Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RC Tank Wishlist -- Tell Us What You Want To See in the RC Tank Industry

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC Tank Wishlist -- Tell Us What You Want To See in the RC Tank Industry

I may be known on this forum as an "RC Airplane" guy, but I prefer to think of myself as an "RC Everything" guy. It shouldn't be any surprise that I yearn for an RC dirigible as much as I want an RC Horten, RC Centurion, or RC Gato.

Now that we've revealed our expansion into the Tank segment of this RC Hobby we all love, I have created this thread to collect your feedback and ideas of what you'd like to see from Motion RC and our growing partner factory family.

Are you an experienced RC tanker who wants to see more cross-platform compatibility between Tamiya, Heng Long, and other IR battle systems?

Are you a scale enthusiast who has a laundry list of scale improvements to enhance existing tank models on the market?

Are you brand new to the RC tank world with new ideas that the industry may have overlooked?

Are you OV-10 who wants us to make a Bronco-Tank Hybrid next?

Our team is working directly with all our RC partners represented on MotionRC.com, from foam electric planes to gas balsa to helicopters to anything that is RC'd Motion. Trust that we have a long list we're working through already, but it's important to us to open a dialog with you, the RC tank enthusiast, to bring your feedback directly to the ears of the factories outside my door.

FIRE AWAY

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

M5A1 Stuart...

Click image for larger version

Name:	M5_paint07.jpg
Views:	1796
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	221461
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
      M5A1 Stuart...

Name:	M5_paint07.jpg
Views:	1796
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	221461
      Ooohhh. I like that one George! Was this the one you have at TIA?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

Ooohhh. I like that one George! Was this the one you have at TIA?
        Yeah, that parking place was Tammy's flower garden
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
          I may be known on this forum as an "RC Airplane" guy, but I prefer to think of myself as an "RC Everything" guy. It shouldn't be any surprise that I yearn for an RC dirigible as much as I want an RC Horten, RC Centurion, or RC Gato.

Now that we've revealed our expansion into the Tank segment of this RC Hobby we all love, I have created this thread to collect your feedback and ideas of what you'd like to see from Motion RC and our growing partner factory family.

Are you an experienced RC tanker who wants to see more cross-platform compatibility between Tamiya, Heng Long, and other IR battle systems?

Are you a scale enthusiast who has a laundry list of scale improvements to enhance existing tank models on the market?

Are you brand new to the RC tank world with new ideas that the industry may have overlooked?

Are you OV-10 who wants us to make a Bronco-Tank Hybrid next?

Our team is working directly with all our RC partners represented on MotionRC.com, from foam electric planes to gas balsa to helicopters to anything that is RC'd Motion. Trust that we have a long list we're working through already, but it's important to us to open a dialog with you, the RC tank enthusiast, to bring your feedback directly to the ears of the factories outside my door.

FIRE AWAY

I would like to see greater compatibility with the Tamiya battle systems protocols. The new 6.0 system makes great steps forward, but still is lacking what is needed to be accepted for IR battling by a lot of clubs and events. Also maybe offer as an aftermarket option a higher quality IR receiver "Apple" (as it is commonly referred to). The one that comes with the new 6.0 system is night and day better then the old Heng Long receiver, but is all but useless in direct sunlight or being able to reliably receive hits from all angles much past 35-40ft (10-12m).

Below is one of the new 6.0 Heng Long T72s (foreground) and behind it a Heng Long M41(refit with a Tamiya MFU & Battle system) at a recent IR battle day. This club is open to the limitations of the new 6.0 system as they understand its potential to bring in new player/members, but most clubs are not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5721.JPG Views:	0 Size:	231.1 KB ID:	221481
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Yeah, that parking place was Tammy's flower garden
            Wow I didn't even realize that is your house on the right!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

I would like to see greater compatibility with the Tamiya battle systems protocols. The new 6.0 system makes great steps forward, but still is lacking what is needed to be accepted for IR battling by a lot of clubs and events. Also maybe offer as an aftermarket option a higher quality IR receiver "Apple" (as it is commonly referred to). The one that comes with the new 6.0 system is night and day better then the old Heng Long receiver, but is all but useless in direct sunlight or being able to reliably receive hits from all angles much past 35-40ft (10-12m).

Below is one of the new 6.0 Heng Long T72s (foreground) and behind it a Heng Long M41(refit with a Tamiya MFU & Battle system) at a recent IR battle day. This club is open to the limitations of the new 6.0 system as they understand its potential to bring in new player/members, but most clubs are not.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5721.JPG Views:	0 Size:	231.1 KB ID:	221481
              Having never done a tank battle and only really just finding out more about RC tanks as a whole, I love the scale sets these events are using. Looks like such a hoot.I have to do this one day.

Comment

Back to the question posed. Of all these heng long tanks we got so far, I am really drawn to the Jagpanther Tank Destroyer. Despite not being a "Tank" with no turret, there is something about the look and idea of a Tank Destroyer which is really cool. There should be another one and despite it being super ugly, I'd be in for an Elefant!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	elefant.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.3 KB ID:	221533

Comment

I also like tank destroyers, and self-propelled artillery in general. Similar configuration despite vastly different missions (AT versus indirect fire support).

I'm partial to the M109A7 Paladin:

Name:	m109a7-paladin-self-propelled-howitzer.jpg
Views:	1733
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	221584

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5721.JPG Views:	0 Size:	231.1 KB ID:	221481
                    So, it sounds like Heng Long and Tamiya tanks may not be compatible for IR battles? Can anything be done to make them compatible? What is the limitation of the Heng Long that causes many clubs and events to consider them unacceptable for IR batteling?

