Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice that Motion is thinking that an airliner might be a future product. I am surprised at the seemingly low level of interest in airliners but hope that a poll might indicate enough for someone to invest in a $300/$400 60" span foamy. I take my old, stock, E-Flight model out every month and though getting a bit ratty it still flies well and garners interest at the field -- does great T&G's.
    Attached Files

Comment

• I may be late to the discussion but would like add my 2 cents here. I'm a big fan of RC airliners. In order for the plane to fare well in the RC community, the plane of choice needs to be a popular type (with a high bypass ratio turbofan). As we have seen, the 737 by Windrider is a winner as the 737 is the world's most popular type to have ever been produced. Windrider also had plans to produce the 747 and it garnered a lot of interest but they ended up shelving the 747. The 747 is iconic, recognizable and would certainly be popular in the RC community. Disadvantage as other mentioned is the need for 4 EDFs albeit, 2 EDFs may work. Military variants such as DC-10/KC-10 would do well.

Comment

• Yes please! 737 or anything really. There is such a lack of rc airliners on the market!

Comment

• This new aerial firefighting tanker has made me look at the 747 in a whole new way. :Thinking:

Comment

• I'm working up a 2M wingspan A330-300 for 3D printing and hoping to have tested by spring so I can then release the files. Another person who printed a 1.8M L-39 is also has a 2.5M 737 under development for 3D printing as well.

Got a build thread going on here for anyone interested

Comment

• Airliners airliners airliners, and all that on a Prusa?!?
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                Airliners airliners airliners, and all that on a Prusa?!?
                3D printing definitely opens up a lot of new possibilities!

Comment

• aircraft#52 in the Tengarang Fleet

Manufacturing Operation Tengarang Star Alliance / build work in progress. 4 EDF's only two shown in pic as this is a Work in progress progress for the winter season.

"Tengarang Airlines Flight 911"

64mm EDF 12 blade QX motor 3500KV 4s application

stay tuned...

Comment

• Is this real? Or am I in the RC Twilight Zone??? There is actually an interest in airliner models? I know I like them, but get pretty much beat down every time I bring them up.

Woody

Comment

• I can’t see myself buying a model of a commercial jet airliner, and I can’t immagine one being a big seller.

Comment

• Here it comes! I'd sure buy one. Would like to see some for sure. If it flys well, and looks good I'm sure it would sell at least as good as a B-17. Many, many more people could identify with it, unless it was a Nord. Then probably not.

Woody

Comment

• I am crossing my fingers we will one day introduce a commercial airliner class...I too am surprised this isn't a larger sector of the market given the ubiquitous nature of those aircraft.
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                            I am crossing my fingers we will one day introduce a commercial airliner class...I too am surprised this isn't a larger sector of the market given the ubiquitous nature of those aircraft.
                            LOL well I just can't resist saying: its not a big sector right now because MOTION hasn't been offering them!!

I mean, there are some airliners out there but they haven't been mass-marketed by a company that really cares about proper design, price point, and performance like Motion does. I think Horizon had an Airbus, at least for a short time. We saw a B-747 from FlyFly here on the forums a short time ago. And I have seen others out there which are either scratch-built or custom-made models that are extremely expensive, well that's fine but its not what we need.. I can't see any reason why Motion wouldn't be very successful introducing a whole line of scale airliners from Freewing in the same size range as what we've already seen, for example twin 70mm's with a single battery would work well. Or you could use the smaller 64mm EDF units with 4-engine planes like the DC-8, B-707 and B-747, or Airbus 380 and have a LOT of fun in a relatively small package. Go to 80mm and the larger planes could accommodate some really neat features like scale multi-wheel bogies, flaps and slats, and so on. Having a scale EDF airliner with thrust reversers would be extremely cool!

And of course we're not talking only about EDF airliners, there are a number of propeller airliners that would also be very cool - classics like the DC-3, DC-4, DC-6, the Boeing 314 Clipper, up to the Boeing Stratocruiser and Lockheed Constellation, and modern turboprops from Fokker, BAe, ATR, Bombardier, Embraer, etc.. One by one... and before you know it Motion RC would be the king of the airliners! (Like Alpha says, you'll have everything eventually!) Right on!
                            Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                              I am crossing my fingers we will one day introduce a commercial airliner class...I too am surprised this isn't a larger sector of the market given the ubiquitous nature of those aircraft.
                              Aros, nice of you to keep an open mind mate. It's offical! You're my pal. LOL

When I brought up the C-130, I was basically totally beat down by a lot of posters here. Let me see, what would you do with that, it will just be a cult model, only good for flying around in patterns, etc.

Ya just can't deny the interest level once HK announced one. I suggest the same thing will happen with a nice 737.

They just need to look and fly well, and be affordably, it's really just that simple.

