Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is some data I downloaded from my ESC. Four flights on the Duchess Arlene with the 650kV motor, stock prop, 4S batteries and Castle Creations 100 ESC. The first two flights used an Admiral 3600mah, 50C bat. The second two were Flightpower 4000 mah 25C and 35C batts. Notice the first high peak amps are right after take off. Max was with the first of the two 4000mah batteries a 89 amps. The first graph has current, voltage (note the horizontal red line is low voltage cutoff) and throttle position. The second graph has RPM, Temp and power as well as throttle position.

Comment

• Originally posted by wrongroad View Post
      G'day Rex,
      I do not know mate, I have an enforced couple of days off line and you prang one:( [Optus went down in my area...Had to fly parts out from Germany....same excuse as last time:rolleyes:]
      I would ditch any servos connected to any parts that detached from the airframe. At ten dollars or so, they are usually not worth while salvaging. Ask me how I know if you need to:D
      I want to know what grade of crash was it?
      You know how they rate tornadoes in an F scale, well crashes can be rated the same way...the more F's that can be uttered means the crash took a long time or you were not that busy at the sticks. Therefore a no F crash is usually the worst!!
      It was all over in under a second, WOT victory roll at 50 ft, dropped the right wing 2/3 around the roll, flicking over & aimed vertical at the ground, had time to hit throtle hold, tried to save it but it hit the ground about 80 deg, all the parts where with a wing span, the dirt went right through the motoe, up to the ESC, creased or broke evry part except the rudder, even the tail plane pasitic lug moved, so it would rate up there in the crash scale maybe a minus 10 F
      RED NOSE FMS P51D V8, Mr RC Sound Card :shy:
      Lots of Helicopters :p

Comment

• G'day Rex,
        I would call it a F0 crash for sure, when you do not have time to swear, it is usually a big one:D
        The worst one I had was with my Dynam SR 22 Cirrus. On the opening day of our current strip a couple of keen frogtographers stepped out onto the runway to get a 'good shot.' I saw then out of the corner of my eye as I was just coming over the threshold to land and made some bad inputs, stalled and mashed a perfectly good model trying to miss these two.
        I was not happy and I was not any of the other six dwarfs either. The Cirrus went to model plane heaven:angel:
        The Cirrus did not have any wing spars so there was no support at all when she cartwheeled.
        All my victory rolls are done after I pull up and head upward while doing the roll. I watched a full size P51 at Evans Head in January and that is the way he was doing his rolls. Pull up and then roll.
        I spoke to the pilot later and he informed me to it any other way is a quick trip to the undertakers. I took him at his word.
        He was a very careful pilot and he aborted his display when some clown in an ultra light come over the runway at about fifty feet when the Mustang was coming for a low pass along the strip at about three hundred miles per hour.
        I am looking forward to Tingalpa on the 13th. [March] It is a good field and a good bunch of blokes to fly with. When you get tired of watching the models, you can sit back and watch the full sized airshow going into Brisbane.
        We will get in a good catch up one day.
        Regards and respect
        Daryl

Comment

• What the? You didn't tell me about the p51? What p51 at Evans head? I know it well. Email me mate don't wanna clog this thread. I've never seen a real one fly in the flesh, you lucky $&#% ;) that would be a dream come true for me. Esp a blue nose, I'd probably jump up and down in excitement like a 5 yr old lol. (And have the facial of expression of one of those clowns you put ping ping balls in their mouth at the show). The yanks don't know how good they got it. Even seeing the occasional fa18 here in Perth is a real treat for me, and a guarantee I'll stop what I'm doing, run out of any building I'm in and try to see it if I hear one. the USA boys see cool stuff every bloody day they prob take no notice.

Watch all p51s, spits and such. They all lift the nose to roll in the real thing.

Comment

• Shirty...

I live 10 min from Falcon field...the home of Dixie Wings - a commemorative air force wing with a flying P-51D, Corsair, Dauntless, AT6, Japanese Kate (modified AT6), and they are currently working on restoring a King Cobra and a T-34. One of the RC clubs I belong to has their monthly meeting at Dixie Wings during the winter.

