Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found that the elevators need the high rates recommended in the book for the entire flight. The low rates recommended don't seem to give enough throw, especially when inverted. I have my ailerons at the low rates recommended. It rolls fine with the wings out, and like a drill bit when swept. Either turn down ailerons even more with wings swept, or disable ailerons in swept mode and have tailerons only.
    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
      and like a drill bit when swept. Either turn down ailerons even more with wings swept, or disable ailerons in swept mode and have tailerons only.
      Thanks, Pat. You mirror Geeks findings on this. I'm disabling the ailerons in swept mode and when wings are out, each wing aileron only go up slightly. I'm also going with full span flaps.
      I've just completed the control surface centering for now. I had to do it with stuff going directly to the RX in stages as the control board was defective. I needed to know that everything actually worked when the board was taken out of the equation. I'm waiting for a new one to arrive next week before I can finalize all the programming.

Comment

• Just remember that the control board automatically does mixing for the elevators and ailerons so that the elevators act as both elevators and tailerons simultaneously. In order to program flight modes that disable the ailerons with wings swept you may need to take the elevators and ailerons off the board and run them direct to the RX.
        Pat

Comment

Just remember that the control board automatically does mixing for the elevators and ailerons so that the elevators act as both elevators and tailerons simultaneously. In order to program flight modes that disable the ailerons with wings swept you may need to take the elevators and ailerons off the board and run them direct to the RX.
          Yes, that's the way I understand it. I plan to keep the board for the tailerons and plug the wing ailerons directly to AUX3 and AUX4 and do a mix for ailerons (up only and only when wings are out) and for full span flaps.
          Did you feel the need for gyro stabilization on the tailerons? Or did the plane feel pretty solid in various flight conditions? Of course, I'll fly it first without.

Comment

• I've never flown it with a gyro and feel it doesn't need one. The biggest thing to watch for is trim when the wings are back. On my first one she wanted to roll right with the wings back, but after trimming the wings back position, it flew fine. I swept the wings on my second flight yesterday and it was rock solid.
            Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
              Very nice! Good to see an uneventful maiden.
              Picking up on your comment about holding the nose up, does this mean it's better to have higher throws on ELE with wings swept back? What about the roll? "RC Geek" indicated that when he first swept the wings back, the roll sensitivity was very alarming so he dialed down the AIL throw for swept wing. Combining what you experienced and what Geek experienced, should the ELE rate stay high and the AIL rate go low? Did you find that it rolled very easily in swept wing?
              Yes i think that's spot on - keep elevator at 100% all of the time, it's not hugely pitch sensitive and even with fairly low expo it rotates nice and smoothly around the pitch axis.

The roll rate is interesting. I started with RCGeek's throws and actually found the roll rate with wings swept a little lacking - but understand Chris is a scale nut and probably has it set up exactly like the scale bird lol. He dials the roll rate down a LOT with the wings swept. His settings are very safe, just be aware that if you go for an aileron roll with the wings swept it's going to be a slow roll. And those few seconds where the wings are sweeping back, but the rates have already gone to low, you'll want to be straight and level because the plane will hardly budge. Great starting point but i've been working my way up from there.

FWIW i think his whole setup is a perfect starting point - you'll be flying nice and high on your maidens and you can make some decisions about rates from there.

re: gyro, they say big birds fly better and that holds true for the tomcat. My first flight was, of course, gyro off - and it was rock solid even with a bit of a breeze around. My main interest in stabilisation was due to reports of some rocking with the wings swept. I havent flown it with gyro off and wings swept, but do have it configured to dial back on the gains a little for the swept mode.

Comment

I've never flown it with a gyro and feel it doesn't need one. The biggest thing to watch for is trim when the wings are back. On my first one she wanted to roll right with the wings back, but after trimming the wings back position, it flew fine. I swept the wings on my second flight yesterday and it was rock solid.
                If it's trimmed with wings swept, does it go out of trim when you put the wings back out?

Comment

• getting started with wing platter mod. its very well machined. this is a little heavier (80 grams more) than stock but im looking for longevity of the landing gear in grass landing and the occasional plop onto the runway. hopefully ready to fly in a couple weeks
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Any weight penalty will be worth it, what a beautiful bit of kit.

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    If it's trimmed with wings swept, does it go out of trim when you put the wings back out?
                    Mine is thankfully consistent between modes, but one solution would be seperate flight modes for wings out vs. swept which would allow for unique trim settings.

I did have a slight roll during the sweep itself, which I chalked up to one wing moving quicker/earlier. Revisited the linkages and shimming on the bench and ended up putting a thicker shim underneath one of the wings which seems to have addressed the issue. I wonder if it was perhaps dragging on the top of the fuse - I did have to do a bit of sanding there during the initial build to get the clearance right.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      On my first one I set up two separate trims; wings out and wings swept. On this second one I don't have any trim issues in either configuration.
                      Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                        Mine is thankfully consistent between modes, but one solution would be seperate flight modes for wings out vs. swept which would allow for unique trim settings.
                        I haven't looked into just how to do that but I guess I'll cross that bridge when and if it comes up.

Comment

Finally, after 4 years of talking about it, and crashing the first one before I could do it, it's finally done!

