Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I preordered the Marauder today. I am running out of room for all these planes I got and they have spilled out of my workroom to a spare bedroom in my houseLOL fortunately my Wife is very understanding about my hobby.

Comment

• Well mine are spilling into occupied rooms :0

Comment

• The bombers take up lots of room. They have taken my garage, my 10 x 12 greenhouse and the new 10 x 12 shed!!!:Silly: And the Marauders have not even delivered yet.

Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by Westsider View Post
          No offense Pilot Ryan, just couldn't resist:devious. Thanks for not calling me Crash and Burn back. I have nothing but the most sincere respect for your skills, advice and abilities. You are TRULY an AMAZING resource to all of us, and top five in my personal most trusted advice I get in the hobby - and you do it in front of a camera - amazing sir. Thanks again for all you do. An integral part of the MRC difference :Win:.
          I fully agree with westsider, I have nothing but the most utmost respect for you, Pilot Ryan. Thank you for not referring to me as " he who can't fly his own"! It's so cool to see you doing the maiden on my F-16 on the MRC website! You my friend are a Rockstar! You too Captain Mike!

Comment

• Sorry to keep harping on this, but... What's with the red and green landing lights?!!! I realize the wing tips are too thin for navigation lights and I suppose for night flyers the red and green landing lights would be of good use, however for an a--- retentive scale nut, like myself, I prefer white. I guess it comes down to practical vs.scale. And again, PLEASE...No warped wings and/or stabs! Thanks, Doc

Comment

• Originally posted by doctormike View Post
              Sorry to keep harping on this, but... What's with the red and green landing lights?!!! I realize the wing tips are too thin for navigation lights and I suppose for night flyers the red and green landing lights would be of good use, however for an a--- retentive scale nut, like myself, I prefer white. I guess it comes down to practical vs.scale. And again, PLEASE...No warped wings and/or stabs! Thanks, Doc
              Agree with you Doc - I think this was mentioned earlier, maybe on another thread. These manufacturers all seem to marketing to the "teeming masses" and so they go for the flashy "Christmas tree look" just because it gets a little more attention. Same with the silver color - a plain OD model with scale lights wouldn't look as good to the common man. I guess. Of course anyone who is slightly interested in WWII birds will be going "the lights are wrong" "why are they all blinking" "why are the tires too fat" "why are the guns the wrong size" "why are the pilots cartoon figures from a Lego movie" ... and so on. But we seem to be in the minority. Perhaps Dynam feels their customers are special - the type that are all "ooooh look, shiny!" ... well at least that seems to be the group they're marketing to. <sigh>. I agree with you! At least MRC is cajoling them and guiding them and trying to move them a little in the right direction. And I guess we need to keep in mind that Dynam isn't owned by MRC.

I'm thinking of making mine OD all over, with the invasion stripes. Should be a fun project. With the silver undercoating it will be easy to get that "worn paint" look.
              See what the Skipper is doing on post #291 and 292. Wow that looks good.

I think in a previous post one of the moderators (maybe it was Alpha) said that the lights can be easily changed out. Install some white LEDs on the wing roots and that will help some. And I think they mentioned in the video that you can easily change them from blinking to solid, by plugging them into a different port on the board. I guess we'll see.
              Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Great recap TMD. ;)
                I like you Doc didn't appreciate "the look" and had asked the question earlier which got the answer that TMD just responded with of a recap to Alpha's answer.
                As a modeler I'll make it right but hopefully with Motion's assistance they (Dynam) will come around.
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Good feedback, guys. As always, we greatly appreciate it, so feel free to sound off! :)

Rest assured we have similar ideas for a lot of this stuff. But also keep in mind that none of this will happen overnight, nor do we pretend it will. Ryan accurately and astutely pointed out in the Official Video that the B-26 is a good "step in the right direction" for Dynam. And that's what this aircraft is, a good first step. It's not crossing any major finish lines on its first pass. It's not trying to compete with the scale fidelity, features, and pricepoint of a FlightLineRC twin. Those are two different sandboxes, and both Mfrs agreed to keep some separation between the two. Dynam remains the brand that focuses on strong value for its pricepoint. Beyond that, it's icing.

Regarding pilot figures, they're not glued in, so ditch them if they're terrible (or try adding Sculpey like I'm going to do). Dynam aims to hit a very specific pricepoint with its models, because, well, the data doesn't lie and price remains the primary determinant of Volume (i.e. the lifeblood of a mass-production manufacturer). This target pricepoint necessitates that, sometimes, some things must go. Changing a pilot figure may not seem like a big deal to us individually, but it actually involves significant cost to scuplt, retool, and reproduce a new pilot figure for a new airplane, compared to using an existing off-the-shelf pilot figure whose production costs are already amortized over years of production. Ultimately, the target pricepoints are set by Dynam, not by us. But even if it was my call, I probably would have kept the figures as is instead of tacking on another ~$15 to the PNP price.

