Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish I could find one of those filament recycling machines for cheap, but otherwise right now mine go to the scrap heap.

Comment

• Elbee
      Elbee commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, I've researched that a bit and even with that the recycled filament is not without air gaps, impurities, etc. Scraping it on Recycle Days seems the best thing, then I can quit thinking about it. We tried, huh. Just seems a bit wasteful even though a new roll is less than $25. LOL

• Haha yes indeed!

Comment

• Here are the L-39's drum brakes. They work great!

I'm hoping to finish up the build over the next few days. Pending weather hope for a maiden next weekend. AUW is about 7.9kg

Comment

• DD, I've got 'disc' envy. Congrats, that is truly an amazing project. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Mobius camera was acting up and cut out both times partway into the filming, but here are some onboard videos of the maiden and the second flight.

Comment

• Man that thing has some serious power! Very impressive, great build, congrats!

Comment

• Thanks! I'm working now on final detail bits and getting ready for paint. Printing some vacuum forming plus for the canopy as well.

I also want to do a thrust test to check if my ESC settings can be improved. Right now I have it on auto timing.

Comment

• That sounds great!

Comment

• Been loving printed 16th scale things to match the tanks. Found this Willy's file and at 16 scale it fit perfectly on my ender 3 bed.

Comment

• James , that is awesome to say the least. Looks really good. Where did you find the markings for it? Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                      James , that is awesome to say the least. Looks really good. Where did you find the markings for it? Best, LB
                      I hand painted them! Looks better from far than up close

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

I hand painted them! Looks better from far than up close
                        James, Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Great job, James.

Comment

• Anyone giving thoughts to details for the new OV-10?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do one of the Cal Fire/CDF birds. So that means removing the belly weapons mount and fabricating some simple antennas. Maybe a Flir sensor ball on the belly.

The cockpit work is generally beyond my current skill at designing parts.

Comment

• Knowing very little about 3D Printing (but very computer literate) I am wondering if 3D printing would offer a way to print small replacement parts. For example I have a PT-17 that I love, but i am frequently breaking struts, which are almost impossible to find. Are there software packages available that would allow me to design such a part that could then be printed?

Comment

• Originally posted by bob_stan View Post
                                Knowing very little about 3D Printing (but very computer literate) I am wondering if 3D printing would offer a way to print small replacement parts. For example I have a PT-17 that I love, but i am frequently breaking struts, which are almost impossible to find. Are there software packages available that would allow me to design such a part that could then be printed?
                                110%! That is exactly one of the main reasons 3d printing is growing larger in the RC community. Thingiverse is a website where many designers (many Squawkers on these forums) make designs and upload them for free to be downloaded and printed and here is a search of just the word Freewing and you will see all sorts of parts, ordnance and such that you can print: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...&sort=relevant

For designing parts, I and many use Fusion 360. They have a Free option that is great for learning and making files that can transfer to your 3d printer. Find it here: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Now mind you, there is a learning curve to both working a 3d printer, and of course designing prints that will work. But there are a ton of resources that a google or youtube search can get you on your way!

Happy Printing!

Comment

• Originally posted by bob_stan View Post
                                  Knowing very little about 3D Printing (but very computer literate) I am wondering if 3D printing would offer a way to print small replacement parts. For example I have a PT-17 that I love, but i am frequently breaking struts, which are almost impossible to find. Are there software packages available that would allow me to design such a part that could then be printed?
                                  bob_stan , Are these LG struts or Wing Struts or something else? Understanding what use the part will have is the only limiting factor of 3DP. 3DP prints in many differing plastic types, PLA and ABS being most common. Since Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF) is what most of us use, which is a layer upon a layer, fusing of the 2 layers is the weakest part. So a strut that will need to take impact loads even printed linearly will be weaker than a injected molded part all other things being equal.

Stereolithography (SLA) resin 3DP printed parts would probably be a closer match to an OEM strut, but I do not have any experience with that form of printing yet.

Designing a better strut would be interesting. There are free CAD programs for designing STL files by Autodesk. I use both TinkerCAD (basic, easy and you can design incredibly detailed parts) and Fusion 360 (more professional design features) with great success. You can download those and play around with designing a replacement strut and have one of guys who offer a printing service print your design. Also, if you post the design as STL files here, I am sure guys would critique it for printing, I certainly will offer to do that for you, though I am not a printing service.

Hope this helps and between all of us here at Hobby Squawk someone will have an answer, of that I am certain. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks - they are in fact wing struts but your suggestions are very helpful.

Comment

• Hey Makers, ...Just bought and downloaded a new 3DLabs offering, 15x8 Propeller designed for their Spitfire. I have not yet printed any of it, though the possibilities are endless for prop jocks. The design allows for either 3-blade and 4-blade hubs. I have asked 3DLabs if there would be any issues in scaling down the design in Slic3r programs and will post here with their response. Check it out. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Linear Servo Adapter Mount for Futaba 3108, 3109, 3111_Slic3r PE.stl
                                        Note: Add "Supports Everywhere" in your Slic3r.

Hey 3DP-ers, I thought I had posted the Futaba 3108 Servo Linear Conversion STL here, but 'nope', so here it is. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X