X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about an Airliner?

What does the HS community think about an airliner for an upcoming Motion RC plane?

If you like the idea, post your wish list in terms of type of plane, wingspan, EDF size, scale features, color schemes, etc. Throw out any idea, big or small.

I would love to have a big "Jet Airliner" especially a large military version:Cool:

TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

There are only 2 that come to mind and both fulfilled military and civilian roles.
      And I know that Alpha has a soft spot for either of these ;)

First is the Lockheed Hudson. Perfect for 1600 size
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Lockheed_A-29_Hudson.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	115017

The other is the Lockheed "Connie". An absolute must at 2000mm

Name:	Lockheed Connie.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	115018
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

A request for an airliner has been coming up once in a while. The last time it was mentioned I suggested the Boeing 767 since the new KC-46 Pegasus tanker is also based off the same airframe.

Pros:
        Could be offered as an airliner or tanker
        Simpler twin EDF compared to a quad.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1200px-Delta_Air_Lines_B767-332_RE.jpg Views:	2 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	115020

Name:	kc46_f16_highres_RE.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	115025

Comment

Lol TI I love that band reminds me of the good ole days.

Comment

Here is a good graphic of the KC-46 that highlights some more details.

Name:	KC-46 04.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	115033

Comment

I'm sure it will never happen, and it wouldn't be a popular choice, but if they made a DC-8, I would have to buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                I'm sure it will never happen, and it wouldn't be a popular choice, but it they made a DC-8, I would have to buy one.
                it's a great looking plane, but those smaller nacelles may be difficult to keep scale and still put a big enough EDF to get it off the ground.

Comment

For prop airliners, I know I might get some flak for suggesting it, but a 1700mm size DC-3/C-47 with scale gear, and a bit of washout to tame the slow flight qualities would really be a winner all around. There has never been a "proper" rendition of this icon done in foam, and there are infinite schemes and mods out there for it.

On the EDF side, I'd love to see a 4x 64mm B-747. It would a complex monstrosity to be sure, but there is no other airliner that is so universally recognizable. Paint schemes and mod possibilities would be endless, from Air Force One to the Shuttle Carrier and Airborne Laser.

Comment

My first wish will always be for the Concorde. It's the one remaining Unicorn in this hobby. Would also love the Connie. Any of the Boeing classics would be sweet. Dreamliner, 747, 727, 737, etc... MD DC-3/8/9/10...
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Passenger airliners, military transports, refuelers, anything sounds great! I know someone spoke of the wind rider 737 airftame is a great template for Freewing gear, some have already done it.

Comment

Keep the ideas coming everyone. More details on size, features, etc will help.

Comment

Oh yea lets get the plans out and get us some jetliners !! I can smell the fuel burning right now. Another jet is this Boeing 727.

Comment

I would absolutely love to see us carry an airliner class. I'm sure it would do well. I would prefer an airliner like I prefer my warbirds and jets. The bigger the better. Of course size of EDF would quickly warrant what's reasonable and what's not when keeping with a scale profile. A quad 90mm 747 would be sick but most of us don't have 3.500sqft runways.

LOL

I would think 64mm to 80mm would be most logical for most airframes. I wouldn't be motivated to buy an airliner that is more on the micro/small side. The 70-80mm range would probably hit the most notes for most, IMO.
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                              I would absolutely love to see us carry an airliner class. I'm sure it would do well. I would prefer an airliner like I prefer my warbirds and jets. The bigger the better. Of course size of EDF would quickly warrant what's reasonable and what's not when keeping with a scale profile. A quad 90mm 747 would be sick but most of us don't have 3.500sqft runways.

LOL

I would think 64mm to 80mm would be most logical for most airframes. I wouldn't be motivated to buy an airliner that is more on the micro/small side. The 70-80mm range would probably hit the most notes for most, IMO.
                              That is an interesting thought - I agree with you that bigger is better but I wonder about the economics (of production). I'm sure you could find a mfg in the far east to make some airliners for MRC in the 64mm class all day long. But they'll be small and relatively simple. If you could bring out some airliners in the 80mm size that would be incredible, I could imagine a B757 for example (it has nice big fans) and it would be a beautiful model around 1500mm with flaps and retracts. But I can't imagine the investment to develop that.... So I think its more likely we'll see small ones, and they'll be "OK" but won't be of great interest to me. <sigh>.

Name:	American_Airlines_Boeing_757-200_N605AA_SJC.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	115173
                              Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

However... 64mm could work for the big boys. For example - a B52 with eight 64mm fans would have a 4000mm wingspan (4M = around 13 feet). that would be a lot of fun!
                                Mold each wing half separately and make the fuse in two pieces (held together with magnets).
                                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Originally posted by themudduck View Post

That is an interesting thought - I agree with you that bigger is better but I wonder about the economics (of production). I'm sure you could find a mfg in the far east to make some airliners for MRC in the 64mm class all day long. But they'll be small and relatively simple. If you could bring out some airliners in the 80mm size that would be incredible, I could imagine a B757 for example (it has nice big fans) and it would be a beautiful model around 1500mm with flaps and retracts. But I can't imagine the investment to develop that.... So I think its more likely we'll see small ones, and they'll be "OK" but won't be of great interest to me. <sigh>.
                                  All good points which is why I think it's a good idea to gauge interest on size...If we see a lot of push for larger size then it could be worth the investment for the higher production costs if the demand warrants it. It's a small sample size here on Hobby Squawk but I would imagine the results could be extrapolated to assume the same general results around the RC aircraft community as a whole. As you and themudduck mentioned, size would definitely be relative based on the aircraft (64mm fans on a B-52 would be quite large, where the 757 due to the large nacelles could be a nice 70/80mm twin at a good size.
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

One of the few good things that happened last November while passing 40 hours at Sea-Tac was this, I believe, 777 land. It was in the original American Airlines colors, complete with the eagle and lightning stripes. And all polished aluminum, I did a big double take and forgot I had my camera handy.
                                    Looked something like this...

Name:	pXXoY.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	115204
                                    Except it was a quad engined jet with the eagle on the side of the fuse, anyone else seen this bird?? It was sure pretty.....

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

All good points which is why I think it's a good idea to gauge interest on size...If we see a lot of push for larger size then it could be worth the investment for the higher production costs if the demand warrants it. It's a small sample size here on Hobby Squawk but I would imagine the results could be extrapolated to assume the same general results around the RC aircraft community as a whole. As you and themudduck mentioned, size would definitely be relative based on the aircraft (64mm fans on a B-52 would be quite large, where the 757 due to the large nacelles could be a nice 70/80mm twin at a good size.
                                      Exactly. Well, I think that if you offered an airliner in the 70/80mm class, with the typical quality and features that we enjoy in this size, that it would be quite popular. Obviously it could be decorated any number of ways.

Comment

Yes I would snag a Freewing Twin 80mm 737/757/787 in a heartbeat. Callie would be even more busier than she already is with the numerous airliner liveries!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                        X