Regarding lights, I've addressed that previously. Being optimistic, I'm putting this in the "Next time" category! :)

Regarding simplifying the base color and not applying decals... that's near to what we've done, with the base silver and stripes and unapplied decals. From there, the model is quite an empty canvas. It's a great question, actually, with a great deeper answer! Painting bare foam is less ideal than a customer simply painting over the factory applied paint. The factory applied paint isn't like the stuff most modelers have easy access to. In addition, there are foam preparation steps done to bare foam at the factory before painting it, so at that point it might as well just get a coat of paint on it. In the future it may be an idea to ship models with bare primer basecoats, but again, to answer the question of why Mfrs are so reluctant to do this in greater numbers, I would have to point back to the data that most customers prefer PNPs to be PNPs, not PNP-and-then-paint-and-then-apply-decals. Personally, I'm definitely in the latter group (as I can tell some of your are), but I would remind us my friends that part of the challenge is recognizing that I am, frankly, in the minority. Mass Production lives and dies on efficiency, which thrives on consistency. Changing processes takes time, which costs money. For a brand dead set on dominating the sub $250 foamy space, there's more to what goes on here than is outwardly apparent.

With that all said, the B-26 pre-order is almost over. We thought we'd have enough but yet again this huge groundswell of customers who are invisible to our Forum radar swept in and gobbled most of the first shipment. THANK YOU to all of you, both here as posters and here as lurkers or whatever, for supporting Dynam's newest warbird. Realize that this is their first warbird in a while... we really encouraged them to get back into the warbird market again and join in on the fun with FlightLineRC and FMS and Horizon and the others, and we're hopeful that an increasing audience with feedback such as you all have given will further encourage Dynam to push forward with more projects we have prepared. I have quite a few on my To Do list, but again, nothing happens overnight.

While I'm here and have stable internet at 3:00AM, I'll add a short list of observations for this aircraft. Over time I'll add more. Hopefully this keeps the conversation going, and we look forward to what you all have to say once your B-26s arrive next month.

Things I like:
                  1. The large battery bay is a huge plus to me. Remember how the Bf-110 required hollowing out to fit a reasonably sized battery? The B-26 has a much larger bay that can fit normal sized hands, gyro, etc. The stock recommended 4s 4000 fits forward of the rear bay wall. Smaller batteries can be pushed against the rear bay wall and still hit CG. Although most of us have the standard 4s 3600/4000, so I'd say stick with that. Note: XT60 connector in this bird, as Dynam has been converting all models throughout 2017.
                  2. Subject matter. Dynam was the only Mfr that agreed to produce a B-26. This aircraft has quite a history and deserved to be made. Kudos to Dynam to investing the $$$$$ for a new model in this size. This stuff isn't cheap. Many of you would fall over if I disclosed the upfront costs.
                  3. Plastic nose cone and canopy and tail aren't pre-installed. A detailer's dream. Blank canvas. I have lots of plans for mine. Who posted that nose decal?
                  4. I love the reverse threaded prop adapters!!!
                  5. I love the CR prop. The big prop size threatens to mow the lawn if flown on taller grass and there is some flex in the forward mounted nacelle, but I haven't broke a prop yet. Landings, as seen in Ryan's video, is a realy easy affair especially with full flaps and power on.
                  6. Speaking of props, Dynam includes two pairs of props!
                  7. I like that all servos are standard servos. The wings have a cover near the servos that allows easy access to unplug the servo connector and swap the servo should the need ever arise. This cover could probably do with being shaved down from the inside by 1mm. But it's a great idea and very convenient. I hate pulling out long servo wires from an aileron all the way into the fuselage as one long connection.
                  8. Version 2 retracts have worked very well in our cold weather testing and running them through mud and other conditions.
                  9. Removable outer wing panels are nice, although the model fits assembled in the backseat of a small sedan. It's nice that all flying surfaces screw on, making replacement easy in case of damage.
                  10. Flight time on the 4s 4000 is much better than my Bf-110 on its 4s 2200. I also prefer the weight of the B-26. It isn't too light and it isn't too heavy. It holds lines well for a bomber, yet isn't a bore or chore to fly. Aileron to 100% and Elevator/Rudder to 75% can yield a surprisingly acrobatic twin!
                  11. Did I mention it's a foam electric PNP B-26? Finally!