Maiden report of my Freewing F-14 repainted in VF-1 Wolfpack colors circa 1975. This is actually my second Freewing F-14, so I already knew how she handled. The only major difference between my first one and this one is I put a pair of the T-33 fans/inrunners in it after removing the stock system, and added Chris Wolfe's (Thercgeek.com) twin burners for 36mm inrunners.

On the first flight my landing gear somehow got reversed in the radio even after I had tested it out on the ground the night before, so the first flight was with gear down the whole time. Was a little worried about it so I landed early without getting it properly trimmed. It also made me rush the landing and it bounced and scraped a wingtip up a little. No other damage though.

The second flight from which these pics came (thanks greenseaships!) I went up with wyldkrd flying his E-Flite F-4 and we did a little dogfighting. The gear went up properly and I managed to swing the wings for one pass. I was about to make another low pass for the camera with the wings back when my timer went off, so I threw the wings out and rushed the landing again. Only a small bounce that time.

Next time I fly I'll put the ordnance and tanks on. The inrunners work really well on this bird. She gets off the ground much faster than the old stock power system, and definitely has more thrust and speed. I also added a few scale details that I 3D printed, namely some A-model nozzles and nose gear plate (thanks ChrisK!), pitot tube, NACA ducts for the ESCs and a fuel dump vent. I replaced the cheese grater venting on the belly with some thin styrene and added the NACA ducts for cooling.

Here's a bunch of pics, I should have some vid of the maiden later.
                          Pat, that is STUNNING! Congrats on the hard work; it really paid off! That maiden video was nerve shattering; I can only imagine how it felt with the controls in your own hands! hah

Comment

• Thanks! I'm putting it away for now until an event scheduled 3 weeks from now up in St George, UT. There will be lots of cameras there so I should have some more pics to share soon. This time I plan to put the tanks and ordnance on as well (didn't do that for either flight on Saturday).
                            Pat

Comment

• cant wait to get our 14s together pat!! Will be interestong to see how the inrunner and outrunner 9bl compare

Comment

• Oh man .... I crashed it ...total pilot error

Flight nine the eight previous flights were all about perfecting it's flight envelope using 4000s and 5000s

Well today after some mode programing I got the trims all worked out swepts the wings tore up the sky and at 3 minutes tried to land bad approach and on the go around ....

The battery's died ....

I've been coming down with 25 percent half throttle on 4000s but this time it was wings swept I feel the need for speed ...

And I screwed up

Happens now mind you if I was flying telemetry this would not have happened imof ....

I'm using a spectrum 8 channel receiver with telemetry from another jet but

I didn't want to disconnect the plug from the other jet and why am I using that receiver?

Because HH botched my order for a 12 channel one which last I heard is somewhere between ny and Illinois

Three weeks late ....

Plus I paid for two day shipping ...

But at the end of the day I cut a corner ...

My fault

I'll order another one this week and use this ones system in the new mig which I must have

This tomcat is a blast to fly and buyer beware once it's all worked out it's an easy jet to overfly because it's just that much fun

Dam you alpha

Comment

• These two go together like cornflakes and milk
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Man, sorry to hear that Johnny. It sucks when "the Defense Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid."

I almost did that on my second flight last weekend. Was dogfighting with my friend's F-4. When he put his gear down I decided to sweep the wings for a few passes before landing. As I was setting up for my second pass my timer went off unexpectedly as I was not paying enough attention during the dogfighting. My landing took longer than normal, and when I checked the packs I had 9% left. That was a close call.
                                    Pat

Comment

• I now see why this thing is considered so intimidating. I picked this up from Lance who got it from George (TiredIron), but never flew it! There is A LOT going on inside of this thing. I won't be flying this for quite a while as I advance my skills on the f4 and su30, but holy smokes it's amazing. For anyone around my age that used to have a GI Joe f-14 tomcat back in the mid 80's this thing is a dream come true. Lance gave me George's programming on an SD card and I really like the way he programmed it. He went 8 channel (so no full span flaps), but he mixed out all of the Aileron in wing swept mode. George also put in the A-10 power system. There's a hobby eagle gyro in there, but not connected so I don't know how I feel about that. When you pull the sweep mechanism cover off and see the absolute nightmare of wires under there it's pretty overwhelming. The left flap doesn't work, so I'm thinking it's possibly a burned out servo - no biggie. Oh, that slop in the elevators? Everything else is intact - she's got some rash and isn't perfect but jesus.... Pretty stunning.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Easy way to check the left flap servo (if you have a servo tester). Pull the wing cover off, unplug the flap servo from the junction board and hook it up to a servo tester (make sure the wings are out first). Sometimes the connector to the junction board just needs a tap.

You will like it with the A-10 power system. I put that in my first one after flying it stock for a while. Definitely could tell an improvement in thrust. Took less time to get off the ground and had better vertical. No much of an increase in speed, but having the added thrust is great.

For the "spaghetti mess" under the wing cover, zip ties and tape come in real handy here. Just make sure there are no wires over the screw holes.
                                        Pat

Comment

• Yeah the elevator servos are a bit sloppy but it doesnt seem to result in any bad tendencies in the air. But a lot of guys replace them, you just need a 'matching pair' as one of them is reversed. The hitec programmable servos are popular for that reason.

Comment

Working...
                                          X