Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey All, Just a quick I3 MK3 update. After over Four (4) miles of filament, my X Axis linear bearings are asking to be retired..

The two 8mm S/S carrier rods show no degradation in diameter which is great news.

What prompted the maintenance check was a dramatic increase in 'crashes' while printing, so me being me started looking for software and firmware issues and not a hardware issue.

In the last firmware update, Prusa had adjusted that sensitivity while adding some detail enhancing algorithms to the updated Prusa slicer.

All-in-all, great fixes, but it did increase the likelihood that crashes would appear at a higher rate. (You can override this by switching to "Stealth Mode", but print times will be a bit slower).

Turns out the linear bearings are worn to point of replacement and while I am replacing those I will install the Mk3 "S" Upgrade (I bought in 2018 LOL).

The Axiom being, if your printer is printing to your satisfaction don't make changes for the sake of change. Good Advice, that.

It seems a small thing can effect the larger over time and much like the frog in the pot of slow boiling water, I didn't notice the problems until it was too late.

This sort of maintenance is easy and inexpensive, 3-4 hours of disassembly-reassembly and less than $50.00 in bearings with shipping.

So, after a few miles of filament, if you're having frequent print crashing or even unexpected artifact issues, first lube your linear bearings and next try replacing those.

Best to all, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• davegee, et al,

After I completed the Mk3 to Mk3S upgrade, I had some unexpected results when making the "First layer Adjustment".

When adjusting for "Z" axis (up/down), in days of yore I had a "Live Z" (distance between the Nozzle and the Print Sheet) of -0.870 on a textured sheet.

Once set on my machine, I hadn't touched it in years even with nozzle changes, .

Now with the rebuilt "S" Extruder that value is -2.075 and I am still baby step tuning it downward. Shorter Extruder body.

In my mind I know this value is just that, a value that is variable until it is correct for the printer, but what a difference.

Some pictures of what is so slow and boring, much like me, but required.

It is a process, like building Foamies, .

All will be well in the kingdom soon.

Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey Y'all.

Prusa Mk3 to Mk3S upgrade completed with new linear bearings and PINDA Probe.

All "Z" calibrations are good with a darn near perfect Linear "Z" Tower with a 0.4 nozzle.

Considering the printer was working perfectly beforehand, I should have heeded my own advise and left well enough alone.

It is a bit a work, but in the end I am tickled.​

Additionally, I figure I've saved $899 USD by not buying the new Mk4 Kit with the bearing replacements.

Best to all, LB

​​​​​​​

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
          Hey Y'all.

Prusa Mk3 to Mk3S upgrade completed with new linear bearings and PINDA Probe.

All "Z" calibrations are good with a darn near perfect Linear "Z" Tower with a 0.4 nozzle.

Considering the printer was working perfectly beforehand, I should have heeded my own advise and left well enough alone.

It is a bit a work, but in the end I am tickled.​

Additionally, I figure I've saved $899 USD by not buying the new Mk4 Kit with the bearing replacements.

Best to all, LB

Awesome, Elbee! Great news!

Cheers

​​​​​​​davegee

Comment

• Nice! You gotta admit though - the Mk4 with the automatic Z calibration and easy-change nozzles is tempting! For me anyway. I just want things "to work" without any patience required on my part!

Comment

• Originally posted by CF-105 View Post
              Nice! You gotta admit though - the Mk4 with the automatic Z calibration and easy-change nozzles is tempting! For me anyway. I just want things "to work" without any patience required on my part!
              CF, Copy that.

I am still daydreaming about the Mk4, we'll see.

I am also on the fence about getting a resin printer.

It would be about detail parts only, IPs, consoles, pilot figures which makes one an option but not a need, if you follow my line of reason.

Still, one would be very cool.

Mk4 or Resin? Less expensive to get a resin as the Prusa SL1S is just way out there in price for how I would use one.

Time will tell.

Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• LOL that sounds familiar! I'm considering a Mk4 for next year. Resin is tempting, but not sure I want to mess with all the chemicals & stuff. I'd probably melt my eyeballs! Same sort of reasoning why I've avoided getting a laser cutter.

Comment

• Corsair Connoisseurs, I have 'Published' my FlightLine 1600mm Corsair Cowl Flap Modification with Prusa Printables.

The link is above and I will post this in the Official FlightLine 1600mm Corsair/Bubbletop Thread.

This mod fits both of the FlightLine Corsairs.

Any questions/comments, please PM me.

Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                  X