X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing Twin 80mm F-14D Tomcat Thread

After a year of development we are pleased to announce the upcoming release of Freewing's newest Super Scale Series EDF jet, the venerable F-14D Tomcat! Powered by twin 80mm 12B fans, this F-14 recreates the 25th anniversary livery which adorned BuNos 159630 from VF-2 squadron, the "Bounty Hunters". Aircraft in VF-2 had the callsign "Bullet", and we're confident in saying Freewing's model of "Bullet 101" will bring a smile to the faces of RC pilots around the world who have been waiting for an electric F-14 PNP at this level.

Developed in partnership with Motion RC's team for over a year, "Project Hannibal" as it was called internally has undergone several prototype phases to zero in on the performance and handling we want in a PNP model. Not too fast or slow, not too heavy but still adequately strong and rigid (especially in the wing box), not too unstable, still highly scale, still a good size people will want and yet the majority will still be able to transport somewhat easily, still within a reasonable price-range given all its features, etc. I will not disclose all the details of our development processes but suffice to say we have LOTS of time into this aircraft to balance out those and many other factors.

I have about 240 flights total on different prototypes to fully explore how this bird handles. We'll be providing a range of setup options for handling the sweep mixing and flap mixing. We're still working on that which is why the model hadn't been planned to be announced for another three weeks. Due to that original timeline, we do not have official video ready just yet, but look for that in the coming week or so.

Specifications:
    Aircraft: F-14D "Bullet 101", VF-2 Squadron Bounty Hunters, BuNos 159630

Scale: ~1:8.3 scale
    Length: 61.5/1563mm
    Wingspan (wings forward): 61.5"/1562mm
    Wingspan (wings swept): 38"/965mm

Top Speed: 114mph
    Landing Speed: 36mph
    Dry weight: 4162g

Power system:
    Twin 80mm 12B metal shrouded EDFs and twin 80A ESCs, powered by twin 6s 4000-5000mAh (it's basically two 80mm Jets crammed into one)
    8A UBEC
    Plenty of space for twin 6s 5000 or even 5800s.
    Mixed throttle flight time: 4:00 on 6s 4000mAh 40c. 5:00 on 5000mAh 50c. Put your timer at 3 minutes initially and gradually increase time on subsequent flights after voltage measurements, depending on your flying style.

Channels: 7 minimum. Ailerons, Flaps, Elevator, Rudder, Throttle, Gear, Sweep. 8 would allow flaperons to aid flaps (Not necessary, but it looks neat)

Sweep Mechanism: Aluminum wing box with four second worm driven actuators. Brass ball link hardware, steel rods, and steel bearings. Two people can lift the aircraft up by holding it four inches inside either of its wingtips with only a few millimeters of flex from tip to tip.

Lights: Scale "daybright" light package. Static nav lights on wingtips, static nav lights on top and bottom of wing root, static anti-collision light on port vertical, blinking tail position light on vertical. Landing light on the nose strut.

Plastic details include: Tailcones, arrestor hook, antennas, chinpod, pitots, cockpit details.

Ply details include: Wing fences and ventral fins.

Retracts: Aluminum trailing link double wheel nose, and Oleo mains. Mains have aluminum axle bearings. Sequenced double plastic door on the nose. Developing a 90 degree rotating main was not feasible due to the fact that the wingbox sits right where the wheel would be stored. We opted for a rock-solid sweeping wing mechanism instead of the "cool" factor of a rotating main wheel.

Assembly: Easy assembly for a model this large. Screw on the verticals, screw on the horizontals, position the wing onto the bearing block and screw it down, screw the wingbox cover on, epoxy the forward section on (like the F-5), pop on the magnetic fiberglass nose cone, glue on the chinpod and assorted surface details, bind to your receiver. Takes about an hour not including servo burn-in time.

Weapon Set Optional, purchased separately. Initial Set is "Standard Patrol" and includes two Phoenix, two Sparrow, two Sidewinder. Future Weapon Sets will likely include an "Armed TARPS" or "Smart Attack" loaded, and/or an Interdiction or "Long Range Intercept" loadout.

To those who will ask why we chose not to include slats. We evaluated one of the prototypes with slats, and they simply didn't contribute positively enough to the slow speed handling of the model enough to justify the gain in complexity, cost, and weight. We save almost a pound, which itself lowers the stall speed more than the slats did. I love scale, but not at that cost.

