X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    Any investment should have a good rate of return, not just getting your money back (either in cash or product) and with a good chance of success. In this hobby, what a few would consider the pinnacle of an RC model, may be shunned by the bulk of RC enthusiasts. <SNIP> It's what the masses like.
    The "rate of return" in this case is getting the manufacture to produce a plane that maybe wouldn't otherwise get made. In this scenario it doesn't matter what the masses like or want, it's what the people footing the bill like and want. Win Win for everyone. The masses don't get stuck with a plane they don't want and the people who want a particular plane get it but at a premium price. It's up the an individual to decide if it's worth it or not.

If Freewing were to do a crowd funding for an A-7 Corsair II I'd be first in line with money. let's say an 80mm version would sell for $400 but the crowd funding price would be $600 to get it to market. I'd be all in, I know I'm paying more then what others are going to pay down the road but I don't care. I want that plane and if I can help get it to market by giving some money then I'm in.

I realize not everyone would feel the same as I do but that's the beauty of crowd funding, pay if you want to and ignore it if you don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by RickVB View Post
      Distrust of the process is just one of the reasons that this idea won't work. In addition to too small a community, inadequate interest in any one project, unequal ideas of fair pricing for a given set terms, etc. etc.
      I would have complete trust in Motion if they did this. If the company is well know and has a good reputation I wouldn't hesitate.

Comment

• I'm not speaking for them, but I don't think there's any way MRC would do something like this. As they have stated, their business model requires secrecy, because idea poaching is rampant in this hobby. If it's going to get done, an independent hobbyist will have to take it on. Which contributes to all the factors we just referred to. Which means it ain't happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

The "rate of return" in this case is getting the manufacture to produce a plane that maybe wouldn't otherwise get made. In this scenario it doesn't matter what the masses like or want, it's what the people footing the bill like and want. Win Win for everyone. The masses don't get stuck with a plane they don't want and the people who want a particular plane get it but at a premium price. It's up the an individual to decide if it's worth it or not.

If Freewing were to do a crowd funding for an A-7 Corsair II I'd be first in line with money. let's say an 80mm version would sell for $400 but the crowd funding price would be $600 to get it to market. I'd be all in, I know I'm paying more then what others are going to pay down the road but I don't care. I want that plane and if I can help get it to market by giving some money then I'm in.

I realize not everyone would feel the same as I do but that's the beauty of crowd funding, pay if you want to and ignore it if you don't.
          That would make two of us. I would be in for sure.

I've had mostly good experiences with the crowd funding endeavors I've participated in. Truthfully, regardless of what others say. I, "IN FACT" have gotten rewarded beyond my expectations. "So", I kinda think there might be some that would be threatened by something like this actually taking off. Kinda like the Model Airplane Journalist's thinking they're the only ones that can qualify to review a new model. LMFAO. As if they would know what I like about a model. LOL.

So the fact is, if Motion did ever decide to try something like this, I would support you on it, if it were a model I liked. 100%. This is the only thing that really matters as far as I'm concerned.

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

That would make two of us. I would be in for sure.

I've had mostly good experiences with the crowd funding endeavors I've participated in. Truthfully, regardless of what others say. I, "IN FACT" have gotten rewarded beyond my expectations. "So", I kinda think there might be some that would be threatened by something like this actually taking off. Kinda like the Model Airplane Journalist's thinking they're the only ones that can qualify to review a new model. LMFAO. As if they would know what I like about a model. LOL.

So the fact is, if Motion did ever decide to try something like this, I would support you on it, if it were a model I liked. 100%. This is the only thing that really matters as far as I'm concerned.

Woody
            And that is why this would never work anyway and is really a pointless conversation. Just look through this thread at all the random, obscure planes people swear would be such a great model to make. You think enough people could actually agree on which plane to do??? LOLLOLLOL

Comment

I'm not speaking for them, but I don't think there's any way MRC would do something like this. As they have stated, their business model requires secrecy, because idea poaching is rampant in this hobby. If it's going to get done, an independent hobbyist will have to take it on. Which contributes to all the factors we just referred to. Which means it ain't happening.
              You don't think Motion could just keep all of their secrets secret, and simply do one of these no secret things just to see if it worked? You're probably right! I'll just see how Hobbyking feels about the idea. LOL We will see.

Woody

Comment

• I would like crowd funding for my tequila please..... You guys pick the brand and quantity! I am easy.... :):Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::Drinks::wacky:S leeping2: Thanks!!!!!! :Smug:

Comment

... I'll just see how Hobbyking feels about the idea. LOL We will see.

Woody
                  Good luck with that...

Comment

You don't think Motion could just keep all of their secrets secret, and simply do one of these no secret things just to see if it worked? You're probably right! I'll just see how Hobbyking feels about the idea. LOL We will see.

Woody
                    Coming SOON!! LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

Coming SOON!! LOL
                      Ordered my Albatross today : ). It was soon enough.

Woody

Comment

Distrust of the process is just one of the reasons that this idea won't work. In addition to too small a community, inadequate interest in any one project, unequal ideas of fair pricing for a given set terms, etc. etc.
                        English translation: "Too many cooks spoil the broth".

Comment

• Personally I'd love to see an 80mm or 90mm Grumman F9F-5 Panther, super scale of course. The 64mm is nice but I want something BIG, with proper metal retracts, flaps, lights, all the goodies. Same goes for the F-86 and MiG-15. Big. REALLY big!
                          Tarasdad

Comment

• Ive come to the new idea, as im going to plan to rebuild my scratch built P39 with the center mounted motor as it is now, but build a gear box in the nose as per the original. Then 3d print a cannon to go through the center of the prop hub. I will also have the opening hatches so one can see the inner cannon. Some asshole on youtube done pissed me off. So its time for him to choke on the crap he spits from his mouth... game on MFer

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                              Some asshole on youtube done pissed me off. So its time for him to choke on the crap he spits from his mouth... game on MFer
                              Feed the trolls,
                              Tuppence a bag.
                              Tuppence, tuppence,
                              They're snarking on you....

:P

Comment

• Yeah true, but gonna do it anyway. Only because i can.:)

Comment

• Anyway back to the regular scheduled program. Give me my scale 1600mm hellcat!:)

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                    Yeah true, but gonna do it anyway. Only because i can.:)
                                    I understand. Many years ago, after seeing Southern Pacific's transfer caboose, SP-1, on a siding, I commented to a hobby shop employee about kit-bashing a regular HO scale bay window caboose into a model of it. He almost sneered when he said it couldn't be done.

I made a darned nice model of it, though I don't recall ever taking it back to that hobby shop to see if I could make him eat his words. Received numerous compliments on it at other hobby shops, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

I understand. Many years ago, after seeing Southern Pacific's transfer caboose, SP-1, on a siding, I commented to a hobby shop employee about kit-bashing a regular HO scale bay window caboose into a model of it. He almost sneered when he said it couldn't be done.
                                      And they wonder why local hobby shops are an endangered species.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

And they wonder why local hobby shops are an endangered species.
                                        But you'll miss em when they are gone. Trust me I've heard it all while standing behind the counter. While maybe you could do the mod to that caboose but trust me 99% of the people that walk through the door that think they could do it but will bring it in and expect me to do it for them and of course fro free. Here's a example of one of our customers handy work and this guy was a engineering professor at the university here.

Mike
                                        Attached Files
                                        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• LOLwow, love that zip tie mod lol!

Comment

Working...
                                          X