Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont think it would be much different than the other set since u would have needed to set 2 pair in tandem. I looks good to me. Do you have your serial Y harness?

You got a pretty boat....Im not lying....
    State-of-the-art PMSM/BLDC motor control solution for aerospace applications and robotics - Télega - Zubax Robotics
    Advanced Power Drives

MOTORS FOR RC SURFACE VEHICLES - NEU RACING​​​

Comment

• Haha thanks! I think she’s a looker myself LOL. I still need to figure out how to solder these fat gauge wires to a EC5 connector that I can then connect a Y EC5 serial connector to.

I reeeeeaaaaallly want to find someone local who knows RC hydros to help me with the final setup.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        Haha thanks! I think she’s a looker myself LOL. I still need to figure out how to solder these fat gauge wires to a EC5 connector that I can then connect a Y EC5 serial connector to.

I reeeeeaaaaallly want to find someone local who knows RC hydros to help me with the final setup.
        Out of the clubs I showed you which was the closest.? Ill also see what IMPBA has out your way..
        State-of-the-art PMSM/BLDC motor control solution for aerospace applications and robotics - Télega - Zubax Robotics
        Advanced Power Drives

Comment

• I think the closest club to me is in Olympia, WA...About a 2 hour drive.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Are you interested in starting a club in your area? Its not hard as you think. In IMPBA you only need 5 willing people I have to check NAMBA.
            Advanced Power Drives

Comment

• Hmm, not sure on that...I am taking a much more leisure approach to be honest.
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Just an update...

I've been in contact with the fine gents from RCunlimteds.com and been in contact with one of their members thanks to a very kind post they placed on their front page to see if any members could help me out. He's been great. Lives in Portland, OR which is only a 2 hour drive from me. Since then, I have been in contact with another guy that comes highly recommended in the RC hydro community and he's offered to help as well and he lives in Lincoln City, OR which is about the same distance.

Again Clugh I can't thank you enough for all of your assistance. It's been quite valuable to me. I'll update the thread with any major progress, video and the like.

I did get a bit of an ego boost when one of the guys that reached out who has decades of experience in the hobby said;

"That is one of the best looking models I've ever seen. I've been doing this for a long time, that thing is amazing."

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• He's telling you correct. You have a very nice boat. The Director for your District which is 8 is Jeff Barnhart
                  mbarnhart14@gmail.com

namba8.com is going to show you upcoming or event results from your areas. you dont have to race you can just go look and have a feel for things. There's no pressure to be some major competitor. I'm certainly not and don't have the time currently but Its always more fun and safer to be at the lake with someone anyways.

I do plan to get out and video a few boats with some new cooling and e-power system ideas incorporated running this year. I cant wait to see you get yours going.

The days are more and more spring so we will start building soon. Ive never had a challenge like building the 3 wing circus.

TTYS
                  Hubert​

Attached Files
                  Advanced Power Drives

Comment

• Make sure you update the thread with photos of your Circus Circus!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Experimenting with the new RunCam 6, I picked up (two)....These are the two best angles I thought for the maiden...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	402236

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	402237
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                        Make sure you update the thread with photos of your Circus Circus!
                        I plan to start a separate thread for each boat definitely but right now were all enjoying your build. Where are you going to start as far as prop?

The main thing with the Circus is there is no cowl available so I really have to build one or at least the plug for one in epoxy carbon or epoxy glass.

I also want all the wings active driven of a 6 axis from futaba . Also you have a good bit of configuring ahead with your radio. It has alot of features like telemetry etc.

Do you know if your esc is compatible with Futaba telemetry? if not its no big deal but It may be.
                        Advanced Power Drives

Comment

• Hmm, good question on the ESC telemetry thing...I'll have to dig into that. The prop according the guy that's also helping me said is a ABC cleaver prop with a 58.42 mm nominal diameter. He said the maximum NAMBA allowed prop diameter is 57 mm. A little diameter reduction is easy and that prop should work.

So today was a nice turning point. I built a stand for her and added the turn fin and rudder. I may be meeting with him next weekend willing to solder the connectors for me and get her all wrapped up for RTR! Whoo hoo! Getting close!

