X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Martin S View Post
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions on mounting the Rx in my Venom.

With some careful teasing of the servo cables into the radio bay, I found that there was more spare length on the servo cables than I originally thought. So this allowed me to locate the Rx at the bottom of the fuselage under the rear of the flight battery shelf.
    To keep the 2 Rx aerials at 90 deg to each other (for diversity) I mounted the Rx on a piece of scrap plastic (old milk bottle!) with short lengths of hollow control snake hot glued to it, to hold the aerials in place. I then covered this with heat shrink.
    It was then easy to push the Rx down the slot behind the flight battery shelf and then around the corner to be under the shelf.
    I attach some photos to show what I did.
    Click image for larger version Name:	Rx location sm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.0 KB ID:	285293 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_64334.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	285294Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx mounting sm.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	285300
    Thanks again for your help.
    Looks like mine but yours is much tidier.

Comment

• Finally decided to buy the ARF + version of this plane and installed FreeWing 8S EDF and ESC. With 8S 5000 batteries it is a bit nose heavy, so will add some dead weight to the tail. I am not sure how many have tried this bird on 8S, but the ESC and battery compartments are very tight and minor modifications are required. I would say the 4000 battery setup would be perfect but I am not willing to invest in new batteries for only one jet.

Now the most difficult part is that the Jet flying season in Toronto is over and I need to wait until next near. I am interested to know your thoughts about my setup particularly on a CG around 95mm without adding weight.

Thanks, Hassan

Comment

• Hi guys, can someone please help me. After I assembled my Freewing venom v2, I hear a loud ticking sound coming from the ESC. When I plug a receiver battery into the receiver, I am able to move all the servos, ailerons, rudder etc but as soon as I plug the battery into the ESC battery connector, I get this ticking sound. The ESC won't arm and the servos don't move. What could be the problem here, I did all the servo leads to see that they were plugged in correctly too. 😕

Comment

• Originally posted by Shauncat View Post
          Hi guys, can someone please help me. After I assembled my Freewing venom v2, I hear a loud ticking sound coming from the ESC. When I plug a receiver battery into the receiver, I am able to move all the servos, ailerons, rudder etc but as soon as I plug the battery into the ESC battery connector, I get this ticking sound. The ESC won't arm and the servos don't move. What could be the problem here, I did all the servo leads to see that they were plugged in correctly too. 😕
          Any chance you could upload a video on youtube of the issue and share the link here?

Comment

• OK, I'll do that

Comment

• Since you're using a RX battery, did you disable the internal BEC?

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Any chance you could upload a video on youtube of the issue and share the link here?
                I loaded a video on my utube page

Comment

• Originally posted by Shauncat View Post

I loaded a video on my utube page
                  It would be easier, since you're the one asking for help, to just put a link up here. Searching YouTube for "Shauncat", all I get is some stupid channel with cartoon cats.

Comment

• My Venom has always exhibited a bit of steering instability on the takeoff roll. I have tried experimenting with different expo values and steering throws since I have owned her and even tried to tidy up the nose gear mechanically speaking but with limited success. So yesterday I managed to figure out where I could mount it (the Venom is pretty cramped under the canopy) and installed an Assan AG61. Today's departures all saw her track right down the centerline of the runway! Stoked! I thought this model was long out of production but I was surprised and happy to see that MotionRC has it back in stock!

Comment

• Comment

• Maybe it's been mentioned already and I just missed it; but where the manual shows the CG, it looks like it's measuring from the front of the cheater holes rather than the leading edge of the wing... this can't be correct, can it ? Everything I've ever seen measures from the leading edge of the wing root. Also, has anyone run HRB 5000 6S packs in these ? The packs are really light for a 5000 6S and I'm wondering if I'm going to need some lead in the nose to balance right. For reference, when I balanced my FW 262 it needed like 5oz of lead in the nose with the pack as far forward as it'll go... Also, for elevator travel, does about a half inch sound right to begin with ? I don't really care if I overtravel with the ailerons or rudder; this plane can't possibly have the insane roll rate or 3D rudder authority of some of my other stuff, should be pretty safe even if my guess is high.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikdys View Post
                          Relax - you've bought well :)

This plane flies really well and sounds absolutely awesome. Everybody at my flying field loves it and comes over to watch it fly. One "died in the wool build it with IC power hardliner" said to me that "it's the only foamie I've ever seen that I like!" That's high praise indeed.

