X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bbaumer View Post
    It appears the canopy mod may require some repaint, any chance We can get some information on the factory paint for matching purposes ?
    Hi Bbaumer, I addressed this back on post #421 but it's already buried, haha. Here's a link to the post, and I also edited Post #1 with this information. As these threads grow, the OPs are going to try and put the answers to common questions back into Post #1, so in the months/years to come, people can get straight to Post #1 to get all the primary information, rather than reading through hundreds of pages. Hopefully this helps organize useful information for generations of RC enthusiasts as these threads age. It will take us some time to migrate key information to Post #1 for all our major product announcement threads, but as that effort gains traction, please help us spread the word to check Post #1 first for general questions. If something isn't there, ask it in the body of the thread and we'll answer it there (like I'm doing now) and also put the answer into Post #1.

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...-thread?q=ammo

Thanks!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Nice job Alpha on the canopy mod. What tool did you use to cut the canopies?
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Two new X-acto blades and about 20 minutes. Don't slip!

Comment

• Here is a war story.....

My buddy and I were bored and had nothing to do at the Da Nang air base. So we smoked a “dubbie”, took a navy pick up and followed a fully loaded F-4 down the taxi way. Then the F-4 turned on the runway and we pulled up behind him. Since he was fully loaded, he needed full after burners and the whole runway to take off. While he was revving up. All we saw was 2 red blasts of flame and the truck was violent shaking! We were screaming with delight! Then it dawned on us that the windshield could blow in or the truck could get blown over. After the F-4 took off we drove off, covered with sweat. Boy, that was stupid, we kept repeating to each other! One does dumb things in a war zone.

SJ

Comment

• Sherriffjohn, welcome to Hobby Squawk and thank you for your service and sacrifice! And thanks for the story, I'm glad the windshield held!

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post

Don’t get too excited just yet. Last I heard, it was only for an 80mm outrunner. Surely he’s been fielding requests for 90s as well as people should just stock pile these things! I’ve been keeping tabs on this project as well and am hoping for an official word very soon. It looks fantastic!
              Not only that, but two more issues with this implementation occur to me. One, how well is this going to work (reflection/brightness-wise) in this bifurcated outlet? In Jon's thread, he seems to be very concerned with angles and reflection... Second, I'm no expert in the fluid dynamics of DF drive thrust pipes, but won't tacking something on the back of a fan in the middle of the airflow almost certainly cost you some thrust?

Seems to me that the external ring idea is much easier... and it sure looks just as good in that video I posted.

Comment

• Good questions RickVB.
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Post removed
                  Last edited by wolpertinger; Feb 16, 2018, 02:06 PM. Reason: post removed

Comment

• Originally posted by RickVB View Post

Not only that, but two more issues with this implementation occur to me. One, how well is this going to work (reflection/brightness-wise) in this bifurcated outlet? In Jon's thread, he seems to be very concerned with angles and reflection... Second, I'm no expert in the fluid dynamics of DF drive thrust pipes, but won't tacking something on the back of a fan in the middle of the airflow almost certainly cost you some thrust?

Seems to me that the external ring idea is much easier... and it sure looks just as good in that video I posted.
                    The thing is like looking at the sun so it will light up the entire bifurcated outlet and any degradation of thrust will likely be negligible. Some aluminum tape helps to reflect the light as well. It definitely provides a unique effect that I think is better than the AB rings that are out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                      TPS, I completely agree, Air-Jon's unique motor tube mounted afterburner design is an amazing design and I hope people support him with direct orders. I need to talk to him again!
                      Alpha,
                      I hope you can stock this item - it will sell well because it beats anything out there!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

The thing is like looking at the sun so it will light up the entire bifurcated outlet and any degradation of thrust will likely be negligible. Some aluminum tape helps to reflect the light as well. It definitely provides a unique effect that I think is better than the AB rings that are out there.
                        Have you even looked at the video I posted (post #361)? Please take a look at just the first 30 seconds, and then go back and watch the video from Jon's thread of his Mig-21 in flight, and tell me it's better...

Comment

Have you even looked at the video I posted (post #361)? Please take a look at just the first 30 seconds, and then go back and watch the video from Jon's thread of his Mig-21 in flight, and tell me it's better...
                          We'll, the 1st video with the F-104 does look better but you must consider that the illuminated area is much larger. Additionally, this video was shot in what seems to be 4k vs st def on the 2nd video. I haven't seen this 2nd video until now but I can tell you that, when compared to my edf ab rings F-16. F-14, Mig-21, I definitely see no less luminescence with air jons... probably more (I have lined mine duct area with silver paint). One big difference is that the lighted area is much more uniform... the led squares do not stand out.

Comment

Rick, I did watch the video and I was there in person when he made that flight. It looks like a typical AB ring. I have one of AirJon's center-burners in my own Mig-21 and it is much more realistic because it is up in the duct outlet. It is better in my opinion based on personal experience.

Comment

• Great! So you can answer my second question, did you observe any performance difference after installing it?

Comment

• None.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                  Definitely on my list! In the F-4, the only thing that would be missing is that ground shaking roar!!

Grossman56
                                  and the black smoke
                                  www.TSHobbies.com
                                  Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Ok gents I have not posted on this forum much cause when I first signed up there was not many folks signed up and not much info so I stayed with RCG. I have a question for a Nam era pilot or mechanic, was this Holloman AFB livery shown in the picture in the war or was it just a livery for there drone program? I also asked this question on RCG but they are stuck on gatoring of the foam.

Thanks
                                    Bruce

Comment

• Bruce,

The livery you posted is for Detachment 1 of the 82nd Ariel Targets Squadron. The 82nd ATRS was not even formed until 1981, so there is no way that livery would have been in Vietnam. However, F-4s from Holloman with the 49th Fighter Wing did deploy to Thailand in 1972 in support of operations in Vietnam.
                                      Pat

Comment

• This Freewing F4 is a super good looking model and I would love to have one but not until Motion vastly improves their quality control and develop some costumer service. I’ve purchased 3 models from them and only one of them didn’t have major problems out of the box. Their customer service on those defective models didn’t suck only because there wasn’t any. I can only hope Horizon picks up the Freewing line the way they did the FMS line. I’ve always loved the F4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Warbird Dan View Post
                                          This Freewing F4 is a super good looking model and I would love to have one but not until Motion vastly improves their quality control and develop some costumer service. I’ve purchased 3 models from them and only one of them didn’t have major problems out of the box. Their customer service on those defective models didn’t suck only because there wasn’t any. I can only hope Horizon picks up the Freewing line the way they did the FMS line. I’ve always loved the F4.
                                          Not been my experience with them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X