Woody

Comment

• I would consider one if its sub $450.

Comment

• Airliners are actually what i prefer most, as they are the growth factor which put my passion in to the airplane niche. From my perspective most people i talk to online are interested in Airliners, its because of the "Beat Down" effect that usually keeps most of us silent as there is no real road map incentive or enough interest to drive such a campaign. Once stream lined i think folks will tend to be more brave to voice out their true feelings given the healthy ongoing momentum.

I am actually a war bird fan myself but if i had it my way, the Airliner niche would take its place in a nano second.

I love the Flightline / FW brand The warbirds are nice i own the B-24 and the Mig21. I fly the 24 almost every week. I flew the 21 only twice....it looks good but doesnt do much for me as i was peer pressured in to getting a big EDF 6s class... which is fine.

Im considered to be the odd duck out in my area i suppose, most love the military EDF's... they just dont do much for me, in a way im glad these are the newer releases keeping my wallet safe.

Comment

• Having to travel for work, I lost a lot of interest in airliners since I see them so often and they aren't very enjoyable to be around as a passenger. Of course, there are a lot of commercial airliners that aren't linked to my dislike of work travel. A 747 is still one of the most beautiful jet aircraft ever designed and very few modern planes have so much grace in the air. Boeing 707/KC-135 is also a very good looking aircraft. But if I was in the market for an airliner, it would be a DC-3 or Constellation. There is just something special about the early years of commercial aviation that are lost in the modern jets.

Comment

• So here's the deal, how hard would it be to do quite a few twin engine airliners. I like a 737, but honestly there are a whole host of others. But if ya look at the existing, "80mm Freewing A-10 Thunderbolt", or a, "70mm Freewing Me 262" you would have all the necessary electronic components to make a B-737, B-757, B-767 (Don't do this one very ugly plane) as well as many, many others, (an MD-88 would be cool too). So you basically have all the necessary electronic design work already done. Landing gear will need a bit of a rework, nothing to major I think, minimal stuff. So all this work is basically done already. Ya just need the develop a working air frame. I know this is the hardest part, but basically all that other work is already done.

I would recommend a B-737, B-757, or an MD-88, (MD-88 would be stunning on take offs). They're all good looking jet airliners. Hard spars in the wings and tail feathers are a must, (remember there will be scale flyers, and flyers that want to do loops and rolls, so we need it to be strong). Hope to see it some day, seriously not holding my breath.

In regards to making one, and the marketability of one you need to consider this. I like Phantoms, many people here love this jet. But the reason most of us love it, is we're old dogs, (Not All) and have some history with the Phantom. It is a beautiful jet but many young people could care less and have never even seen one. So if a plane developer believes they have all the customers they need in this hobby, why develop a B-737? Well, as far as exposure almost everyone has ridden on one of these jets at one time or another. It was developed about the same time as a C-130, & the Phantom, and is still widely in service to this day, with no foreseeable end in sight. The jet has had maximum exposure. So young people see one of these flying around, might get hooked. This equals new young customers added to the hobby. More customers naturally equals more sales, and who knows, the new guys might see the L-39, and just have to have one. Generally people like things they can relate too.

So you can dispute it, but I think my logic is pretty evident. The argument that, "NO ONE WOULD WANT IT", doesn't fly with a nice airliner any more than it did with the C-130. People will want it, especially if Freewing makes it.

Best Regards
                                      Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
                                        Having to travel for work, I lost a lot of interest in airliners since I see them so often and they aren't very enjoyable to be around as a passenger. Of course, there are a lot of commercial airliners that aren't linked to my dislike of work travel. A 747 is still one of the most beautiful jet aircraft ever designed and very few modern planes have so much grace in the air. Boeing 707/KC-135 is also a very good looking aircraft. But if I was in the market for an airliner, it would be a DC-3 or Constellation. There is just something special about the early years of commercial aviation that are lost in the modern jets.
                                        You've been riding in coach too much. I travel commercially quite a bit too. It's still there, just cost more. But I agree, old airliners are cool too, especially a Lockheed Super Constellation, ya know there not as big in real life as they look in the pictures. Just FYI. DC-3's are nice, but they're all over the place.

Woody

Comment

• Imagine a Super Connie painted up in a Jolly Rogers livery. Or a 737 in Vietnam era camo. I know that would give the purists heart attack's but I would do it in a second! I would absolutely love a bit twin airliner or a nice crossover prop job. I have plenty of jets but sometimes get just as much enjoyment farting around in my CZ 150 doing touch-n-goes. Look up Ramy RC and see what he's done with airliners. Super impressive to watch the details he builds into his airliners. One of my tours in Antarctica we went to the crash site of one of our old Connies. I scratched my name into one of the vertical stabs (as was tradition) before it was taken off by civilians. Nobody knows what happened to them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X