Things to look out for:
                  1. The tires are big and wide, which I like, and the plastic hubs have a scale-ish design pattern, but the corners of the wheels aren't as round as I'd like. Luckily, the wheel collars make swapping the wheels with Dubros a one minute affair.
                  2. The fitment of the upper hatch is partly influenced by where the factory workers glued the matching magnets. Sometimes the magnets meet 1mm-2mm higher than the wing.
                  3. The canopy foam is a little thin at the sides, so don't grip it there. Again the magnet alignment may give a slight gap. #2 and #3 can be seen in some of the Official product photos on the product page. The fitment in other areas is standard Dynam. Not FlightLineRC level of butting, but acceptable for this price point.
                  4. The clear tape pull tab on the canopy is thin. Standard Dynam, which I usually end up reinforcing with another strip of clear packing tape.
                  5. The nose steering servo doesn't have a hole above it like FlightLineRC/Freewing uses to easily access the servo horn's screw. This makes adjusting the steering servo's center difficult. I took my thin screwdriver and poked through the foam to access the servo screw directly, instead of having to remove the horn from the side. I'll post a picture later.
                  6. I trimmed the plastic wheel covers at the corner where the strut fork passes the cover. Trimming the cover back a few millimeters reduces the chance of the strut binding against the cover if you bend the struts on a bad landing.
                  7. Be mindful that Dynam's new V2 retracts can still have the 8 second startup delay. Plug in your battery, and wait until you hear the retracts arm ("ZzhhhT" sound) before you cycle the gear switch.
                  8. Double-check the flap hinges and add some medium CA with kicker, if needed. I test flew 12 aircraft in total, and 2 of them needed some additional glue, which they did at the factory while I was there. Still, hinges are worth checking since there are so many of them across all four flap surfaces. Note: An elevator mix is NOT needed with flaps.
                  9. Manipulate the elevator surfaces with your hand, before you attach the control rods. Bending the surfaces past full deflection helps to set the crease in the foam, which reduces the resistance the elevator servo has to deal with. Note: A Freewing 17g MG servo drops right in, for someone wanting additional strength and insurance.
                  10. Ryan added a couple drops of lightweight silicon oil in his elevator guide tubes. I didn't on any of mine, but it's still a good idea to manipulate the rods to check for any binding. Note: If you do decide to add a lubricant, ensure it's foam safe. WD-40 or other lubricants with petroleum distilates must be avoided! Lightweight 100% silicon oil or other lubricants intended for metal-to-plastic action is best. A little goes a long way. Don't goop it up!

Other notes:
                  1. When assembling the outer wing panels, note that there are two wire leads coming out of the forward hole, and one wire lead coming out of the rear hole. These correspond to the two wire connectors coming out of the forward hole on the nacelle side, and the one rear hold on the nacelle side. Plug them in accordingly, and feed the wires in gently. I found it easier to unscrew the center main wing to do this step. The model comes with that center wing section already screwed onto the fuse, but as a matter of best practices I unscrewed it to check the servo centering, anyway. While the wing is off, tug on the wires from the inside as you feed them in from the outer wing panel. Floss or tape might help here to prevent you from accidentally separating the connector. When in doubt, check the connections with a servo tester before screwing everything back together!
                  2. The wires from the wings emanate from a single location on the lower part of the main wing, inside the fuselage. Inspect that area for snags or tangles in your wiring.
                  3. The rudder has lots of throw. Dial it down so it doesn't obstruct the elevator's movement. As shown in Ryan's video, flat rudder turns can be accomplished very slowly. It's a fun maneuver to perfect.
                  4. I trimmed with 2mm Up elevator and stock recommended CG. That's a good starting point.
                  5. Factory CG location, as shown in Ryan's video, is what we recommend. The model has 2mm spacers under the nose retract, to give a very nice rotation with normal elevator input. I found 75% to be the perfect throttle setting. It doesn't want or need to be full throttled in order to takeoff nicely.
                  6. My preferred landing approach is full flaps, slight power on, and using throttle to manage the rate of descent. I only cut power once the mains touch the ground. The longer and flatter approach, the better. If you're coming in too steep or fast, just go around and try again. You don't want those big scale props to cut the grass or flex downward.
                  7. The plastic strut shrouds on my landing gear benefited from a thin strip of clear packing tape at the top. I do this for all my plastic strut shrouds on all foamies for all brands, actually. CA glue joints can re-crack, but clear tape is flexible and keeps everything together. I see this as an easy step to do preventative measure to avoid split strut shrouds after rough landings.
                  8. The Standard rotation propeller happens to be a drop in fit with the FMS/RocHobby/Durafly 1100mm 4-blade warbirds. P-51D, Strega, Voodoo, F2G, Critical Mass. A repainted B-26 with F2G props would look neat! The Dynam prop is a different material, although bench tests show the performance is nearly identical.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks Alpha for the detailed look behind the scenes.