Pricing and Availability:
    The Pre-Order page will be up in a week or so once ETA and pricing is finalized. Until then... go ahead and armchair quarterback this Unicorn. You're welcome .
    Attached Files
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

RE: Freewing Twin 80mm F-14D Tomcat

As a Navy man, I have got to have one of these.  I had many opportunities to witness this beauty take of and carrier land.  This is my all time favorite.  Thanks for getting this one.  Now you got my attention for sure.

Comment

WOW! Awesome jet, and I can only imagine how twin 12 blade 80mm fans sound on this one. Incredible.

However, I suspect this will be another one that I will have to watch someone else own and fly. Twin 6 cell batteries-ouch $! Still, for those with the desire and funding to go for it, I am sure this will be a very impressive jet. I can't wait to see some of the videos from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
        After a year of development we are pleased to announce the upcoming release of Freewing's newest Super Scale Series EDF jet, the venerable F-14D Tomcat! Powered by twin 80mm 12B fans, this F-14 recreates the 25th anniversary livery which adorned BuNos 159630 from VF-2 squadron, the "Bounty Hunters". Aircraft in VF-2 had the callsign "Bullet", and we're confident in saying Freewing's model of "Bullet 101" will bring a smile to the faces of RC pilots around the world who have been waiting for an electric F-14 PNP at this level.

Developed in partnership with Motion RC's team for over a year, "Project Hannibal" as it was called internally has undergone several prototype phases to zero in on the performance and handling we want in a PNP model. Not too fast or slow, not too heavy but still adequately strong and rigid (especially in the wing box), not too unstable, still highly scale, still a good size people will want and yet the majority will still be able to transport somewhat easily, still within a reasonable price-range given all its features, etc. I will not disclose all the details of our development processes but suffice to say we have LOTS of time into this aircraft to balance out those and many other factors.

I have about 240 flights total on different prototypes to fully explore how this bird handles. We'll be providing a range of setup options for handling the sweep mixing and flap mixing. We're still working on that which is why the model hadn't been planned to be announced for another three weeks. Due to that original timeline, we do not have official video ready just yet, but look for that in the coming week or so.

Specifications:
        Aircraft: F-14D "Bullet 101", VF-2 Squadron Bounty Hunters, BuNos 159630

Scale: ~1:8.3 scale
        Length: 61.5/1563mm
        Wingspan (wings forward): 61.5"/1562mm
        Wingspan (wings swept): 38"/965mm

Top Speed: 114mph
        Landing Speed: 36mph
        Dry weight: 4162g

Power system:
        Twin 80mm 12B metal shrouded EDFs and twin 80A ESCs, powered by twin 6s 4000-5000mAh (it's basically two 80mm Jets crammed into one)
        8A UBEC
        Plenty of space for twin 6s 5000 or even 5800s.
        Mixed throttle flight time: 4:00 on 6s 4000mAh 40c. 5:00 on 5000mAh 50c. Put your timer at 3 minutes initially and gradually increase time on subsequent flights after voltage measurements, depending on your flying style.

Channels: 7 minimum. Ailerons, Flaps, Elevator, Rudder, Throttle, Gear, Sweep. 8 would allow flaperons to aid flaps (Not necessary, but it looks neat)

Sweep Mechanism: Aluminum wing box with four second worm driven actuators. Brass ball link hardware, steel rods, and steel bearings. Two people can lift the aircraft up by holding it four inches inside either of its wingtips with only a few millimeters of flex from tip to tip.

Lights: Scale "daybright" light package. Static nav lights on wingtips, static nav lights on top and bottom of wing root, static anti-collision light on port vertical, blinking tail position light on vertical. Landing light on the nose strut.

Plastic details include: Tailcones, arrestor hook, antennas, chinpod, pitots, cockpit details.

Ply details include: Wing fences and ventral fins.

Retracts: Aluminum trailing link double wheel nose, and Oleo mains. Mains have aluminum axle bearings. Sequenced double plastic door on the nose. Developing a 90 degree rotating main was not feasible due to the fact that the wingbox sits right where the wheel would be stored. We opted for a rock-solid sweeping wing mechanism instead of the "cool" factor of a rotating main wheel.

Assembly: Easy assembly for a model this large. Screw on the verticals, screw on the horizontals, position the wing onto the bearing block and screw it down, screw the wingbox cover on, epoxy the forward section on (like the F-5), pop on the magnetic fiberglass nose cone, glue on the chinpod and assorted surface details, bind to your receiver. Takes about an hour not including servo burn-in time.

