X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dustman View Post
    Hey, that looks great and something I would gladly pay for the file when you make it available. Is there a seat that goes with it?
    DM, Yes, the seat will part of the file set. I am working on it, . The files will be posted in this forum when complete and I am satisfied with the results at 'no cost'. The joy is in the doing. I have done 6 tub configs and I am still not yet pleased with the design or the part count, though it's coming along, I think. The picture is a single print and hopefully only requires the LH/RH Instrument panel height to be corrected to proper scale. Console widths are an issue for pilot choice and mod at 1.5625", so some minor surgery will be required. No biggie for modelers, right? I have not built my Freewing F-18C, so exact battery placement is a 'SWAG', but with the extra weight of the 3DP parts in the forward fuselage I think battery placement will move aft enough to make space for the deeper tub and 'pit'. I will post more pics as the work progresses. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	217360
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• That sounds great. I will be looking out and checking your progress. Your cockpit and the mods from RCJETDUDE are all the additions I would like to do to my jet. As a second jet I was thinking about the new Eflite 80mm F-18D or the Banana Hobbies LXF-18F(as a Growler). Both models have fantastic looking scale gear. I wonder if they would fit my Motion Jet.?

Comment

• Hey Ya'll, Working on the LB Ejection Seat for my F-18C which is guaranteed never to eject anything from anywhere and that's a promise. Again trying to keep the parts count minimal and light, though easily assembled. A work in progress and a bit clunky yet, but getting there. Best, LB

Name:	Capture0.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	217878Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	582
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	217877Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	217879

Name:	IMG_0114.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	217876Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	217880Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	217881
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
          Hey Ya'll, Working on the LB Ejection Seat for my F-18C which is guaranteed never to eject anything from anywhere and that's a promise. Again trying to keep the parts count minimal and light, though easily assembled. A work in progress and a bit clunky yet, but getting there. Best, LB

Name:	Capture0.JPG
Views:	611
ID:	217878Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	582
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	217877Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	217879

Name:	IMG_0114.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	217876Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	217880Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	217881
          Clunky? Hardly! You amaze me with your skills sir.

Comment

• RCJD, Well, I thank you, though it looks differently from this side. Your talking about a guy that can't draw a stick figure without circle templates and a ruler. It is a slow process and nothing when compared to what others have and are doing here with 3DP. Nonetheless, I really like doing it. I would be building these things using 'old school' techniques anyway, so it saves a lot of running around looking for fabric, plastic shapes, tubing, lite ply and bits to recreate the same details. Trouble is with all this great tech, I keep thinking it should be 'dam^ near perfect and like most of us, I am my own worst critic. Hope to be posting the STL files soon. Humbly, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Drooling for the final product! I wish I had your talent.

Comment

• Hey Gang, Still at it. Designing and test printing the 'small parts' and there are several. Latest is the HUD Frame. Picture is only one side as I was checking my scale height. Although, thinking I should post some of the finished files, so y'all can at least start printing and painting. Give me a couple days to sort those out. Best, LB

Name:	Fa18 HUD Frame.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	218284
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Zip Freewing F-18C 11th Scale Cockpit STL Files Set 1.zip
                  Zip Freewing F-18C 11th Scale Cockpit STL Files Set 2.zip
                  Zip Freewing F-18C 11th Scale Cockpit STL Files Set 3.zip
                  Zip Freewing F-18C 11th Scale Cockpit STL Files Set 4.zip

Y'all, I had a bit of time so here you go. These attachments are the first four sets of STL files with some images below for the Freewing F/a-18C. These include the Cockpit Tub, Canopy Rails with Pit Frame, Mesh Cover, The Pit, Front Instrument Panel (IP), Center IP, LH & RH IP Consoles. I vented the Tub since its depth prevents any fresh air from getting to the battery area, hence the slots in the consoles.

Might I suggest you begin by printing the Tub to understand how you'll need to 'cut' the bottom of the canopy section of the model. I used a blade from my razor saw, elementary really, but this will give you a great starting point to match other parts as you print those. Also, once you've 'cut out' the material where the "Tub" lives your canopy section will have a very thin profile at the Front IP, read fragile and easily broken; ask me how I know. Replace it into the fuselage for all work until you glue in the Tub.

I will suggest, as well, that you do all your paint work as separate parts for assembly, rather than gluing and painting as a whole. I designed these as several differing parts for that reason. Print settings are normal for PLA and a .4 nozzle on a Prusa i3 Mk3 using slic3r PE. There is quite a lot of detail as I designed the parts to get 'high relief'. I do not have any gauges or MFD photos for use yet, possibly someone can design something for us all on that front.