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                    2. Subject matter. Dynam was the only Mfr that agreed to produce a B-26. This aircraft has quite a history and deserved to be made. Kudos to Dynam to investing the $$$$$ for a new model in this size. This stuff isn't cheap. Many of you would fall over if I disclosed the upfront costs.
                    The company I work for produces product out of aluminum and steel and I can tell you the tooling for a new product for us can run into a few hundred thousand dollars. Although Dynam is working with foam molds I'd bet the costs can hit $100K.

Comment

• I Used to Injection mold you are probably closer to $ 250.000 to 500.000 just for molds

Comment

• Alpha....great footnotes.

Woody

Comment

• Yes. Thanks, Alpha for all the background details. :)

Comment

• Thank you Alpha, excellent points and I love the extra notes that you took the time to explain and provide all those details. GDamnit why can't other manufacturers be so good to us like you are? Hmm ... because they don't have you on staff obviously. :Win: You and the whole MRC staff are simply outstanding, and I am SO excited about all the warbirds you're bringing to us. These are the days! I am having so much fun. I love these models!

Grump grump grump. We will never stop griping about the scale details, for us warbird nerds it just adds to our fun to nitpik everything (especially on a forum) and then we just add all these details and mods ourselves. Its not so hard to fix the little things that bug us. Like those lights LOL.

I remember the really stupid models in the past and I always dreamed about a manufacturer making really good scale models. My dreams are coming true! Like all your others, the Marauder is really terrific and as usual I think you and Dynam have done a great job of balancing the various factors to produce a model that is attractive for the mass market but also good enough to satisfy us scale guys. Retracts, flaps, guns, clear nose cone, removable wings, scale airframe.... And those CR 4-bladed props... oh my I'm hyperventilating. Now... while I'm waiting on my porch anxiously watching for the UPS truck to arrive I can amuse myself dreaming about what you're doing next - project Virtue etc... I can hardly wait to see it. :eyeswide And the one after that... and the one after that!!! /runs away giggling
                            Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• I pre-ordered the B26 yesterday this will be my first multi-motor RC. I did buy the Dynam V1 F6F Hellcat (no flaps version) and the instructions did not say anything about how to connect the LEDs. I ordered an LED light kit and replaced the white forwarding facing LEDs with the super bright LEDs with the light kit instead. Also put green/red navigation lights and red strobe lights on the Hellcat as well. It is great for flying in twilight hours since I can see my plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by borntoolate View Post
                                Probably about a week after I receive the silver one.;)

Bob
                                Pre Ordered mine last week. Plan on doing her in the OD and Gray scheme. Had to have a 26 that I can fly. The WOW one is a hand full. So she'll probably be a hangar queen and a tarmac twin at Fun Fly events. Will post the repaint after I finish the Bearcat build.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                                  Well I preordered the Marauder today. I am running out of room for all these planes I got and they have spilled out of my workroom to a spare bedroom in my houseLOL fortunately my Wife is very understanding about my hobby.
                                  I am with ya my wife is very understanding but at least she knows where I am in the basement hanger or at the flying field. She puts up with my hobbie does notice when a new bird shows in the hanger she is amazed at how they reproduce LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigrc2 View Post

Pre Ordered mine last week. Plan on doing her in the OD and Gray scheme. Had to have a 26 that I can fly. The WOW one is a hand full. So she'll probably be a hangar queen and a tarmac twin at Fun Fly events. Will post the repaint after I finish the Bearcat build.

I am anxious to see what scheme you will do Brent! Hopefully they will all be ready for a good Fun Fly at your field!

Bob

Comment

• OK...The wheels. Thankfully, those weird looking wheels can be easily replaced with dubro low bounce wheels. Not exactly scale looking but much better. Aren't we scale nuts going to have fun with this airplane?!!! Doc

Comment

• Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                                        OK...The wheels. Thankfully, those weird looking wheels can be easily replaced with dubro low bounce wheels. Not exactly scale looking but much better. Aren't we scale nuts going to have fun with this airplane?!!! Doc
                                        Robarts with the diamond tread baby!
                                        TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Robarts with the diamond tread baby!
                                          Robarts are always the ticket. Put them on the 38, F4U and several others.
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X