Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m kind of new with the 3d printer , but , absolutely addictive as planes are . Lot to learn but i love anything coming out of mine ( Ender 3 pro).
    On the mig -29 looks good. I need to learn how to do the inside empty to reduce weight.
    often i wish to have the second one running at the same time, am i the only one ?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Thank you for the advice. I look into it next week.

Comment

• Printing up an Akira-class starship for a friend of mine. This is from the ST:TNG universe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5632.JPG Views:	19 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	299859
        Pat

Comment

• Very cool

Comment

• Freewing F-18C Nose Gear Door modification to the modification.
            Hey 3DP'ers, whoops that doesn't sound quite right, anywho, I have designed a different Nose Gear Door Actuator for the Freewing F-18C. Yes, I am still working on this project.

I had used 2 servos which I modded to linear movement, one on each door and ran into difficulty with it functioning well with the radio versus a servo tester. There was too much play in that design, frankly, and was never 100% consistent without some servo hum. In my mind anytime I can eliminate a servo, it's for the good.

The NG Doors are now mechanically operated via a cross-member and held open with compression spring tension. Compression to fully close the doors is less than 5 ounces of downward force.

Myriad electron problems have been solved, though the cylinder design is in it's 2nd iteration and the cross-member took 3 shots to take the loads and not distort or bind.

This works quite well and I saved just over an ounce of weight as a side benefit.

Note: The Numbered Photo in sequence:

1) These are the 'ball/socket' links to the NG door pivot. This was my first attempt at a 'print-in-place' design that requires only a single print for a 2-part movable unit. This really just allowed me to make the part smaller and accomplish the same thing in principle. I could have probably gotten even smaller, but this works well. I have printed several articulating models that use this 'print-in-place' feature and it is fascinating to do but not as easy as I thought to design.

2) This is the Cross-Member which required a couple-three 'try it again, dummy' to get the right contact point and depth as to not interfere with the strut or wheels and not bind. The Fuel tubing cushion helps with tolerance and saves the strut paint.

3) This is a redesign of the Inner NG top panel with mounting for the compression spring cylinders. Getting the original out was more work than the redesign.

Best as always, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0594.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	300368
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
              Freewing F-18C Nose Gear Door modification to the modification.
              Hey 3DP'ers, whoops that doesn't sound quite right, anywho, I have designed a different Nose Gear Door Actuator for the Freewing F-18C. Yes, I am still working on this project.

I had used 2 servos which I modded to linear movement, one on each door and ran into difficulty with it functioning well with the radio versus a servo tester. There was too much play in that design, frankly, and was never 100% consistent without some servo hum. In my mind anytime I can eliminate a servo, it's for the good.

The NG Doors are now mechanically operated via a cross-member and held open with compression spring tension. Compression to fully close the doors is less than 5 ounces of downward force.

Myriad electron problems have been solved, though the cylinder design is in it's 2nd iteration and the cross-member took 3 shots to take the loads and not distort or bind.

This works quite well and I saved just over an ounce of weight as a side benefit.

Note: The Numbered Photo in sequence:

1) These are the 'ball/socket' links to the NG door pivot. This was my first attempt at a 'print-in-place' design that requires only a single print for a 2-part movable unit. This really just allowed me to make the part smaller and accomplish the same thing in principle. I could have probably gotten even smaller, but this works well. I have printed several articulating models that use this 'print-in-place' feature and it is fascinating to do but not as easy as I thought to design.

2) This is the Cross-Member which required a couple-three 'try it again, dummy' to get the right contact point and depth as to not interfere with the strut or wheels and not bind. The Fuel tubing cushion helps with tolerance and saves the strut paint.
              3) This is a redesign of the Inner NG top panel with mounting for the compression spring cylinders. Getting the original out was more work than the redesign.

Best as always, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.JPG
Views:	628
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	300368
              Truly phenomenal! Thanks a ton for sharing. This is very inspirational design work.

