Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The world of RC Tanks has become a group sport. One tank alone is not as fun as 20 tanks in combat. It combines alot of different angles of hobby interest like RC operation, mechanical modifications for performance tuning, military tactics, modeling detail quality, and most of all camaraderie.
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

RC tanks...cool.

However, in reality, not for me...unless I can install one of those IR battle systems in a FW A-10.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post
        RC tanks...cool.

However, in reality, not for me...unless I can install one of those IR battle systems in a FW A-10.

Sean
        Yes there are ways to install a compatible IR system on a plane or helicopter. But engaging ground targets could only be done on really BIG open fields due to the speeds involved and you would be an easy target for return fire. What keeps tanks from getting hit is "cover" that blocks the IR beams (cone). I have seen it done with "attack helicopters" aka drones and it was a disappointing showing for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

Are you OV-10 who wants us to make a Bronco-Tank Hybrid next?[/I]

Decided to beat him to the punch. When will this upgrade be available?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AntonovA40.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	223173

And when do we get a C-5 or C-17 to transport the new tanks in?

Comment

Given the shenanigans that the FAA has been pulling, branching off like this is a good idea, especially since "they who shall not be named" doesn't do tanks.
            But I still want an F-100 or my Valkyrie.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Yes there are ways to install a compatible IR system on a plane or helicopter. But engaging ground targets could only be done on really BIG open fields due to the speeds involved and you would be an easy target for return fire. What keeps tanks from getting hit is "cover" that blocks the IR beams (cone). I have seen it done with "attack helicopters" aka drones and it was a disappointing showing for them.
              And you'd need an FPV system to do it right.

Comment

Valkpilot Noted on all four, and thanks for the inspiration for that tankoplane, I think I just found my next project! ​​​​​​

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

A possible thought came to me later, but wouldn't the generated smoke also diffuse the IR signal?

Comment

The exhaust effect is not dense enough on a consistent bases to obscure the IR apple at the top of the turret. It diffuses rather quickly, especially outdoors in the slightest breeze. Also, at least for myself, I don't run the smoker during an IR battle since the additional motor saps runtime. What *would* mess with the IR apple is smokebomb-type materials, which are much denser. We've used them a couple times here but I'm unsure if Rubicon99 and RichJohnson use them in the States. They tend to obscure the battlefield for everyone, and aren't much fun. I'd think that isolated pots would be more fun for sporadic "field dressing".

Comment

The exhaust effect is not dense enough on a consistent bases to obscure the IR apple at the top of the turret. It diffuses rather quickly, especially outdoors in the slightest breeze. Also, at least for myself, I don't run the smoker during an IR battle since the additional motor saps runtime. What *would* mess with the IR apple is smokebomb-type materials, which are much denser. We've used them a couple times here but I'm unsure if Rubicon99 and RichJohnson use them in the States. They tend to obscure the battlefield for everyone, and aren't much fun. I'd think that isolated pots would be more fun for sporadic "field dressing".
                      Pyrotechnics (of all types) have been and are used in IR battling and can add quite visually to the experience. It is the “holy grail” to be able to have them at an event but they create a lot of extra work to ensure safe use so are not often seen. Sometimes electronics that simulate an explosive flash and sound have been used, but due to the difficulty for many people to make from scratch and the high cost are sporadic in use. For safety reasons I prefer the electric simulations vs other methods as electronics provide both the visuals
                      enhancing experience and are safe.

Comment

Rubicon99 is correct. The LA Tank club CO has a GI Tank Smoker in stalled in an ammo can that is set in a building. Its one of the larger ones they market more for boats than tanks due to size. I have a unused Henglong Sherman with nothing but gear boxes in it that I have been contemplating doing the same with a smoker, as well as try to maybe add flickering red and orange LEDs to shine in the smoke. Nothing lights up a battlefield like a good burning sherman hulk lol.

Comment

My understanding was that Heng Long was going to have Barrel Recoil with their NEW TK6 radio system, don't see it on the New Motion RC tanks. The shuttering has been around a long time, shut it off and get the real deal, barrel recoil.

Comment

Scaleman3 You bring up a good point, which deserves extra emphasis and clarification. I have all of Heng Long's TK6-equipped tanks, and I've been working directly with the factory, at the factory, throughout the year. So far, Heng Long has updated 16 of their 24 tanks with TK6.0/TK6.1/TK6.0S MFCBs (collectively referred "TK6"). The other 8 tanks are still in the process of being updated. When they are available in TK6, then we will order them.