Weapon Set Optional, purchased separately. Initial Set is "Standard Patrol" and includes two Phoenix, two Sparrow, two Sidewinder. Future Weapon Sets will likely include an "Armed TARPS" or "Smart Attack" loaded, and/or an Interdiction or "Long Range Intercept" loadout.

To those who will ask why we chose not to include slats. We evaluated one of the prototypes with slats, and they simply didn't contribute positively enough to the slow speed handling of the model enough to justify the gain in complexity, cost, and weight. We save almost a pound, which itself lowers the stall speed more than the slats did. I love scale, but not at that cost.

Pricing and Availability:
        The Pre-Order page will be up in a week or so once ETA and pricing is finalized. Until then... go ahead and armchair quarterback this Unicorn. You're welcome .
        Wow!!! You just made my day. This will be Freewing's largest EDF and am sure will be very popular if within a reasonable price point. Chris

Comment

Awesome!  Bravo to you guys for doing this.  You just can't go wrong with an F-14 :)  I might need to save up for it (or request it as a Christmas gift), but I certainly see one of these in my future!

Comment

Videos are going up today, stay tuned!
            [hr]
            First two videos are up! We'll be adding a couple more as the week progresses.

Product Overview
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyFyU9RCMsg

Maiden Flight Tutorial
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TgFOJ_sILo

Sunset
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8pbrjQKgo

Comment

Wow! These new aircraft are becoming amazing to say the least. I watched the new Eflite T-28 Large Scale model last weekend at a flying field. They are doing a phenomenal job with EPO. The more it's used they are smoothing it out nicely.

Comment

WOW awesome plane cant wait to own one

Comment

So many sweet super scale Freewing/MRC EDF Jets, so little time!!!
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Alpha could you please give me the dimension outside to outside of the intakes at the underside of the wing/

Comment

I just have to say what an amazing plane this is.  Although I doubt if I will ever see one of my own because of cost and skill set, it doesn't stop me from recognizing what an advancement this plane represents.  Beautiful job guys, can't wait for Rich or Ryan to get their hands on one and talk us through the flight.  Just the size and detail is enough to blow me away.  Great job

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

Garyjet, so you mean the inner wall of the intakes, or the outer wall?

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
                          I just have to say what an amazing plane this is.  Although I doubt if I will ever see one of my own because of cost and skill set, it doesn't stop me from recognizing what an advancement this plane represents.  Beautiful job guys, can't wait for Rich or Ryan to get their hands on one and talk us through the flight.  Just the size and detail is enough to blow me away.  Great job

Grossman56
                          Hi Grossman

Don't be intimidated of the Tomcat. You would be surprise on how stable it is. (Wings out of Course) Im looking forward to getting my order of them.

Cheers

Comment

All I can say is, one day!  I figure to get another season out of the P51s and the Pitts then try my hand at jets.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                              Garyjet, so you mean the inner wall of the intakes, or the outer wall?
                              Alpha the outer wall at it's widest part at the under side of the wing.

Comment

I can't wait for this! Looks awesome!

Comment

How about a wood version?

As much as I think some "foamies" are better than others, and I think this one is particular is AWESOME I still have a love for the ones that are balsa with the Durakote stuff...

How hard would it be to have plans made (or even a laser-cut wooden kit) for a bird like this? Using all the same "guts" but an airframe and wings that are covered wood? Maybe even with a material one could airbrush?

Just curious. I intend to get one of these in any case - but having one of these as a wood flyer would be beyond awesome...

Thanks!

Ryan

Comment

Can't wait!!! :) totally going to get one when they're released! MotionRC and Freewing are the best! Especially since their doing a twin 80 F-14!!! Will definitely fly this one with respect and honor!
                                    Because I was Inverted... :)
                                    HOO-AH!!

Comment

We're very happy to announce that the Freewing container shipment which includes the first shipment of F-14s and a second shipment of F-15s is scheduled to arrive at our facility tomorrow. All customers who pre-ordered the F-14 for a "Mid-November" release date will receive a tracking number for their incoming package tomorrow, Oct 29 or the day after, Oct 30. Thanks again to everyone for your patience, faith, and the continued opportunity to earn your business.

Comment

Hey Alph.MotionRC
                                        Is it possible to make a build video with special attention to the swing wing set up ? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X