Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the gains setting. SAFE is great, but it's better to learn not to depend on it at all. Only use it for emergency situation. One time I was flying with my son next to me when a bug flew into my eye. I switched the plane into SAFE and hand the TX to my son with no problem.

Comment

• UPDATE! Don't use foam tac to glue in the transducers from Mr. Sound. I had one come off mid flight. It swung around the battery area and it knocked the battery cover off. I had my favorite $20 camera wedged in the battery cover when I lost it. The transducer then got wedged between the elevator and rudder servos. Thankfully I was able to land, but it could have been worse. Use a stronger glue. My fault, lesson learned. New 4K spy camera ordered from ebay. I like how the camera is on an 18 cm lead, should be able to place it in neat spots around the plane.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_152718.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	333368
        Originally posted by brianswiger View Post
        UPDATE! Don't use foam tac to glue in the transducers from Mr. Sound. I had one come off mid flight.

Amen to that! Tried that with my first sound set-up and one transducer came off on it's 2nd flight. Since then, and 8 sound systems later with 2 transducers each glued in with epoxy, never had one come loose again after maybe well over 100 flights. I also use a toothpick and poke holes in the foam where the transducers sit, not sure if that made any difference, but they've been rock solid for some time now. You should also consider putting heat sinks on each transducer because it really cuts down on the overheating, especially with the double wasp sound for the Corsair as that particular one generates the most heat. Before I put the heat sinks on, I must have "blown out" about 5 transducers which Andrew replaced immediately (back when he sold them directly).
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_152718.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	333368

Amen to that! Tried that with my first sound set-up and one transducer came off on it's 2nd flight. Since then, and 8 sound systems later with 2 transducers each glued in with epoxy, never had one come loose again after maybe well over 100 flights. I also use a toothpick and poke holes in the foam where the transducers sit, not sure if that made any difference, but they've been rock solid for some time now. You should also consider putting heat sinks on each transducer because it really cuts down on the overheating, especially with the double wasp sound for the Corsair as that particular one generates the most heat. Before I put the heat sinks on, I must have "blown out" about 5 transducers which Andrew replaced immediately (back when he sold them directly).
          I like those heat sinks, where can I get some?

A comment about Foam-tac - its not that its "not strong enough". The reason Foam-Tac isn't best for this application is because the transducers get fairly hot, and Foam-Tac will soften when its heated. So its not the right glue for mounting transducers, epoxy is!

p.s. -- don't leave foamies that were constructed using Foam-Tac in a hot car in the summer. Besides the gatoring problem, they will turn back into kits! Also, if you want to remove something that's been glued in with Foam-tac, to separate the parts all you need to do is gently (carefully) heat it.
          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

I like those heat sinks, where can I get some?
            They come in all shapes and sizes, the link below just happens to go to one particular size, not even sure those are the ones I got, but look around for different sizes that meet your needs. The Company is Luxeon Star LED's by Quadica, sells mostly LED's of all kinds but also sells heat sinks. I've gotten maybe 6 or 7 different sizes from them with different blade lengths and arrangements, some metal, some a hard carbon fiber I think. Some come with special 2 sided heat resistant tape, some don't, so you should also get some tape there as well to cut to the proper size. I'm generally using the ones that are 20-25mm square and 5-10mm in blade height for the transducers, depending on location and how much room I have without contacting any wires.

You can also find tons of them on Amazon, in all shapes and colors.

https://www.luxeonstar.com/25mm-squa...lpha-heat-sink
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
              Most of us have replaced to many,,, take wings off and seperate... givs u smaller part to play with... their is small bord at end of wing,, it has 2 screws... undo the 2 srcews and the retract srewss.. as u pull on the wire u will c witch wire comes off that board ,, mark it with texta or like.. rest is work but straightforward.. ya new retract plugs in to that spot.. its really not rocket sciense...... then reassemble your corsair ,,, and try again... just go back on this thread,,, and work on landing technigue.... dumb ass my spelling wrong again i think ,,,.. hav fun its a great aircraft.. flys awsome

Appreciate your feedback. I was trying to do it the lazy way w/o separating the wings. I wasn't thinking about unscrewing the board and that did make it easier. It was still tough to run the servo lead the same way it was initially. That hard plastic didn't take the turn well, so I ran it to where the other wires run and tacked the slack down with foam-tac and we're good to go.

Thanks for the info, its ready to go back up.

Comment

• Happy New Year's Eve Bent-Wing Brethren, Quick photo update on the Corsair Windscreen mods.
                I could not figure why the fwd canopy was not setting right with the sliding canopy like it had yesterday.

Turns out the shroud design is a bit long going forward; simple fix, shorten it .063" on the front edge.

Then the "Protective Glass" frame was too tall to allow the canopy bow to seat against the inside of the windscreen frame Simple fix, lower it .125".
                So there we are for 2021, all first world problems under my control are identified and soon to be resolved. Yeah, right.

Here's to all of you for patiently viewing and replying to my build posts and generally being just great people.

Best to you and yours in 2022, Steve

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Happy new year brother
                  Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                  Happy New Year's Eve Bent-Wing Brethren, Quick photo update on the Corsair Windscreen mods.
                  I could not figure why the fwd canopy was not setting right with the sliding canopy like it had yesterday.

Turns out the shroud design is a bit long going forward; simple fix, shorten it .063" on the front edge.

