X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minwax Polycrylic

I am coating all my foam planes with Polycrylic. I am using gloss or satin, depending on the plane. You must rub down the plane, VERY WELL, with 91% rubbing alcohol first to break down the surface tension. A foam brush works very well. It levels out nicely. Don't over work it and don't apply it too thickly! Check the light reflection for missed spots. If you find that there is still a surface tension problem, you may apply a very thin coat of Polycrylic and then rub it dry with a paper towel. Then it goes on smoothly. Allow it to dry completely before adding coats. This not only improves the appearance of your plane but also cuts down on air resistance. This also makes a very nice primer for spray painting. It protects the foam from melting and spray paint adheres to it. As always, practice on scraps or an old wrecked plane first! The Doctor    ADDENDUM. Use VARATHANE waterbase polyurethane instead of Minwax. It is MUCH better quality. Sorry, guys. I just learned this. The Doctor

Re: Minwax Polycrylic

Thanks for the tips. I use this also for covering and foam protection. I use an airbrush to apply in most cased. However, a brush works just fine. thanks again for the tips.

Comment

Airbrushing will give you a much better finish, but you also have to do a lot of masking. Polycrylic gos on so well with a foam brush, it's worth it to avoid the masking. I always say.... "It looks good from afar, but it's far from good" Oh yeah, polycrylic is available in spray cans. I haven't tried it. The propellants might melt foam. The Doctor

Comment

I have used the Minwax polycrylic on 3 of my planes as well, this product makes it easy to keep your planes clean

Comment

why must you use alcohol first ? foam is open cell.

just curious

Comment

Foam planes are cast in a mold which requires a release compound. Polycrylic is water based. The release compound resists water, therefore, it must be removed with alcohol. Go easy on painted areas. The Doctor

Comment

this is very interesting, can you apply it over decals?
              I gather from what I'm reading that it will give the surface a smoother look?
              Team Gross!

Comment

I have been doing this lately. Using semi-gloss out of the can with a foam brush. Yes I go over the decals after rubbing them down good to make sure they are stuck down well. I think it helps seal the edges down and gives a uniform sheen between paint, plastic, and decals.

Comment

Greetings gang,

When applying the minwax product, has anyone noticed any coloration change over time? especially on white EPO models?

I have tried similar clear coating techniques to rocket surfaces (not foam of course) but noticed that in time it took on a slight yellowing. Just curious.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                  in Okla.

Comment

Even though Minwax states it is non-yellowing, Applying to white or light colored surfaces will yield a yellowing over time. Make sure to use the exterior grade, as it has a UV inhibitor, the worst enemy of foam.
                    CT

Comment

I have not applied it to anything white yet as I was also concerned about yellowing. I'd be inclined to try clear krylon or something like that, but it could yellow too I guess.

Comment

Greetings CT,

Thanks I wasn't aware there is an exterior grade. It's been a while since I've used it and I couldn't say what grade it might have been. I'm sure however, the product has been improved since then.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                        In Okla.

Comment

I have coated my airplanes with Minwax, they look great!! The Mustang was easy as its already painted so a couple of coats just made everything stand out so much better. Looks like she just got a wax job. The decals stand out beautifully. The Pandoras(s) and the Cub took a little work with IPA, and I gave them three coats, using a foam brush. They turned out great as well. Take the time to really go over the surfaces with IPA, I could have done a better job there, but by the third coat, it covered nicely. Short drying time is nice, although I let mine set over night.
                          Team Gross!

Comment

The Mustang after getting her Minwax treatment. Since she was factory painted, there was no prep work other than a general cleaning, she looks great!
                            Attached Files
                            Team Gross!

Comment

WOW !!! That looks fantastic , great job
                              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings Grossman,

Holy Cow!!! I thought I could see clouds reflected on your wings!!
                                Buddy, that looks outstanding!!!

I'm curious to see if you notice any difference in the flying characteristics of such an obvious low resistance surface area. Let me know will you?

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                in Okla.

Comment

Wow! Thinking of doing it to my P51 IronAss.

UPDATE: I couldn't help myself!! First coat on of the top half of my P51 last night. Looks great!! I'll post a picture when done...
                                  Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                  Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Greetings Lon,

Indeed.....

I got a few birds screaming from the hanger....... "Me, Me, Me....."

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                    in Okla.

Comment

You may have a bit of a wait Bill, but I can tell you that weed wacker performs beautifully with her Minwax coat. You can tell right away, by touch, which has the Minwax and which is uncoated
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

I'd recommend it on your Mustang. Since they are already painted, it's so easy, as I said, it makes the decals stand out beautifully
                                        I guess you could do the canopy as well, I didn't, but I did do the spinner.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X