X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
    Did not see an answer from Motion about what swayed the choice to the 6 cell/9 blade set up versus the existing Freewing 90mm 6 cell/12blade set up. Obviously a lower amp draw but was the "no cheater" an influence ? Flying weight ? Flying time ?
    I have the ARF+ on order so obviously need a power package of which I have various 6 cell/90mm options available in my stash --- if they will work in the F-4 ?
    I'm not sure if you're the same guy who asked this question on RCG, but the short answer is that ALL the usual key factors influenced our decision. Weight, cost, efficiency, flight performance. If you're contemplating which of your own powerplants to use in your F-4 ARF+, ensure it meets or exceeds the general specs of the stock PNP setup for best results. At a bare minimum, the FW 90mm 6s 1550kv 12B or equivalent. I didn't like how it flew on anything less. The 16xxkv inrunners work nicely.

In general the ARF+ is intended for pilots who will install systems more powerful than the stock PNP. My one caution is to avoid underpowering this or any model, especially a big, scale EDF.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Alright Gents, listen up!
      Here's your official debrief from the debut of the new 90mm Phantom at Arizona Electric Festival. We flew the smack out of it, and got very positive response from the crowd.

Also very pleased to announce that Mr. Tony Accurso won an award for flying the Phantom at this event!

Without further adieu - your flight review:

The Proto we flew at this event is equipped with the stock 6s power system. We flew it this weekend on 5000's and 5800's at the CG location that will come recommended in your manuals. I felt it could come back a little, but she flew great at this setting.

Takeoff is piece of cake. The wide stance of the gear, plus the forward location of the main gear make rotation very predictable - no tendency to leap off the ground. From there by the time you suck up the gear she's on step and ready to rock... no doubt due to the superb ducting and powerful 6s system (Thanks Alpha ).

Like most jets, I find myself pulling power back on the downwind leg. She'll happily cruise just above half throttle. Acceleration once you pour on the coals is fast! It's a big airplane with a ton of presence... on a full power "burner pass" she really looks like she could be doing Mach 2! Pull the nose back into the vertical and you'll be rewarded with an impressive climb out; she is definitely no slouch.

Inverted flight is pretty effortless both fast and slow. She is a Phantom, be prepared to feed in top pressure. On fast inverted, I found myself holding about 25% forward stick and closer to 50-60% on slower passes... of course, with plenty of authority left to climb and manuever.

Rolling and turning are non-events. Despite all the bends and kinks in the iconic airframe, nudge the stick left/right, let go, and she'll hold that attitude effortlessly. Thus aileron rolls are easy and look *really* good the slower you do them! Turn radius is also quite impressive. Pull tight on the stick and you'll be turned around in about one second... totally non-scale, but she handles it well. Just remember to let her build up some energy before moving on to the next manuever.

Stalls are straightforward... no tendency to rock wings or snap. Just drop the nose, add power and you're back to flying right away.

Slow flight is a real pleasure too. Muuuch slower than scale... You can get the nose pointed up to an impressive angle and drag her across the flightline with excellent manueverability. I find just a touch of flaps helpful here.

And course, landing. She's big, and I've founs she likes a "scale" approach speed best. Read that as - don't try to chop power and float her in.

Set up a nice long, stable glide path, start pulling the power back and lock in a slightly nose-high attitude. Work your descent rate with power and let her just settle on to the runway. She land perfectly fine with this technique with all flap settings, including zero flaps. Once you're comfortable with her, use full flaps to get that nose way up there and plop her on to the ground 'carrier style'... this is my favorite approach (as far as the way she looks) by far!

Overall, another outstanding airframe that will certainly please all those clamoring for a Phantom.

And so much potential for upgrades!

From 3D printed parts, to bigger batteries and higher cell counts... not you mention the plethora of paint schemes to choose from.
      Can't wait to see what you guys do with them!

Enjoy your Phantoms fellas!
      You will not be disappointed.

Cheers,
      Vic

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
        ........My one caution is to avoid underpowering this or any model, especially a big, scale EDF.
        Is it fair to say the stock 9b system is about 2400 watts?

Comment

• Good synopsis Vic ... thanks for taking the time to get it "on paper" for the rest of us to enjoy reading.

Comment

• Some more video from the AZ Electric Festival today. This was during the Noon demo. Tony did fly it earlier in the day fully loaded, but I did not see him going out and missed getting video, sorry.