Then the "Protective Glass" frame was too tall to allow the canopy bow to seat against the inside of the windscreen frame Simple fix, lower it .125".
                  So there we are for 2021, all first world problems under my control are identified and soon to be resolved. Yeah, right.

Here's to all of you for patiently viewing and replying to my build posts and generally being just great people.

Comment

• Elbee that's some incredible engineering you got going on there. It's been a pleasure watching your newest baby grow. Maybe a stupid question, and maybe getting ahead of myself, but what plans do you have for the pilot? The only reason I ask is that it looks like the cross member pieces in the cockpit would interfere with a pilot. I know the answer is going to make me look like a "bone head", but at least I know my station in life and I embrace it with Gusto!

And likewise, all the best to everyone in this forum for the New Years. What a great bunch!
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                      Elbee that's some incredible engineering you got going on there. It's been a pleasure watching your newest baby grow. Maybe a stupid question, and maybe getting ahead of myself, but what plans do you have for the pilot? The only reason I ask is that it looks like the cross member pieces in the cockpit would interfere with a pilot. I know the answer is going to make me look like a "bone head", but at least I know my station in life and I embrace it with Gusto! And likewise, all the best to everyone in this forum for the New Years. What a great bunch!
                      Hugh, I will print a pilot (Max Grueter design) which will be a chapter unto itself. The cross members you see are part of the carriage design and keep all the 4 CF tube sections in alignment until the carriage is glued in place. Once that step is completed, the carriage center section and "X" bracing are cut away opening up the cockpit space. My thought is the glued parts and fuselage will maintain the alignment. That's the plan and too late to go back now. Best, Steve
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Hugh, I will print a pilot (Max Grueter design) which will be a chapter unto itself. The cross members you see are part of the carriage design and keep all the 4 CF tube sections in alignment until the carriage is glued in place. Once that step is completed, the carriage center section and "X" bracing are cut away opening up the cockpit space. My thought is the glued parts and fuselage will maintain the alignment. That's the plan and too late to go back now. Best, Steve
                        Dah, makes perfect sense, I soulda' thought of that. Whomever the famous philosopher was who stated that "There are No Stupid Questions" obviously never encountered anyone like me!
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Elbee
                          Elbee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          LOL...To requote your reference, "There are no stupid question, only stupid answers." If my answer didn't qualify as a logical reply, then it was a stupid answer. Noted: you are far from pegging the "Doh!" meter. Thanks for all the great support, Brother.

• Originally posted by Bellke View Post

Appreciate your feedback. I was trying to do it the lazy way w/o separating the wings. I wasn't thinking about unscrewing the board and that did make it easier. It was still tough to run the servo lead the same way it was initially. That hard plastic didn't take the turn well, so I ran it to where the other wires run and tacked the slack down with foam-tac and we're good to go.

Thanks for the info, its ready to go back up.
                        i just cut the leads at the servo and soldier on a connector, plug in the new one.
                        Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Excellent update as usual Elbee and Happy New Year to you, Hugh and everyone!
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                            Happy New Year's Eve Bent-Wing Brethren, Quick photo update on the Corsair Windscreen mods.

Awesome work, Elbee!! Happy New Year!!

davegee

Comment

• Corsair Connoisseurs, I have redesigned the inner forward protective glass frame and added the reflector glass for the tilted gunsight.

I am certain that my rendition isn't really accurate. Pictures of plastic models and actual photos were the references.

Even so, happily, everything fits with the OEM canopy design and all-in-all it looks the way my mind's eye sees it.

I first used my ol' fave Sobo clear fabric glue and there isn't enough surface area in the frames. It was just messy (a highly technical term) and did not hold the glass in place well.

So, I tried clear acrylic resin (SolarEZ Thin/Hard) and UV flashlight to mount all the clear glass.

The resin flows great in-between the frame and glass and looks like clear glazing up close. I still need to do a bit of clean up, but I'd certainly use this method again.

Thinking it is might be time to put all the big pieces back together. More when there is more.

Best, Steve
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• For my recently purchased Flightline F4U Corsair, I am in the process of designing and fitting aluminium tube stays to the oleo's to provide hopefully some resilience to the gear as I have read so many comments about the weakness of the struts and damage caused by hard landings and necessity of expensive multiple replacements.
                                I have not flown the plane yet so am trying to build in some insurance for expected hard landings until I get better!
                                The system will involve making fixed angled stays, similar to the ones fitted to the real plane which they obviously needed for strength (but not fixed), unfortunately this will mean flying with the gear always down which I will put up with until I can achieve smooth touch downs.
                                I hope to post some pictures of the construction when I get all the bits together, but was wondering if anyone else has tried anything similar.
                                If successful, I may try and design some form hinged stays to work with retracts even if it means removing the gear doors and associated servo mechanism

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wood View Post
                                  For my recently purchased Flightline F4U Corsair,
                                  John, Looking forward to seeing your modifications to the main landing gear. Yes, post pictures when you are able. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• All I know is when it comes time to steal Elbee's Corsair, it's going to look like something out of Ocean's 11.

My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                      All I know is when it comes time to steal Elbee's Corsair, it's going to look like something out of Ocean's 11.

Yes! Lmao!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                        All I know is when it comes time to steal Elbee's Corsair, it's going to look like something out of Ocean's 11.
                                        More like "The Thomas Crown Affair". Seriously, thanks for the warning, but you know I'd give it to you before I let anybody steal it. Best, Steve
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X