Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am very much interested in the 8S set up. What is the approximate take off and landing distance. Only have 200 ft of asphalt at home flying field

Thanks Ron

Comment

• Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
      Off topic but one more story. I live in a retirement community with many ex aviators (including U-2 , SR-71, F-4, A-4 and "Marine 1" pilots). Anyway was flying an old Lander Panther and a lady came up and said -- my father flew those may I bring him out to see it sometime? So we arranged a time and he came, in wheelchair and told many stories and was so thrilled to see his old plane in the air. He retired from the Navy after setting up an LSO school in Jacksonville. Was shot down in his Wildcat. The thing is this man was so thrilled to see something that surely bought back many memories. He had written a book "Their Life In My Hands" (LSO's) and gave me a signed copy after the flights -- I offered him some Buddy box time but he said that he had wiped out to many airplanes already !

Couldn't we all just listen for hours to these very old vets while they tell their stories as though it was just a walk in the park .

These are the off topic posts that I really enjoy. Thanks for sharing. I just had to look up the book and found his story. We owe so much to this generation. I pasted his story below. His picture is also featured on the webpage: http://www.ocala.com/news/20051128/c...in-the-us-navy

Just prior to World War II Edgar Mikronis was in the process of becoming a Mechanical Engineer, attending Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. He was also pursuing a degree in Aeronautical Engineering.
      He found the government was offering an opportunity to join the Civil Air Patrol. Edgar had been interested in flying most of his life, and decided to sign up. Due to a surly examiner, Edgar was unable to complete the exam and had to put his flying ambitions on hold temporarily.
      A couple of years later an Army Air Corps recruiting team was on campus interviewing students to join the Air Corps. A determined Mikronis went over and this time aced the exam.
      Waiting for the Air Corps to call him up was more than he could bear. His brother-in-law was heading for New Orleans to join the Navy Aviation Cadet Program. This seemed like a good plan of action to Edgar.
      Edgar began his flight training at nearby Lake Pontchartrain. The first aircraft he trained on was a bi-plane called a Navy N3N. After meeting and surpassing the initial flight requirements, he was sent to Corpus Christi, for advanced flight training to become a Naval Aviator. Shortly after he arrived while watching a movie, word came the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor.
      After months of intense flight training Edgar was assigned to the USS Ranger, an aircraft carrier. Immediately after boarding the Ranger Edgar began training for the invasion of Africa. On Nov. 8, 1942 Edgar’s group began flying missions off the coast of Casablanca. While flying one of these missions, Edgar was shot down and received severe injuries including a broken jaw. When he regained consciousness, the enemy had surrounded him. Taken prisoner, he endured untold hardships before being liberated by American troops.
      Edgar was taken to a ship to receive medical care for his injuries. After receiving a clean bill of health, he returned to the Ranger and was informed that he was to attend school to become a Landing Signal Officer or LSO. Edgar traveled to Jacksonville to begin his training. The LSO is responsible for all aircraft that land on the carrier.
      In September of 1943 Edgar was assigned to Air Group 50 where he trained pilots on the USS Bataan, a CVL class carrier. After much training, the Bataan sailed to Pearl Harbor.
      The Bataan saw action all over the Pacific. Just as Edgar’s duty on the Bataan was about to end and he was to return to the States, the Navy informed him of a change of plans. He had to replace another LSO on the USS Franklin.
      One night a huge explosion rocked the Franklin. Edgar was literally blown into the frigid water. The ship was badly damaged and somehow through sheer determination, the crew limped back to Pearl and finally to the Brooklyn Navy Shipyard where it underwent extensive repairs.
      After a brief leave, Edgar was ordered to Jacksonville to start a LSO school. Edgar trained the new LSO candidates in all aspects of aircraft carrier landings. While there the Japanese surrendered and shortly after Edgar returned to civilian life.
      Edgar received many military medals and citations for his bravery including the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, and various other service medals with seven battle stars.
      To read more about the exploits of Edgar and his fellow sailors you might want to find his book called “Their Life In My Hands” published by Mountain Lake Publishing, 2142 Coosa Way, Blairsville GA 30512.