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

So, it sounds like Heng Long and Tamiya tanks may not be compatible for IR battles? Can anything be done to make them compatible? What is the limitation of the Heng Long that causes many clubs and events to consider them unacceptable for IR batteling?
                      The two main issues are one the lack of "damage speed reduction" when hit. Each hit reduces the speed by a given % based on class. Second is the inability not to be able to set a weight class. Weight class dictates the maximum number of hits and the rate of fire a given tank has. For example a "Heavy tank" setting can be hit 9 times and can only fire once every 9 seconds. A "Medium tank" setting is 5 and 5. A "Light tank" setting is 3 and 3.

The Heng Long 6.0 IR system can receive hits from a Tamyia system and vis versa, but there is no way to set its weight class or firing rate. Currently the Heng Long 6.0 IR system is set to be able to receive 6 hit prior to being knock out, yet can fire the entire time as fast has the tank can complete a recoil cycle. This makes for a one sided fight and far to much advantage for the 6.0 Heng Long tank.

Unfortunately there are people that lack honesty enough to limit their trigger pull speed or add a few hits to adjust the total number of hits downward prior to the start of each battle. Even with Tamiya and Clark IR systems people find ways to cheat, but these advantages are far less problematic then fighting against the current 6.0 system.

Fortunately I worked with my local clubs and spent the time learning and testing the ins and outs of the Heng Long 6.0 system. As such we have a good understanding of it and when someone is being over zealous with the rate of fire or drive speeed and warn them if we see issues. We do let them have all 6 hits but require them to only run their tank on the “low power” (low speed) setting. We would rather help them learn and enjoy IR battling rather then turn them away. But MANY clubs are not this forward thinking.

Comment

We're working on ways to make Heng Long's IR Battle system operate more seamlessly with other systems such as Tamiya's. In the meantime, I set my Heng Long tank to Low Speed and take one hit before beginning the battle.

It's not perfect, but it's a start.

I agree with Rubicon also, that it's better to help others learn the IR Battle side of the RC tank hobby, rather than turn people away.

Comment

I really like the M60 Patton as well

There are sooo many that can come which is just awesome. Such collectibles.

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1707
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	222721

Comment

How about we go back to the beginning and do the very first tank the British used in WWI

Comment

Name:	FC553E6D-05B7-40A0-9A3F-70195C77FAD7.jpeg
Views:	1681
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	222798Click image for larger version

Name:	5DA3E073-5CFB-48C4-B103-15288624C0EB.jpeg
Views:	1722
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	222797
                              Hi guys, usually I live on another forum and facebook. A friend of mine Rubicon99 directed me here to help out our hobby.
                              First, Im the CO of our club 619th Tank Battalion San Diego. AKA “San Diego Rc Tank Battles” on facebook.
                              this m60a3 is one of my prides and joy. Im mostly a custom Sherman tank builder because there is Zero cold war US armor. Youve got shermans and abrams, and while I built up a Henglong Abrams, i find the Abrams a cliche tank. I love the US Armor mostly because Im American and a Guardsman.
                              My model above is a very custom mostly 3d printed kit made in the orient in short production. As far as I know Im the only one in the US that built one, and it was quite expensive and challenging to get it to work right even with my pretty extreme scratch building and mechanical skills.

The M60a3 is an awesome tank used all over the world and still in service in places. I think it would make a good marketable model with lots of modeling potential but really I think the m48a3 is even more Iconic and used just as much around the world with plenty of combat experience behind it. It is the icon of the Vietnam war and was used in the US military into the 80s.
                              I was literally in the hobby shop yesterday in the tank isle where henglong and taigen tanks are, and a guy was looking through them for an m48. I introduced myself and we hit it off, he was a tanker back in the day in 3AD. I told him no one makes an m48 so he asked about an m60 I had to tell him no to that too but there in the abrams in front of us and he passed, he settled for the m41 hoping an m48 will come out eventually. Hes joining the club and coming to our next battle.

I would litterally put up to get an m48 model like I did to get my m60a3 but theres none out there. Im building a very custom M47 Patton using a pershing chassis to start with, but there is nothing one can do to get an m48 conversion or buildable project.
                              The market really need an m48 to stare down all that Russian cold war armor.
                              Attached Files
                              RC tank parts and accessories I make
                              www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Welcome to HobbySquawk Rich! Sounds like you have some good information to contribute to the hobby. I am just learning but that M60A3 is a winner in my book. With as many tanks as Heng Long offers I am surprised this is not already available. Perhaps that will change soon.

Comment

RichJohnson Welcome home to Hobby Squawk, RichJohnson! I'm elated to see you here. I've read nearly all your posts on RCU over the years. Your M60a3 is a masterpiece. Perhaps I can twist Heng Long's ear during my next visit for something along those lines. They're only a couple hours away from me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1576266463815.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	222805

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                    RichJohnson Welcome home to Hobby Squawk, RichJohnson! I'm elated to see you here. I've read nearly all your posts on RCU over the years. Your M60a3 is a masterpiece. Perhaps I can twist Heng Long's ear during my next visit for something along those lines. They're only a couple hours away from me.

Click image for larger version Name:	1576266463815.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	222805
                                    That looks like it is intended to fit something really BIG!

Comment

Never realized that RC tanks had advanced to this level. There may have to be a Panzer on the radar.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                        Never realized that RC tanks had advanced to this level. There may have to be a Panzer on the radar.
                                        I think that in a group the IR battles would be a blast! I remember tanks when I was younger but they were nothing like these.

Comment

Working...
                                        X