Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RC Tank Wishlist -- Tell Us What You Want To See in the RC Tank Industry

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Are the metal road wheels needed with the rubber padded metal tracks on the Abrams? Also, if one got the professional version would the Mato tracks fit or would you also need the Mato sprockets? I am looking on Aliexpress as you recommended and just a bit confused.
    Yes you will need the metal road wheels because the plastic ones have to much “wobble” and the rubber padded tracks will tend to pull out from under them in turns.

The Mato tracks will work with the metal Heng Long sprockets. Now if you want the absolute BEST tracks look at a set of Tamiya Abrams tracks. They are nylon, metal and rubber padded and 1/4th the weight of Mato or DLKM tracks yet just as strong. The rubber is slightly “harder”and this allows for better ease of handling on surfaces like concrete or asphalt. The Tamiya tracks are also the most accurate in overall looks. They are NOT cheap at $250 a set but you truly get what you are paying for. Yes they work with HL sprockets.

I have used the Mato sprockets on a few Abrams and also on M41s and M26 tanks (all using both Mato and DKLM Abrams tracks). If you intend to drive in soft dirt, rough terrain, concrete or grass and make even easy turns then do not buy the Mato sprockets. Stick with the all metal Heng Long sprockets for the Abrams. These have track retaining rings that help hold the tracks on where as the Mato do not.

For looks the Mato sprockets win hands down but for best functionality the Heng Long sprockets can’t be beat.

Try also looking on EBay. Just search Heng Long Abrams sprockets and tracks. You should get a fair number of options.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Yes you will need the metal road wheels because the plastic ones have to much “wobble” and the rubber padded tracks will tend to pull out from under them in turns.

The Mato tracks will work with the metal Heng Long sprockets. Now if you want the absolute BEST tracks look at a set of Tamiya Abrams tracks. They are nylon, metal and rubber padded and 1/4th the weight of Mato or DLKM tracks yet just as strong. The rubber is slightly “harder”and this allows for better ease of handling on surfaces like concrete or asphalt. The Tamiya tracks are also the most accurate in overall looks. They are NOT cheap at $250 a set but you truly get what you are paying for. Yes they work with HL sprockets.

I have used the Mato sprockets on a few Abrams and also on M41s and M26 tanks (all using both Mato and DKLM Abrams tracks). If you intend to drive in soft dirt, rough terrain, concrete or grass and make even easy turns then do not buy the Mato sprockets. Stick with the all metal Heng Long sprockets for the Abrams. These have track retaining rings that help hold the tracks on where as the Mato do not.

For looks the Mato sprockets win hands down but for best functionality the Heng Long sprockets can’t be beat.

Try also looking on EBay. Just search Heng Long Abrams sprockets and tracks. You should get a fair number of options.
      I must be doing something wrong...I am not having much success finding the Tamiya tracks anywhere. I even bombed looking on eBay for Heng Long sprockets and tracks...

Comment

I must be doing something wrong...I am not having much success finding the Tamiya tracks anywhere. I even bombed looking on eBay for Heng Long sprockets and tracks...
        For Tamiya tracks try Tamiya.com under 1/16 tanks and look up Abrams spare parts. Or AAF museum and look in their store section under 1/16 Tamiya tanks and then look for Tamiya Abrams spare parts.

The sprockets and tracks can also be found at Tucan Hobbies, Aliexpress.com or DLKM RC.

Note the track price below is for one side not both. You need to order two for a full set.

Click image for larger version

Name:	80AF2797-21E3-4B28-A845-33828DBA15EA.png
Views:	613
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	238029
        Attached Files

Comment

For Tamiya tracks try Tamiya.com under 1/16 tanks and look up Abrams spare parts. Or AAF museum and look in their store section under 1/16 Tamiya tanks and then look for Tamiya Abrams spare parts.

The sprockets and tracks can also be found at Tucan Hobbies, Aliexpress.com or DLKM RC.

Note the track price below is for one side not both. You need to order two for a full set.

Name:	80AF2797-21E3-4B28-A845-33828DBA15EA.png
Views:	613
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	238029
          Excellent information. Thank you. Would the Tamiya tracks be better suited with the metal/rubber road wheels or the plastic ones?

Comment

Excellent information. Thank you. Would the Tamiya tracks be better suited with the metal/rubber road wheels or the plastic ones?
            The plastic road wheels on the Abrams should be replaced for best all around performance and running reliability.

Comment

• So am I getting this right? The Abrams Pro (which comes with metal/rubber road wheels and metal HL sprockets) with Tamiya tracks, 390 red motors and drive shaft bearing supports would be a good combination in your opinion? I appreciate all the input you have been providing to the forum.

Comment

So am I getting this right? The Abrams Pro (which comes with metal/rubber road wheels and metal HL sprockets) with Tamiya tracks, 390 red motors and drive shaft bearing supports would be a good combination in your opinion? I appreciate all the input you have been providing to the forum.
                Yes it should make for an excellent all around modern tank with at least twice the performance and ruggedness of the stock tank. But you will need to ensure proper track tension which is easy with the new 6.0 Abrams and a high mah battery. 390 motors are like supercharged big block V8s and you will have two of them!!!

There are a few other little things like adjusting the suspension springs but these can wait until you get the rest built up first.

Comment

Yes it should make for an excellent all around modern tank with at least twice the performance and ruggedness of the stock tank. But you will need to ensure proper track tension which is easy with the new 6.0 Abrams and a high mah battery. 390 motors are like supercharged big block V8s and you will have two of them!!!

There are a few other little things like adjusting the suspension springs but these can wait until you get the rest built up first.
                  Ok, it is all ordered. I will inquire about adjusting the suspension springs when it is all together. Thanks!

