X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

RMBTX, The best you can do is print canopies in clear ABS and go through the polishing process like on any clear plastic part. PLA prints clearer in the beginning but doesn't polish well. In terms of a perfectly clear 3DP objects, you're dealing with an abundance of 'refraction' due to the layers, so prints will never be perfectly clear. If your clear parts are not structural like with the 3DLabs F-86 canopy (See pics in this thread) you could use an ABS 'print' in any color as a form to vacuum-form the canopy. Well done on this project by the way. :Cool:Best, LB

Thanks brother, cant wait to see how the F86 comes out when you finish it :Cool:

Comment

• Well I got my Fusion 360 loaded last night. Going to do a few tutorials they provide in the next few days. I'm wondering if you can create these print files using AutoCad. I'm pretty fluent with AutoCad.

However I did find a site last night called Grab-Cad. It's a free sign up to access their stuff. Literally millions of rendering files just for the down load. I found this. This is a very detailed F-100 Super Sabre. If I remember right, we should be able to import this to Fusion 360, and begin making it flight ready. Lot of work there, don't kid ourselves. But very do able with a little time investment.

So this weekend I'm going to do some tutorials on Fusion, and see if I can get this file into the editor, and begin editing it for making a 90mm EDF.

They're many, many more potential flyable models there in Grab-Cad. I looked at quite a few, but this one really stands out. There is some French Aerospace engineer that did this, so it makes it good enough for me, LOL.

So we have to figure out how to break this down, add the necessary structural re-enforcement, Mod it for a EDF, and other stuff. Looks like I got a new Job. LOL

Woody

PS, if you go to the Grab-Cad site, and look at this. Use the explode view function. Gawd this is the F-100 Holy Grail!

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
        Here she is! The wheel bolts i bought were a tad short, so will need to buy little longer ones, and the seats and instrument panels are on the machine now. I've also made it take down capable, so storage and transport wont be a problem. Instead of the wrap around wire they used i made removable clips for the struts. They do work very well. All in all im happy with how this turned out. :)
        That turned out great! Just don't do this (turn sound on).

Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
          That turned out great! Just don't do this (turn sound on).

I watched that 6 times, LOL.

Woody

Comment

• Dooooh!!!! Airplane magnet!!!! ;):P

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
              I'm just wondering how long to design a nice bird for printing? Guess I'll find out.

I do have a little of experience in this area. We'll see how it goes. : )
              Hey Woody, not sure if you saw, but I have a build log in the "Hangar" sub-forum for an A330 I have bend designing for 3D printing. I am not a fan of how 3DLabPrint designs their planes, so I am attempting my own, and it will be in ABS so no worries about sun or heat damage.

If you do plan on designing it similar to the 3DLab method, they use a slicer "trick" to get the outer thin skin and the sturdier internal structures. Basically each part is made up of 2 separate objects. The outer object gives you the 1-perimeter thin skin, and you need to tell the slicing program to print no top or bottom layers, and zero infill. The second object is the internal structure. Another thing is that the internal structure is offset from the outer skin by a very small amount, this is to preserve the finish of the outer skin, but it is still close enough to bond to the skin.

Also, here is some inspiration for you. Some designs other hobbyists have been working on. The Ercoupe and EL-39 are operational

Comment

• Hi guys

I bought a xyz3d pro-3-1 printer this past spring and having issues. I can not get cura to work with it. it says not compatible with it. So I spent 150$ on simplify3d with the same results. So I bought an ender3 both software works for that one no problem. Does anyone have some settings to get my xyz to work cura just does not recognize it? Trying to print out some 3d labs planes and no go yet. The ender3 no issues just have to get rid of the stringing and get rid of the gap between each line. Thanks

Comment

• dirty dee

do you have the files for the ercoupe ?? I really like that one or the pipper tomahawk last plane designed with the bubble canopy. I love the slogan when the aircoupe came out!! "this plane is so easy a lady can fly it! No rudder pedals so it was tethered in on the yoke. So I do not think that the slogan would be too good today. But hope you can let me know for the file. Thanks

Comment

• bradl4648 the designer has mentioned that he is planning to release the files very soon, he is just putting some final touches on the build manual. It will be released at this site:

At Lofted Aero, we design detailed and high-performance R/C aircraft that you can download and build yourself with a desktop 3D printer.

Edit: looks like he will release it Jan 1st to simplify taxes.

Comment

• Did some research on 3d printers. I bought the Creality Ender 3. At $314.95 and free shipping I thought was reasonable. A company called 3D Printing Canada, supplies them. Hopefully it arrives undamaged.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
                        Did some research on 3d printers. I bought the Creality Ender 3. At $314.95 and free shipping I thought was reasonable. A company called 3D Printing Canada, supplies them. Hopefully it arrives undamaged.
                        You should like the Ender 3.

You have to keep an eye on it while it prints because if there is a flaw in the file, it can fill the build plate with lots of curled very fine filament.

See the YouTube videos on the printer especially Ender 3 upgrades videos such as:
                        Here are some very easy and useful upgrades to make your Ender 3 even better! LINKS:Join our Dragonlock Facebook group for help with 3D printing Dragonlock m...

and
                        Ender 3 $169 with code GENDER3 https://goo.gl/E5PkhiEnder 3 Pro $259 with code GBEnder3Pro https://goo.gl/w87tTqAlfawise U20 $279 with code AlfawiseU20GB2 ht...

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post

Hey Woody, not sure if you saw, but I have a build log in the "Hangar" sub-forum for an A330 I have bend designing for 3D printing. I am not a fan of how 3DLabPrint designs their planes, so I am attempting my own, and it will be in ABS so no worries about sun or heat damage.

