X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
    I've decided to clear coat my 3 foam planes. My purpose is not to make them show pieces, but simply easier to clean, keep the decals secure, perhaps get some modest protection against hangar rash, and improve the appearance since I like the sheen of the gloss clear coat. My Apprentice has no factory paint and is a little dirty after 25 or so flights; Eflite Cirrus has 1/3 factory paint and Eflite AT-6 is fully factory painted, both new out of the box. All are fully assembled. After reading through this thread my plan is:

Clean and wipe down each plane with a damp cloth.
    Wipe down unpainted surfaces on each plane with a mix of 2/3 isopropyl alcohol 1/3 distilled water to remove the factory mold residue, or alternatively apply a light clear coat to all surfaces, let it bubble and wipe with paper towels to remove bubbles/residue and smooth.
    Use Varathane Spar Outdoor Water Based Gloss or Minwax Pro equivalent as they seem to be the consensus of choice.
    Leave planes assembled, remove prop and spinner, use light grip masking/painters tape(?) to mask off exposed control horns, clevises, control rods, clear plastic on canopy, motor shaft and cowl openings. Apparently its ok to clear coat plastic parts and foam hinges. I could be talked into disassembling planes but would prefer not to.
    Apply 2 light to medium coats of clear coat gloss by spray can with complete drying between coats. I could be talked into using foam or good quality painters brush, but given my modest goals spray can seems quicker and easier.

Any flaws? Am I missing something? This is new to me and I'm a bit apprehensive.
    sounds good, if you see any beading, wipe it off before it dries and let it sit for half an hour to dry, then reapply, what's happening is it's removing the mold release agent. Personally, I use a brush, but three or four coats is not going to affect the weight. Don't worry, you really can't go wrong
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman,

Thanks very much. I assume any bubbling will occur only on unpainted surfaces.

Comment

• Any “beading” can be eliminated by taking a clean cloth or paper towel moistened with the clearcoat and rubbing in like polishing. At least that's what I did, and then after that coat dried, I sprayed another on top, if needed.
        Also, I did remove the wing as I didn't want multiple coats causing an issue with removal.
        Note: this was discussed earlier in the thread

Comment

• Got it. Thanks again.

Comment

C'mon guys. I just need some reassurance that I'm doing it right or suggestions where you think I've gone astray.
            ICM, Your methodology is fine. Frankly, spray can is fine. Masking isn't really necessary with the exception of canopy glass if you're spraying a MATTE finish. Even then you can wipe it off with Q-tips dipped in IA before it has cured. Learned that the hard way. I have masked control linkages beforehand, but it won't matter unless these are mini-type. I paint mine to match the airframe afterward and spray clear right on top of that. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I"m spraying GLOSS finish, so its ok not to mask?

Comment

• I would still mask the canopy.
                Pat

Comment

I"m spraying GLOSS finish, so its ok not to mask?
                  After deliberation, I agree with CRXMP, why goof up all the hard work you've done with a botched looking canopy as some 'clear' sprays can yellow a bit and the solvents can react with some clear plastics. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                    I would still mask the canopy.
                    I’ll 2nd...

Comment

• I agree with masking; it really isn't too much trouble and there would be a difference between the untreated canopy and the Varathane coated canopy. I know because I missed an extremely small area on mine (with gloss) and it did change the appearance slightly (very minor "haze"). But it isn't noticeable because it is right near the bottom of the canopy right above the silver colored canopy paint, so it just looks like a transition.

Also, a clarification on your "beading/bubbling" question...the beading can occur occasionally on painted surfaces too.

Comment

• https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Pro-Series-32-fl-oz-Satin-Water-based-Varnish/999918572?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-Paint-_-InteriorStains-_-999918572:Minwax&CAWELAID=&kpid=999918572&CAGPSPN= pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=bi_264334789_5481217710_1 3814742668_pla-1100008777982_c_&msclkid=ecfeddb15ca4194e5c8881b8c d413641
                        This is the stuff!!
                        For the 'wet look', go with a brush and apply liberally, use a hair dryer to set it while watching for runs. My rule, as I've said before, is to use a brush for maximum shine and a spray gun for maximum flat.
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• The can looks like this, except it says 'gloss'
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	027426359055.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	164937
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks to all for the tips and product suggestions on this thread. Using Grossman's technique I successfully clear coated my Apprentice, AT-6 and most of the Cirrus with Varathane waterbased Outdoor Spar Urethane aerosol and yellow frog tape. Only thing left is the Cirrus battery hatch/canopy which is painted foam with 3 large clear windows with compound curves. Not sure how to mask off the windows. Any tips or suggestions?

Comment

• Well, I've been known to (don't tell anyone!) paint the clear right over the windows and lights! :Not-Talking:
                              Have coat number four on BBD now. The leading edges were starting to gator up, so I'll build up a layer of plastic, sand and repaint the silver and coat with clear again. The rest of the plane, with four coats on her, looks great. I apply it pretty thick with a brush and hit it with a hairdryer before it runs. Works well. This old gal is my original plane and has had 4 seasons on her and I figured it was time for a little TLC.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                Well, I've been known to (don't tell anyone!) paint the clear right over the windows and lights! :Not-Talking:
                                Have coat number four on BBD now. The leading edges were starting to gator up, so I'll build up a layer of plastic, sand and repaint the silver and coat with clear again. The rest of the plane, with four coats on her, looks great. I apply it pretty thick with a brush and hit it with a hairdryer before it runs. Works well. This old gal is my original plane and has had 4 seasons on her and I figured it was time for a little TLC.

Grossman56
                                Keep plastering and pretty soon you're gonna have to upgrade the power to the FMS 6S system from the 1700 Tigercat in order to get that tired ol' Gal around the circuit at a reasonable clip. LOL
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I hear you, but four coats and then sanding shouldn't affect it. The leading edges seemed to have the gatoring so , I repainted them and cleared again. An interesting point: Clear coat,/sand/two coats of clear coat again, then apply the silver/ clear coat until shiny. If you paint over the sanded area without clear coating, you get a totally different result. Interesting.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                    Well, I've been known to (don't tell anyone!) paint the clear right over the windows and lights! :Not-Talking

Grossman56
                                    If I knew the windows on the canopy/hatch would remain clear on my Cirrus and At-6 after spaying on 2 light coats of Varathane Waterbased Spar Urethane clear gloss, I'd do it in a NY minute to avoid the hassle of Frog taping, glad wrapping or liquid masking them.

Comment

• I have to redo and old repair (that I obviously didn't do right) to the top of the wing of my FW P-51 that is over the MLG strut area. On this small area, there are 3 coats of Varathane outdoor gloss covered by sanded Foam Finish, then 2 coats aluminum paint and 2 finish coats of Varathane gloss over factory paint.

Any recommendations of what to use to remove all that stuff on the affected area so that I can repair the crack and repaint with aluminum and Varathane? Techniques for paint removal and repairing/strengthening the area?

Comment

• you can use Acetone, but you might get away with using packing tape or some type of tape with a lot of stick like Duct Tape, we always complain about tape peeling off paint, in this case, its just what you want it to do...

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks Gman! I tried my wife's nail polish remover (non-acetone). That didn't work--it did start taking the Varathane off though. Tried rubbing alcohol--that seemed to work a bit better. For the stubborn stuff the tape did work!
                                          DB

Comment

Working...
                                          X