X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keilau View Post
    I found Kenny Kong's website. The Leopard 2A6 metal track is $150 plus shipping which could be very expensive too. DKLM has a track for only $80. It may be good enough if it does not have the Mato problem.
    DKLM tracks have an excellent performance record. Tamiya tracks are even better and cost about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
      Rubicon is right; we took our time in 2019 and 2020 to test a few different "red motor" suppliers with input from HL and other persons/sources. I know of at least six suppliers.

Of the ones we tested, there was a wide variation of performance and value, even to the point that we were advised to specifically avoid certain suppliers, citing concerns over performance, value, materials, consistency, availability, or a combination of all of the above. As with all our products, we selected the red motor supplier that best fit the balance we intended to achieve between those and other aspects.
      I bit on a couple, ya'll shipped them out today....Let's see how they will do in the Bulldog.....On to more important things: When will the Torro stuff be in stock? ETA? That Jagdtiger is high on my want list, and I'm the worlds greatest impulse shopper..

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

DKLM tracks have an excellent performance record. Tamiya tracks are even better and cost about the same.
        A Tamiya track for the German Leopard 2A6 is on its way to me from AAF, total $104. Thank you for sharing your insight.

Comment

A Tamiya track for the German Leopard 2A6 is on its way to me from AAF, total $104. Thank you for sharing your insight.
          Then you got the last pair!!!! AAF is now out of stock and has no time line to when they will have more.

Comment

Then you got the last pair!!!! AAF is now out of stock and has no time line to when they will have more.
            He sure did. I waited too long and guess I will go with the DKLM ones. Speaking of missed opportunity, I received a pair of red motors with jst from Toucan on Saturday. One of them failed to start, though it would start spinning if one helped to spin the pinion, off to wait for a replacement now.

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post

He sure did. I waited too long and guess I will go with the DKLM ones. Speaking of missed opportunity, I received a pair of red motors with jst from Toucan on Saturday. One of them failed to start, though it would start spinning if one helped to spin the pinion, off to wait for a replacement now.
              Alas, I celebrated too early. I just got the AAF email to inform me that my order was cancelled. They confirmed my order 2 days ago so I am not sure what happened. Anyway, I am back to square one.

Comment

Alas, I celebrated too early. I just got the AAF email to inform me that my order was cancelled. They confirmed my order 2 days ago so I am not sure what happened. Anyway, I am back to square one.
                And I thought you scored one for us. I tried ordering over the weekend and it wouldn't go through after clicking place order, reached out to AAF on Monday and was told that they didn't stock these and looked like it has been discontinued. I might just go ahead and get the DKLM ones, they are out of the Abrams so I will just get the Leo's.

Guess I can wait for the motor, have plenty of time to pull all the metal wheels & arms to paint, and probably weather the crude HL metal tracks for the time being.

Comment

And I thought you scored one for us. I tried ordering over the weekend and it wouldn't go through after clicking place order, reached out to AAF on Monday and was told that they didn't stock these and looked like it has been discontinued. I might just go ahead and get the DKLM ones, they are out of the Abrams so I will just get the Leo's.

Guess I can wait for the motor, have plenty of time to pull all the metal wheels & arms to paint, and probably weather the crude HL metal tracks for the time being.
                  I would have ordered my Leopard track from DKLM if they provide the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium Size box shipping option like AAF does. A metal track is heavy, but relatively compact in size. Flat Rate Priority Mail box is the fastest and cheapest way to ship. I am puzzled that DKLM would not do it. They have only one expensive shipping method.

Comment

I would have ordered my Leopard track from DKLM if they provide the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium Size box shipping option like AAF does. A metal track is heavy, but relatively compact in size. Flat Rate Priority Mail box is the fastest and cheapest way to ship. I am puzzled that DKLM would not do it. They have only one expensive shipping method.
                    DLKM is in Hong Kong not the US. They don’t have the option for USPS. Their shipping though is reasonably fast coming from Asia.

Comment

DLKM is in Hong Kong not the US. They don’t have the option for USPS. Their shipping though is reasonably fast coming from Asia.
                      Make sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Now, it makes more sense to wait for the Tamiya track to come back to stock. I don't think that Tamiya is leaving the 1/16 tank business anytime soon.