If you do plan on designing it similar to the 3DLab method, they use a slicer "trick" to get the outer thin skin and the sturdier internal structures. Basically each part is made up of 2 separate objects. The outer object gives you the 1-perimeter thin skin, and you need to tell the slicing program to print no top or bottom layers, and zero infill. The second object is the internal structure. Another thing is that the internal structure is offset from the outer skin by a very small amount, this is to preserve the finish of the outer skin, but it is still close enough to bond to the skin.

Also, here is some inspiration for you. Some designs other hobbyists have been working on. The Ercoupe and EL-39 are operational
                          Thanks for the pointers Dee. Yea how is that plane coming along? Any progress? I'm going to order a 3D printer after all the Holiday Madness. Haven't really settled on which one just yet. I, like you don't see 100% why those guys design things quite like they do. There planes seem to fly, so they can't be all wrong. We'll see.

What software are you using Dee? I just installed Fusion yesterday, looks to seem useful, but I guess time will tell. I was planning to use a much more traditional structural under laying. Going to try to get this F-100 model into the fusion editor, and start playing with it.

I would very much like to have a calibration with folks like yourself and Rman. I'm just sick and tired of being at the mercy of what models are picked for us by the manufacturers. I thinks it's time to break away from their choices, and start making our own. This Tech. and venue may make this possible, at least I'm hoping.

Best Regards
                          Woody

Comment

• Done did that with my A10 lmao! And im learning alot every day with my printer

Comment

• Ya have been an inspiration mate.

Woody

Comment

• Thank's dirty dee that will be great to have since the xyz printer is a huge paperweight right now.:Crying: I bought my ender3d from banggood at 179.99 free shipping. I know there is an upgraded version like 314$. But after looking at all the revues it was not worth it. You will want to go to Thingiverse and get the upgrades for it. the fan cover, extruder guides.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                                  Thanks for the pointers Dee. Yea how is that plane coming along? Any progress? I'm going to order a 3D printer after all the Holiday Madness. Haven't really settled on which one just yet. I, like you don't see 100% why those guys design things quite like they do. There planes seem to fly, so they can't be all wrong. We'll see.

I'm am far along, but I am in a time-consuming phase where the test pieces take 7-16hrs to print, so iterations can be slow. I'm hoping to finalize the tail and center fuselage sections in a month so I can atleast start printing/assembling/wiring those sections while I finish the landing gear and flap/spoiler mechanisms.

My gripe with the 3DLabPrint method is the thin surface walls, but using crazy complex internal structures. I prefer a thicker fuselage/wing skin and more conventional (and less) internal supports. A few times I accidentally bumped a wing or fuselage on the edge of a wall or table, and caused a break in the 3DLabPlanes.I also don't like the low temp resistance of PLA, so I have been heavily invested in experimenting with ABS.

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                                  What software are you using Dee? I just installed Fusion yesterday, looks to seem useful, but I guess time will tell. I was planning to use a much more traditional structural under laying. Going to try to get this F-100 model into the fusion editor, and start playing with it.

I am using Solidworks. It is very similar to Fusion.

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                                  I would very much like to have a calibration with folks like yourself and Rman. I'm just sick and tired of being at the mercy of what models are picked for us by the manufacturers. I thinks it's time to break away from their choices, and start making our own. This Tech. and venue may make this possible, at least I'm hoping.
                                  We should collaborate on designing a P-51D and an F-16 LOL

But, on a serious note, the 3D printing definitely makes it easier to try out less popular plane designs with some level of ease. Once you get passed the learning curves of using the softwares and fuselage design methodologies, it is fairly simple (though may be a time investment)

Comment

• Im in agreement with the thin wall design. They do look nice when done, but im thinking when i start my designs I'll use a more standard method as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
                                      I'm am far along, but I am in a time-consuming phase where the test pieces take 7-16hrs to print, so iterations can be slow. I'm hoping to finalize the tail and center fuselage sections in a month so I can atleast start printing/assembling/wiring those sections while I finish the landing gear and flap/spoiler mechanisms.

My gripe with the 3DLabPrint method is the thin surface walls, but using crazy complex internal structures. I prefer a thicker fuselage/wing skin and more conventional (and less) internal supports. A few times I accidentally bumped a wing or fuselage on the edge of a wall or table, and caused a break in the 3DLabPlanes.I also don't like the low temp resistance of PLA, so I have been heavily invested in experimenting with ABS.

I am using Solidworks. It is very similar to Fusion.

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=&amp][SIZE=13px]

We should collaborate on designing a P-51D and an F-16 LOL

But, on a serious note, the 3D printing definitely makes it easier to try out less popular plane designs with some level of ease. Once you get passed the learning curves of using the softwares and fuselage design methodologies, it is fairly simple (though may be a time investment)
                                      Nice work mate. I've heard about solid works. Do you have to buy that? I filled out the info and got Fusion for 3 years. But if I get use to using it, and it gets turned off, I'll have to buy it. I haven't checked but I heard its hella expensive.

Woody

Rifle we have to approach what works. Have you flown it yet?

Comment

• This weekend is the plan, both planes. I had the Cessna ready last weekend, but since its Jerelds plane it wouldnt be right for me to fly it without him. Im digging the suspension systems in both planes, so really looking forward to Sunday.

Comment

• I'm learning a lot with my Ender 3.

I've already used one spool. Printed some sport pilots, F-4 Phantom cockpit set, a couple of decorative items and a lot of 28mm game figures.

I wn't need to print a whole airplane for a long time. I have quite the hanger full already.
                                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                          X