Believe me brother...I at least know how blessed I am!;) By the way...the P-51 is the first plane ever in the old Confederate Air Force...the one that started it all..."Red Nose". When you visit the states...for a fee...hell yes it's expensive...you can take a ride in the Mustang.

Adam

Big time propeller head
            Love flying scale and 3D
            Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• You can get a ride in one??? With a Merlin? Hell yeah!!! I'll put my house up for sale next week. ;) man.... I'd just drive out there all the time to perve on the planes. We have an airforce base about 40 mins drive from my house. I sometimes go out there and park, and just wait to see if any of the airforce jets come in. I know, I have a problem lol.

Comment

• Dang, that's on my bucket list!1 Was hoping to win the ride through AMA, but no such luck
                One day.......................
                Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Shirty we all have a problem...:D I use to spend hours when I was a teen hanging around a small airport watching J-3's and 150's do touch n go's.

And its on my bucket list too Grossman...sort of. I want to ride in a Spitfire. If memory serves its like $1500.00 for a 30 min ride. Considering what it is and what it costs to keep them up...and that they burn 200 gallons an hour...$1500 ain't bad...
                  Big time propeller head
                  Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                    You can get a ride in one??? With a Merlin? Hell yeah!!! I'll put my house up for sale next week. ;) man.... I'd just drive out there all the time to perve on the planes. We have an airforce base about 40 mins drive from my house. I sometimes go out there and park, and just wait to see if any of the airforce jets come in. I know, I have a problem lol.
                    if you want it bad enough, come to the U.S. and visit www.stallion51.com. Check out Crazy Horse, it's even a Blue Nose!

Comment

• G'day Shirty,
                      Yeppppppp! It was almost better than the horizontal Tango. At start up you could stand behind and smell the fumes:p, watch him warm up and do all the prelims then taxi out and he was about twenty feet off the deck coming past the crowd line with the coming up and climbing with that glorious sound rasping out for all to savour and savour we did. Awesome.
                      Kim Rolf Smith had the Huff & Puff T-28 there as well but FMS got the pilot bust of Kim very wrong!!!!!! It needs to fill the canopy much, much more.:D For those who do not know, FMS took the local T-28 and produced it. If you look under the tail you will see the Australian rego VH-TRO.
                      I think a ride in the Mustang was a grand for ten minutes....yes, one hundred dollars per minute.
                      One of the F111's is stored there as well.
                      Evans Head is the first airshow of the year in Australia and is about the second week in January. I think it goes under The Great Eastern Fly In.
                      For our O/S blokes, Evens Head was a RAAF base for many years and I think is still registered as an active reserve base. The live bombing range is not that far away and the RAAF still use the range quite often.
                      It is an active light aircraft field and the local R/C boys can play there as well.
                      You know what to do for next year Shirty. I keep telling you that there is a bed and a feed here!
                      Regards and respect
                      Daryl

PS, the machine is one of the 250 built here at Fishermans Bend and as such has very limited hours on the clock as most of our P51's went into storage after just a few years and then sold off to the public for, wait for it, the equivalent of $259.
                      The BBD that crashed at Duxford in 2011 was also an Australian airframe.

Comment

• Originally posted by tdevince View Post
                        if you want it bad enough, come to the U.S. and visit www.stallion51.com. Check out Crazy Horse, it's even a Blue Nose!
                        That's awesome. I know crazy horse, that's the one on my blue nose tshirt! (Yes, I even have a blue nose tshirt lol, I try to make a practice of wearing it every time I take one of my blue nosers to the club, that's why it's so faded... ;)). (Still think I don't have a "special kind of RC problem" now Adam? :D). How cool would that be to see in the flesh? I checked out that site. Hellooo Florida. I'd prob pee myself with excitement climbing in the cockpit for a fly. How $&@$ cool is that? I hate you USA guys even more now lol. ;) Daryl, see you next year bud! ;) Ps: I'm a child. Look how excited I get just at the thought of it. :D