Comment

• Alpha,
                    Did you say in another thread that there are Professional 'Plus' versions of a few tanks on the way? I think it was the Abrams and T-90, and perhaps more? If I am correct, these are going to be mostly all metal?

If so, when would they be available?

Besides all metal versions, I'd like to see HL bring out an M-60a3, a Centurian, Chieftan and leopard 1A4

Comment

• Davy101 Yes, I discuss the potential Pro Plus series in my Abrams Pro Plus thread. We're still evaluating the series and haven't made any final decisions yet. So far I've trialed the Abrams Pro Plus and T-90 Pro Plus, but they're not yet ready for prime time and may not be until much later in the year. I don't think they'd compete with the existing Pro version though -- the Pro Plus may retail north of $800-$1,000 depending on configuration so it's a very different animal.

I like your tank choices, by the way!
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Has motion considered stocking aftermarket parts, or is that not really in your wheel house?

Metal tracks etc. are obvious ones but other stuff like MFCBs can be a bit of a minefield in terms of comparability and functionality.

Main item on my wishlist for the factory gear is an ability to connect my own receiver. Can you imagine what these things could do with open tx running the show!

Comment

• mshagg Thanks for your feedback on the receiver!

Yes, we do plan on stocking aftermarket parts to support both Heng Long RTRs and the wider world of RC Tanks. When we do something, we tend to go all in. Just give us a bit of time. If there is any specific aftermarket product you'd like to see us stock and support sooner rather than later, let us know in this thread!
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I think it's more about the curation process for the parts you list.

If motion stocks a product then you know it's a good bet, and yourself and others probably have first hand experience with it. Motion's product descriptions always have that personal touch (compared with most sites which just list the manufacturer's copy, spelling mistakes and all lol).

Comment

• Aftermarket tensioners, and functionality upgrades(stuff like metal suspension arms, stiffer springs) like that would be first on my list, then after that, like we had discussed in your KT build thread, scale metal detail bits like the headlights, ATAK zimmerit kits I think would be awesome as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
                                Aftermarket tensioners, and functionality upgrades(stuff like metal suspension arms, stiffer springs) like that would be first on my list, then after that, like we had discussed in your KT build thread, scale metal detail bits like the headlights, ATAK zimmerit kits I think would be awesome as well.
                                Almost all the new 6.0 tanks now come with track tensioning idler wheels and metal suspension arms. All but a few Heng Long tanks have always had the ability built in to set the spring to a higher/stiffer setting. One just had to know about it and how to do it as it was not widely publicized. It is super easy!!!!

Comment

• Happy day! My Armored friends arrived early today!

Name:	IMG_0312.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	238710

Comment

• Originally posted by borntoolate View Post
                                    Happy day! My Armored friends arrived early today!

Name:	IMG_0312.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	238710
                                    DAG!!! That is a beautiful sight!

Comment

• The Sherman will shoot the farthest!

Comment

• As to the question in the first post in this thread.

I have been in the RC hobbys for over 30 years. I had gas, glow and electric airplanes, helicopters, ships, tanks, and scale semi trucks.

I'm also a member of Texas Armor Association group and we battle once a month with out tanks.

I have two RC tanks. 1. Tamiya Tiger. 2. HL Sherman Pro with the TK6.0 board.

Issues I have with the HL tanks.

1. Sun shade should be included. Minor issue as I have made my own and show others how to make them.
                                        2. Lack of barrel flash. Good to see how I can fix that and I will shortly on my Sherman. I also understand supporting the BB firing guys so I get it.
                                        3. Lack being able to change hit recording (less hits to kill a sherman, more hits to kill a M1A1) This really bugs me and effects my buying of more HL tanks.
                                        4. Time between shots The whole quick fire rate is a problem for people that do RC battles. You need to be able to set the fire rate based on the tank class. The lack of this one feature will keep me from buying any more HL tanks.

Good things I like about the HL Tanks

1 Cost, $250 for a RTR tank rocks and I hope it will get others in to the hobby
                                        2. They drive really well. The sherman steering and throttle are both smoother then on my Tamiya Tiger.
                                        3. They look really nice out of the box and even better with the details added.

One tank I would like to see made that no one else makes is the Merkava Mk.4

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudinater View Post
                                          As to the question in the first post in this thread.

I have been in the RC hobbys for over 30 years. I had gas, glow and electric airplanes, helicopters, ships, tanks, and scale semi trucks.

I'm also a member of Texas Armor Association group and we battle once a month with out tanks.

I have two RC tanks. 1. Tamiya Tiger. 2. HL Sherman Pro with the TK6.0 board.

Issues I have with the HL tanks.

1. Sun shade should be included. Minor issue as I have made my own and show others how to make them.
                                          2. Lack of barrel flash. Good to see how I can fix that and I will shortly on my Sherman. I also understand supporting the BB firing guys so I get it.
                                          3. Lack being able to change hit recording (less hits to kill a sherman, more hits to kill a M1A1) This really bugs me and effects my buying of more HL tanks.
                                          4. Time between shots The whole quick fire rate is a problem for people that do RC battles. You need to be able to set the fire rate based on the tank class. The lack of this one feature will keep me from buying any more HL tanks.

Good things I like about the HL Tanks

1 Cost, $250 for a RTR tank rocks and I hope it will get others in to the hobby
                                          2. They drive really well. The sherman steering and throttle are both smoother then on my Tamiya Tiger.
                                          3. They look really nice out of the box and even better with the details added.

One tank I would like to see made that no one else makes is the Merkava Mk.4
                                          All good points that have been brought up a number of times. If you haven’t take a look at the thread “IR Battle Systems?....Heng Long vs Tamiya”. I just bumped it to page one of the forum.

Please feel free to add your thought to it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X