Comment

• Originally posted by walkerm45 View Post
                Well Elbee,

I promised to include some better pics of my 3D printed Pt Boat back in the spring, before the S hit the fan. Well here they are....
                Very nice! I have considered a PT boat before but haven't done one yet. Is this the file you used.... https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo...led-model-boat

I have done one 3d printed boat. It uses twin motors and sails very well.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Orca bow.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	300388Click image for larger version

Name:	Orca stern.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	300389

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                  Very nice! I have considered a PT boat before but haven't done one yet. Is this the file you used..
                  Thanks for posting this. very nice, indeed. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Radfordc post 1007: Yes, that is the PT Boat files that I used...... I also had a gentleman on cgtrader produce a complete 1/20th crew of stl files, for the boat, 10 crewmen. Did a nice job, and a lot cheaper than the finished products for sale on the internet...... the hull was printed on an Ender 5 Plus, and all other parts that fit the Prusa I3Mk3s bed, were printed on it. Prusa is much better at detail......walkerm45

Comment

• Should have a maiden on a new plane in 2 months

Comment

• Elbee
                        Elbee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        DD, You do amazing work, sir, a most talented guy. Bravo Zulu. Best, Steve

• Is anyone interested in 3D printed ships, or is this primarily an airplane talk site?

Comment

Is anyone interested in 3D printed ships, or is this primarily an airplane talk site?
                        WM, No one has ever asked that question, but my vote goes to anything 3DP that is RC related. FIle sharing, new projects, assisting with design, it is what we make it. Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Here's mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210411_180122333_HDR.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	308258

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

WM, No one has ever asked that question, but my vote goes to anything 3DP that is RC related. FIle sharing, new projects, assisting with design, it is what we make it. Best, LB
                            I second that!

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                              Here's mine. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210411_180122333_HDR.jpg Views:	21 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	308258
                              Great looking boat! Ive starting printing mine. Just curious, did you apply anything to the hull for waterproofing?

Comment

• Originally posted by CM_Aero View Post

Great looking boat! Ive starting printing mine. Just curious, did you apply anything to the hull for waterproofing?
                                No...but I probably should have. You have to add a lot of weight to the hull to get it to float right and that puts stress on the hull when transporting. Mine hull has cracked once and repaired with CA glue. I printed mine with HIPS, but should have used ABS instead.

She looks good on the water... https://youtu.be/LyOKT5Bxqi0

Comment

• Flightline F4u Corsair Cowl Flap Modification.zip

Hello Printers and RC Enthusiasts everywhere, I received a few requests for my Flightline Corsair Cowl Flap modification design and figured if I wait to post these until I am finished, it is possible MotionRC will have released a new Corsair. So here you go. Enjoy and happy printing. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Here are my 2 latest projects, a Fletcher class Destroyer, in 1/72 scale. Very nice project from the same gentleman on CGTrader, who created the PT Boat project in 1/20th scale. The 2nd project is my first attempt at creating an RC ship, from a picture. It is a rendering of Battle Ship Scharnhorst, in 144 th scale. Both ships come in at a little over 62". First 3 pics are of the Scharnhorst Click image for larger version  Name:	20210427_172612.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	311282 and the last 2 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210427_172612.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	311285Click image for larger version  Name:	20210427_172603.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.3 KB ID:	311284 pics are of the Fletcher Destroyer. As you can see, they both are works in process. I will update you on the projects, if there is interest.... Bronco MikeClick image for larger version  Name:	20210427_172121.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.5 KB ID:	311280Click image for larger version  Name:	20210427_172201.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	311281
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Elbee, I think I might re-size your Corsair Cowl Flaps for my Flightline Tigercat. I have a set of scale R2800 PW Engines in the plane, and the working cowl flaps will add to the scale appearance.

Thanks, BroncoMike, PS, My son lives in Wichita, Lt Col AF Reserves.

Comment

Elbee, I think I might re-size your Corsair Cowl Flaps for my Flightline Tigercat. I have a set of scale R2800 PW Engines in the plane, and the working cowl flaps will add to the scale appearance.

Thanks, BroncoMike, PS, My son lives in Wichita, Lt Col AF Reserves.
                                        BM, You can use the existing Corsair Cowl Flap STL files and "Resize" those by percentage or in any of the X, Y, Z axis in a 3DP Slicer Program. I use Prusa Slicer (free) and it is super simple. The Cowl Ring would might need to be reworked for the nacelle's radius and my thought is the hinge points would not scale down accurately. The hinge is an .052" guitar string and the holes match so scaling downward would be okay, but drilling out for the same or smaller wire will be tricky. I thank your son for his service, I understand the AFRC at McConnell is simply outstanding. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X