Comment

• G'day Shirty,
                          We all know you are special:D in a very good way of course.
                          I try to wear my FMS red tail tee shirt when I fly at away events but my domestic blindness often makes it hard for me to find:p.
                          I usually get a roll of the eyes from Dolly and a 'it is in the OTHER basket' comment. It is a very big problem when there are only two baskets and I have looked in both of them. Of course Dolly comes along and finds it right where I had been looking:dodgy:.
                          Oi, why wait until next year?
                          And then you have an excuse for another visit. You are most welcome any time, mate.
                          I am just thinking, if everyone turned up at once................ what a party:D:D:D
                          Regards and respect
                          Daryl

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                            That's awesome. I know crazy horse, that's the one on my blue nose tshirt! (Yes, I even have a blue nose tshirt lol, I try to make a practice of wearing it every time I take one of my blue nosers to the club, that's why it's so faded... ;)). (Still think I don't have a "special kind of RC problem" now Adam? :D).
                            Why yes Shirty...as a matter of fact I don't think your problem is anything unique...:shy:

Big time propeller head
                            Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

• G'day gang,
                              Flew five nice missions today in gusty conditions but enjoyed each of the first four flights so much that I was surprised to hear the timer go off telling me that I was a bingo fuel.
                              Why is it that time really does fly when you are having fun.
                              Last flight was in conditions that got nasty once I was in the air so I cut it short in case I needed the extra power for a go around. I needed not to worry as the Duchess landed herself nicely even in a thirty kmh cross wind.
                              Will do a few checks during the week in readiness for the warbirds day at Tingalpa in Brisbane. It is always a good day of flying and great models on display. Just hope I can do my best for the FMS Mustang crowd.
                              Regards and respect
                              Daryl

Comment

• Hey sounds like you had a great time Daryl! Sounds like you have the start of a catchy phrase or motto, something like
                                "Time flies when you spend time flying"
                                or such
                                Sounds like a good time in Brisbane is coming up for you, give us the low down when you get back will you?

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Daryl I have no doubts you will do us proud...more importantly enjoy yourself man...Im finally back, done moving, nows its more unpacking and organizing. Does it ever end !
                                  FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                                  DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                                  Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                                  J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

• Originally posted by olwarbirds View Post
                                    Daryl I have no doubts you will do us proud...more importantly enjoy yourself man...Im finally back, done moving, nows its more unpacking and organizing. Does it ever end !
                                    Plus 1. I'm sure you'll do us proud mate, but watch those qlders lol ;)

Good luck with the boxes olwarbirds. Out of my top ten most hated jobs, moving house is number one. :-S

Comment

• G'day Grossman,
                                      Hang on to that phrase, even put a little c over it. I like it.:D
                                      Shirty, with the new part of the highway open now (St Helena) it is about two hours and forty from my front door to Tingalpa. No traffic lights and 110 [kph for the o/s gang] once you are past Ballina. Happy days. With daylight saving I leave home at 5am and I am ready to fly by 7 am local. All too good and when you think that it takes me thirty minutes to get to my home field, it really is not all that much further.
                                      For all our O/S people, it is nothing for Australians to drive 400 kilometres and return for a day trip, I do it often:D.
                                      If the weather holds it should be a cracker of a day.
                                      Regards and respect
                                      Daryl

PS, most Queenslanders are pretty good people and the blokes that fly RC are top notch.
                                      For the O/S gang, there is some pretty strong sporting rivalry between Queensland and New South Wales...google up rugby league state of origin NSW v QLD and watch some of the best rugby league on the planet.

Comment

• Got quite a few flights in this weekend with Petie...love the way it flies ,all except the climb..it basically has no vertical climb, so Im wondering , will the zip tie mod help ? or do I need to do the motor upgrade? Thats probably the only let down I have with this plane (once the plastic gear mounts are changed to metal) ...flying off the deck, it would be cool to be able to go vertical..but mine pretty much just peters out very quickly (or would that be Peties out?)
                                        www.TSHobbies.com
                                        Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Nice photos....I think personally you would be happier with the 650kv motor upgrade. I am getting a lot of good feedback on using it. I do believe that all you need to do swap is listed here on page one. Let me know if I have missed something... DJ
                                          FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                                          DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                                          Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                                          J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

Working...
                                          X