Comment

• Oh joy! Jolly Rogers paradise. Thanks Callie!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180220_181211.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	119016
        I have my decals, my drag chute materials and my :Not-Talking:. I need to order some paint and the 3DPUP parts when available.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
          Oh joy! Jolly Rogers paradise. Thanks Callie!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180220_181211.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	119016
          I have my decals, my drag chute materials and my :Not-Talking:. I need to order some paint and the 3DPUP parts when available.
          Did you get nomenclature decals from Callie also? I shoulda thought of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

Did you get nomenclature decals from Callie also? I shoulda thought of that.
            Yes but I almost forgot to order them as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
              Callie comes through again! Now I need an F-4 to put them on. Patience! But, I can't wait........!
              I see you are waiting for a base grey version. ;)

Comment

• The pics of the F-4 that Robin Olds flew on May 10th 1967 from Wright Patterson Air Force Museum. First 20. Sorry didn't get the #2 side. It is inaccessible at the moment, they are rearranging things for the reveal of the 12-13 year restoration of the "Memphis Bell" on May 17th 2018. Can't wait! I will update when it is accessible again.

Comment

• The pics of the F-4 that Robin Olds flew on May 10th 1967 from Wright Patterson Air Force Museum. Next 20.

Comment

• The pics of the F-4 that Robin Olds flew on May 10th 1967 from Wright Patterson Air Force Museum.
                    The final 5

Comment

• It's a shame that plane was reschemed and then repainted, rather than being left in combat condition

Comment

• Thanks for all the pics! Those will definitely help with making any stencils that Callie may have missed.
                        Pat

Comment

• I love reading all these stories, guys. Someone should start a separate "War Stories" thread so we can all enjoy them and contribute in one dedicated place. Warms my heart to read these stories!

To those planning a drag chute mod for their Freewing 90mm F-4, it's going to be tight. Here are some measurements to get you started.

Remove the aft cover (three screws). There is lots of space opposite the elevator servo for a servo to open/close the drag chute door. You'll probably need to bend the control wire to avoid the elevator bearing housing.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180221_150544.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	119156

Overall length from base to aft tip of the bay:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180221_150335.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.2 KB ID:	119154
                          Width and length of the available space aft of the bearing housing. I would either bore out most of the foam, or replace the foam entirely with a 3DP piece. This would make it thin but strong. Don't remove too much material around the bearing housing itself, obviously. Reinforce as needed. Needless to say any mods voids the factory warranty.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180221_150450.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	119159Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180221_150424.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.4 KB ID:	119160

I quickly cut a "circle" from the thinnest fabric I could find at the local general store (sorry, guys, I don't have time to make this pretty). I imagine silk would be thinner. This material I found is a mesh, which may function better in the RC world in this small scale to breathe air instead of capture too much of it. It would be difficult to sew, though. Notice the "pill" can fit inside the area aft of the parachute housing. 3DP walls are looking more appealing/necessary in this area. Without too much difficulty, I can envision a bellcrank mechanism that both opens the doors and pushes the drag chute out a little so it catches the wind, all driven by one servo. Freewing used a spring-loaded mech in their 90mm Fiat G91, albeit that model had much more space in this area.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180221_151405.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	119158Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180221_151620.jpg Views:	2 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	119162

That should be enough to start. Steve and Co, get to it :)
                          Attached Files
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Awesome! That you Alpha. This will help alot.

Comment

• Thanks Alpha!

Comment

• I was imagining a little air scope on a printed part that would divert a little thrust to pop it out, similar to a tiny cheater vent

Comment

• I just found these great videos of how someone installed a custome drag chute on their turbine F-4. There are some good design ideas from these videos that could help some of you trying to do the same.

Installing the Chute

Comment

• Hey Guys,

Just checking in here and I noticed, or at least I think I noticed, that there was a lack of videos of this fine jet posted here...

I shot quite a few videos last weekend at AEF, and here's some eye candy for those who are anxiously awaiting the release of this stunning new jet!

I'll post 'em up in the sequence I shot them - the evening flights are just a sight to behold!

First up, is the DEBUT FLIGHT of the 90mm F-4 Phantom II by Tony "xplaneguy" Accurso!

Please take it easy on me if these videos have already been posted or linked here....Enjoy the show!

Comment

• Great videos I loved them !

Comment

• Thanks brother!

For those who may not have seen these yet, here's another...these evening flights were absolutely surreal!

This time we have Tony taking her up as night approaches...showing to great effect the outstanding light package this model has!

Watching a beautiful plane being flown by an outstanding pilot....what a way to end the day!

Enjoy the Show!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                                          I just found these great videos of how someone installed a custome drag chute on their turbine F-4. There are some good design ideas from these videos that could help some of you trying to do the same
                                          Pretty slick.

Mike
                                          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Working...
                                          X