• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And here’s the video:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/motionsic
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPVAirCombat
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fpvaircombat/channel/

Comment

• Great footage! Nailed the landing too...Well done!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Thanks Aros! The T-33 is such an easy, worry free plane to fly. Yet with a wide speed envelop, it’s a perfect camera platform for filming other jets. The F-14 on the other hand, gets my adrenaline pumping! I had one flight on it FPV, first ever in the F-14. Barely got it back on the ground in one piece. My friend Alex was too trusting with his plane...

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          I'm NOT an F-14 pilot but ........................... You will likely have to do what SebArt does with their now discontinued Mig29. You use 2 gyros and some precise application of a "Y" or two. The Mig29 uses one gyro set to "normal" wing to stabilize the standard control surfaces and the second set to "delta" to stabilize and control the vector nozzles. You could do something similar. **However, you MUST have some way to shut down the gyro for the main wings anytime they are NOT in the fully extended position. I don't think you can rely upon putting the gyro ON/OFF on the same switch as the wing sweep as it will activate the gyro while the wings are being extended since the gyro will see that switch position as soon as you throw it (the extension sweep is very slow). You don't want the ailerons moving while the wings are still paritally retracted. The second gyro would be for the tailerons. Rudder can go in either gyro but I'd put it on the delta gyro.
          **You may have to assign the "ON/OFF" of one or both gyros (on a "Y" or leave the delta ON all the time) to an unused switch and make sure you remember to throw that switch at the proper time.
          The "Y" would come in where you need to split off the main ailerons and one of the tailerons to different gyros. EG, the "Y" comes out of the RX's AIL port - one split goes to the gyro for normal wing, then goes to the main ailerons (they need to be "Y'd"; the other side would go to the "delta" gyro and into the AIL port then to one of the tailerons). The ELE port of the RX goes to the ELE input of the "delta" gyro, then to the other taileron. TX is set to "normal wing, normal tail". You'll have to go trial and error to figure out which taileron goes to which gyro port and whether or not a servo reverser may be required. You are best to NOT mess with servo reversing on the TX, however, if the lone taileron needs reversing, you "could" do it on the TX. If the one that's split off from the main ailerons needs to be reversed, best to leave the TX alone and apply the reverser on that side of the split. Of course, get everything working as they should BEFORE installing the gyros so the directions are correct. You'll have to set the delta on the TX for this initial test and calibration for the tailerons, then again in "normal wing/tail" when testing the standard surfaces and when hooking up the gyros.
          Couldnt you just use the spektrum 9ch rx w/ASMX and avoid the dbl gyro? Asking for a friend😏

Comment

• Originally posted by Look ma, no trim View Post

Couldnt you just use the spektrum 9ch rx w/ASMX and avoid the dbl gyro? Asking for a friend😏
            Yes, you could. That would be the simplest and most versatile way. However, at this present time, Spektrum does not sell a 9-ch AS3X RX. It is rumored that they are going to offer one at some future date (unknown). The best they can offer now is an 8-ch AS3X RX. When/if it comes out, it'll likely cost ~$150.00 or more. For that price, I can buy a 10-ch RX AND 5 to 6 HobbyEagle gyros.

Comment

Yes, you could. That would be the simplest and most versatile way. However, at this present time, Spektrum does not sell a 9-ch AS3X RX. It is rumored that they are going to offer one at some future date (unknown). The best they can offer now is an 8-ch AS3X RX. When/if it comes out, it'll likely cost ~$150.00 or more. For that price, I can buy a 10-ch RX AND 5 to 6 HobbyEagle gyros.
              Check your personal l email.. They're a little more expensive, but the simplicity and reliability are just convenient.. Ive never used a stand alone gyro, lol, do i need higher education to incorporate it into my line up? Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                Those look like to be the inrunner

I did a test a while back on the stock 12 blade fans vs the inrunners
                Since I fly off grass, I felt that the heavy F-14 needs more power. Enter the inrunners from Freewing.Brenden's, who is running FMS fans.Brenden's channel ...

Thanks for all the support regarding the main landing gear plates guys! Have some parts in the works for the F-18 too
                Quick question, do you have to buy the metal fan power system for the upgrade, or can you just swap the motor out of the original housing? Thank you sir!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                  I have a video of Tony flying this past Saturday. Working on that one tonight to post here. Both of these guys really know how to wring out their F-14s! Although, Tony is really just borrowing his F-14 from Evelyn, since Hannibal is hers. He's still working on his.

I was there when Evelyn flew her first circuit with Hannibal. Only matter of time before we get to see a father/daughter F-14 formation flight. Where's the popcorn!
                  Off topic question Alpha, but when upgrading the motor for the f-14, do you have to buy the whole new meatl fan and all, or can you just swap the motors out of the fans?