All I will say is, don't skip to the end of the video just to see the landing, and WATCH IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH!! You will NOT be disappointed! :)

Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
              As much as I love the scheme it comes in I think I am leaning towards doing an F-4J in the VF-84 Jolly Rogers'. Something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f323221.jpg
Views:	1585
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	117275
              And there is one of the thousands that ratify my prior post proposal. ;)
              Go NAVY Steve :Cool:
              Again, what say you Alpha
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Here's another cool video from our friend John, AKA Justwingit.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                  As much as I love the scheme it comes in I think I am leaning towards doing an F-4J in the VF-84 Jolly Rogers'. Something like this.

Name:	f323221.jpg
Views:	1585
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	117275
                  Steve, I couldn't agree more. I'm hoping to do mine in VMFA-232 scheme. I already sent Callie a message, to see what she can do. Is a J model all that different from a D?
                  Scott

Comment

• Visibly very little difference from what I can tell. Main thing is no IRST sensor under the nose. Since it is foam it is easy enough to remove.

Name:	SmartSelectImage_2018-02-11-01-44-03.png
Views:	864
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	117307

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                      Some more video from the AZ Electric Festival today. This was during the Noon demo. Tony did fly it earlier in the day fully loaded, but I did not see him going out and missed getting video, sorry.

All I will say is, don't skip to the end of the video just to see the landing, and WATCH IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH!! You will NOT be disappointed! :)

Beautiful flying. I loved it!

Comment

• Does anyone have ideas about inner gear door mods? I'd be intersted in hearing some!

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	117311Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	141.3 KB ID:	117312
                          For those who've ordered this outstanding F-4 Phantom....Congratulations! Your F-4 has just won the 'Best Scale Jet' Award at the Arizona Electric Festival 2018. Also, congrats to the Freewing/Motion Team for your exceptional work and dedication to bringing exciting products to the model aviation community.

Comment

• Thanks again motion and you test boys. Great vids, flying, pics n info. I'm excited lol :)

Comment

• Fantastic job as usual! Looks like I have more awesome shots to work with for a near future print ad! Well done and well deserved! Man I can't wait to snag this bird!!
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Nice job Tony. Congratulations. Way to represent the team behind this awesome plane and commemorate the brave pilots who flew this iconic jet. Thanks also to Evelyn and Vic and everyone else who has supported this project. I hope to get mine in time to have it ready for the Nall mid May but for sure by NEFI in June. Love the pics and vids. Freewing and MRC have done it again.

Comment

• Those disappointed with only the SEA scheme need some pills that chill. The fact this bird has been just short of screamed to be produced, is produced, and there are still complaints disguised as "recommendations?" Let's not poke the bear with this stuff, only days after its announcement. Trust the plan; perhaps they wanted to test the market with jungle and may add another scheme later. Otherwise make it a fun project to customize how you prefer!

Certainly all that are posting here are appreciative. But before we go trying to make improvements from our armchairs, let's just smile and be thankful yes?

Comment

• Heads up, friends, I'm on a live podcast with our friends at http://www.rcafterhours.com/live right now. Tune in if you want to hear us jabber about aircraft, and ask questions!
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                                      Those disappointed with only the SEA scheme need some pills that chill. The fact this bird has been just short of screamed to be produced, is produced, and there are still complaints disguised as "recommendations?" Let's not poke the bear with this stuff, only days after its announcement. Trust the plan; perhaps they wanted to test the market with jungle and may add another scheme later. Otherwise make it a fun project to customize how you prefer!

Certainly all that are posting here are appreciative. But before we go trying to make improvements from our armchairs, let's just smile and be thankful yes?
                                      You are spot on how long have we been hearing about how bad everyone out there wanted this plane produced in a big 90mm version and the instant it is announced there are complaints about it. I would have thought everyone would have been slobbering all over them selves trying to hit order instead of whining about not having one produced in every livery and model variation ever produced. Come on guys remember 2 weeks ago when you were dreaming of having one of these produced in your life time.

Comment

• Thanks guys!

Alpha, Evelyn and I are enjoying the podcast, now we're an hour late getting on the road for home. Haha! We'll finish listening when we get home, in about 7 hours. Great job!

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                                          Those disappointed with only the SEA scheme need some pills that chill. The fact this bird has been just short of screamed to be produced, is produced, and there are still complaints disguised as "recommendations?" Let's not poke the bear with this stuff, only days after its announcement. Trust the plan; perhaps they wanted to test the market with jungle and may add another scheme later. Otherwise make it a fun project to customize how you prefer!

I'm with you, and wanting it in a USMC scheme, don't think I'm complaining!:):) The jets this company is building are just amazing. Getting to modify the new F-4, make it different, make it unique, that's even better. I absolutely love the new Skyhawk, but have always wanted a TA-4, so I made one! And that has been the most exciting thing I've done to a model airplane in years. No complaints here, only praise for MotionRC, and the amazing modelers who frequent this Squwak!

Comment

Working...
                                          X