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (6).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	402308

Name:	unnamed (7).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	402309

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	402310

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	402311

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	402312
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• That lookin back camera will get a great shot of that first rooster tail

Comment

• To each his own BUT Im not a fan of go pro at any angle esp 1st person 😮 I like to see the entire boat around the course, not just the side of the boat and water rushing past that's all go pro shows really . Its cool but It won't be any good for accessing the running attitude because you can never see that with go pro in the first person.

I see your turn fin there, so i ask have you inquired about "tabling" the boat from one of the club members? or IW

Not trying to say your friend is wrong but I'd start with a smaller prop because no one knows that boat really until it runs but 57 mm is alot for 30,000 in a motor that size IMHO maybe im wrong but Id start at an x450. You got alot of rake there on that prop? What's the aspect ratio? x series octuras are 1.4. That props looks like an ABC with a higher AR. What is the number of that prop? You have to consider your amp draws with the props. Too big and you will smoke the ESC

If it were me I just would not jump out there with a 57mm on the maiden. The x450 or x452 octura equivalent in ABC would be a 1419 is suppose. That is just a starting point so you can get an idea of the amperage first. The reason the 1.4 is good is it medium lift if you have to much lift which higher ARut bs bring that tail of the boat can hop around and become unstable . We don't know for certain how you boat will respond and what prop it really likes. Use others note for a basis but its advisable to find good prop incrementally. The other thing to think about is the props BAR.

The wrong prop can make or break your dreams in a matter of seconds. Ask the person helping you what amps does he expect with a 58 prop at 30,000 rpm. Kinda silly they care about diameter limits because pitch is what makes the speed and you can get smaller props with alot more pitch. The boat will also corner better if you can prep a 3 blade. In the 3 blade try a X646/3 to start.

Ron Jones Jr. contracted the work to a top sailboat designer to fashion the first 3 blade cleavers in unlimited. Ironic when you consider a sailboat guy created it. Ron said he knew immediately walking into the mans shop he was in the right place for prototyping the 3 blade cleavers.

Advanced Power Drives

Comment

• All excellent info thank you! I will be bringing my boat down to him Saturday and I am sure he will know what to do...He sounds like you, lol!
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Let me clarify something when I say "They" seem silly about prop diameter Im not talking about your friend. Im talking about they as in the club rules because if all they limit is the diameter you really not limited at all for speed if that's the case. I can guarantee any NAMBA modeler from out you way knows scale boats. See what those boys put together for you. They are the real deal. Definitely take everything in he has to offer. There's some beautiful lakes and water out that way where they run too.

Check out the 1/6 scale gas conversion scene in WA because they have that out there. I'm sure the boys run it in your district.
                                  Advanced Power Drives

Comment

• One of the clubs has a race in Longview, WA on Saturday June 1st which is only an hour drive for me, so I totally plan on going to that for sure to start networking and see if I catch the "bug" lol.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Spent the weekend a couple hours south with a total gentleman who soldered all my connections together and would not accept a dime from me. The only hitch is we could not get the motor to full RPM. We calibrated the throttle with the ESC/Radio and still, just barely spins. Maybe 10% at best. We tried everything we could think of to no avail. The ruddder/servo turns fine. Everything is connected as it should be (8S in series using 8mm bullet connectors) but I'll be damned if we can't get it to full power. We adjusted end points, trim, reversed channel, everything you can think of under the Sun with no luck. One of the pros I have been talking to said ZTW ESCs "suck" and he doesn't use them anymore as 3 of them fried on him.

I was suggested to use Castle so on their suggestion I bought this ESC below which they say is excellent and one of them is going to help me wire it all up. Oh, Clugh, by the way, it's Brian! The APC prop guy! We chatted last night for over two hours. Great guy!!

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	402922
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• If you can have Brian Buass do those APC props do it. If your going to get the castle get this version its stronger but you might run 10 s lipo so think about that. The ZTW seal should work. So lets see if we can get it going. Have you done rev channel on the throttle channel?
                                        Attached Files
                                        Advanced Power Drives

Comment

Working...
                                        X