Thank you in advance!

Comment

• when upgrading the motor for the f-14, do you have to buy the whole new meatl fan and all, or can you just swap the motors out of the fans?

thanks in advance !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Look ma, no trim View Post

Check your personal l email.. They're a little more expensive, but the simplicity and reliability are just convenient.. Ive never used a stand alone gyro, lol, do i need higher education to incorporate it into my line up? Lol
                      Thanks for the message. I appreciate it. I'll let you "let the cat out of the bag" when and if you want to. I find these AS3X RXs a bit new (for me anyway) and hard for me to understand how to efficiently program them. Others find them "child's play". On the other hand, I find stand alone gyros to be very simple to set up, although the current versions of the Lemon stabilized RXs PLUS are very simple to get going. I must admit, however, that the SAFE system on Spektrum RXs are far more reliable than the equivalent "auto recovery" system of other gyros.
                      As for your other question about the fans, The stock EDFs are "outrunners". You can't install an inrunner motor into an outrunner fan. It won't fit due to the way the motor is mounted and secured. You need a fan that's built to take an inrunner motor.

Comment

• Don't overthink the gyros on this plane. Run it on the tailerons (and rudder) and don't worry about the wing ailerons. The horizontal stabs have more than enough authority to stabilise the plane.

Radio setups on this plane are half of the fun.

I settled on an S8R and X8R to give 16 channels, 15 of which are in use i think and with gyro stabilsiation on the primary control surfaces.

Comment

• Sharing another F-14 in-trail formation video. My flying bud Alex is getting good at staying on station

Comment

• Hey guys! Not sure if anyone is interested, but i have found a sweet little cache of Spektrum AR9350 ASMX rx's Canada.

they can be found here, if interested https://amr-rc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ar9350

they wont last , good luck!

Comment

• Interview with Shoes talking about his career flying the F-14 during the glory days of fighter aviation (the 80s). He was also part of the filming of THE FI...

Interview with Alan "Shoes" Mullen - TOMCAT Pilot and TOPGUN Instructor Pilot

Hey Tomcat Fans, allow yourself a couple hours, grab an adult beverage and watch this 'ewetoob" interview with C.W. "Mover" Lemoine and Alan "Shoes" Mullen. Really funny stories and inspiring for those who might want to commit to becoming a "Fighter Pilot". You won't regret it. Best to all this Holiday Season, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Ah Elbee there you go again offering up terrific ways to kill time while the wife just rolls her eyes. Bless you.
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Did any of you have trouble hitting CG with the back to back battery position? I carved out the foam all the way to the metal crossbar in the back. I have my 825g 6s lipos pushed back to the bar and the other one butting right up against the rear battery - in other words as far back as they can possibly go. Measuring ~ 87mm CG the plane is very nose heavy. Anyone else find this issue with similar 6000 batteries?

Comment

• Originally posted by evensen007 View Post
                                    Did any of you have trouble hitting CG with the back to back battery position? I carved out the foam all the way to the metal crossbar in the back. I have my 825g 6s lipos pushed back to the bar and the other one butting right up against the rear battery - in other words as far back as they can possibly go. Measuring ~ 87mm CG the plane is very nose heavy. Anyone else find this issue with similar 6000 batteries?
                                    I use one of the lighter 5000's (Gens Ace) weighing in at around 730g each, pushed all the way back to the metal (after carving out the foam). It just balances. With your 825g ones, you're running another 200g more than mine. You may need tail weight or use lighter batteries. The recommended battery for this plane is 4000mah. 6000mah is quite a lot more so you'll have to be creative.

Comment

I use one of the lighter 5000's (Gens Ace) weighing in at around 730g each, pushed all the way back to the metal (after carving out the foam). It just balances. With your 825g ones, you're running another 200g more than mine. You may need tail weight or use lighter batteries. The recommended battery for this plane is 4000mah. 6000mah is quite a lot more so you'll have to be creative.
                                      That actually makes perfect sense; I forgot that this jet wasn't really intended to run giant batteries. I have some Spektrum 5000's that are 690 grams. I will go try to CG with those and I bet I'll have better luck. Thanks again!

Comment

Xviper, as some one who has one NIB ... this is very valuable information!

Thanks man!
                                        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post

Xviper, as some one who has one NIB ... this is very valuable information!

Thanks man!
                                          Yer welcome. I suggest you find the build video by RC Informer. He outlines in detail all the stuff you should do to make the battery bay work for 2 larger batteries (ie, 5000mah+), plus a few other really useful mods to make this plane better. Then there's the RC Geek programming set up. Really good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                          X