I remember that good old days (2004 era) where I could get 1/16 scale metal parts was from Germany. Not only the postage is high. The postal service from Germany to US was much, much slower than from Hong Kong.

Comment

My CROWS from DKLM took 5 weeks......not exactly breaking land speed records. As long as they ship Hong Kong Post, there not getting any more of my money.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post

My CROWS from DKLM took 5 weeks......not exactly breaking land speed records. As long as they ship Hong Kong Post, there not getting any more of my money.
                          While waiting for Toucan to ship me a replacement red motor from China (they ran out US stock at the time), I went ahead and ordered a pair of reds from MotionRC. Order was placed on Monday, these were shipped out from IL and I got them in the Abrams on Saturday, they seem to run just fine by eyeballing. Under $25 shipped, comparable to fleabay.

Comment

While waiting for Toucan to ship me a replacement red motor from China (they ran out US stock at the time), I went ahead and ordered a pair of reds from MotionRC. Order was placed on Monday, these were shipped out from IL and I got them in the Abrams on Saturday, they seem to run just fine by eyeballing. Under $25 shipped, comparable to fleabay.
                            I like them as well.....

I got a wild hair and installed the Ultimate Edition II Gearbox & Motors.....been rainy all day, so havn't had the chance to give it a shakedown..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_102005.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	312930

Comment

Be interested in your feedback on the ED setup.

Comment

The Red Motor (Heng Xin gearbox) I tested stabilized in 15 minutes and did not go 19°F above ambient. I expect the Admiral 390 to do equally well or better.

Running at 25,000 rpm, the 390 motor should be considered a precision instrument that should be tested individually during manufacturing. A slight imbalance may result in friction that can cause the motor to overheat quickly. Even the biggest Heng Long tank seller was suspected of shipping "fake" red motor which may just be a defective motor. We do not need precision thermocouple to do the testing after purchase, our figure tip is sensitive enough to tell whether the motor overheats.

Some of the 380 knockoffs have very poorly designed cooling fan or leave it off completely. The Heng Long grey 380 is one example. It runs fairly warm, but is still safe to use if it is not defective. A genuine surplus Mubachi RS-380PH motor will run much cooler.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	380-390casetemp_pershing.jpg Views:	6 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	313257
                                In this plot, HL stock is the HL grey 380. I also tested the Mubachi RS-380PH-3270 (a 15 volts rated motor) with a 3S Li-Po at 12 volts. It gets fairly warm too. Both stabilized at 40°F above ambient. With the HL steel gearbox (non ball bearing) on a M26 Pershing RC tank, the 3S Li-Po has too much vibration for my taste. I did not test with the Heng Xin gearbox with 3S. I decided to use the Mubachi RS-380PH-3270 with the Heng Xin gearbox and a 2S Li-Io battery. It gives me plenty of torque and the best drive quality and the motors run cool.

Comment

Some of the 380 knockoffs have very poorly designed cooling fan or leave it off completely. The Heng Long grey 380 is one example. It runs fairly warm, but is still safe to use if it is not defective. A genuine surplus Mubachi RS-380PH motor will run much cooler.
                                  Click image for larger version Name:	380-390casetemp_pershing.jpg Views:	6 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	313257
                                  In this plot, HL stock is the HL grey 380. I also tested the Mubachi RS-380PH-3270 (a 15 volts rated motor) with a 3S Li-Po at 12 volts. It gets fairly warm too. Both stabilized at 40°F above ambient. With the HL steel gearbox (non ball bearing) on a M26 Pershing RC tank, the 3S Li-Po has too much vibration for my taste. I did not test with the Heng Xin gearbox with 3S. I decided to use the Mubachi RS-380PH-3270 with the Heng Xin gearbox and a 2S Li-Io battery. It gives me plenty of torque and the best drive quality and the motors run cool.
                                  I am looking for a source for 2x Mabuchi RS-380PH-4045 motor. Judging from the rpm at 7.2 volts DC, I believe HL use a knockoff of this model. Since HL do not test or spec their motors, it is just a guess.