ALL the TK6 tanks, in all editions (Original, Upgrade, Upgrade-A, Professional), have "Track recoil". Track recoil shudders the tracks rearward for a split second when you fire the main gun, to somewhat simulate the force of firing. For the TK6, this "track recoil" effect is now adjustable in four levels, that are programmed by tapping two buttons from the radio. I prefer the Low setting or Mid setting. The Mid High and High settings are far too unrealistic to my eyes. I think it's an improvement that Heng Long now enables users to select the amount of Track Recoil. The Lowest setting is barely perceptible, almost Off. The advantage of the TK6's implementation is that the firing sound, airsoft BB firing, and track recoil are all synchronized to happen at the exact same moment.

Only the TK6 Professional editions sold at MotionRC. Com of the Tiger I, Leopard 2A6, M1A2 Abrams, King Tiger, T-34/85, and Panther G have "Cannon" recoil. "Cannon recoil" is a completely different feature from "Track recoil". "Cannon Recoil" uses a separate motor in the turret to move the cannon barrel rearward to simulate the actual barrel recoiling during the firing sequence. This feature is limited to only a few of HL's tanks for three reasons: 1) The mechanism required can only fit in certain tanks, 2) Not all tanks have visibly recoiling barrels, 3) Added cost and complexity.

In practice, I have found that the "Cannon recoil" is a nice-to-have, but not a need-to-have, because in practice, there is a necessary delay between the airsoft BB firing and the barrel recoil, so it is not like the Track Recoil (which perfectly synchronizes the firing sound, airsoft BB firing, and track recoil to happen at the exact same moment. Due to how HL's system is designed, the barrel begins to retract slowly before the main cannon firing sound plays. This is because HL's airsoft system needs just under one second to compress the spring which produces the burst of air that propels the BB out of the barrel. During this time, the barrel is already retracting. This is the compromise to having a barrel that both shoots and airsoft BB and recoils.

There are of course more advanced MFCBs that users can install that use servos to drive instantaneous recoil effects, but they don't fire an airsoft BB, and of course they cost much, much more than an off-the-shelf Heng Long. I have a thread here on Squawk where I'm evaluating two MFCBs that fall into that category, in fact, where I'll be comparing it to my electronics from Tamiya and Clark. Subscribe there and stay tuned!

Comment

I can make almost anything recoil with a servo....

Now, Alpha, I swear when I saw the green cammo Abrams 6.0 this guy was driving, his tank had gun recoil, it was two months ago but it really impressed me so I swear I saw it unless you are sure the abrams does not have it.

Comment

The TK6 Abrams Professional Edition does have barrel recoil in addition to track recoil. I edited my info above.

Comment

Scaleman3
                                  Only the TK6 Professional versions of the Tiger I, Leopard 2A6, M1A2 Abrams, T-34/85, and Panther G have "Cannon" recoil. "Cannon recoil" is a completely different feature from "Track recoil". "Cannon Recoil" uses a separate motor in the turret to move the cannon barrel rearward to simulate the actual barrel recoiling during the firing sequence. This feature is limited to only a few of HL's tanks for three reasons: 1) The mechanism required can only fit in certain tanks, 2) Not all tanks have visibly recoiling barrels, 3) Added cost and complexity.
                                  Is the King Tiger you will be selling going to include this feature?

Also - one of my buddies and soon to be battle colleague, asked about a T-34. Reading some of its history, it was quite the game changer in its day.

Comment

A few off the top of my head, M3 Stuart/Honey, Pz.II (if possible at 1/16), British Crusader I/II/III, A-13, Churchill, Valentine, BT5 and BT7. Marders, Wespe, Hummel - oh, SO many! One of the biggest things would be appropriate tank crew figures, not just commanders - loaders, drivers, riders, etc.
                                    Tarasdad

Comment

Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post

Is the King Tiger you will be selling going to include this feature?

Also - one of my buddies and soon to be battle colleague, asked about a T-34. Reading some of its history, it was quite the game changer in its day.
                                      The new 6.0 T34 is a rather rugged r/c tank, I think your friend will like it. I just did a build / review on one which is posted here on HobbySquawk. Have him give it a look and if either of you have question about fun ways to battle the tanks just ask either myself "Rubicon99" or "RichJohnson" we can help with ideas to make the action more realistic.

Comment

Jdcrow I just got back from the factory, and can now confirm for the first time that they were able to implement the barrel recoil into the Professional Edition of the King Tiger. We'll be the first to carry these!

Comment

Bigger. Metal. That is all.

I have a Henglomg Jagdpanther which I modified in various ways and made FPV

Comment

Working...
                                          X