Make sure you get the C/G right. I did this using a 6S 6,000 Admiral battery from Motion RC Europe. This battery just about squeezes in but the plane balances perfectly with it.

The only downside is getting the landings right (whatever you do don't try to land with any power - unless into a strong headwind - you need to bring it in slow like a glider). The problem is the undercarriage legs compress on their springs and then bounce the plane upwards, if you land too heavily or fast, and it catches some air and then crashes down into the ground. I've damaged, and repaired, the nose and wing roots about 6 times now! It's got enough power so, if it bounces, give it full throttle and climb away to go round again. A bounce WILL result in damage otherwise. Come in around the 3 minute mark so you've got plenty of battery left to go around.

I'll admit it - I've given up trying to land on the undercarriage. I take off on it and then belly land it like a glider. I've put a skid on the fan cover hatch and covered the bottom of the model in clear plastic film. This way I can land it on the grass every time without damage even if I do come in a bit fast (it will skid along on the grass for 100 metres or so on a "bad one" which is way better than catching any damage).

I'd suggest a belly landing on grass first time out, bring it in as slow as you can with no power and pretend it's a glider. If you find you can get it down slow and with a short "slow down skid" then maybe try the undercarriage next time. Alternatively, try an undercarriage landing and go around if it bounces and fall back on a belly landing. You might find you don't have any problems with it but, if you do, either land it on it's belly like me or try the replacement undercarriage that Xviper recommends.

HTH
                          Glad I'm not the only one who's had this thought. I'm not a big fan of tricycle gear because the nose gear is so likely to snap off on any given touchdown (I fly off a grass field). Looking at the Venom's belly, my first thought was I bet this is a perfect belly lander.

Comment

• Not just a thought - I've completed a number of belly landings and all AOK with no damage other than the (water based oem!) paint rubbing off and hence the clear film protection. Also, you can still use full flaps and they don't hit the deck

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikdys View Post
                              Not just a thought - I've completed a number of belly landings and all AOK with no damage other than the (water based oem!) paint rubbing off and hence the clear film protection. Also, you can still use full flaps and they don't hit the deck
                              What about crap getting into the cheaper holes? Mine loads up the fan with grass even with the gear down.

Comment

• I only fly it when the grass is dry (can’t do so in the current “monsoons” in the UK!). I brush out any grass getting in the esc vent and it’s not really been an issue. Note that I do have a 1cm deep “belly skid” glued on and this takes the brunt of the landings.

Comment

• Ready for maiden flight.
                                  This is my second Venom.
                                  The first one Elevator servo failed while coming out of a dive.
                                  So this time around:
                                  1. I installed a Hitec 3kg torque servo on Elevator.
                                  2. Changed the hardware
                                  3. Painted the SAAF Vampire Livery
                                  4. Installed 3W Led lights

Maiden flight video to follow soon

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210106_015541_426.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	293209

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210106_003008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	293210

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210104-WA0083.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	33.6 KB ID:	293211
                                  New Hardware Installed

Attached Files

Comment

• good work there. are you running them through stock led controller? also can you share the link to those leds please

Comment

• Originally posted by subhan.nasir View Post
                                      good work there. are you running them through stock led controller? also can you share the link to those leds please
                                      Hello Subhan
                                      Happy new Year
                                      Yes, I am running them on the standard controller.
                                      it has 3 slots for 1w to 5w LED.
                                      I bought the lights at Communica is South Africa.
                                      Their Website is : https://www.communica.co.za/

Comment

• Maiden flight Done and Dusted.
                                        What an awesome EDF.
                                        Handling, speed, whoosh sound and appearance.

Our airfield is at 4300ft, Pretoria Radio Flyers at South Africa

More information is on the video description

Comment

• BraPapaD I don't know if I've seen how fast that jet goes until now! Great video! Nice work on the jet!

Comment

Working...
                                          X