I want something that runs cool at 15000 rpm, but no faster than 20000 rpm when connected to a 2S Lithium battery. The internet seems to have sold out on surplus Mabuchi RS-380PH-4045. The Tamiya RS-380PH by Mabuchi fits the bill, but is being sold from Japan for almost $30 a piece.

There are too many version of Henglong blue motor 380 on e-bay selling from $7 to $18 each. It is not practical to buy all of them to test it out.

Comment

I am looking for a source for 2x Mabuchi RS-380PH-4045 motor. Judging from the rpm at 7.2 volts DC, I believe HL use a knockoff of this model. Since HL do not test or spec their motors, it is just a guess.

I want something that runs cool at 15000 rpm, but no faster than 20000 rpm when connected to a 2S Lithium battery. The internet seems to have sold out on surplus Mabuchi RS-380PH-4045. The Tamiya RS-380PH by Mabuchi fits the bill, but is being sold from Japan for almost $30 a piece.

There are too many version of Henglong blue motor 380 on e-bay selling from $7 to $18 each. It is not practical to buy all of them to test it out.
                                    You can find the Tamiya “380” motors at TamiyaUSA.com under the 1/16 tank parts. Look at the Sheridan spare parts and you will find the motors. Granted you will have to change the leads but I suspect that will not be a problem for you.

Comment

You can find the Tamiya “380” motors at TamiyaUSA.com under the 1/16 tank parts. Look at the Sheridan spare parts and you will find the motors. Granted you will have to change the leads but I suspect that will not be a problem for you.
                                      Rubicon99, thank you for the tip. I hope that the TamiyaUSA 380 is the Tamiya RS-380PH by Mabuchi, but I am not optimistic about my chance. The 1/16 scale Sheridan is a static model, thus, has no RC parts. I found one 380 motor at the TamiyaUSA.com site which has no specs. I ordered a pair to find out what it is and cross my figures. I have written Tamiya technical support to verify my purchase. The picture below is NOT from TamiyaUSA.com, but from Amazon.
                                      https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-dig...or-43501/none/
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	mabuchi_rs380ph-tamiya.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	313687 Click image for larger version

Name:	mabuchi_rs380ph-tamiya-2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	313688
                                      I have tested 14 Mabuchi RS-380 from e-bay or amazon. Most of them are too slow. Some with the RS-380SH designation cannot take anything higher that a 1S battery and will high up rapidly.

Comment

Rubicon99, thank you for the tip. I hope that the TamiyaUSA 380 is the Tamiya RS-380PH by Mabuchi, but I am not optimistic about my chance. The 1/16 scale Sheridan is a static model, thus, has no RC parts. I found one 380 motor at the TamiyaUSA.com site which has no specs. I ordered a pair to find out what it is and cross my figures. I have written Tamiya technical support to verify my purchase. The picture below is NOT from TamiyaUSA.com, but from Amazon.
                                        https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-dig...or-43501/none/
                                        Click image for larger version Name:	mabuchi_rs380ph-tamiya.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	313687 Click image for larger version

Name:	mabuchi_rs380ph-tamiya-2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	313688
                                        I have tested 14 Mabuchi RS-380 from e-bay or amazon. Most of them are too slow. Some with the RS-380SH designation cannot take anything higher that a 1S battery and will high up rapidly.
                                        You looked at the static Sheridan not the R/C Sheridan. I assure you the RC version has 380 motors available for it. I own the r/c version of the Tamiya Sheridan that is how I know there are spare motors. I ordered two extra for “down the road” usage.

Comment

You looked at the static Sheridan not the R/C Sheridan. I assure you the RC version has 380 motors available for it. I own the r/c version of the Tamiya Sheridan that is how I know there are spare motors. I ordered two extra for “down the road” usage.
                                          Thanks again for the update which is very helpful. I found the R/C Sheridan product page and manual. The motor definitely looks like what I want. But the picture only shows part of the motor parts ID which like the same as the Tamiya Grasshopper motor.
                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Tamiya_Shridon-gearbox.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	313762
                                          So, I went to e-bay again and found a pair of the Tamiya Grasshopper 380 motor. Between these 2 pairs, I am more hopeful now. They could be all the same and good for the HL tank. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                          X