I am not going to write an assembly sheet as this is straight-forward, but I will field any questions I can here in this forum. If you find a 'fit problem, do let me know; the parts fit well though I have found the use of 220 Wet or Dry and a deft hand with a scalpel solves most. Best as always, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	All in One Pic.JPG Views:	0 Size:	140.3 KB ID:	218312Click image for larger version  Name:	F-18C_IP_LHRHConsoles_CenterIP.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	218313Click image for larger version  Name:	Mesh slic3r.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.1 KB ID:	218314Click image for larger version  Name:	The Pit slic3r.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.8 KB ID:	218315Click image for larger version  Name:	Tub slic3r.JPG Views:	0 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	218316Click image for larger version  Name:	Tub w IP.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.0 KB ID:	218317Click image for larger version  Name:	Tub_CanopyRails_Pit_Mesh.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	218318
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• How's the seat coming?
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                      How's the seat coming?
                      TI, I have been designing some add-ons for the seat that I'd like to include, also, I have not printed a "Z" cut version for fit as of yet. The full seat will not fit the allowable depth, so not included in these files. I'll get there, hopefully yet this week. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Solid progress, Elbee ! I may have to print out a tub for my Splinter Hornet
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                          Solid progress, Elbee ! I may have to print out a tub for my Splinter Hornet
                          Alpha, Wow! Thank you. There's a question I had when designing the 'Tub', there is room to drop the floor, so I did, but that blocks out any air flow through the nose gear voids. I made the presumption that air flow helps in cooling the battery space and added venting inside the tub. Am I on the right track there or can I simply 'go back' and use solid walls in the cockpit tub? best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey Y'all, Finishing the HUB Frame and base with lens. This will require that the shroud be cut-out to accommodate the base and lower the frame below the canopy glass. My point is, will most modelers want to do this? I will shorten the frame by eliminating the upper reflector frame/glass and modify the base if need be so the base is simply a 'glue-on' rather than a 'cut and glue' if wanted that way. The 'cut-out' is more scale and a bit more work for the modeler, though looks pretty awesome, I think. Thoughts? Best, LB

Name:	HUD 3.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	218353Click image for larger version

Name:	HUD 4.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	218354Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	218355
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Alpha, Wow! Thank you. There's a question I had when designing the 'Tub', there is room to drop the floor, so I did, but that blocks out any air flow through the nose gear voids. I made the presumption that air flow helps in cooling the battery space and added venting inside the tub. Am I on the right track there or can I simply 'go back' and use solid walls in the cockpit tub? best, LB
                              Hi LB, the math on vacuum pressure, and thereby the actual degree of "air flow"/cooling, created by the nose gear voids (intake) and the area aft past the ESC mount (outlet) is not significant enough to massively cool the battery. Even putting a 12V fan directly on a 6s 5000 flight battery during flight won't net significant thermal reductions.

That being said, any airflow at all is better than none at all, and ambient temperatures can rise due to other conditions aside from the flight battery itself. Accordingly, I do not think it is a bad idea to integrate some sort of venting inside the tub to allow some degree of airflow. But I wouldn't expend too much time trying to Science a better mousetrap in this context. I've found that throttle management goes further to avoiding puffy batteries than the minuscule CFM value a door gap's "intakes" provide!
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• It all looks good to me. I do not mind putting in a little extra work for the scale appearance. For some reason I was not able to download the first set of files but had no problem with the second set of four files. The only difference between them is that the first set did not have a file size listed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dustman View Post
                                  It all looks good to me. I do not mine putting in a little extra work for the scale appearance. For some reason I was not able to down load the first set of files but had no problem with the second set of four files. The only difference between them is that the first set did not have a file size listed.
                                  DM et al, That fIle might be empty. as I had an issue with the size of my original files sets being too large for Hobby Squawk's forum format. My mistake; so I broke up two files into four. If anyone else has this issue, let me know and I'll re-post all the F-18C STL Files here. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey Hornet Owner's Club, The STL File I have attached is of the HUD Glass Frame and HUD Base. Please note installing the base will require cutting a slot for the base into the OEM IP Shroud and then removing some of the foam to get it roughly 90 degrees to the Front IP. The front or forward side of the HUD Frame attaches, read glues, to the 'top' of the Front IP Panel via the 'cutout' in the HUD Base. It should also be noted that the OEM Shroud is longer toward the Ejection Seat side than needed, so don't be afraid to cut it back a bit. There are images available on the 'inter-web dealie thing'. The "LB Mk1 Non-Ejection Seat" will be available soon. I am printing the 'z' cut version now and once the 'height' is good, I'll post it. Best, LB

[ATTACH]n218544[/ATTACH]

Name:	HUD Capture For Forum.JPG
Views:	561
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	218541Click image for larger version

Name:	HUD 1.JPG
Views:	526
ID:	218542Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	218543
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Great job Bro!! You are having way too much fun! I had two double Marker's Mark yesterday. One for you and one for me!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                        Great job Bro!! You are having way too much fun! I had two double Marker's Mark yesterday. One for you and one for me!!!
                                        Jerry, I really need you to have another one or two for me today, too. I know it's a bit of an imposition, but those 'darn kids' are being those 'darn kids' again and I need it. Best, Steve
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I will take it for the team!

Comment

Working...
                                          X