Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minwax Polycrylic

Greetings Grossman56,

Buddy, now I've got the hots to go buy a P-51 just so I can Minwax it!!!!
    I hope you won't mind but when my wife finds out I'm blaming you!! He, He........

Seriously, your Mustang is really gorgeous.....

Clear Skies

Bill L.
    in Okla.

Comment

Here's my results.
      Attached Files
      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Greetings Guys,

Really!!???! You guys are killin' me!!!!
        Lon, that another awesome example of a damn good looking Mustang!!!!

I just can't get over how the Polycrylic makes those birds POP!!

Really nice work guys... if someday we actually get to do a members' calendar, you've both earned my vote for inclusion.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
        in Okla.

Comment

Great looking warbirds, guys! Lon, are you using the gloss variant? I use satin and it is more muted, which I generally prefer for my warbirds, but I will definitely have to try the gloss on some other airplanes.

Comment

Alpha, here's my take on the choice -- and then some. <smiley image="smiley_wink.gif"/>
            Many if not most guys when first getting into R/C do so wanting to get straight into the warbirds. It's the 'macho' thing, and 'living vicariously thru...' psyche. There's one facet to this that most do not realize one very important factor - and often, sadly, until it's too late. Warbirds, by their very nature, are <i>designed</i> to be hard to see!

It's true too that some want to stay 'scale', and are gonna insist on keeping the inherent matte finishes. But for me, I want to add some of the glistening which might not be scale, but anything that helps me see these things better is a definite plus in my book. Those little glints of reflected light you catch are a tremendous help.

Eg:
            My first bipe was one of the SE-5A's in the typical matte OD finish, which of course turns black about 20 feet away. You'd think, as did I, that with all that wingage up front it'd be hard to lose orientation, especially with how relatively slow it flies. It was with considerable shock I quickly discovered how easy it was to lose orientation - in fact the club-mate I bought it from was standing beside me on my maiden flight with it - and I was lucky he was. Truth is, that extra wing actually blocks quite a bit of the 'arrow shaft' of the fuselage in quartering views, which is your perspective in much of the 'laps' we fly. It started doing weird things when I'd try to turn, and quickly got me flustered....& it might sound weird but it got 'too small' so quickly I couldn't even tell I wasn't even flying in the direction I thought. I had to hand the Tx over to him to bring it home! Scared me so badly I haven't flown it since!

Comment

Yes, gloss. When standing in the isle picking out the can of Minwax. I switched back and forth several times between the gloss and satin...then thought "Yeh, make her shine!" and purchased the gloss.
              Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
              Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Intead of the boring OD colors of Allies planes of WW 1, I like the colorful biplanes used by many German pilots. They are much easier to see. I have had the Parkzone SE 5 and Albatross and enjoyed both of them except for their tendency to nose over. I just hope that FMS, Freewing, etc. can make us some 1400+mm EPO WW 1 fighters and bombers. They are a real joy to fly.

Comment

Yeah....them Jerries knew how to party up a plane. <smiley image="smiley_good.gif"/>

And SO much to choose from when deciding on a new livery.

BTW (speaking of colorful) - ever seen the pink Spitty?
                  http://io9.com/5872484/why-world-war-ii-spy-planes-used-pink-camouflage

Comment

That Spit was an Avon sale rep's plane<smiley image="smiley_happy.gif"/> I have seen pics of the blue Spirfires used for recon missions.

Comment

I use the Varathane brand of water based finish, as it offers an interior and exterior mix. The difference between the two is that exterior has a UV inhibitor and is more pliable than the interior as it is exposed to temperature difference and will "stretch' which eliminates cracking. Additionally, gloss finish will reflect more UV rays than a satin or flat finish. Using exterior gloss product on unpainted foam is even more crucial in that that surface does not have a pigmented painted surface to help absorb and reflect UV rays. Using the correct product will help extend the life of our planes since UV light is very detrimental to any porous or soft surface and breaks down the chemical composition of EPS and EPO foam.
                      The absolute best product to use is marine varnish, but the oil base product is expensive and more prone to yellowing over time.
                      CT

Comment

I used the gloss variant of Minwax. If your airplane is already factory painted the prep is minimal (read a quick cleaning and/or dusting to remove the cat hair!) As for the non factory paint airplanes, here's Pandora One Risen from the grave.Just follow the suggested steps amd clean and prep with IPA 90%. Pandora Two was a little more tear drop like because of the oil base material used to release the foam from the form. I will reprep the parts that need it and repaint later. See my blog All us Newbies lets share, I'm interested in some feedback to the mods I've done to Pandora One
                        Attached Files
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Ok guys I can use a little help here . I have my alcohol ,91%, I'm wiping down stuff . Am I suppose to be able to tell I have gone over an area ? Is there to be something on my rag , plane look different , anything ?
                          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings H64,

Typically, once the IPA evaporates that's that. Unless, there was excessive dirt/dust/discoloration of the foam then you should see clean(er) vs. dirty.

It's mostly one of those just keep track of what you've cleaned and where you haven't.

You 'might' be able to see a slight dulling of the foam where you've wiped from the IPA removing mold residue or feel a difference on the surface.

Can't wait to see your finished project.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                            in OKla.

Comment

Rocketeer thanks that helped me . I wasn't sure if I was to see a result or not . Used my airbrush and the cover is so smooth and dry time is almost nil . Both the paint and the Minwax I added water to . This made the flow thru the airbrush smoother . I'll never use a brush . I did tape off areas not to be covered but it is really worth it .

Btw I'm still waiting the flying video where is it ???????
                              Thanks again for info
                              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings H64,

I did happen to post an update on my 'attempted' filght video, but to be honest some of these posts have become so spread throughout various topics I'm not even sure where it is.

The short version is, my Go-Pro required a faster SD card playback speed then the one I had.
                                It made the playback all jittery. I have since acquired the appropriate SD card and I'm now waiting for the Oklahoma winds to cooporate. (I wonder if George Lucas has these issues?)

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                in OKla.

Comment

LOL I read them ... Just had to bust your chops <smiley image="anim_blbl.gif"/>
                                  But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings H64,

Well done!!!! A worthy Bazinga!!!

By the way, the new profile photo is awesome!!
                                    A very good looking Cruiser!

I hope you and the family are enjoying a great holiday weekend......

Bill L.
                                    in Okla.

Comment

The new Waco is on its way. I think I'll try airbrushing her with Minwax. What was your water to Minwax mix Hippie? Just got the new Spectrum AR635 receiver for the Mustang and will be heading downstairs to put her in shortly. Give it a try Bill, even on your least favorite bird or a hangar queen. Once you've tried it, you never leave another airplane naked!
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

Hey Gman , your gonna think I'm lil wacko but because its hard to pour the Minwax without making a mess I used a empty Syringe . Took one of the small jars that came with my airbrush and put 3 1/2 -4 of Minwax with 11/2 -2 water . Top on and shake well . Adjust to around 40 psi on your air and adjust till you see it coming well out of tip . Just put on a back n forth light on first coat then little bit heavier on two more . Dries very fast and coats so smooth . Let me know how it goes .
                                        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings Guys,

OK, I'm convinced!!! I've decided to give the minwax a shot on my 800mm Corsair.
                                          I'm thinking once the beautiful deep blue is coated it should really pop!!!

Plus it gives me a solid reason to break out the air brush again which hasn't seen light in a while.

I'll snap a couple of photos once completed.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                          in Okla.

Comment

Working...
                                          X