial climb out (peak at 89 amps). After that flying WOT gives me less than 70 Amps. See the charts I posted earlier for details

Comment

• I think running the shims with the 650kv would be a bit hairy and require at least a 100amp esc.....definately want to hear what the results are from all. I will have my D version Freewing and my B version FMS very soon and was planning on using the 650 kv in both.... DJ
                    FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                    DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                    Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                    J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

• Hey Ol', have my 650 and she's ready to go into Old Crow, the motor mount is different, it has a different bolt pattern on the 650 than the 580 motor, so pick one of those up as well. This afternoons project, mount the 650 with the mantis 85A ESC in Old Crow, take the old system and put that into Shangrila, then all my warbirds have at least 580 sized motors in them, I feel a need for speed!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Tks, yup got that on list, motor mount from P-40 is that what ur using ? also hows the spacing from cowl to spinner looking ... DJ

Comment

• Yes, the P 40 motor mount. Got her in yesterday. There is a bit more of a space, about 5mm. The bullet connectors on the Freewing ESC are a different size than the FMS Motor, but you want an 85A ESC, I used the Mantis, no problem. Check out 'Good bye to Old Iron Ass for more details

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Here's a visual now that my PC decided to cooperate. Had to have a word with it.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Can relate on what words too ;) that looks good alot better than what I had heard. Lookn forward to your flight reports on the 650kv..I missed out on that Iron Ass sale..... DJ

Comment

• Boy, I think I got pretty nearly the last one! I had to do some fast and fancy talking because I told the wife I wouldn't buy any more for a while (read,'next year')
                                I was never fond of the name so I think I'll get ahold of Callie and get a new name made....
                                "Thanks Honey!
                                She'll like that!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• BTW, when we ran it up, at half throttle, Diane had to get a better grip, that sucker was haulin'!

So the trick is going to be being very easy on the throttle.
                                  Man I can't wait. As I said before, I love those huge loops that the real ones do, this should give me the ability to to replicate those.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• There ya go ... Im getting an ol crow and will fly it stock first, then get the upgrade setup because I would rather fly it with a four blade prop. Will do the 650kv on my P-51B.

Comment

• Something else I would like to add to the first page.... what is the wingcord CG point..would like to post what it is for the the FW and All the FMS Variants. Tks DJ

Comment

• Here's what the manual says. ;)

Don't know why it's uploading upside down, it's correct on my iPad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post

Don't know why it's uploading upside down, it's correct on my iPad.
                                          Probably has something to with being on the other side of the world ;)

Comment

Working...
                                          X